PDA

View Full Version : DLR: First, and probably only, visit (tips?)

rain
09-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Being from North Carolina my upcoming three day trip to Anaheim will likely be my one and only. While my DW will be entrenched in work related matters for a week, we have three days to devote to DL and CA (Sept 26-28). I am a self-proclaimed well knowledged and experienced WDW traveler but have no experience with DL. What do I need to know so I don't miss something important in the parks. I will also start a dining thread as well. Any and all help is appreciated. Also any links to particularly helpful previous threads are appreciated.

cer
09-02-2014, 12:16 PM
Being from North Carolina my upcoming three day trip to Anaheim will likely be my one and only. While my DW will be entrenched in work related matters for a week, we have three days to devote to DL and CA (Sept 26-28). I am a self-proclaimed well knowledged and experienced WDW traveler but have no experience with DL. What do I need to know so I don't miss something important in the parks. I will also start a dining thread as well. Any and all help is appreciated. Also any links to particularly helpful previous threads are appreciated.

You sound just like me! I just returned from DLR yesterday and it was my first as an adult trip. We were participating in the run disney events, so our time there was scheduled around those.

The first days we felt very tired and just wandered around and did not get much done. Did better later on in the trip.

DCA
We did not get to World of Color. We got the fast pass (which you have to do if you do not do a dining package), but were so tired and not up for showing up 1 hour before the show to get in place and then stand for a 28 minute show. So, I cannot comment on that.

We enjoyed Radiator Springs Racers - so great - don't miss this one.

We enjoyed the Mator Ride at the entrance of Radiator Springs - cute.

I would not waste my time on the Luigi Tire ride. Not much going on there, but laughs with the family because of all the effort we were putting into the leaning to get it to go...

California Screamin' is a great coaster. If you like coasters, don't miss it. I just seemed to go on and on.

Another fun ride for us was Goofy's Sky School. Fun time, we laughed a lot on this one.

We had fun on the swinging gondolas on Mickey's Fun Wheel. It is very slow loading and not much to it. Skippable, but I was curious and wanted to try it. Fun, but I would not consider it a must do.

Also enjoyed the Monster's Inc ride. Very cute loved the characters in here and the door scene.

The award for BEST SHOW NOT TO BE MISSED (in my opinion) is the Aladdin show at DCA. The theater is beautiful, indoors, air conditioned and real theater seating. We viewed from the second floor, but as with all Disney shows, I do not think there is a bad seat in the house.

Did not make it on Grizzly River Run (or whatever the water ride is)...

Also did not do any attractions in the Bugs life section but it is very cute to walk through.

The park is nice, but HOT. The Paradise Pier area is wide open, if I were to do it again, might try snagging a fp for Radiator Springs Racers in the morning and then moving on to Paradise pier and then work your way back to the front of the park where there seems to be a little more cover.

I will comment more on DL a little later.

Aurora
09-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Just visited DL in August for only two days. :( I wish we had at least one more day to tour. Here are my thoughts:

-- I'm not sure how crowds will be for you, since you're going in September. But we went during Southern California annual pass blockout days, and the parks were still crowded, with long wait times. September will be open for passholders. Use FastPass, which works the way it did at WDW before MyMagic.

-- You'll find that more attractions are packed in the DL parks than in WDW. That's because in addition to original DL rides that weren't/aren't included in WDW, others were added to the parks, such as Star Tours and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror. It makes for much more to do in each park than the parks at WDW.

-- The World of Color show is wonderful. We didn't have a package so we got FPs (which are separate from any ride FPs you get), and showed up about 45 minutes before the show, which was fine. Your FPs have a color, which tells you which section you're allowed into. We were in Blue and were very happy with our spot. I wouldn't miss this show.

-- Fantasmic is performed on the Rivers of America, which makes it more dramatic but also means you stand during the show and it makes it difficult to move in this area of the park if you're not watching. Avoid this area at night if you're not planning on seeing the show.

-- At California Adventure, go to Radiator Springs Racers first thing and get FPs. The line fills up very quickly and stays long all day. It's a great ride.

-- We tried to do all the rides that were not at WDW, but we didn't get to all of them because of the crowds. I would check out the maps and do the attractions that aren't in the other park. We rode things like Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Matterhorn, Monsters Inc., Snow White, etc. We enjoyed Tarzan's Treehouse more than the Swiss Family Treehouse because of the movie tie. Grizzly River Run is a fun, wet water ride.

Don't miss DL's version of Pirates of the Caribbean, which is longer and more immersive than WDW, and Indiana Jones and the Forbidden Temple, in my opinion one of the best rides on either coast. Also notice that in the Haunted Mansion the stretching room is actually longer than the one at WDW.

-- Others may disagree, but I think also not to be missed is the Animation Building at California Adventure, which includes the Sorcerer's Workshop and Turtle Talk with Crush. The main area is wonderful for Disney animation fans. Sorcerer's Workshop is unique and imaginative.

-- If you liked Toontown at WDW, you'll want to visit it here, because it's gone in Florida. My 18-year-old DD was so happy to see it again.

-- There are little details in DL that feel pretty magical. One is the Sleeping Beauty castle walkthrough. Another is the light show in the water near the fairy meet and greet.

-- We had a bit of luck during the afternoon parade, when we waited in line for the Alice in Wonderland ride. The parade literally comes within a couple of feet of the queue. So we had a close-up view without a curbside wait. (And more interaction with the characters as well.)

That's all I can think of for now. Hope you have a great trip!

BrowncatP
09-02-2014, 06:47 PM
At DL you can still ride in the front of the monorail. Also at the Mark Twain Riverboat get there before the boat arrives and ask to go to the "wheel house." If they let you go up to the top of the boat then you get to "steer the riverboat." I got to go and it was FUN. Not only do you steer the boat, but you ring the bell and sound the whistle.

DisneyLandMomma
09-03-2014, 05:22 PM
In case you didn't already know, the 26th is the first day of the Halloween party so Disneyland will close a little early for that depending on party start time. Party ticket holders are also allowed in a few hours before the party starts so it can be a little busy during that overlap.

Disneyland will be decorated for Halloween so you will get to experience Haunted Mansion Nightmare Before Christmas and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy. :)

Nekochan
09-09-2014, 06:44 PM
There are a few things you should try to get to.

World of Color show
Mr. toad's ride
Innoventions (they have an AMAZING iron man thingy)
The Aladdin Show
Indiana Jones ride
California Screamin'
Finding Nemo (if the wait isn't too long)
Monsters Inc Ride

For the Racing car ride in Cars land, it was good but it's also kind of, in my opinion, a 'test track wanna be'. It does have a single rider line - my son and I ended up in the same car, just different rows

tinkwest
09-09-2014, 07:04 PM
During your visit the Haunted Mansion will be inhabited by the Nightmare Before Christmas characters. I look forward to this transformation every year. Also Space Mountain will be presented as Ghost Galaxy. Now that one, personally, I prefer in the original version.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage is currently scheduled to reopen from a refurbishment on September 27th. The Mark Twain Riverboat is scheduled to be under refurbishment during your visit.

If you need a break, take a Dole Whip in to The Enchanted Tiki Room to relax and recharge.

badkitty
09-09-2014, 08:46 PM
As a frequent DL visitor over the last 50 years, I agree with the favorites listed above.

Also to note, the FP for the Racers is not back at the ride. It is the distribution area for It's Tough to be a Bug. This is on the way to CarsLand so be careful not to pass it up on the left hand side.

One of my favorites at Disneyland is Mickey and the Magical Map. A great show and a nice way to take a break during the day.

I enjoy eating at Cafe Orleans. Love the gumbo.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time and will be amazed at how close everything is together. :mickey:

texas211
09-28-2014, 06:40 PM
We too are seasoned WDW travelers, and went to DL for the first time in May. For us, WDW is vastly superior in most ways. DL was somewhat of a let down, but there are some musts that are superior to WDW. Also, you better like churros, as they serve them everywhere.

Musts:
-Thunder Mountain. It pains me to say, superior to WDW. Better effects.
-Cars Racers, the only Disney ride worth 60+ minute wait. I mean that. Of any Disney ride.
-Fantasmic, but get the dessert plan. There is no seating for Fantasmic, and the DL version is worth seeing. W/ the dessert plan, you get a folding chair and some tasty treats.
-Monster's Inc. Cute and fun. Short wait is nice.
-POTC
-HM, shorter, but slightly different.
-Matterhorn. Be advised if you are larger, or taller, you might not fit. Only Disney ride I've ever had an issue with.
-Mr. Toad LIVES!
-Snow White too!
-Mr. Lincoln, is a blend of Hall of Presidents and the American Adventure. Kind of interesting that way for WDW veterans. Bring some crisco, b/c those chairs were made when the average male was 120 lbs or something.
-Aladdin is a great show.

Skip:
-Muppets 3d.. Exactly the same as DHS.
-Soarin. Skip if necessary, as the ride is exactly the same as Epcot, but in a much hotter and uncomfortable line.
-Little Mermaid. Exactly the same at MK... Plus the fact it's like only a 5 minute wait at DCA versus the long line at MK will only make you mad.
-Also the same, Star Tours.