PDA

View Full Version : Episode 68: Gary Sells Out

John
09-22-2014, 08:10 PM
The Cast: Carol Robert, Cindy Jachrimo, Gary O’Brien, Michael Montanez, John Yaglenski

- Off Kilter is done, new entertainment coming to Epcot.

- Is there an example in Disney history where management has reversed their decision to close something?

- Talking Epcot again

- Marvel coming to Disneyland

- More FROZEN!

- Take it or leave it - Special Edition Magic Bands. Tried out during Star Wars Weekends. Frozen Bands have been circulating. Carol says leave it. Cindy says leave it too. Gary says leave it. Michael leave it. John leave it. Big Goose Egg.

- Carol suggests interchangeable cores for Magic Bands that you can switch to accessorize with your outfit. *INTERCOT Consulting(tm). Fantastic idea!

- Silly Jasmine and Nathan - Gary Sells Out

- Villains Sinister Soiree - trying to see the value proposition by the time you pay for park admission, then special party that night, then special party for only a few hours. *We do an economics lesson. $680 for 5 hours for a family of four.

- More Starbucks

- Drones in the parks

- #runICOT update

>> LISTEN & DOWNLOAD NOW - Episode 69 is Already Recorded! (http://intercot.com/interactive/insiderlive/2014/episode-68.asp)

PirateLover
09-23-2014, 12:48 PM
The Haunted Mansion magic band is indeed awesome, but the price point isn't right. Carol mentioned the little add ons you can buy for them- the bandits I think they are called? Didn't they also sell covers for them? Why aren't these just covers for your existing band instead of an entirely new band?

And I totally agree with your thoughts on the price point of the soirée. Craziness. A cool event but not worth the price. But obviously people are willing to pay, so until they stop turnings out in droves for these events, WDW will keep adding more.

cer
09-23-2014, 02:05 PM
- Is there an example in Disney history where management has reversed their decision to close something?

-

The only attraction in which I "think" the guest outcry may have reversed a decision was in the instance of the Enchanted Tiki Room in Disneyland. I am not 100% sure of the circumstances surrounding the decision to refrain from the "Under New Management" overlay on this attraction, but as I understood it, the guests made a difference.

Great podcast, Y'all.

PirateLover
09-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Also when they completely removed Figment from Journey into Imagination... Added him back in, but not Dreamfinder.

John
09-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Also when they completely removed Figment from Journey into Imagination... Added him back in, but not Dreamfinder.

Doesn't count. The ride track had been shortened and the storyline completely changed. All of the old ride was ripped out. Their only concession was to bring back figment because the ride was absolutely TERRIBLE. Still largely is.

Visit our youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/intercot for different versions to compare... see if you don't agree.

PirateLover
09-23-2014, 02:53 PM
Doesn't count. The ride track had been shortened and the storyline completely changed. All of the old ride was ripped out. Their only concession was to bring back figment because the ride was absolutely TERRIBLE. Still largely is.

Oh, of course, it was a slapped together fix and nowhere near what the fans really wanted. But it was a response of some kind- that's all I was pointing out.

Fangorn
09-23-2014, 03:13 PM
Is there an example in Disney history where management has reversed their decision to close something?

Not sure if this counts - might be close though...

Several years back there was the whole thing around closing Carousel of Progress. It went to Seasonal, then VERY Seasonal and then for a short period, it was "effectively" closed, but not officially. After a significant outcry, it was brought back as a normal part of Tomorrowland.

Steve

John
09-23-2014, 04:14 PM
Not sure if this counts - might be close though...

Several years back there was the whole thing around closing Carousel of Progress. It went to Seasonal, then VERY Seasonal and then for a short period, it was "effectively" closed, but not officially. After a significant outcry, it was brought back as a normal part of Tomorrowland.

Steve

;) I'm gonna say it never officially closed... not sure whether the public outcry did that or that it really needed some serious maintenance.

John
09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Oh, of course, it was a slapped together fix and nowhere near what the fans really wanted. But it was a response of some kind- that's all I was pointing out.

I got it - just saying, it was a redo. We were really talking about an attraction that closed, only to open it's doors again. 20,000 leagues to nemo subs might be the CLOSEST thing to that happening but again, that involved serious re-theming - but it did get the subs running again.

Fangorn
09-23-2014, 06:12 PM
;) I'm gonna say it never officially closed... not sure whether the public outcry did that or that it really needed some serious maintenance.

I hear you, but any "serious maintenance" they did had to have been infrastructure related, not show related. It still looked old, tired and in need of a facelift when it came back on the schedule.

;)

Steve

Cyberg
09-24-2014, 11:21 AM
To ALL Windows Phone users: I used "Disney Expedition" app on my last trip to WDW on my Lumia 1520, it worked great for FastPass+ to add and modify on the go. It has park and resort maps and can be used for navigating the parks for attractions, restaurants and restrooms. They keep adding more features but I have not try the new stuff.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/disney-expedition/a124e5e7-17ba-4955-b269-b4c1857fc8ce

John
09-24-2014, 11:23 AM
To ALL Windows Phone users: I used "Disney Expedition" app on my last trip to WDW on my Lumia 1520, it worked great for FastPass+ to add and modify on the go. It has park and resort maps and can be used for navigating the parks for attractions, restaurants and restrooms. They keep adding more features but I have not try the new stuff.
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/disney-expedition/a124e5e7-17ba-4955-b269-b4c1857fc8ce

Downloaded it last trip on my #lumia1020 and was impressed. It does do a good job in the parks and is sorely needed to fill the gap since Disney is ignoring windows phone users.

princessgirls
09-24-2014, 02:40 PM
$680 for a family of 4 for 5 hours of a Villains party....Whoa....That is A LOT OF MONEY for park time with some Villains thrown in!!!

That is outrageous!!!!!!!!!!

I'm dropping that kind of cash, I'm getting royal spa treatment and Dinner at Victoria and Albert's!!!!!!

Just saying.....
Julie:mickey:

kbean
09-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Cherry Churos.....

CAS
09-25-2014, 02:25 PM
Thanks for mentioning Jasmine and Nathan Gary! They're going to love it. Contractual obligation complete. :mickey:

disneykidsince1970
09-25-2014, 09:03 PM
So excited for new podcast! Downloaded last night from OldKeyWest....where I spent my last night of my short USA trip. ....I type this now from the USAir lounge in Philly waiting for my flight back to Switzerland. Perfect time for a podcast listen!

Will vote on the special magic bands after I listen....but I did comment to my sister, Nikki, just this morning, that I wished I had bothered to log in and customize our bands- even tho we only used for room keys (we were there only 18 hours)... Bc the grey ones are really :ack:.

Thanks in advance for the podcast....!

Goofy4TheWorld
09-25-2014, 09:34 PM
Did Ian have a wardrobe malfunction during the taping of Episode 66 that has resulted in FCC fines and his banishment from podcasts?

John
09-25-2014, 09:45 PM
Did Ian have a wardrobe malfunction during the taping of Episode 66 that has resulted in FCC fines and his banishment from podcasts?

He's back on 69 ;)

Septbride2002
09-27-2014, 07:33 PM
I love it when Michael is on the podcast he always says something that makes me bust out laughing. This particular episode is "And this is why we can't have nice things!"

The nickel and diming of all these "events" is annoying. We went during the Holiday events and didn't spend the extra money on any of them and still felt like we had a magical vacation. The price of admission for these events is expensive enough now they are adding to it.

I try to remember to never say never ;) but at this point in time there are no plans for my family of 4 to participate in any of the parties, the Harambe Nights, etc. The Halloween party is probably the only one that could make me part with my cold hard cash. I love that parade.

I'm okay with the changing entertainment in Epcot. I was never really an Off Kilter fan. I actually liked the Morracan band better. But truly we don't spend as much time in Epcot like we use to. My kids are BORED there. But I think there is a park for each "season" of life. Prior to having kids we spent TONS of time in Epcot. DH and I freaking loved it. We spent next to no time in Studios. With toddlers there was lots of MK and AK. Now with elementary aged kids they want to spend as much time in Studios as possible with MK sprinkled in. There is not much excitement about AK or Epcot. But I know in a few years that may change again.

Of course in a few years I will introduce them to Universal and I'm just hoping they will still indulge their sentimental mom in a ride on Small World. :D

Gosh I sound old.....

Christine
09-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Just listened on my long run. Funny podcast!!! Loved it!

And carol, they do have good candy again- there was a time when it was dollar store off brand stuff. But it's back to M&M's, tootsie rolls, kit kats, Reese's peanut butter cups, Milky Way, snickers, 3 musketeers, skittles, whoppers, butterfingers.... Good stuff! ;)

disneykidsince1970
09-29-2014, 04:24 AM
really enjoyed the listen on my flight guys!

on the bands... I agree with Michael - I would take it for a much smaller fee - $5 is probably my price point. Even better would be the over-riding view is that they should be FREE!

Carol is right - you can put in the little jibbitz (?) thinga-ma-bobs to decorate but... I personally wouldn't / don't do that.

I am always interested in the Epcot discussions... John is right - of course, someone "owns" it and there must be a strategy... I HOPE!?!? It really is quite sad now. a very sad state. I remember so well how innovative and exciting it all was in the beginning.... I remember waiting in a long line for Universe of Energy as a 12 yr old and LOVING it!!

I am betting that b/c of Food/Wine and Home/Garden, concert series, etc.... they are just banking on these events holding Epcot up until after Avatar and Star Wars investments. ... question is when will that be? :confused:

another great podcast!! and even tho I really miss Ian and Mel and Christine... my vote is to have them more often - even if it has to be with less of you... the different combinations are also good! :)

disneykidsince1970
09-29-2014, 04:32 AM
one more comment on the extra Halloween event in the castle...

The cost is absolutely ridiculous on top of the party ticket....for what you actually get.

I read a review of the event and based on what was described - a variation of a dessert party - only quite rushed b/c they tried to get 2 different seatings in there - NOT worth it at all.

I wonder if there is an auto price adjustment simply b/c it is in the castle - who doesn't want to get in there!? (especially if you have never done an event there - it seems like it will be quite special).

If there was something REALLY outstanding... I cannot even imagine what it would be...I might be willing to splurge as a once-off...but, quickie apps/desserts and a song by the step-mother - only to be rushed out so the next group can get in... no thanks.

cer
09-30-2014, 04:35 PM
The nickel and diming of all these "events" is annoying. We went during the Holiday events and didn't spend the extra money on any of them and still felt like we had a magical vacation. The price of admission for these events is expensive enough now they are adding to it.

... at this point in time there are no plans for my family of 4 to participate in any of the parties, the Harambe Nights, etc.

It no longer bothers me if they nickel and dime these "special" "extra" events, as long as they do not interfere with the experience of the day guest (which was discussed at length in the "Numbers With Ian" podcast- excellent episode by the way). I think they are desperately trying to recoup their expenses on the My Disney Experience investment and if they can get it back by offering events for those who are willing to pay for them - that's great.

I agree that the "extras" do not appeal to me at all and I appreciate the people who enjoy them and are willing to pay for them, because in my small mind, I believe they are helping to keep the prices for general admission and resort stays from going up exponentially.

Is it incorrect or naive for me to think of it that way?

Buttercup
10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
Okay I'm finally catching up on podcasts.

First off, did I miss "Gary Selling Out"??? Maybe I missed that.

Anyway, I just wanted to say JOHN!!! Canada will be staying at Old Key West as well for RunICOT!!! Now we need to convince Ian, Michael and Gary to stay there too and we've got the makings of a party! Carol and Mel, and Cindy & Christine, you guys can come join us too! WOOT WOOT! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for the special magic bands? Uhhh no. That ain't gonna happen. Maybe if they did it as an upgrade to the free magic bands, I might get my kids a couple, but I'm not paying $30 when they can get a perfectly good free one in the colour of their choice.

John
10-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Okay I'm finally catching up on podcasts.

First off, did I miss "Gary Selling Out"??? Maybe I missed that.

Anyway, I just wanted to say JOHN!!! Canada will be staying at Old Key West as well for RunICOT!!! Now we need to convince Ian, Michael and Gary to stay there too and we've got the makings of a party! Carol and Mel, and Cindy & Christine, you guys can come join us too! WOOT WOOT! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

As for the special magic bands? Uhhh no. That ain't gonna happen. Maybe if they did it as an upgrade to the free magic bands, I might get my kids a couple, but I'm not paying $30 when they can get a perfectly good free one in the colour of their choice.

Nice - see you at Olivias or out on the deck for a drink!

Gary sold out by doing a mention of a couple folks on the show... maybe you missed that part?

Buttercup
10-04-2014, 08:05 PM
Ahhhhh no you're right. I did hear that. Haha sellout!

mjm
10-06-2014, 11:22 AM
Villains Sinister Soiree -
My comment's not just about this event, but about all of these extras Disney now wants you to purchase. My question is, as John would say "Seriously", is the Disney company doing so bad that it has to have all of these extra money events to make a profit? Someone at Disney has gone off the deep end thinking that they can continue to just keep adding and adding and adding all of these extras for lots of money.

dpamac
10-12-2014, 07:14 PM
Ahhhhh no you're right. I did hear that. Haha sellout!

It helped me raise $2000 for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. So I have that going for me.

GMRO
11-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Another great PC!

MM good to have ya back. Loved the THIS is why...nothing nice comment! Histerical!!!

I'l take the bands as long as they are not money grabbing EVERY BLASTED DAY EVENTS like its THE 3RD Tuesday OF The Month Magic Bands.. I like momentos and think Disney again struck gold on these bands. They PLUSED the RFID usage IMO with the accessories/gibbits and event bands. Still don't like MDE or prescheduling my vaca but I like the band in general.

What Did We Learn? NOTHING again?

I do wish they would throw some money at EPCOT!!! Maybe with Magic band sales they will make $$$ and improve Epcot? ;)

Drones, neat but even at Disney R/C flight will be risky. Lots to contend with while flying quads and multi rotors. Am I excited? YES but thinking their projected use on paper won't come to fruition in the parks once tried in real life situations. Yeah I know it's Disney but they can't beat gravity and simple physics when trying to hoist or carry a screen/payload via R/C. Love to see it!

ALSO - that flying dragon? What if it were BLUE and flew in I don't know AVATAR LAND?!?!? Thinking a good test to fly around the castle and prove it out... :secret:

Great PC! Loved the math lesson too. Thanks AgentC! AND though I'd buy a band for an event DW and I are not event crazy. We feed the mouse pretty regularly but just don't see the need to overfeed him. :)

THANKS!!!