PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Maelstrom

texas211
10-05-2014, 09:14 AM
Today Maelstrom will be closing. I'm glad I had a trip planned for late last month and was able to ride a couple more times.

I'll miss the memories I had waiting in the same line, riding the same ride as I did w/ my parents as a kid, and doing the same thing all over with my family.

I'll miss looking at the big mural, waiting to board. I also really like cruising past the early days in Norway.

Long live the high seas adventure. In memory, I thought it would be fun for folks to post either what they'll miss, or a good memory of the ride.

Eric87
10-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Today Maelstrom will be closing. I'm glad I had a trip planned for late last month and was able to ride a couple more times.

I'll miss the memories I had waiting in the same line, riding the same ride as I did w/ my parents as a kid, and doing the same thing all over with my family.

I'll miss looking at the big mural, waiting to board. I also really like cruising past the early days in Norway.

Long live the high seas adventure. In memory, I thought it would be fun for folks to post either what they'll miss, or a good memory of the ride.

I'll miss the narration the most.

1DisneyNut
10-05-2014, 10:12 AM
I really liked the narration too. I will always have the memory of traveling up the hill and the light coming out of the eye while the story is being told.

TheVBs
10-05-2014, 10:25 AM
My favorite memory of this ride is the time our youngest DD decided she liked it. She used to get very nervous about rides and didn't like Maelstrom until she was about 8. We tried it again on a trip and when we got off she said, "I loved it!" It was great to know on trips after that, that it we'd all enjoy the ride. :mickey:

TikiLounger
10-05-2014, 10:37 AM
I love that it took years of riding before my kids accepted that we were never going to go backward down the falls. It was one of those things where they knew but were still hoping that this time, we'd actually go down. It was magical to feel their excitement and anticipation.

For me? I'll miss the trolls and the narration. I have a lot of affection for this ride.

SandmanGStefani24
10-05-2014, 10:48 AM
love to see how others like the same things about the ride that I did. I always rode this at least twice each visit, and I always seemed to notice something different every time.

I always enjoyed how dark it was inside, and how cold it felt as you traveled the "Norway oceans". It was always a nice break on a warm day. It also had that very unique "WDW water ride smell" that only we here seem to get. The only thing I disliked about it was that it was too short. Still, it was an excuse to take another ride later in the day.

I'm over the whole frozen deal, and wish this didn't take over so much, but it is what it is. Maybe I can ride the new Norway ride the way I ride the Mexico ride. You know, enjoy the similar elements of the old ride while trying to ignore Donald. :D

texas211
10-05-2014, 05:47 PM
IF they reuse the ride structure (not just the location), wow... I can't imagine the kinds of lines a Frozen ride will have, for such a short ride loop that the current Maelstrom has. Surely they'll scrap the whole thing, and just use the space (plus some more further back) to make a longer ride.

magicofdisney
10-05-2014, 06:50 PM
My favorite is the village at the end. My kids and I were able to ride it one last time on Friday, September 26. When we got off in the village, we stood around taking tons of photos. We also took the time to sit and enjoy their film afterwards.

I tried to pay attention to all the details during the ride. I too will miss the journey up the hill at the start of the ride. I honestly felt remorse at the loss of this ride for future generations, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia.

Wasn't there a time when you had to wait for the film to finish before they'd let you through the doors to exit?

Altair
10-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Wasn't there a time when you had to wait for the film to finish before they'd let you through the doors to exit?

Yes, and before that they would try very hard to make you stay for the film. I kind of felt sorry for them as people dodged and weaved to get past them. :(

DizneyFreak2002
10-05-2014, 07:15 PM
There was also a time when they wouldn't start the Universe of Energy or Dinosaur pre-show videos until everyone was in the show room. Now, walk in when you like right in the middle of the video playing... and loose 60% of the story...

Ah, yes, there was a time when show truly mattered in WDW... Now, it is all about money, money, money.. Show quality has taken a back seat...

SBETigg
10-05-2014, 07:52 PM
There was also a time when they wouldn't start the Universe of Energy or Dinosaur pre-show videos until everyone was in the show room. Now, walk in when you like right in the middle of the video playing... and loose 60% of the story...

Ah, yes, there was a time when show truly mattered in WDW... Now, it is all about money, money, money.. Show quality has taken a back seat...

I don't know... in this case, I think it's practical. If guests are eager to move on and get through, you don't want to slow them down. No one wants to wait anymore. People want to move on and get to the next thing. It's sad that there are so many wonderful details being passed up all over the parks, but so it goes. There are still some of us who take time to appreciate, but I think we're in the minority. And even though I appreciate details, I was glad when they started keeping the doors open and letting the movie run instead of making you feel like you had to run and dodge through if you didn't want to sit through the film. You can only watch it so many times. But right now, I would love to watch it again.

Kenny1113
10-05-2014, 10:35 PM
We are on a weekend vacation, I didn't even realize the date. Today, My kids and I were talking about the maelstrom ride -the trolls and going back, back as directed from the glowing eyes. This ride will be missed by my family too bad we didn't get time to plan one last ride in before it went down.

ransam
10-06-2014, 02:21 AM
I will miss this attraction.

and show quality has taken a back seat? LOL

Terra
10-06-2014, 07:05 AM
I don't know... in this case, I think it's practical. If guests are eager to move on and get through, you don't want to slow them down. No one wants to wait anymore. People want to move on and get to the next thing. It's sad that there are so many wonderful details being passed up all over the parks, but so it goes. There are still some of us who take time to appreciate, but I think we're in the minority. And even though I appreciate details, I was glad when they started keeping the doors open and letting the movie run instead of making you feel like you had to run and dodge through if you didn't want to sit through the film. You can only watch it so many times. But right now, I would love to watch it again.
I agree. All change is not bad. I do get nostalgic by the same token. I loved the quaintness of the attraction when I first rode it some 15 years ago. The ending in the village is my favorite part as well. I wished the ride had been more like that. The beginning [with history] and the ending are the best. The trolls portion is a bit fairy tale-ish and never really did 'fit" IMO.
So yeah, I agree :)

I will miss this attraction.

and show quality has taken a back seat? LOL

:blush: Agree with the sentiment. Like your other thread points out, Disney is still the best hands down. I actually think they do a great job of keeping up with what the majority customer base wants. 100% of the people will never be happy at once. So if a change makes the majority happy *and* brings a profit. More power to them!

TheVBs
10-06-2014, 07:06 AM
My favorite is the village at the end. My kids and I were able to ride it one last time on Friday, September 26. When we got off in the village, we stood around taking tons of photos. We also took the time to sit and enjoy their film afterwards.

You know, I just realized that I don't think we've ever gotten any pictures of this ride. :( I'll have to look back through our photos. I am glad that we rode it and stopped to watch the movie (for the first time in years) when we were there in the spring.

Terra
10-06-2014, 07:13 AM
You know, I just realized that I don't think we've ever gotten any pictures of this ride. :( I'll have to look back through our photos. I am glad that we rode it and stopped to watch the movie (for the first time in years) when we were there in the spring.

I never did either. I didn't think we were allowed to take flash pictures and I think that's all that would show up with my camera. LOL.

I'm such a geek, I think I"m the only one who actually loved the film. I love coastal towns so that part of the movie really was my favorite.

TheVBs
10-06-2014, 07:25 AM
I never did either. I didn't think we were allowed to take flash pictures and I think that's all that would show up with my camera. LOL.

Yup, no flash photography. But, we can turn our flash off. It's not like we get great pictures that way, but I like to try sometimes. Even a blurry/dark picture can be a good memory. And, sometimes I get lucky. :mickey:

magicofdisney
10-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Yup, no flash photography. But, we can turn our flash off. It's not like we get great pictures that way, but I like to try sometimes. Even a blurry/dark picture can be a good memory. And, sometimes I get lucky. :mickey:
When we got to the village, I was using my iPhone without the flash. I was surprised how well the pictures were turning out and made a comment about the quality without flash. The CM standing there must have misunderstood because she kept telling me I was allowed to use the flash. I wonder if it's because the ride was heading for closure and they were allowing exceptions.

Aurora
10-06-2014, 09:47 AM
I had three favorite parts of this ride -- the swirling sparkles overhead when the trolls sent you over the falls, looking backwards over my shoulder out into the park at the turn, and splashing down into the oil drilling area with the storm.

Thank goodness for YouTube. :)

R33
10-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Was able to take one more plunge on Saturday. Woke up early to get there before it opened so I could get in before the massive F&W crowds got there haha.

I really loved the whole ride but my favourite parts were splashing down into the North Sea and looking up at the oil platform.

After that, pulling into the disembarking area always made me long for being back in Sweden at my uncles place as he is right on the Norwegian border and there is a village that looks exactly like that.

I will miss this ride so much.

SBETigg
10-06-2014, 02:06 PM
INTERCOT on FB/Twitter/Instagram has some good pictures of Maelstrom. I was feeling nostalgic looking at them yesterday.

Stu29573
10-06-2014, 02:24 PM
I still just don't get this. Even my wife, who isn't nearly as much of a Disney geek as me said, "Why didn't they put that in Fantasyland? The World Showcase is supposed to be like a worlds fair!" I told her that argument has been made again and again, but no one listened (that mattered). On the other side of the coin, my five year old granddaughter will probably love it....IF they don't go "C&C*" on us.

*Cheap and Cheesy

ajwgroomer
10-06-2014, 10:59 PM
I'll miss the narration the most.

I'll miss the narration too! We were so lucky to get to ride it one last time last week but I'm still so sad they're closing it. So stupid! :mad:
:(

lawgirl
10-07-2014, 05:36 PM
This makes me tear up! Maelstrom was one of my all-time favorite rides. I remember being a little girl when it opened, and it was the coolest thing. I LOVE the mural and the flags, and it breaks my heart!

I have one of the best Disney stories there...I went with my sister and her best friend for their senior trip. We had a blast, had park hoppers, and everything was perfect. One night we were making our way around the world, all dressed up, and the line was pretty long for Maelstrom. We were near the entrance debating what to do, and the cute Norwegian guy at the FP entrance said "Hey girls, Mickey said he was expecting you. Come on in." (in his cute accent!). It was the best. We were giggling the whole way through.

Oh, Disney! Why did you have to "Let it go"!?

masonlovesdisney
10-09-2014, 11:49 PM
ah man...you brought tears to my eyes with this one.
I am only 20, but have such fond memories of this ride. As a child (i know im not far out), this was a ride that my family would ride multiple times. One of my favorite rides to this day, and just thinking about it being gone brings a tear to my eye. I just want that feeling one more time, that i had as a child, being scared to death that we were actually going over backwards. I would long for that.

Farewell, Maelstrom. You will be missed.

TheVBs
10-10-2014, 07:37 AM
INTERCOT on FB/Twitter/Instagram has some good pictures of Maelstrom. I was feeling nostalgic looking at them yesterday.

Thanks! I'll have to look at those. :mickey:

Speedy1998
10-10-2014, 12:32 PM
I have got to ask. When the last boat pulled out, did the sound track still say "You are not the first to pass this way, and you will not be the last!"

Altair
10-10-2014, 12:34 PM
I have got to ask. When the last boat pulled out, did the sound track still say "You are not the first to pass this way, and you will not be the last!"

They didn't change that for the last boat. You can also see the last ride on youtube. :(

Main Street Jim
10-11-2014, 10:24 AM
Long live the high seas adventure. In memory, I thought it would be fun for folks to post either what they'll miss, or a good memory of the ride.Good memory:

I was at EPCOT with one of my friends from high school in 1988 on Opening Day for the attraction. He was leaving for the military the following week. We were both like, "Finally! Another RIDE in World Showcase! Hope it's not like Mexico (right next door...:P " :) Even though it was a "boat ride", it was nothing like El Rio del Tiempo. This was a "thrill ride" in EPCOT Center! At the time, there were no "thrill rides" at all at the park. And only the four other attractions that were so...well, I *loved* all of them, but, my friend wasn't as into Disney as I was. :mickey:

Daisy'sMom
10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Its just wrong. Is World Showcase doomed to be a character land? I agree more can be done and should be, but I just don't see why we have to be immersed in princesses all over Disney World.
I am heartbroken.

natedog24
10-17-2014, 12:15 AM
I feel like WDW is simply giving people what they think they want... That old Henry Ford quote comes to mind: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses"

Disney probably spends a TON of money on market research for these decisions, and likely the answers they are getting are "more princesses, more character interaction, MORE FROZEN"... However, the powers that be need to realize that most of the time, people don't know what it is they'll truly want because they can't think outside of the box...

Crow
10-18-2014, 01:47 AM
Yes, and before that they would try very hard to make you stay for the film. I kind of felt sorry for them as people dodged and weaved to get past them. :(

yea. but most times lately the doors would just be open...
I liked showing off the hidden mickey..Viking with the mickey ears on the wall as you board the boats

QueenElsaOfArendelle
10-19-2014, 09:27 AM
i'm a little excited for the frozen ride, but they should've just built a new building to put it in! :yeti:

RavsRuleDisney!
10-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Yup - another one of those throwback, nostalgic, simple kinda rides you take a bit for granted until BAM!! She's gone. :( We always made a point to jump on this ride every trip....Gonna miss the little Viking on the boat in the mural wearing his "ears" and the narrators great baritone voice (wonder to heck who that was-anyone??). And peeking out at the park for a sec when you make the turn was cool....was cool. Hopefully they put a bit of old time Imagineering magic and know-how to make an enjoyable ride.

texas211
10-19-2014, 07:55 PM
Yup - another one of those throwback, nostalgic, simple kinda rides you take a bit for granted until BAM!! She's gone. :( ...

For the same reason, we'll miss Living w/ the Land when they take it out.

Main Street Jim
10-20-2014, 05:23 PM
i'm a little excited for the frozen ride, but they should've just built a new building to put it in! :yeti:...and at Studios.

The "country" of Arendelle cannot be visited in real life. It's *fictional*. Keep the "fictional" kingdoms OUT of EPCOT. World Showcase is meant for guests to experience "real-world" culture (or, at least as close as Disney can get us - technically speaking).

However, as we all know by now, it's all about the almighty dollar - and, Frozen *is* what's hot right now.

On the other hand: I don't know how long the franchise *will* be "remembered". Take for example, Cars/Cars2. I bet by now a lot of folks have forgotten what the first movie was even about - or, better yet, the second one. It was a popular franchise, for a time - and seeing Lightning McQueen and Mater in the parks *was* pretty cool. Heck, there's even a whole Radiator Springs "land" in California Adventure. Why not expand on the popularity of Anna and Elsa and add to Studios? the park *could* feasibly be expanded to the south (toward Osceola Parkway). Besides adding "Star Wars Land" to Studios, why not capitalize on Frozen and add a whole 'nother land to a desperately-hurting park?

Gator
10-23-2014, 04:16 PM
While I'm not opposed to the Frozen attraction coming at all, I will certainly miss Maelstrom. On my second and best trip to WDW, Norway sorta became "My" pavillion. The ride, the gift shop, the Geir scents, the stave church, the waterfall, the trolls, and Akershus. It made me want to go to Norway. Maelstrom was my son's very first ride at WDW and so it was special to me, not so much to him. Not that Maelstrom was the best ride in the world - it wasn't by a long shot. I will miss it and I'm glad I have it on lots of home video footage.

Kaps
10-28-2014, 11:35 AM
We rode this every visit. It was a nice break from just walking through the countries. Hope they do something decent with the space and not shutter it forever just to save a few. Have to admit would not watch the movie anymore been there done that

WiltonJohn
11-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Our family too rode this every visit over the years. Sad... sad... sad. It will be sorely missed.

Some call this progress.

best,

.................john