PDA

View Full Version : Marathon relay??

NewDVCowner
08-30-2014, 11:15 PM
I've recently seen a handful of mentions of a marathon relay option but can't find anything on the run disney site. Is this still something they're doing? If so, how do you sign up for it?

Thanks so much!

Melanie
08-31-2014, 12:13 AM
I think the relay was retired a few years back???

cer
09-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Yes there was a Chip and Dale relay, but it was "one and done".

They only offered it the one year.

NewDVCowner
09-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Thank you. I kind of figured since I couldn't find anything current about it, but I figured that people here would know for sure. :rocks:

Lacy
09-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Just curious - anyone know why it was a one and done? I know of several local races where the relays are very popular. But I guess RunDisney is not struggling to attract runners :unsure:

dnickels
09-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Just curious - anyone know why it was a one and done? I know of several local races where the relays are very popular. But I guess RunDisney is not struggling to attract runners :unsure:

As I understand it, it was a logistics headache that they didn't want to deal with. It's tough enough closing down roads and having one staging area, but with the relay they needed to also get those X number of people to the half point mark, then get the first half runners back, and they'd have to set up an extra medical tent at the half point for any runners who completed the first half and needed attention, and on and on. Basically all of the stuff they have at the start and finish they'd need to set up (on a smaller scale of course) at the halfway point.

It's one thing with a few dozen or maybe a hundred runners, and that's why you see it with local races, but very few of the huge marathons have a relay option for that reason.