PDA

View Full Version : Time to make the donuts.......

Katzateer
10-06-2014, 08:08 AM
A commercial reminded me of one of the disappointments of morning breakfast on the run.

Donuts are no longer made on site at DD. in fact, all the sandwiches are just zapped in the microwave. You can do just as well grabbing a frozen breakfast sandwich at the grocery.

Wonder how much is just microwaved at McDonalds.

I know at Wendy's they chop up lettuce in the store which tastes better than the bagged stuff. Not sure what breakfast is like-no Wendy's close to home and work.

I am in the mood for some fresh Krispy Cremes right out of the fryer!:cloud9:

Ian
10-06-2014, 09:59 AM
I love Dunkin' Donuts coffee, but I'm sorry their donuts and sandwiches are just nasty. You'd do better heading up the road to a gas station or something.

:ack:

Dunkin' Donuts is for coffee ... Wawa is for breakfast sandwiches!

TheDuckRocks
10-06-2014, 10:18 AM
We very recently had a new DD open up just a few blocks from us. After years and years of not eating a doughnut because of watching my weight, I fell off the wagon. They were nasty! Thank goodness, no more temptation.

Katzateer
10-06-2014, 11:36 AM

:thumbsup:

Melanie
10-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Yep, there is nothing like HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW at KK.

I've never liked DD, but I also didn't have one until I was probably in my 30s.

SurferStitch
10-06-2014, 12:00 PM
I can't agree here... Our DD's in the area have great doughnuts (at least in the morning). I eat about 3 doughnuts a year, and just had their pumpkin spice doughnut yesterday... delicious! I also love their peanut butter cream with chocolate frosting.

We had a DD in the area that does make all of their doughnuts on site. They advertise it on their sign.

I don't like how the flatbread on their veggie egg white sandwich turns into a crispy hockey puck, though. I've told them to only heat it half way, but they still manage to make at least half of it hard as a rock. Needless to say, I don't get those anymore.

It's funny, because all I ever hear is how amazing Krispy Kreme doughnuts are, and I think those are pretty nasty. Every one I've ever seen is all wet and slimy.... now that's gross.

Katzateer
10-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I can't agree here... Our DD's in the area have great doughnuts (at least in the morning). I eat about 3 doughnuts a year, and just had their pumpkin spice doughnut yesterday... delicious! I also love their peanut butter cream with chocolate frosting.

Nice to know some DD stores still make their doughnuts on site. They are very good when freshly made. My husband's aunt worked at one for years and spoke highly of their donuts( she also broke her arm - twice- slipping in grease from the fryer. After the second time -about 5 years after the first slip - she retired from the donut making job).

BrerGnat
10-06-2014, 12:25 PM
I think Krispy Kreme donuts are horrible. I prefer cake donuts though. I can't speak for how good DD yeast donuts are but I LOVE their chocolate cake donut as well as the sour cream donut. It really doesn't bother me that they are not made in the store. They are always made in a nearby store and then driven over by truck.

Funnily enough, DD itself doesn't even classify their stores as "Donut shops." They consider themselves, primarily, a BEVERAGE company (coffee, mainly). Their coffee is the best, IMO.

princessgirls
10-06-2014, 12:42 PM
I love Dunkin' Donuts coffee, but I'm sorry their donuts and sandwiches are just nasty. You'd do better heading up the road to a gas station or something.

Agree 100%%%%%

magicofdisney
10-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Don't ask me how I found out, but I could inhale a dozen hot, fresh KK donuts in one sitting. It reminds me of eating cotton candy. They're like air and just disappear. I have to be in the mood for cake donuts but KK's require no prep from me at all. ;)

dobby2010
10-06-2014, 12:57 PM
This is blasphemy! Dunkin doughnuts are the best! I don't like Krispy Kreme at all, they are much too greasy, though there aren't many around here anyway.

Melanie
10-06-2014, 01:00 PM
I definitely think it's a regional thing. KK is southern and there's nothing better. DD's taste like they've been sitting on those racks for 2 days.

SBETigg
10-06-2014, 02:13 PM
I've never met a doughnut that I don't like. I like Dunkin's Donuts (some stores are better about keeping the fresher ones out and getting rid of the stale) and Krispy Kreme, and many more. Breakfast sandwiches, though, yeah, not a fan of Dunkin's. I love Egg McMuffins. I hate that I do, but I do. But as far as coffee, I like Dunkin best but I also like Starbucks. If you want to talk nasty, though... the frozen drink machines at fast food places are rarely cleaned. Frappucino, Dunkachino, Coolata, Slurpee.... all risky business.

kakn7294
10-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Our local DD donuts are terrible too. The store is inside a WalMart - I'd rather have the WalMart donuts!

baldburke
10-06-2014, 10:34 PM
DD is my preferred coffee. I would have much preferred DD at WDW for coffee over SB. A double chocolate donut at DD is my weakness, but you can keep the rest.

Wawa is a great choice for a fresh sandwiches (breakfast or lunch), but those pre-made Sizzli's are poor at best. Their new pizza doesn't look appetizing at all.

Loved the Wawa shout-out on the Goldbergs two weeks back. Although I don't think they've ever served beer.

AgentC
10-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Dunkin Donuts really vary by store. We have three within 15 minutes. The main store and its offshoot location in a gas station., always have fresh donuts. The third store is owned by a different franchisee and regularly has stale donuts and constantly runs out of stock.

I think it does tend to be a regional thing. I like both but find KK to be a little overly sweet for me but I also don't care for the glazed donuts as much at DD either. I prefer their cake donuts without are always soft and moist.

NJGIRL
10-07-2014, 09:13 AM
We have too many real Italian bakeries around here to ever get DD or KK. They just don't compare. I do like DD for their drinks.

PirateLover
10-07-2014, 10:37 AM
We have too many real Italian bakeries around here to ever get DD or KK. They just don't compare. I do like DD for their drinks.

Nothing can compare to a fresh donut from an Italian bakery! That being said DD is ok every now and then (especially when you get a late night craving and all the good bakeries are closed:blush:). As has been mentioned, the quality really varies from store to store. I feel like you can never go wrong with Munchkins, though :thumbsup:
I like to indulge in Krispy Kreme about once a year... usually Fat Tuesday.;)

JanetMegan
10-07-2014, 03:30 PM
We have a little local family run donut shop here, it's about 20 mins away thankfully! It literally has some of the best things I have EVER eaten, and I'm not just talking donuts either. If you want some donut drool happening you can check them out Dutch Monkey Donuts they even post photos on their FB page almost daily, it's wonderful ;)

Terra
10-08-2014, 07:09 AM

Indeed!

I actually prefer Publix donuts, though I've cut out starches and refined sugars for the last 10 months. I do miss a good donut!

princessgirls
10-08-2014, 09:44 AM
If any of you ever vacation in the Outerbanks of North Carolina....Try

DUCK DONUTS!!!

Whoa.... Heaven in a box!!!

They are better than people can imagine!
Julie:mickey:

momef3grls
10-16-2014, 05:44 PM
I love WaWa coffee and my local DD gives me gut rot something horrible..however I like the holes and so does my 911 shift and my grandson...the donuts and holes are great just not the coffee...so I get my coffee at wawa and pick up a treat at DD

Katzateer
10-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Had to go to my hometown of Evansville IN for a funeral and loaded up on Donut Bank donut holes. Their products are a little slice of heaven.

(Also brought back Pizza King stroms, Grippos, BBQ from Wolf's and Big B, Ski....thank goodness no hungry Hoosier mugged us before we made it back to PA)

Kairi_7378
10-26-2014, 10:20 PM
The next time you are in Philly to visit your daughter, you should visit Bieler's Bakery in the Reading Terminal. They make their donuts on site... all 30+ varieties of them! (They are not open on Sunday and Monday, though.)

Katzateer
10-27-2014, 07:05 AM
The next time you are in Philly to visit your daughter, you should visit Bieler's Bakery in the Reading Terminal. They make their donuts on site... all 30+ varieties of them! (They are not open on Sunday and Monday, though.)

Yes the donuts there are good -will be there tomorrow. My youngest and I are going to see Newsies.!:thumbsup: I did not know they were closed on Mondays.

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-27-2014, 08:17 AM

I completely agree, their donuts are :sick: The coffee in the shop is great, but I've bought the coffee in the store twice now and it just doesn't taste right...guess I'll stick to buying Starbucks

MississippiDisneyFreak
10-27-2014, 08:20 AM
A commercial reminded me of one of the disappointments of morning breakfast on the run.

Donuts are no longer made on site at DD. in fact, all the sandwiches are just zapped in the microwave. You can do just as well grabbing a frozen breakfast sandwich at the grocery.

Wonder how much is just microwaved at McDonalds.

I know at Wendy's they chop up lettuce in the store which tastes better than the bagged stuff. Not sure what breakfast is like-no Wendy's close to home and work.

I am in the mood for some fresh Krispy Cremes right out of the fryer!:cloud9:

We have a local Krispy Kreme that was having so many wrecks on the highway in front of it when the light was flashing so they had to install a traffic light right there:D I do love them but they're not my favorite, we have a local shop in Ocean Springs Tato Nut that makes the best

Hammer
10-27-2014, 10:21 AM
Do not care for Dunkin Donuts coffee, but when I drink coffee it is a latte or mocha and DD's are just too bland. When I want a latte or mocha, I go to Starbucks. For the record, the lattes from the Joffery's locations at WDW are pretty good. I agree 100% about WaWa breakfast sandwiches being the best!

For donuts, I think Dunkin donuts are not tasty, though the munchkins are okay. I like Krispy Kreme, but I can only eat one as they are really sweet. I swear, the one that I pass on the way to my Mom's home in Tampa must know when my plane lands as the Hot Doughnuts Now sign is always on as I drive by ;) !

Actually my favorite donuts are from Federal Donuts, which has a few shops in Philly, one right on my way to the office from the train. They serve only cake donuts and they are made fresh right in front of you, even at the outlet at Citizens Bank Park. I absolutely love the cinnamon brown sugar donuts :tasty: .

Katzateer
10-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Actually my favorite donuts are from Federal Donuts, which has a few shops in Philly, one right on my way to the office from the train. They serve only cake donuts and they are made fresh right in front of you, even at the outlet at Citizens Bank Park. I absolutely love the cinnamon brown sugar donuts :tasty: .

Funny you should mention Federal Donuts. I finally made it there this week when in Philly to see Newsies. I got the cinnamon sugar donut fresh and it was good. The chicken was also very good.

DizNee143
11-04-2014, 12:25 PM
I would love to taste a Krispy Kreme donut!
I get donuts every Sunday morning from DD as a treat for my family..the hubby and kids seem to enjoy them..I'll take a bite here or there..
There coffee is good..but I'm more of a Starbucks girl,when it comes to coffee