PDA

View Full Version : 10 Commandments Of A Disney Trip

ransam
09-18-2014, 03:46 AM
I got this idea from a fellow poster. But if you had to create a 10 commandments that everyone has to follow for a successful Disney trip, what would yours be? Here are mine.

1. Though shall buy into the act. Be silly, buy a funny hat, allow yourself to act like a kid, and your kid to be a kid as well.
2. Though shall not stand in front of any child during a parade or firework.
3. Though shall remember cast members deal with thousands of people everyday so be polite and nice to them.
4. Though shall not cut in line.
5. Though shall take time to enjoy the que lines.
6. Though shall respect all other guests and realize that if they bump into you or do something you may not like, it is probably an accident and not let it bother your day.
7. Though shall take time to appreciate the beauty of the park and to notice the small things.
8. Though shall take tons of pictures including pics with characters and silly pics.
9. Though shall forget your diet for just a few days and eat ice cream, dole whips, funnel cakes, frozen banannas, and anything else you want.
10. Though shall have a magical day.

LVT
09-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Thank you.:mickey:

retiredfigment
09-18-2014, 07:49 AM
May I be so bold as to add to 5 & 7? Thou shall not get so caught up in timelines, reservations, and spreadsheet schedules that you do not notice the little things:)

BigRedDad
09-18-2014, 09:41 AM
If only this were true. Too many times I hear "We spent all this money for you to have fun and you are going to have fun!!!" All this while dragging a kid by the shirt on to a ride they don't want to be on and to sit for a 1 hour wait.

There is NOTHING at WDW that I must see or do any more. If I can't do it on this trip, there will be another one at some point. Far too often I hear people that finally just slow down and enjoy it, they see and hear things they would have never in the past. Stop and watch the street performers. Sit back and watch the trash can move around Tomorrowland. Go to the resorts and enjoy what they have to offer (Lapu Lapus). I wonder how many people don't know about the piano guy at POR? Free and very entertaining. the street performers on the Boardwalk. Bead activities for kids at AKL

People need to take it easy. The rides are only a small part of WDW. There is so much more to enjoy and appreciate.

MississippiDisneyFreak
09-18-2014, 10:00 AM
Great, it really amazes me how much the little things can ruin some people's vacation.

purplestarlisa
09-18-2014, 10:45 AM
Thank you for posting this! I agree with every single one! :mickey:

ransam
09-18-2014, 03:17 PM
Speaking about dragging kids on rides and stuff like that. One thing I often tell people whi go to Disney World for the first time is the let your kids get their way. I was getting on toy story mania last time I was there and there was a little boy he just screaming and hollering and he did not want to go on the ride. His parents physically put him in the car and held him down while the ride started. To me that was wrong in so many ways. He wasn't happy,his parents weren't happy, and everybody else on the line and cast members felt very uncomfortable. For me, I have found that if I let my kid get his way, he's happier I'm happier. And more often than not once we go on a few rides he wants to go on, he's ready to tackle the one he didn't want to go on in the first place.,

MrPeetrie
09-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Truthfully, if guests do follow your 10 Commandments of a Disney Trip, they WILL have a Magical Vacation.

I try to follow all of them when I'm there.

g8rgirl29
09-18-2014, 07:24 PM
These are so Great and I wish everyone would follow these!! Also remember, if your kids can't go for 12+ hours of excitement without a break at home, they can't do it at Disney either!! I know you spent a lot of money on this Magical trip but you will all enjoy it a lot more if you think realistically and take a break or two!!

garthbarth1
09-21-2014, 09:37 PM
I think there should be 11!!
"Thou Shalt Not use flash photography during DARK RIDES" :thumbsup:

Main Street Jim
09-22-2014, 05:45 PM
I was getting on Toy Story Mania last time I was there and there was a little boy he just screaming and hollering and he did not want to go on the ride. His parents physically put him in the car and held him down while the ride started. He wasn't happy,his parents weren't happy, and everybody else on the line and cast members felt very uncomfortable.Can't tell you how many times I saw this on Splash or Space as a Loader. I would *always* ask the CHILD - not the parent - if they wanted to ride, and 99 times out of 100, it was, "No, no, no, no, no!!" The parent would then always yell at me and say, "Yeah, he/she wants to ride!!", and I would politely tell them that I was asking the *child*, not the parent. I would then open the gates and/or release the lap bars to let them out after a minute or so of...well, to put it nicely..."arguing", and explain that they could either wait for the rest of their party utilizing the Rider Switch, or, they could sit and explain to their child about the ride until they (the child) calmed down enough to *want* to ride on their own. I also told them (the parent) that they wouldn't have to wait in the whole 2-hour queue again; they were more than welcome to wait at the Load area and we'd put them right on to the ride.

ransam
09-23-2014, 02:57 AM
There is a huge difference in age between my brother and myself. about 20 years. When he was 6 or 7, I took him to DL and he didn't want to ride anything. He was intimidated. So we sat on a bench and got some ice cream and eventually he went on Small World without arguing...and after that, I couldn't keep up with him,

tiggerbuddy
09-28-2014, 06:15 PM
Don't run me over with your double stroller:mickey:

texas211
09-28-2014, 07:12 PM
Don't run me over with your double stroller:mickey:

AMEN! I will also add, this is not Ben Hur and your stroller and ECV are NOT chariots and you aren't Messala.

-Though Shalt NOT sing or chant.
-Though shall renounce Frozen and prevent the spread. :)

Terra
09-28-2014, 09:03 PM
AMEN! I will also add, this is not Ben Hur and your stroller and ECV are NOT chariots and you aren't Messala.

-Though Shalt NOT sing or chant.
-Though shall renounce Frozen and prevent the spread. :)

But that's a part of being silly, "letting your hair down", and being a kid again! ;)

Agree on double strollers/EVC. But it goes both ways. Don't step directly in the path of one or nearly 'over' one to get there 2 seconds before us ;)

NJGIRL
09-28-2014, 11:24 PM
They are good! Here are mine

1) Pack Light (Luggage) and don't bring more than you absolutely are going to use. Orlando is in the United States and any unexpected need you can buy at home you can buy in Florida.

2) Either get up early or stay up late....but don't do both or the next day you will be dragging.

3) Have one table service meal per day to recharge and take the time to enjoy a good meal.

4) Don't do attractions that you don't enjoy just to take up time. There are a few attractions at each park that I haven't done in years. They are not that enjoyable and I would rather spend the time sitting on a bench having a cold drink or a yummy snack.

5) Take your time and don't rush through the parks. They are not going anywhere and I found rushing around doesn't let me take in all the atmosphere there is to offer.

6) Go into the parks "hands free". I know families with really small kids can't do this, but I see so many people lugging around huge backpacks and big bags. I find the day to be so much more enjoyable without carrying anything in my hand or on my shoulder. You get to skip the security check point also. I try to do my shopping at the end of the day.

7) Forget about your diet during vacation. Enjoy your meals and snacks...one week isn't going to make a big difference.

8) Don't go on a water attraction without a poncho...Years ago this wouldn't have bothered me, but now I can't stand being soaked down to my under garments or having my socks and sneakers wet, they never fully dry.

9) If the kids don't want to do an attraction don't force them to do it. Having teens now, they don't always like to do the "little kids" rides. It's their vacation too and if they don't enjoy "It's a Small World" don't make them ride with you.

10) Try one new thing each trip....something you have never done....the Segway Tour, Wild African Tour, Fireworks Cruise, BBB Salon, or even just a new character meal.

ransam
09-29-2014, 02:59 AM
They are good! Here are mine

1) Pack Light (Luggage) and don't bring more than you absolutely are going to use. Orlando is in the United States and any unexpected need you can buy at home you can buy in Florida.

2) Either get up early or stay up late....but don't do both or the next day you will be dragging.

3) Have one table service meal per day to recharge and take the time to enjoy a good meal.

4) Don't do attractions that you don't enjoy just to take up time. There are a few attractions at each park that I haven't done in years. They are not that enjoyable and I would rather spend the time sitting on a bench having a cold drink or a yummy snack.

5) Take your time and don't rush through the parks. They are not going anywhere and I found rushing around doesn't let me take in all the atmosphere there is to offer.

6) Go into the parks "hands free". I know families with really small kids can't do this, but I see so many people lugging around huge backpacks and big bags. I find the day to be so much more enjoyable without carrying anything in my hand or on my shoulder. You get to skip the security check point also. I try to do my shopping at the end of the day.

7) Forget about your diet during vacation. Enjoy your meals and snacks...one week isn't going to make a big difference.

8) Don't go on a water attraction without a poncho...Years ago this wouldn't have bothered me, but now I can't stand being soaked down to my under garments or having my socks and sneakers wet, they never fully dry.

9) If the kids don't want to do an attraction don't force them to do it. Having teens now, they don't always like to do the "little kids" rides. It's their vacation too and if they don't enjoy "It's a Small World" don't make them ride with you.

10) Try one new thing each trip....something you have never done....the Segway Tour, Wild African Tour, Fireworks Cruise, BBB Salon, or even just a new character meal.

I like yours a lot.

as for the double stroller and evc comment, I can guarantee one thing that MOST people with a stroller or EVC are much much much much more careful about where they are going and who is around them than those that are walking around. I didn't say all, but MOST are. Remember that people can stop on a dime, reverse in any direction they want, accelerate or deaccelerate speed at any time . strollers and evcs pretty much go in angles. and to stop takes a little bit to stop. I can't tell you how many times my mom has been in her evc and going slow and someone will cut infront of her, and she accidently clips them, because people are faster than evcs, so some how they think it's her fault and give her a dirty look or sometimes even says something nasty. my 80 year old mom got berated by a guy once because his son ran into her and he fell down. My mom was waiting for a parade and not moving and the kid ran into her and this 20ish guy laid into her until security quickly led him away.

The fact is we are all in this together.
Be courteous of others.
take your time.
and if you get bumped maybe you should assume it was an accident and maybe YOU should be a little more careful and thoughtful.

NJGIRL
09-29-2014, 08:12 AM
:blush:

The fact is we are all in this together.
Be courteous of others.
take your time.
and if you get bumped maybe you should assume it was an accident and maybe YOU should be a little more careful and thoughtful.

I agree. We had never used a EVC before, but last year my husbands foot swelled up 7 days into our 10 day trip and we needed to rent one. Oh Boy, it was eye opening. We got to see things from the "other side of the coin". I think they do take up a lot of room and sometimes clog up traffic, but if that's what people need to get around and enjoy themselves then I don't see the big deal in "sharing the road" and being nice to one another. BTW whenever I bump into someone I do always assume it was my fault and apologize, just because it's the right and kind thing to do.

On a side note....We did the Segway tour in EPCOT a couple of years ago. On the way back to park the segways I saw so many stupid people either walking or running in front of us. You can't just stopped on the dime with those and they can cause injury if you hit someone. We even had this jerk taunting us. He was an adult who acted like he was going to step in front of us several times and he laughed each time he did it. Now him I wouldn't have minded running over. ;)

TikiLounger
09-29-2014, 08:49 AM
I love this thread! I shall follow thy Commandments!

just a quick side note about the stroller thing...I never had a problem with them until last year. We were leaving a VERY crowded Magic Kingdom (right after a parade...you all know how that can be) and a grandmother behind us (she was pushing an empty stroller while her daughter was "walking" with a toddler) wasn't paying attention to the ebb and flow of the crowd. Traffic stopped...I stopped...but she kept going. She smashed the stroller foot rest right into the back of my ankle. I got quite a large scrape from this and it hurt like heck. The worst part is that, when she realized what she did, she swore at ME for stopping short! Yikes! :D

texas211
09-29-2014, 08:52 PM
As far as" I can guarantee one thing that MOST people with a stroller or EVC are much much much much more careful about where they are going and who is around them than those that are walking around."

I couldn't disagree more. I'd say people, they are much worse. Now I will agree that people as a whole do not look where they are going. But, no, the stroller (double, triple units ) and ECV crowd often get wrapped up and don't pay attention. Whether be people who need a stroller that large perhaps are too distracted by children or what not, I don't know. As far as ECVs, I think many people who don't ordinarily use them, are now using them at Disney and are not prepared to handle them.

Segways, are something that should be altogether banned from the world, much like Stitch's great escape. :)

ransam
09-30-2014, 02:27 AM
"I couldn't disagree more. I'd say people, they are much worse. Now I will agree that people as a whole do not look where they are going. But, no, the stroller (double, triple units ) and ECV crowd often get wrapped up and don't pay attention. Whether be people who need a stroller that large perhaps are too distracted by children or what not, I don't know. As far as ECVs, I think many people who don't ordinarily use them, are now using them at Disney and are not prepared to handle them."

Of course we are all entitlrd to our opinion and you can disagree all you want, but I have used one once, my mom uses it and I have taken groups of handicapped people to Disney and it is a very self conscious thing when you are on them and you are as careful as you can be. It's common sense that most people do not want to hurt other people or get yelled at, so people on EVC's are much more careful.

I will say that some people who don't usually use evcs use them at the park but it is needed for them to get around a park that big. but driving an evc is not the same as flying a plane. there is not much training and knowledge how to use them.

as human beings we don't usually pay attention to things around us. Next time you are at Disney pay attention to people. They are looking up for the most part, they are looking at the castle, they are moving any way this way and that, and paying no attention to what they are doing.they are running and scurring all over the park, not caring what way they are going. watch the person on an evc. their eyes are strait ahead or often down in a very crowded area being careful.

I will admit that I am very touchy on this because I work with handicapped all the time on a volunteer basis and I have seen what they go through at Disney and it's very sad the abuse that people give them. I have seen the stares, the mocking of them, and all I can do is shake my head at some people and feel happy for them that they don't have to go through what my mom and some of the people I help go through.

you don't have to like people on EVC's but it's not going to change. So you might as well move on and be nice.

ransam
09-30-2014, 02:35 AM
I would like to apologize if I offended anyone on here.
The intent of his post was to be positive. I try to be positive on my posts.
The discussion of the evc users can go on another thread, I wanted this one to be all about being happy and having a great trip.
Again I am sorry if I offended anyone and I won't comment any more on the evc usage on this post. Have a magical day.

Terra
09-30-2014, 06:45 AM
You didn't offend me and I'm loving the thread. I agree with you though.
I know my own son has disabilities [not in a wheelchair] but with his Autism he of course has some issues and often doesn't look where he's going so I'm kind of funneling/shepherding him along. He does bump into people in an excited over stimulated state. I do apologize profusely though. However I/he do get dirty looks which is frustrating and hurtful, like he is some sort of awful thing for doing it.

That to say, generally too, people are truly excited to be there and at times all of us have not paid attention and get caught up. I love seeing that excitement. I've had people bump into me while just walking down MS all starry eyed and I just smile and say no problem, and I love their excitement!

Now back to positive! :)
I also want to commend the WDW staff on behalf of my SN son. I adore how they don't seem to shy away, shun, or look at him weird [like some parks]. They engage him, get on his level, make his ride/day extra special.
I remember one time my son wanted to draw a picture for WDW and give it to them [not sure how you do that ;)]. So when we went to EPCOT one day, while in Guest Relations to make a reservation, he promptly handed it to CM. They were so awesome and made him feel so special because of it!!

So hats off to CM who go out of their way to make our days so special!

NewDVCowner
09-30-2014, 11:37 AM
I also want to commend the WDW staff on behalf of my SN son. I adore how they don't seem to shy away, shun, or look at him weird [like some parks]. They engage him, get on his level, make his ride/day extra special.
I remember one time my son wanted to draw a picture for WDW and give it to them [not sure how you do that ;)]. So when we went to EPCOT one day, while in Guest Relations to make a reservation, he promptly handed it to CM. They were so awesome and made him feel so special because of it!!

So hats off to CM who go out of their way to make our days so special!

That is a lovely story and brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing it.

Terra
10-01-2014, 06:35 AM

:blush: You're welcome. I love how it is consistent too. We go often and it's always so magical for all of us!

ransam
10-02-2014, 03:38 AM

Thank you for sharing your story. it was beautiful.

My son has ADHD....he is the happiest most joyful boy I have known. But he has had issues at Disney before and the cast members are so awesome to him. ONce when he was throwing a small fit, one of the cast members motioned to me for permission and when I nodded she came over and gave him a mickey ears ice cream bar.
another time we were waiting for the toy story characters and he wouldn't keep still. well some nice cast member pulled us out of line and took us to a private meeting in a private room of woody and Buzz where they played with him and took lots of pictures. To see his 3 year old face as he stared at them in awe as if he was thinking "wow, they are real!!) is something my gf and I will never forget.

Gator
10-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Did this post just get hijacked? :offtopic:

Thou shalt always enjoy World Showcase Players and Off Kilter when at Epcot. .... sigh

Main Street Jim
10-02-2014, 05:22 PM
Terra, you need to stop by any of the Art Gallery locations (Main Street Cinema, Art of Disney at EPCOT and DtD, etc.) and have your son drop off a few drawings for them, especially if one of the artists is in session at the easel. :) They would *LOVE* it, and, he'd get to meet real Disney artists. :)

Terra
10-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Thank you for sharing your story. it was beautiful.

My son has ADHD....he is the happiest most joyful boy I have known. But he has had issues at Disney before and the cast members are so awesome to him. ONce when he was throwing a small fit, one of the cast members motioned to me for permission and when I nodded she came over and gave him a mickey ears ice cream bar.
another time we were waiting for the toy story characters and he wouldn't keep still. well some nice cast member pulled us out of line and took us to a private meeting in a private room of woody and Buzz where they played with him and took lots of pictures. To see his 3 year old face as he stared at them in awe as if he was thinking "wow, they are real!!) is something my gf and I will never forget.
That is so awesome!! Love it when I hear stories of CMs going above/beyond!!

Terra, you need to stop by any of the Art Gallery locations (Main Street Cinema, Art of Disney at EPCOT and DtD, etc.) and have your son drop off a few drawings for them, especially if one of the artists is in session at the easel. :) They would *LOVE* it, and, he'd get to meet real Disney artists. :)

Oh great idea!! I never thought of that. I sure will. Thank you!!

texas211
10-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Yeah the guy at Epcot is super cool. I spoke w/ him when we were figuring out which pieces to buy and noticed there he was drawing away. Really neat that they have that.

All of the artisan type folks at WDW have been really interesting to speak with.