PDA

View Full Version : Complex insider fixed-week question

Aurora
09-24-2014, 01:06 PM
I think I know what the answer must be to this question, but I wonder if anyone (who is also curious about personally useless information) actually has some insider knowledge about this.

As we all assume, Disney is going to keep rolling out fixed weeks for their new DVC resorts, a la Grand Floridian Villas. My understanding is that you can purchase a fixed week at GFV for 10 percent more points than that week would normally require.

For example, a week at GFV during "Adventure" season for a one-bedroom, lake-view room would normally cost 296 points. A DVC owner purchasing a fixed week would pay for 326 points (10% increase) for the same room at the same time. If the owner chooses on any year not to use that fixed week, their week is converted into those 326 points that they can then use like any other DVC points.

Here's my assumption: In order for this to work, those extra points purchased have to be part of the total pool of points available for the year at a particular resort. In other words, when owners purchase a fixed week and stay at the resort as intended, they are buying points that won't actually be used.

If my assumption is wrong, and those extra points really are more than the total pool, that would mean that if enough fixed-week owners decided to convert their week to points, there would be more points available than rooms to accommodate them. That's why I think I must be right.

In addition to paying for more points than are normally required, fixed-week owners are also paying dues on those extra, unused points as well.

Although I would never purchase a fixed week because of the lack of flexibility, I can see the appeal. I just never understood it to be a profit generator for Disney.

Does anyone know whether I am understanding this correctly?

Aurora
09-24-2014, 01:11 PM
Sorry, I seem to have posted this in Vacation Planning and meant it to go to Disney Vacation Club! Moderators, could you kindly move this thread please? Thank you!