PDA

View Full Version : Epcot - F&W Spoilers please!

k10
10-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Hi there. Anyone been to the F&W yet this year? Curious how the crowds are at Epcot.

Also curious to hear how it's going from first-hand experience? What's delicious, what's something I could skip, any surprises?

Thanks!!! :party::party::party:

Strmchsr
10-01-2014, 11:42 AM
Over the first weekend (and since then I've heard) crowds are pretty nuts in the afternoon and evening (especially). You basically have to count on waiting a few minutes at any of the kiosks. However, over 2 days we tried a large sampling. The mushroom filet mignon at Canada is awesome. The dessert and champagne sampler is incredible. I could go on and on. I don't think we hit anything that wasn't good.

etibbetts
10-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I was at WDW from 9/13-9/27. We went during the soft opening on 9/18 then a few times during the first week it was open. It was my first F&W but the crowds felt heavy to me. The daytime was a lot less busy then night in my experience. We also noticed when we went right at world showcase opening, a lot of people were going to the right (towards Canada), we went to the left and crowds were lighter.

I enjoyed most things. The only thing I bought and threw out after two bites was the lobster alfredo from the Hops & Barley booth. It was gross.

I loved the shrimp taco from Mexico, that was my favorite. My sister had the rib eye taco there and thought it was good but not great. My brother in law tried both shrimp and ribeye and preferred the shrimp.

The fisherman's pie at Ireland was very good. The first time I got it, it was so packed with seafood it was unbelievable! The filet at Canada is always a favorite.

I had the beouf beurgion (sorry can't spell it) at France, the meat was tender, potato's ok. Good but not something I would rush back for. My father tried the Escargot, was disappointed, he loved the puffs last year, this year was so-so. My sister tried the creme brulee, hers was not fully cooked so she didn't like it.

Salmon at Patagonia was good. My sister loved the Beef Empanada at Patagonia.

I know we tried more, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I hope you enjoy it!!!

If you have a Chase Visa, stop by the Lounge. We enjoyed taking that mid-walk break. They have the freestyle soda machines, comfy chairs, wristbands for Eat to the Beat on certain nights, wristbands for Illuminations and Disney Infinity set up for the kids.

etibbetts
10-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I forgot to mention one other favorite - the ravioli in Italy. Very good and a huge portion!

SBETigg
10-01-2014, 12:20 PM
I enjoyed most things. The only thing I bought and threw out after two bites was the lobster alfredo from the Hops & Barley booth. It was gross.

I have not had the alfredo, but... I did have the warm lobster roll at Hops & Barley once and I was so disappointed. It was terrible. The lobster was rubbery and so wrong. I love fresh lobster, succulent, sweet, and delicious fresh lobster. But that lobster at that booth had to have been prepared a day or so ahead of time and it lost all delightful lobster quality. Never again for the Hops and Barley booth for me.

mcjaco
10-01-2014, 03:41 PM
You can never go wrong with the cheese soup in Canada either.

TikiLounger
10-01-2014, 04:21 PM
I haven't been yet this year (heading down in the beginning of November), but I've been to the F&W a few times in the past and the cheese soup in Canada is one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to sampling it again this year!

JabberJaws
10-02-2014, 12:54 PM
We will be there a week from today! Doing Late Nights Live our first night, then doing a full day back at Epcot for more FWF. Evenings are always slammed, but I've found you can go early in the day and hit up most of the booths w/o much, if any, wait. Then when the crowds pick up later, you're a bit more free to bounce around to whatever booths have the lowest waits.

sainter
10-02-2014, 02:56 PM
Ettibbets, I forgot about the Chase lounge. Where exactly is this located? Do you remember if/ what the open hours are? Thanks!

etibbetts
10-02-2014, 05:55 PM
The Chase lounge is in the America pavilion, you'll see the sign for it and line.

Kenny1113
10-03-2014, 05:00 AM
I love fresh lobster, succulent, sweet, and delicious fresh lobster. But that lobster at that booth had to have been prepared a day or so ahead of time and it lost all delightful lobster quality.

This was my opinion of most of the food at F&WF last time I went, 2 years ago. :(

Terra
10-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Love reading this!!

I'm going over either this weekend or next with my best friend! We go every year, several times. :blush:

stephicakes
10-03-2014, 09:00 AM
The Chase lounge is in the America pavilion, you'll see the sign for it and line.

We were just there and I forgot about this lounge!

We were at F&W 9/20-9/27 and stayed at BC so we walked into WS almost every evening. The crowds were heavy even on weekdays so sometimes it was hard to even get through to read the menus for each food kiosk, so pack your patience. We had better luck at lunchtime exploring what was available and not fighting the crowds so much. Weekends were definitely busiest and often it was hard for me and DH to walk side-by-side. But the periodic rain helped thin the crowds out.

The one thing we did enjoy was the microbrewery they have set up in the Odyssey building. It was nice and cool in there and never busy so we could escape the crowds for a minute. The lighting was nice and low and we enjoyed some flights of tasty craft beers.

Enjoy! :mickey:

k10
10-03-2014, 11:33 AM
aw, thanks for all the "spoilers", folks!

man...i'm so excited. 10 days!

texas211
10-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I was there last week. I felt the crowds weren't bad. As usual, thickened up the later in the afternoon and evening you got, but normal. Except around the beers in Belgium/Germany. That is always backed up. But even where there are lines, they move pretty quickly.

My favorite is South Korea (everything) especially the kimchi dog. Go by the Florida or something w/ Pineapple bw Canada and Greece.

The japanese tuna roll was good.

garthbarth1
10-04-2014, 12:56 AM
Wow we were there last week! I didnt know anything about the Chase Visa Lounge. How do you get into this? We have a Chase Sapphire card...do you just need to show this? I will have to remember this for next year. How do the magic bands work for Illuminations??:mickey:

lisarose
10-04-2014, 12:49 PM
Overpriced, food same as any Mexican place in US and given their penchant for bulls goring horses (yes, they really do this. Google "Mexico Horse and Bull fights") I wouldn't give them a dime!!!!

Other than Mexico, I'd skip dinner altogether and just eat a little at each of the worlds. The food is very good. A little pricey for the portions, but you'll only do it once, so treat yourself.

R33
10-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Have been twice so far.. the crowds are nuts on the weekends but not bad at all during the weekday.

I feel as if the prices have gone up for items this year as almost everything seems to start close to $5 now.

My favorites are:

The pork / kimchi lettuce wrap at S. Korea. My #1 the last few years running actually.

The Mongolian beef steamed bun in China is great. The duck was okay, not bad, but for the $ not worth it at all.

I love the beef tips in Africa. Spicy but so much good flavor.

The second beer flight in Germany is new this year. Glad they are rotating it!

I was disappointed in what they did with the craft beer section at Odysee. I had hopes for it being this really cool exhibition using the space in that building to really do something about beer, the craft movement, how beer is made.. anything. but alas, its just a small bar serving beer thats available in any supermarket and a bunch of tables.

In France, the Gratin de crozet de savoie tastes just like what I make at home. Thats a great thing!

Germany the Schinkennudeln is my favourite. Reminds me of family get togethers and christmas time. All it is missing is the gravy.

Greece: Chicken Gyro was pretty good tasting. Lots of dill in the tzatziki which is always good.

I tended to stay away from the old standbys this year so far but overall the festival seems to be pretty good this year, even though I miss some of the old tents.

JabberJaws
10-06-2014, 01:14 PM

Thanks for bringing this up! Definitely going to have to stop by there on our FWF day. What are the wristbands for Illuminations? They for a special viewing area?

I'd be happy with the coke freestyle machines and a break from the crowds. Have a disney rewards card really does come in handy when visiting the parks.

etibbetts
10-06-2014, 05:40 PM
I didn't ask about the illuminations band, where the area was. The woman handing them out just told me they had those daily and they had Eat to the Beat wristbands only certain days (sat, sun, mon I think...).

The freestyle machines were great! I filled a mug I had with me. It was nice to have a lot of choices.

Lindslou
10-07-2014, 03:37 PM
We were just there and I forgot about this lounge!

We were at F&W 9/20-9/27 and stayed at BC so we walked into WS almost every evening. The crowds were heavy even on weekdays so sometimes it was hard to even get through to read the menus for each food kiosk, so pack your patience. We had better luck at lunchtime exploring what was available and not fighting the crowds so much. Weekends were definitely busiest and often it was hard for me and DH to walk side-by-side. But the periodic rain helped thin the crowds out.

The one thing we did enjoy was the microbrewery they have set up in the Odyssey building. It was nice and cool in there and never busy so we could escape the crowds for a minute. The lighting was nice and low and we enjoyed some flights of tasty craft beers.

Enjoy! :mickey:

What is the Odyssey building? I've never heard of that. Thanks!

stephicakes
10-08-2014, 05:30 AM
The Odyssey Pavilion was a restaurant MANY years ago and has been closed for quite some time now. It’s “technically” in FW but it is located between Test Track and Mexico on the east side. I believe now they only use it for business functions/gatherings but someone else will probably come along that can give more info. The Disney website shows it clearly on their areal map. It was a nice air-conditioned break for us during F&W!

thatkindofday
10-08-2014, 11:05 AM
We were there last week. The crowds weren't terrible. Got a little worse as the day went on. The lamb chop in Australia was amazing! Possibly one of the best things I've ever eaten. The filet mignon in Canada was really good and so was the mini beef slider in the Hops and Barley Market. I didn't really have anything bad, except at the dessert and Champagne booth. I tried the trio and the frozen s'mores and didn't like either of them.

k10
10-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Wow!!! Thanks for all the tips and spoilers.

Sounds like the Filet at Canada is a must. And the Kimchi at S. Korea, as well. I like most everything, so this is going to be tough.

Lindslou - I think we're going to have to share things!!! :thumbsup:

Lindslou
10-08-2014, 04:09 PM
The Odyssey Pavilion was a restaurant MANY years ago and has been closed for quite some time now. It’s “technically” in FW but it is located between Test Track and Mexico on the east side. I believe now they only use it for business functions/gatherings but someone else will probably come along that can give more info. The Disney website shows it clearly on their areal map. It was a nice air-conditioned break for us during F&W!

Oh I've always wondered what that was! Thanks!!

Lindslou
10-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Wow!!! Thanks for all the tips and spoilers.

Sounds like the Filet at Canada is a must. And the Kimchi at S. Korea, as well. I like most everything, so this is going to be tough.

Lindslou - I think we're going to have to share things!!! :thumbsup:

Sharing means caring!

mrte62
10-08-2014, 04:48 PM
We were there Monday and today. Crowds Monday were quite heavy (and absolutely crazy yesterday at MK). Today very warm but far less crowded.

Chase Lounge has been a nice place to cool off, rest up, get something to drink and use a restroom. It does need more seats!

As noted above prices now hover around $5 an item. DW and I did the seafood crawl on Monday. Really liked Brazil and Morocco items.

Craft Beer at Odyssey on a weekday is averaging 5,500 visitors.

Haven't had a bad dish yet and we have 14 destinations marked off in our passport. :mickey:

k10
10-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Sharing means caring!

:party::party::party:

The prices being $5 or so doesn't frighten me. Only b/c I've never partaken, so I have no comparison. I'm actually pretty pleased w/ the prices in that sense.

k10
10-22-2014, 10:52 AM
Thank you again for all the tips here in this thread. We had a really, really good F&W experience. Maybe too good.

BrerGnat
10-22-2014, 04:07 PM
We were there this Monday. Crowds were nonexistent. Not one of the 10 or so booths we hit up ever had a line. We began around 2pm and were done around 6:30.

All the food was good. We were borderline angry about the high alcohol prices/tiny portions of the alcoholic drinks though. Wines were being poured at 1oz or 2oz, max. Beers are now 6oz. Prices were $5-7 per drink. I love the Grapefruit beer so I bought 2. $9 is steep for 12oz of beer. One Apple Wine was a 1oz shot and was $7. Total ripoff. I had 3 beers, a wine "flight" (total 3oz), a Grey Goose Citron, and another wine. I wasn't even buzzed, and I am a complete lightweight. I spent $33 on alcohol and felt like I hadn't drank anything. They need to lower the prices or up the size of those drinks. Its a poor value. Next time, I will skip the alcohol at the booths and hit up Rose & Crown instead.

Food item standouts were: Pork Belly and Cheese Bread at Brazil, Pork Slider at Hawaii, Warm Chocolate Pudding at Ireland, Sea Salt Caramel Creme Brulee at France, Beef Skewer at Patagonia, Rib Eye Taco at Mexico

dnickels
10-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Thoughts on what I've tried so far this year (comments in italics)

Loved
- The Garlic shrimp with roasted tomatoes, lemon myrtle and rapini (Australia)
- Cheddar cheese soup (Canada) [hard to screw this one up]
- Belgium waffle with berry compote and whipped cream (Belgium)
- Seared rainbow trout with bacon, frisee and maple Minus 8 Vinaigrette (Canada)

Average:
- South African bobotie with turkey and mushrooms (Africa)
- Tartelette aux escargots: Escargot tart with garlic, spinach, bacon and parmesan (France) [loved this last year, but the bread shell on it this year is tasteless)
Roast bratwurst in a pretzel roll (Germany)

So bad I didn't even finish
- Grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies (Australia)

Hammer
10-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Thoughts on what I've tried so far this year (comments in italics)

Loved
- The Garlic shrimp with roasted tomatoes, lemon myrtle and rapini (Australia)
- Cheddar cheese soup (Canada) [hard to screw this one up]
- Belgium waffle with berry compote and whipped cream (Belgium)
- Seared rainbow trout with bacon, frisee and maple Minus 8 Vinaigrette (Canada)

Average:
- South African bobotie with turkey and mushrooms (Africa)
- Tartelette aux escargots: Escargot tart with garlic, spinach, bacon and parmesan (France) [loved this last year, but the bread shell on it this year is tasteless)
Roast bratwurst in a pretzel roll (Germany)

So bad I didn't even finish
- Grilled lamb chop with mint pesto and potato crunchies (Australia)

I am currently writing up my review of what we tried at Food and Wine (wanted to have it separate from the Dining review that is posted here). I absolutely agree about the lamb chop at Australia booth. That was really our only disappointment of the festival this year. The lamb was overcooked and the mint sauce had absolutely no flavor. Our favorites were the Sea Scallop with Spinach Cheddar Gratin and Crispy Bacon from the Scotland booth and the Gratin de crozet de savoie: Wheat pasta gratin with mushrooms and Gruyere cheese.

We were there this Monday. Crowds were nonexistent. Not one of the 10 or so booths we hit up ever had a line. We began around 2pm and were done around 6:30.

All the food was good. We were borderline angry about the high alcohol prices/tiny portions of the alcoholic drinks though. Wines were being poured at 1oz or 2oz, max. Beers are now 6oz. Prices were $5-7 per drink. I love the Grapefruit beer so I bought 2. $9 is steep for 12oz of beer. One Apple Wine was a 1oz shot and was $7. Total ripoff. I had 3 beers, a wine "flight" (total 3oz), a Grey Goose Citron, and another wine. I wasn't even buzzed, and I am a complete lightweight. I spent $33 on alcohol and felt like I hadn't drank anything. They need to lower the prices or up the size of those drinks. Its a poor value. Next time, I will skip the alcohol at the booths and hit up Rose & Crown instead.

Natalie, you needed to drink champagne or sparkling wine like my sister and I :D . Those glasses are the same size plastic champagne flutes as last year. We drank that almost exclusively with our food. I had the Grand Marnier slush and it was the same size as last year.

BrerGnat
10-24-2014, 04:00 PM
I am currently writing up my review of what we tried at Food and Wine (wanted to have it separate from the Dining review that is posted here). But I absolutely agree about the lamb chop at Australia booth. That was really our only disappointment of the festival this year. The lamb was overcooked and the mint sauce had absolutely no flavor. Our favorites was the Sea Scallop with Spinach Cheddar Gratin and Crispy Bacon from the Scotland booth and the Gratin de crozet de savoie: Wheat pasta gratin with mushrooms and Gruyere cheese.

Natalie, you needed to drink champagne or sparkling wine like my sister and I :D . Those glasses are the same size plastic champagne flutes as last year. We drank that almost exclusively with our food.

Clearly Champagne was the way to go, but I actually drink that a lot at home. :blush: I wanted to stick with things I had never tried or thay I could not get locally.

Hammer
10-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Clearly Champagne was the way to go, but I actually drink that a lot at home. :blush: I wanted to stick with things I had never tried or thay I could not get locally.

So do we, but we didn't let that stop us :blush:. There were some unique sparkling wines this year. Domaine Chandon offered a Brut Sparkling Blanc de Noir at Block and Hans which was really nice. We don't think Dom Perignon is worth the hype, as we have had champagnes which taste as good for less. We had 3 glasses of Moet and Chandon Imperial for the price it would have cost us to have 1 glass of Dom.