PDA

View Full Version : Dance costumes

Katzateer
09-18-2014, 08:00 AM
Over 15 years of recitals, dance completions and performances we have a collection of favorites from our youngest 's years in dance.

One of our favorites was over 3 years ago Stephanie danced in the televised Christmas parade. Her group was the lead group in the front of the parade of girls and danced right next to Mickey and Ryan Seacrest. It was an honor with over 500 other dancers and for big WDW fans, a thrill for us and my daughter. They also had a dance showcase open to park visitors on the same stage the Frozen sing-a-long is being used for.

The dance studio asked to borrow Stephanie's outfit 2 years ago since a group of girls that hadn't gone to WDW wanted to use the outfits for a performance. We loaned them the outfit and got it back.

Now I am being pestered by the dance studio to give or sell the outfit since they want to perform with the costume again. I told them we have no interest in parting with this dress.

I think it is a little nervy they aren't taking no for an answer. Seems to me after 3 years they could find another outfit in a catalog since most of the girls are new to the team.

Should I feel guilty not giving in to their request. ( We have no contact with anyone at the studio since it has been 3 years since dance classes ended).

kakn7294
09-18-2014, 10:40 AM
If that costume belongs to your daughter, you don't have to allow them to borrow or buy it. You don't owe them a thing. I think it takes a lot of nerve for them to ask, especially for the second time.

ibelieveindisneymagic
09-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Exactly! I'm assuming the costume belongs to her, and they don't have a "right" to it.

Especially with it meaning so much, I wouldn't feel badly at all about saying no!

AgentC
09-18-2014, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't feel bad about it all especially since you are no longer with the studio. It was nice of you to loan it to them once. You have no obligation at all.

Katzateer
09-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Thanks! Makes me feel better because I am sure the assistant dance director that keeps asking thinks it is horrible we won't let them have it. We do own it along with about 30 other adult size costumes that don't really matter. My daughter would have gladly given them some of the other ones even though we paid for and own them. Once recital and competition season is over, most of the younger girls use the outfits for dress up and Halloween parties. The older girls can't do much with them unless someone wants one for a solo at competitions.

Basket Mommy
09-18-2014, 06:34 PM
Tell them you paid to have the costume framed in a shadow box frame and it can't be undone. Period.

You shouldn't have to lie, though. No means no!

ransam
09-21-2014, 03:04 AM
you have no obligation to them to sell it, if they want to borrow it, fine, but you don't have to sell it.