PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaur-change where they take the pic?? Turning into the next YETI??

garthbarth1
09-25-2014, 10:59 PM
OK we are here now and having a great trip! Great rides, great food..etc. We went on Dinosaur today with our FP plus and then walked right on it a second time (both times stand by was only 10 minutes) Anyways..I am a detail person and i love this ride. For whatever reason-i always end up sitting on the right side of the car. This time, right before the end the part where they take your pic seemed different to me. I always remember seeing the Dino on the right side of the car, big, loud and MOVING! There was no mistaking it. So this time, the DINO were your pic is taken was on the LEFT side of the ride, static (not moving) and not big! Very much like they YETI-similar with the lighting but NOT the same. I told my husband that it was different, and he was like..no its the same!! I was sure it wasn't, so we went on it a second time-also bc I love it so much and to confirm!!! Second time, same thing!! On the way in I asked a CM if it was different, and he gave me a some strange "Why would you think it was different" answer...but nothing direct. Same thing..Dino on the left, not moving, not as scary. I am sure I have on my computer a pic of the pic they take at the end and we are looking to the right of the ride and people looked scared! The riders in our car are all just looking at the DINO, and no one looks scared like I remember. So I pull up a youtube video of the ride from 2011 and sure enough, the POV ride shows a big scary DINO on the RIGHT side of the ride and he's moving and he's loud!! Anyone else notice this?? I hope this doesnt become the next YETI fail...not moving, using lights to make up for the missing scary guy...

thejens
09-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Yes, I observed the same thing. My teen son used to find this ride scary (and no other ride!) so we used to tease him a bit. Now it is not really thrill ride. Disappointing.

ransam
09-26-2014, 02:17 AM
that is very disappointing. I was looking forward to this.

yankeesfan123
09-26-2014, 07:02 AM
Fascinating. When did they make the change??

It was DEFINITELY on the right last month. And I don't remember a refurb of anything announced since then..

Strmchsr
09-26-2014, 07:52 AM
Occasionally when the carnotaurus animatronic on the right that is the usual picture spot is not working or they have to take it down briefly they use an alternate (and much less impressive) temporary set up on the left side. There has not been a permanent change. We rode it on 2 different days last week and it was right both days. You must have caught it on a day with scheduled maintenance or a problem.

mandaep
09-27-2014, 10:19 AM
This is my favorite ride and that was always one of my favorite parts. It's pretty intense but the first time we rode it it definitely caught me. I will know for sure whether or not it's the same, we are going to ride it next week

DizneyRox
09-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Actually, the Yeti is the new Dinosaur... Dinosaur has been "broken" for ages, longer than Yeti if I'm not mistaken, but not necessarily the Dinosaur that you speak of. Effects haven't been working for decades it seems (like the flying Cearadactylus which hasn't moved and the jumping Compsognathus effect has been hit or miss over the years. For a while the final Carnotaurus wasn't moving, and I wouldn't be surprised if it still isn't. It's usually dark or at best pulling a disco Yeti impression.

texas211
09-27-2014, 12:52 PM
I forgot about the flying Cearadactylus. So sad when rides lose their luster.

However, this past week I noticed how vibrant rides like SM, POTC, and a few others looked after some refurb.

But sad when rides lose their luster and glory. The Great Movie Ride comes to mind as well.

natedog24
09-29-2014, 10:12 AM
So glad you posted this - I thought I was going crazy! We must've rode on the same day because I noticed and thought the same thing. Our group was ready to pose and look terrified for the photo... however the usual picture spot wasn't there, and the picture is really of us just sitting there. Not nearly as impressive. CTX was such a good ride - too bad many aspects have fallen by the wayside...

garthbarth1
09-29-2014, 07:05 PM
Well I'm glad to know that I'm not losing my mind! :D It just did not seem as intense as I remember it!! I am not aware of any other Dinos that were supposed to be working that were not...im not that good at the correct names of them...i tend to refer to them as "The big scary Dino on the right!":blush:
As far as the Great Movie Ride...i seem to remember the first scent..Footlight Parade..wasnt that a rotating scene back in the day?

DizneyRox
09-29-2014, 07:23 PM
Well I'm glad to know that I'm not losing my mind! :D It just did not seem as intense as I remember it!! I am not aware of any other Dinos that were supposed to be working that were not...im not that good at the correct names of them...i tend to refer to them as "The big scary Dino on the right!":blush:
I think the official line from Disney is they didn't change anything when convert g it from CTX to Dinosaur, but that's a crock. It as much more intense than it is now. The past few years I think they ha e been refurbing dinos, so I'm not so upset about a missing Dino than I am about effects that have been broken or turned off for many years. Even the time travel back in the beginning is a shadow of its former glory.

As far as the Great Movie Ride...i seem to remember the first scent..Footlight Parade..wasnt that a rotating scene back in the day?
I forget how it moved but yes, it was much more animated than it is now; the bubble effect is hit or miss as well. The rain I think seldom works in the second scene. The Aliens I believe are fidgety as well as is Tarzan swinging.

Speedy1998
10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Unfortunately, I think the problem for Disney is, when do you close to do the necessary maintenance? Take EE for example, is fixing disco yeti worth taking one of the most popular rides in Animal Kingdom down for several months?

The other thing we have to take into account is that we (as fans) do not know what Disney has planned for future expansion and/or change. If an attraction is scheduled to be replaced in say a year, is it worth the effort to fix problems with it? Especially if fixing the problems will take several months.