PDA

View Full Version : Kids raising $$ for Disney by being nice.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-05-2014, 12:08 PM
Can't handle the bickering in our house anymore..

We are starting the "Barry Kids Be Nice Board" (A home version of Rachels Challenge that they do at school) If we see them be nice to each other, play nice together, do home work or read on their own, and if our 4 year old Josh plays on his own (not on kindle) when we ask him too, if they compliment each other, help each other... They earn stickers on the board. (Ninja turtles for Josh, Owls for Alexandra, Rainbows for Samamntha) for each 2 stickers they get a dollar to spend at Disney in January. If they see each other do something nice, that we did not see, and tell us, both the kid who did it, and the kid who commented get a kindness sticker. (Kind of reverse tattling);)

Conversely there is the OOPS stickers. With Dora stickers (They all despise Dora) for each two Dora stickers they have to pick a chore from the chore jar. they get Dora stickers by bickering with each other, talking back, Making the annoying UUUHHHH sound that Shaun and I hate when they are asked to do something they don't want to do at that exact moment.

Their siblings can earn 2 nice stickers by helping them with the chore.

Lets see if this works... Remember before you comment, negative comments will earn you Dora stickers, and 2 Dora stickers mean you clean my house.
Conversely, I am not giving you cash or bringing you to Disney if you think I am brilliant, but feel free to share that as I, too, need positive reinforcement.:mickey:

Janmac
10-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I really like your positive reinforcement (do I get a Fairy Godmother sticker?). Always catch more flies with honey, or so I've heard.

Hopefully your kids have some chores they have to do all the time? Chores are a chore for sure but no chores unless it's a Dora sticker thing (crack up that they don't like Dora - you're doing something right) might not quite send the message you want to send.

I especially like the points for team work. And noticing. That's awesome.

Good luck with this. It should work very well, but you may get worn out being consistent, staying on top of the plan. I had a jobs plan with our kids and foster kids (It was kinda mostly for the foster kids but all the kids in the house took part). It took a considerably larger chunk of my time than I expected, checking on the quality of the work (read chores but I didn't call it that to teens) and then sitting down on the weekend to go over what was earned and what was going into savings, etc.

And finally, wow - hasn't inflation touched everything! I especially hate to see a kid wiggling a tooth.

I have heard that once habits are made, you can slack off on the stickers, etc. Like after your Disney trip. You should see continued behavior you like. :thumbsup:

Jan

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
10-05-2014, 12:38 PM
Than you, yes fairy godmother sticker for you. They do have regular chores and expectations, the chore jar is for stuff no one likes doing, and a few bonuses in there like "write a nice letter to a member of the family" Th kids are honest enough that if I say "put a sticker on the chart for yourself" they will only do one, and they have to writ what it was for. I heard once it takes 30 days to change a habit. So I am hoping this is long lasting with positive reinforcement.

vicster
10-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Good plan! Makes me wonder how my parents did it with four kids - bless them!

SBETigg
10-05-2014, 08:09 PM
The age old struggle to end sibling bickering. Great idea! I hope it works well for you. It's always good to have some inspiration. :mickey:

TheVBs
10-06-2014, 07:15 AM
I feel your pain! Sometimes the bickering makes me want to jump out a window. Love your plan! We've had a lot of success with positive reinforcement well balanced with consequences. :thumbsup: Hope you have a fabulous trip and that the good results last well past your trip. :mickey:

Ian
10-06-2014, 09:49 AM
This is the greatest idea I've ever heard ... we'll be implementing this in our house immediately!

vicster
10-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Will it work on husbands for household chores?

Janmac
10-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Will it work on husbands for household chores?

:funny:

Jan

minnie04
10-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Great idea!!! Hope it works, just remember they are new at it, so it will take a few times to get it right. :thumbsup: Good luck I hope they prove they can do this for you and have a lot of money to spend on cool stuff at Disney..:mickey:

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
Well, I can report back that it has been a success so far! in the month of October my 7 year old earned 26 stickers, my 4 year old 25 and my 9 year old 24 stickers. No one got any Dora stickers until this morning ... which I think has a lot to do with over spastic-ness left over from Halloween last night. Generally all we had to do was a quick eye raise and a whisper of "Dora sticker" and the behavior changed immediately. There are still squabbles, but they are trying more, and there is a lot more reading going on, which is good to see! Today we made November's posterboard together for the stickers with a construction paper "Turkey of kindness" They are already planning on what they want to buy. And since Disney is coming... and now we can use Santa is watching as well... I am hoping to have little Disney angels for a few months! :fingers: