PDA

View Full Version : heavy rain and flooding in attractions area

JoDisney
09-23-2014, 08:00 PM
What happens to events like MNSSHP on nights like tonight, Sept. 23, where the weather channel states it is heavy rain and roads flooding in attraction areas? I'm just curious what Disney does when these warnings are flashing all night.

Terra
09-23-2014, 08:20 PM
I want to say that short of shutting down outside type rides [BTMRR/SM], they don't do much different. I know they don't give refunds for inclement weather.
Not going to lie, I would be so sad if I bought tickets and it rained the entire night. But that's the joys of Florida :/ Disney can't help that.

Strmchsr
09-23-2014, 09:09 PM
It's not raining heavy enough tonight to really mess anything up. MNSSHP goes on no matter what. If there's rain the Horseman won't ride and the stage show might be canceled. If it's REALLY heavy rain it's possible the parade could be canceled, but usually it's just modified. Only heavy lightning can cancel the fireworks. Otherwise the show goes on even in a downpour. I've been to a MNSSHP that was a total downpour. Just threw on the poncho and went for it because, as state above, no refunds. Rain, even heavy rain, affects very few things at WDW.

joonyer
09-23-2014, 09:17 PM
It's not raining heavy enough tonight to really mess anything up. MNSSHP goes on no matter what. If there's rain the Horseman won't ride and the stage show might be canceled. If it's REALLY heavy rain it's possible the parade could be canceled, but usually it's just modified. Only heavy lightning can cancel the fireworks. Otherwise the show goes on even in a downpour. I've been to a MNSSHP that was a total downpour. Just threw on the poncho and went for it because, as state above, no refunds. Rain, even heavy rain, affects very few things at WDW.

Except crowds. Heavy rain really reduces the size of the crowds. :D

cspenc28
09-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Four years ago, my husband I were in DW, and the day of MNSSHP it poured, at least 6 inches of standing water in Fantasy Land, I only remember it so vividly because I had to buy new socks. We sat in our car (stayed offsite) until about 5:00 and it cleared up. Everything went on as planned, one good thing about the FL sun, it dries everything out pretty fast (except my socks).

debbymc4
09-24-2014, 06:41 AM
The one time I attended , it was heavy rain. They cancelled the earlier parade. My son was three and we were really miserable trying to trick or treat in that. We finally just left.

SBETigg
09-24-2014, 10:35 AM
I was at MNSSHP one year in heavy rain. They did not offer a refund but they gave us each a one day park admission ticket as we were leaving-- even though we stayed for the whole thing and had a great time despite the rain, plus parades and fireworks still went on. Not sure why they were making it up to guests that night over others.

natedog24
09-29-2014, 12:50 PM
The show must go on!
We were at MNSSHP on last Tuesday and the biggest issue was getting off the monorail after having dinner at Ohana. There was a 4 inch deep river of water that was not draining at the bottom on the monorail station that guests either had to walk through, wait it out, or attempt to go 1 by 1 and "tightrope walk" on the curb (although it didn't work out well for those we witnessed). We just trudged right through it and soaked our socks and sneakers, then bought plastic flip-flops at an outrageous price and put our sneakers in a locker for the night. Eventually the rain stopped for the evening and the fireworks and parade (no horseman) did happen.
A lot of people complained, but there's nothing WDW can do to control the weather (yet ;)).

garthbarth1
09-29-2014, 06:37 PM
We just got home today and was at MNSSHP last night. About 10:30 it started misting lightly, and the announced the parade was delayed. At 10:45 in started to pick up at little heavier. We knew then the parade would be cancelled (and it was) so we headed into Fantasyland to do some Trick or Treating. Around 11 it really started coming down. We took cover in one of the big shops there -the new circus themed one and watched the radar. It wasn't clearing up anytime soon..so we said the heck with it, threw our ponchos on and headed towards TL. They had rearranged some of the treats and so we were still able to TOT with out ponchos on. We stayed until about 11:30 and headed out. We were wet but had a great time! :D

baldburke
09-29-2014, 10:23 PM
We were at MNSHP in October 2005 just before Hurricane Wilma rolled in. It started pouring buckets before they even got the parade off. It rained on and off a bit, but mostly on. They hadn't closed the park yet, but as we were leaving they flagged us into City Hall and gave us one day passes for another visit. Stay classy Disney!

Main Street Jim
10-01-2014, 08:04 PM
"All parks, attractions, and (indoor) shows remain open during inclement weather. Outdoor attractions *may* shut down* due to lightning in the area (i.e., within seven miles), but, will remain open even during rain. Park or event admission will not be refunded due to inclement weather. Parades and fireworks may be cancelled or delayed."

I have seen a SpectroMagic step off 30 minutes *after* the park closed (at 11:30pm - I was working that night...). I have seen the Tomorrowland Speedway flooded to the point of being a *waist-high* swimming pool - but, *we were still operating*, even though we had cars underwater.

I have had guests ask me, "When will the rain stop?" "Hang on, I'll make a phone call."

"Don't you guys put the dome up?" "Hang on, I'll make a phone call."

Aurora
10-02-2014, 02:43 PM
"Don't you guys put the dome up?" "Hang on, I'll make a phone call."

I just had an image of a big, electric, transparent dome going over the Magic Kingdom like in the scene in "Atlantis." :rotfl:

Main Street Jim
10-02-2014, 05:18 PM
"Don't you guys put the dome up?" "Hang on, I'll make a phone call."I just had an image of a big, electric, transparent dome going over the Magic Kingdom like in the scene in "Atlantis." :rotfl:Yep. We'd get *seriously* asked this many, many times.

hauntedmansiongirl
10-03-2014, 02:03 PM
We got back a few days ago and were at the Sept. 23 MNSSHP. The rain was torrential for a while! When we got off the bus we had to walk through a foot of freezing cold water with our socks and sneakers on. Security wasn't letting us go any other way.

My Mom was miserable. I would have stuck it out, but she was done. So we got in the huge guest services line and waited over an hour. I couldn't believe how mad some people were!

They offered us either a 1 day 1 park ticket with no expiration or a ticket to one of their hard ticketed events with no expiration. We are coming back in November 2015 and will be buying a package, so we opted for the hard ticket- we figured we could use it for the Christmas party. A lot of people were angry and demanding refunds- more because they made us walk through the water than because of the rain. I was happy and thought that they didn't have to do anything for us.

We have never had rain like that in Florida. Usually on our September vacations we get the typical 30 min downpour every afternoon, but this trip we had 4 days of solid rain. It seemed like the halloween parties were doomed!

natedog24
10-03-2014, 10:45 PM
We got back a few days ago and were at the Sept. 23 MNSSHP. The rain was torrential for a while! When we got off the bus we had to walk through a foot of freezing cold water with our socks and sneakers on. Security wasn't letting us go any other way.

My Mom was miserable. I would have stuck it out, but she was done. So we got in the huge guest services line and waited over an hour. I couldn't believe how mad some people were!

They offered us either a 1 day 1 park ticket with no expiration or a ticket to one of their hard ticketed events with no expiration. We are coming back in November 2015 and will be buying a package, so we opted for the hard ticket- we figured we could use it for the Christmas party. A lot of people were angry and demanding refunds- more because they made us walk through the water than because of the rain. I was happy and thought that they didn't have to do anything for us.

We have never had rain like that in Florida. Usually on our September vacations we get the typical 30 min downpour every afternoon, but this trip we had 4 days of solid rain. It seemed like the halloween parties were doomed!

We were there the same night and walked through the same river of cold water!! That was brutal... Once the rain eventually stopped, it was a good night, but we all bought flip flops and left our wet socks and sneakers in a locker. Didn't even think to go to guest services. In hindsight, I probably should've since a hard ticket to a future event would've been worth it, but at that point in the night if we then waited an hour for guest services while wet probably would've pushed me over the edge.... :angry:

Strmchsr
10-04-2014, 08:23 AM

Well, rain like that actually is pretty common here in Florida so I'm glad you've missed it previously. This year was a little unusual in that we had 2 cold fronts stall out and linger for several days in consecutive weeks so that led to a rainier than normal period.

yankeesfan123
10-04-2014, 11:34 AM
Yep. We'd get *seriously* asked this many, many times.

Well, the original EPCOT was supposed to have a dome over part of the city...

Main Street Jim
10-04-2014, 07:36 PM
We got back a few days ago and were at the Sept. 23 MNSSHP. The rain was torrential for a while! When we got off the bus we had to walk through a foot of freezing cold water with our socks and sneakers on. Security wasn't letting us go any other way. I guess I'm not understand which "other way" you were supposed to go? Where did you "get off the bus and walk through freezing water", out of curiosity?

natedog24
10-04-2014, 11:17 PM
I guess I'm not understand which "other way" you were supposed to go? Where did you "get off the bus and walk through freezing water", out of curiosity?

I assume by "other way", this poster means the park exit gate that is closest to the resort buses. When you get off the resort buses, there's an spot that looks like it could be a security guard standing there under an umbrella, telling everyone to walk around, down the walkway to the left (next to the boat launches). Unfortunately, due to the slope of the terrain, that area can become a catch basin for torrential rain.
The water wasn't exactly freezing, but it's certainly not comfortable to walk though with sneakers and socks, so I understand this person's hyberbole. Also, it was probably closer to 5 or 6 inches, level with the curb.

ransam
10-05-2014, 04:10 AM
ONe year we had tickets and there was a threat of rain. WHen I asked they said I could attend another night if there was one during our visit, or I could get a free day ticket. It ended up not raining, so it wasn't an issue.

Main Street Jim
10-05-2014, 03:08 PM
I guess I'm not understand which "other way" you were supposed to go? Where did you "get off the bus and walk through freezing water", out of curiosity? I assume by "other way", this poster means the park exit gate that is closest to the resort buses. When you get off the resort buses, there's an spot that looks like it could be a security guard standing there under an umbrella, telling everyone to walk around, down the walkway to the left (next to the boat launches).Oh, OK. I guess I never thought about that. That gate (near the "Guest Relations" window outside the park) has been an "Exit Only" gate since October 2001...everyone has to go through the Bag Check (or the "No Bags" entry") in the center...they're not going to let anyone *in* the "Exit Only" gate....back to your regularly-scheduled post... :mickey: