PDA

View Full Version : lake at Pop Century resort

polarbear72834
09-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Does Disney make sure there are no Gators or snakes in and around the lake at Pop century Resort ? Or should I be worried ??? Would like to take a stroll on the walkway by the lake, but not if there will be gators or snakes..

Strmchsr
09-05-2014, 06:28 PM
It is Florida. You can't ever rule out wildlife anywhere. That said, I've run and walked around that lake tons of times and never seen an alligator. Once or twice I've seen a little black racer snake, but those are pretty rare (and harmless). You're much more likely to see ducks, lots of little lizards and rabbits.

polarbear72834
09-05-2014, 06:39 PM
Thank you , I just don't get around to good and can't move to fast if I had to get away from a gator or big snake.. Will look it over good when I get there..

Strmchsr
09-05-2014, 06:46 PM
You shouldn't have any worries at all. The time I saw the little black racer he did what those snakes do everywhere else i see them (which, living in the FL panhandle I see them all the time) - just quickly crossed the path on his way. The won't bother you at all. So, if on the very small chance you do see one just stay still and it'll be out of the way very quickly. I have seen gators on Disney property, but never at that lake. Given the foot traffic around there I would think they have to keep them clear of that area.

faline
09-05-2014, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't worry about running into a snake or an alligator while at Disney World. While both creatures are present on Disney property and an encounter is remotely possible, it is highly unlikely your will need to make a quick getaway from either type of animal. Happy strolling!!

Butters
09-05-2014, 09:03 PM
there was a gator a few years back in the rivers of america they had to pull out. Goes to show they could be anywhere, but not worth worrying about since they generally aren't out to attack humans anyway.

MargaretMessler
09-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Worst thing you'll see out and about is lizards and frogs, perhaps a small snake.

joonyer
09-05-2014, 11:16 PM
The skeeters are a bigger threat than gators or snakes, but not near as thrilling ! :D

Main Street Jim
09-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Worst thing you'll see out and about is lizards and frogs, perhaps a small snake.

[QUOTE=Butters;2432573]There was a gator a few years back in the Rivers of America they had to pull out. Goes to show they could be anywhere, but not worth worrying about since they generally aren't out to attack humans anyway.[/QUOTEUhhh....yep. We actually had a position in the Splash rotation called "Gator watch", because it would hang out behind the Turkey Leg wagon and people would feed it. We had to remind folks NOT to feed the gator.

This thing ended up being about ten feet long and about 500 pounds; it was trapped in a reservoir pond behind Splash/Thunder and relocated to another part of Disney property.

Every once in a while you'd see 'em in the ponds along the golf courses.

This week, we've seen a LOT of wild turkeys running alongside World Drive and elsewhere.

kakn7294
09-06-2014, 10:55 AM
We never saw any gators in that particular lake during the last week of June. As previously pointed out, you can never rule out the possibility of gators being anywhere on property. I've heard many stories, including how a gator had my friend and her co-workers trapped in the building in which she worked behind the MK. It was hanging out at the door and they couldn't leave until animal control came and captured it.

GoldenAurora
09-06-2014, 11:47 AM
I remember the story about the gator in the Rivers of America and being told by CMs that that was the reason Tom Sawyer island was temporarily closed during that one particular trip, but we never saw it or any other gators or snakes in all our time at WDW. Enjoy your trip and don't worry!

Main Street Jim
09-06-2014, 11:01 PM
Just *tonight* (9/6/14) at Coronado, we saw a about-4-footer near the bridge by the Dig Site, and a HUGE soft-shell turtle that was bigger 'n the gator....I got pics on FaceBook...

disney obsessed
09-06-2014, 11:24 PM
I have seen a gator in the rivers of america. It was about three years ago. Small one, maybe4-5 foot long. Just hanging out by the wooden boardwalk.

mechanic
09-09-2014, 11:10 PM
Just *tonight* (9/6/14) at Coronado, we saw a about-4-footer near the bridge by the Dig Site, and a HUGE soft-shell turtle that was bigger 'n the gator....I got pics on FaceBook...
Same place I saw my only disney gator. Little guy about two feet. Cm wastossing marshmallows trying to net it.

ransam
09-14-2014, 02:44 AM
I'm much more afraid of snakes than gators.
in 1999 I went with my brother and my GF and we saw a gator on property. My brother was freaking as I was taking pics of it. He told me later I was crazy. My response was that if he wanted me, he would get me, he's faster. Besides I used the old joke that maybe I couldn't out run the gator, but I could outrun either of them so I was safe.

Katzateer
09-14-2014, 08:03 AM
We have seen little ones at Flame Tree dining area by the water. Anything native in Florida could show up.

I saw some deer grazing when on monorail to Epcot a few weeks ago. Had to look twice to see if they were animatronics. Lol

BigRedDad
09-14-2014, 08:59 AM
First, a rarely known fact about an aligator is that it is about the fastest animal on land for aout 75 feet in a straight line. They have so much power to get to full speed quickly. But, they can't turn. As for snakes, there are only a few that are aggressive and will chase you. The most common there would be the moccosan. The good news is they prefer to stay in the water areas and not be on land. Unless you walk right at the edge of the water, you won't encounter one.

Almost all animals prefer not to have human contact. They will flee to protection first. You probably have a better chance of being attacked by a polar bear than a snake or aligator there.

ransam
09-15-2014, 02:59 AM
people say that snakes are more afraid of us than we are of them. In my case that is not true.

Tigerinvestigator
10-03-2014, 10:35 AM
We saw a small copperhead on the road inside Fort Wilderness in July. That is the only venomous snake I have seen in WDW and I've spent hundreds and hundreds of days at WDW since 1973. I've seen quite a few gators over the years including a huge one that blocked traffic near the Swan/Dolphin a few years ago. I wouldn't let it keep me from walking or running at Disney. Chances are you will never see one, but if you do they will try to avoid you as much as you do them. I've been a park ranger most of my life and it's just part of life you get used to being in the outdoors. The beauty far outweighs the fear for me.:thumbsup:

1DisneyNut
10-03-2014, 11:24 AM
We have seen both but it has been a while. We saw an alligator about 4ft swimming in one of the lakes. I think it was when we were staying at Saratoga and was walking the path back from Downtown but I can't remember for sure. I didn't worry about it too much......it is Florida and gators are everywhere. We saw a snake crossing one of the sidewalks at one of the resorts once. I think that may have been Port Orleans. It went into the brush before I got a good look so I am not sure what kind.

Anyway, being from the South, snakes are just a part of life so I don't concern myself with them too much. We live out in the country and rarely encounter them. They are everywhere but do a good job of avoiding us so we rarely see them. Most are only dangerous and strike if you surprise them/catch them off guard or get close to their eggs.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You never hear about people having encounters with them at WDW and if it was happening it would be all over social media.

#1donaldfan
10-03-2014, 12:26 PM
My DD sent me a picture of a gator at the little pond just outisde the gates at AK. It was about 5 ft. long running toward cover.

I nearly stepped on a tiny black snake on the sidewalk at AKL leading to the parking lot a couple of years ago.

I've used the path around the hour glass lake many times when running and have never seen anything other than lizzards and a random squirrel. :mickey:

etibbetts
10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
We were just at POP from 9/13-9/27. We've also stayed here and AOA before. I've never seen anything there however during our visit last month my brother in law did see a rather large snake right outside our rooms in the 50's section. He said it didn't move until he got close to it then the snake slithered away into the bushes.

I did see a lot of cute bunnies though!

natedog24
10-03-2014, 10:54 PM
I did see a lot of cute bunnies though!

My goodness... they were EVERYWHERE around POP a couple weeks ago...

As far as the creatures more dangerous than the vicious bunnies... As a rule, I always assume any body of water in Florida has a gator in it. That being said, most of the time, they don't want anything to do with people, so as long as you're not poking it with a stick, they keep to themselves. :nudge::gator::scared:

Patricia
10-05-2014, 02:02 PM
Let me start by saying, I have never seen gators at POP.

A couple of years ago we saw a gator between DTD and Saratoga Springs, which made us realize that was probably why that path is closed at night. Some of us need to be hit over the head. :blush:

Also had quite a few gator sightings at Shades of Green years ago while staying there for an ICOT meet. Plenty of baby gators!

And there is always this pic that Ed sent me from Adventureland. I think this could be taking the adventure theme too seriously.

DisneyDadfromPittsburgh
10-07-2014, 09:03 AM
After staying at POP a number of times, I am ashamed to say this but...."POP Century Resort has a lake" ?

Strmchsr
10-07-2014, 10:28 AM
After staying at POP a number of times, I am ashamed to say this but...."POP Century Resort has a lake" ?

And quite a large one with a nice walkway now between POP and AoA. It's much nicer now than when there was just a ghost town of the previous Pop expansion on the other side of the lake.

princessgirls
10-08-2014, 09:54 AM
We saw a slow moving Armadillo during our August 2011 stay at the Pop. We were lake side.

I live in a Suburban neighborhood, and I can see on any given day, turkey, deer, bear, coyote, non poisonous snakes right in my very backyard.

Julie:mickey:

GBBT
10-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Beware the Jungle Cruise....it has a BIG snake that might "have a crush on you" and some crocodiles that are "looking for a hand out"......:D:D:D:D

ransam
10-10-2014, 04:24 AM
Let me start by saying, I have never seen gators at POP.

A couple of years ago we saw a gator between DTD and Saratoga Springs, which made us realize that was probably why that path is closed at night. Some of us need to be hit over the head. :blush:

Also had quite a few gator sightings at Shades of Green years ago while staying there for an ICOT meet. Plenty of baby gators!

And there is always this pic that Ed sent me from Adventureland. I think this could be taking the adventure theme too seriously.

If I saw that by the toilet, i'm afraid I wouldn't need the toilet anymore, but I might have to go back to my room for a new pair of shorts.

Crow
10-18-2014, 01:54 AM
rabbits. squirrels..turtles. on property is what I saw..
on ME on the way to airport saw an alligator