PDA

View Full Version : no park

Nekochan
09-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I might be staying for one night in WDW at the beginning of November, but a one day ticket is too pricey for me. Any ideas on low cost stuff to do? I'll be there on a thursday night if I make it at all. My thoughts are:

1) Explore the Animal Kingdom Lodge
2) Ride the monorails and then sit on the beach at the Poly with a mai tai and watch the fireworks
3) Boardwalk

any other ideas out there that don't involve going into one of the theme parks?

faline
09-09-2014, 07:11 PM
You already have some good ideas. (Not sure about sitting on the beach at the Poly - things are pretty much a mess over there now with all the construction) How about spending some time at Downtown Disney? You could get a drink to go at the Grand Floridian and wander down to the dock to watch the fireworks from there.

You could take a boat to Fort Wilderness and either rent a bicycle to ride around or a canoe to go through the canals.

How about the sing along and movie at Fort Wilderness or the movie at one of the other resorts?

Spend some time at the pool?

Punchdrunk
09-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Ride the water transports around Seven Seas Lagoon. Go to DTD.

Maleficent_vf
09-09-2014, 08:50 PM
If you go to DTD, the boat ride from DTD to POR is very pleasant. Could give you an interesting view of the DTD make-over too.

If you do watch the fireworks from the Poly or GF, don't forget about the Electrical Water Pageant.

There's an afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian.

We just love visiting the resorts, especially the deluxe ones. It's fun to just slow down and take in the atmosphere of each one.

DonaldDuckUSA
09-09-2014, 10:15 PM
Are you a sports fan? You could watch a game at the ESPN Club. Have a drink or two.

Janmac
09-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Where are you staying?

We're talking about Big River Grill and Brew Pub on our next trip on a non-park day afternoon. Specially if it's nice enough to sit outside.

We used to not understand the attraction of the Boardwalk until we stayed there in 2013. We enjoyed the Boardwalk after dark much more than I would have figured.

Jan

hauntedmansiongirl
09-10-2014, 02:02 AM
Yehaa Bob at Riverside is amazing in the evenings. He is an old times piano man who gets the whole place singing! There is no cover charge and they don't frown on you if you only drink non-alcoholic drinks or bring your refillable mug in from the food court.

The mini-golf courses are amazing and around $10. The Winter Summerland course is one of the best courses we've ever played!

We've also spent an afternoon riding the boats between Epcot and DHS.

Stopping at each monorail resort and grabbing a drink at each one or just looking at the gift shops is a lot of fun too!

Like Faline said, Fort Wilderness is a plethora of cheap entertainment. We love going to visit the huge Belgian and Clydesdale horses in the barn, then taking a walk around the campground checking out all of the amazing rigs. It's fun seeing the big motor homes and the way some campers decorate their sites.

The Christmas decorations should be up when you go, so checking out the different resorts could occupy a whole day! I've never seen it, but I hear that the Grand Floridian has an awesome gingerbread house! :mickey:

ransam
09-10-2014, 04:11 AM
There is so much to do. Explore DTD, the resorts, play miniature golf.
Have fun

LVT
09-10-2014, 07:20 AM
I enjoy the electric water pageant. I will also ride the boats between MK and Grand Floridian
at that time. There are usually a few people on board just for the water pageant. Generally you just stay on for the round trip and see the water parade up close a couple of times.
We also try to time the main Ferry for the fire works. They will stop along with the fireworks tour boats, if the timing is right.;)

JabberJaws
09-10-2014, 09:23 AM
You've already hit on some of my best ideas. I'd say resort hop in general. Get on the resort loop monorail and spend some time exploring all 3 on the loop.

The moderates are all fun to explore, as well as Wilderness Lodge and AKL (which you already mentioned).

The epcot monorail loop is fun too because you get a glimpse inside the park.

If you have time, the mouse boats in the Seven Seas Lagoon are fun, but that's a bit more time consuming and also costs $$.

You can see some of illuminations from the Boardwalk area. You can also walk up to the International Gateway during Illuminations if you want to hear the sounds.

Of course you already mentioned watching the MK fireworks from around the lagoon. If you time it right, you can also see them from the monorail!

Many have already mentioned DTD. If you have some time and extra $$, DisneyQuest is a fun time killer too, but again, it costs.

It's never ideal to not be able to slip into the parks, but you can still have fun for sure!

#1donaldfan
09-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Resort Hop !!:mickey:

KAJUNKING
09-10-2014, 01:51 PM
I agree with going to see Yehaa Bob! He is in my opinion the best free entertainment in all of WDW!

minnie04
09-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Everyone has such great ideas. I would resort hop, walk the Board walk and maybe hit DTD. And definitely find a stop to see the fireworks at the end of the night. :mickey:

ransam
09-12-2014, 05:02 AM
I think the Boardwalk is a great idea.
another thing you can do is go to the Cont. and find a viewing spot for the fireworks. they have them on different floors.

MissMaryPoppins
09-13-2014, 12:53 AM
You could take a boat to Fort Wilderness and either rent a bicycle to ride around.

The bike ride is a great idea. My family stated at Wilderness Lodge an one day we didn't feel like doing a park and it was too cloudy to go to the pool so we we rented bikes. The cast member who assisted us showed us a map with the trail to Fort Wilderness and we headed out. It was simple bites had such a great time! We saw River Country, which was abandoned and creepy, and then rode around Fort Wilderness which so nice and peaceful, I was surprised. We stopped for something to drink and some snacks and were on our way. It's a nice way to spend an afternoon.

TheVBs
09-13-2014, 08:28 AM
We were there for a couple of days one November, on our way to see family. We stayed at AoA, went to the Christmas party, did two rounds of mini golf and DTD. We had a blast and really felt like we got a quick Disney fix! :mickey: