PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing Race 25

MNNHFLTX
08-30-2014, 12:23 PM
September 26th is the date! I am going to miss this being on Sunday evenings (even though sporting events did cause issues with recording it). Check out the trailer:

TAR 25 teams (http://www.cbs.com/shows/amazing_race/video/B66BDFE9-F26E-F9DE-00A5-1C98245EC93C/the-amazing-race-meet-the-cast/?ftag=MKTc17e811&ttag=news_top_AR_CTA_pg_08.29)

It will be nice to have all new teams this season, although I'm sure some of you are familiar with the team that was on Survivor. Especially intriguing to me are Adam and Bethany, Michael and Scott, Shelly and Nici. I have a feeling that the Wrestlers will provide some of the drama and, of course, we have the requisite Blondes! And what about the spray-tanned dentists? :eek2:

dobby2010
08-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Looks great, can't wait!

DizneyRox
08-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Been watching TAR Canada and Australia (vs New Zealand) and while in theory they are the same, they feel like cheap imitations. The places they go on the US version are better. Haven't really cared for any of the teams on recent seasons.

Melanie
08-30-2014, 09:37 PM
I love that Bethany Hamilton is doing this. She's awesome! And at quick glance, I have no idea who the Survivor folks are.

TheDuckRocks
08-31-2014, 10:23 AM
It took me a moment to remember the Survivor team (I still don't remember him), I think she was a country music singer.
Holy spray tan. Maybe they will become the "Tannies", after all we saw the Twinnies in the past.
I wonder how fast the wrestlers will get on everyone's nerves. The promo was almost too much.
Hopefully the dating college guys are really, really smart as they sure don't look like they could be much of a threat in the physical challenges.
As in the past by the time this race finishes I will probably have a completely different take on all of them and will have to eat my words.:blush:

PirateLover
08-31-2014, 05:50 PM
The video doesn't work for me, maybe my adblocker software is blocking the site. How do you all feel about the new immunity twist? Instead of getting an express pass, the team that wins the first leg will get an immunity pass that saves them if they ever come in last place. To me, this completely takes any strategy out of it and dumbs the race down even more. (Unless I'm missing something, but this is how it reads to me.)

MNNHFLTX
08-31-2014, 11:28 PM
The video doesn't work for me, maybe my adblocker software is blocking the site. How do you all feel about the new immunity twist? Instead of getting an express pass, the team that wins the first leg will get an immunity pass that saves them if they ever come in last place. To me, this completely takes any strategy out of it and dumbs the race down even more. (Unless I'm missing something, but this is how it reads to me.)

It sounds like Survivor??

I see your point, Maryanne. As long as they don't "double" the immunity pass (like they've doubled everything else), I'm willing to give it a chance.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-02-2014, 10:07 AM
Apparently in other versions of TAR they introduced something called a Salvage Pass, which allowed one team to either save another team, or get an extra time advantage the next leg. But as I understand it, it could only be used the first leg. So the team that won it most often gave it to another team to garner good will.

Supposedly its going to be called "The Save". What little I've read about it is still vague. I don't know if it can be carried thru the 8th leg like the Express Pass, and I don't know if this replaces the EP or if its in addition to it, or if the team that holds it can use it on or transfer it to another team.

Personally, it feels like the super idol on Survivor, you don't need to play it until your name is actually read, and not before. I could easily see the team winning it never having to use it. On the surface, I'm not seeing a whole lot of upside to it, other than it makes one team very powerful, if its allowed to be carried several legs.

Can't wait for the new season, haven't checked the cast bios yet.

ransam
09-04-2014, 03:12 AM
I can tell which teams will annoy me already. LOL

PirateLover
09-27-2014, 11:00 AM
Did everyone catch the premiere? I thought it was a decent opener. I liked the roadblock on the beach, hunting for the treasure chest. I laughed when they put that little graphic of the treasure on screen to indicate where it actually was for the final 3 teams that were having such a difficult time. I was happy to see the blondes get eliminated. Nothing bothers me more than these girl teams who are so quick to play the woe-is-me card. I rewound the altercation at the sign up board 3x, and while it wasn't crystal clear who got there first, the firefighter did have the pen in his hand and the blonde ripped the pen right out. Then she complained to Phil on the mat about being shoved out of the taxi- one of the firefighters was already IN the taxi so what on earth was she trying to accomplish by trying to force her way in? That being said, I'm not a big fan of the firefighters. I thought it was weak of everyone to take the penalty. And then when the one said "We're from Boston, that's what we do, we come back" I cringed a little. Coming back would've been to find the treasure and bump off one of the teams who took the penalty. I don't have a favorite team yet.

dobby2010
09-27-2014, 12:04 PM
I thought it was great! This season is looking to be really interesting.

Loved the treasure challenge. We also cracked up when they showed where it actually was.

Also glad the blondes went home, couldn't stand them. Thinking the firefighters will be next, a four hour penalty is a lot to come back from!

The other thing that made me wince was when the urban cyclist girl (Kim?) was ogling Bethany's husband right in front of her. I found that very inappropriate, but she handled it well.

Melanie
09-27-2014, 12:39 PM
Ooooh, I'll just say I do not like the dentists. At all.

TheDuckRocks
09-27-2014, 03:12 PM

I agree!
And I'm sooooooooooo glad we've gotten rid of the blonde team this early.

Kenny1113
09-27-2014, 07:02 PM
I agree the girls taking the pen out of their hands as they were writing was just wrong and then to claim she was playing friendly :sick: but the entire time my boys and I were hoping it would be the wrestlers to go. Loved it when their boat sank!

tinkwest
09-27-2014, 08:22 PM
We loudly cheered "Hurray!" when the blondes were eliminated first. Did not like their style of play. So happy this show is back on.

PirateLover
09-28-2014, 09:11 AM

Was it anything they said or did in particular? Or just a vibe? I admit I was fighting off the sandman a bit throughout the episode so I feel like I may have missed something. I don't particularly like or dislike them what I can recall.

TheDuckRocks
09-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Was it anything they said or did in particular? Or just a vibe? I admit I was fighting off the sandman a bit throughout the episode so I feel like I may have missed something. I don't particularly like or dislike them what I can recall.

For me it was a general "creep" factor. Can't really give a better answer than that.

Kenny1113
09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Haha! Yes I got the creepy vibe from them too!

Melanie
09-29-2014, 11:48 AM

Extremely arrogant, and I'm being petty, but the deep fake tans and neon bright smiles really turn me off.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-29-2014, 11:51 AM
For me it was a general "creep" factor. Can't really give a better answer than that.

The combination of the perfect teeth, bad spray on tan, perfect build and abundance of arrogance/confidence puts them pretty much right into the annoying category. Whether they stay there or not, remains to be seen.

missymouseworld
09-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Good season premiere.... and so happy it is moved to Friday night. No more delayed episodes due to Football games on Sunday.

So far so good...I think the team that should have gone home did.

I do like the Soul Surfer Team; Bethany was just amazing when she was climbing the rocks to jump into the ocean and her husband seems to really adore her.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
09-29-2014, 12:03 PM
The "Save".

I'm curious to see if we'll get any more details on how it can be used. The only thing we know right now is that it turned over to Phil by the team holding it if they finish last and they are saved from elimination. And that it can be used through the 9th leg.

Other than that though:
-Can it be given to another team?

-What if a the dentists finish last on a regularly scheduled non-elim leg? Would they still have to use it.

-I noticed that Phil didn't say his normal speech about "along the way you will encounter 11 check points , 8 of which will be elimination points." Makes me think that the Save will make eliminations possibly optional. Meaning if its never used, I assume they would have the usual 3 schedule non-elims, but if it is used then would they drop one of them to keep the race the same number of legs?

-If it does get used, does that leg just become a non-elimination leg, or will something else happen?

All in all I was fairly pleased with the first episode. The casting seemed to be a bit on the "beauty" side, but other than that not bad.

In the opening scene, I think that was Frank from Season 1 (runner up with Margarita) that teams were running to to get the Flushing Meadows clue. I thought the flashback to season 1 opener was great. Quite the difference in team appearances from season 1 to 25.

Melanie
09-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Frank and Margarita were season 1?!?!? Wow.

Oh yeah, and the favorite name I've seen for the dentists is #TeamTeeth. :D

MNNHFLTX
09-29-2014, 01:30 PM
The combination of the perfect teeth, bad spray on tan, perfect build and abundance of arrogance/confidence puts them pretty much right into the annoying category.Oh yeah, it is all that. But then again, I think I was biased about them before the race even began and they just lived up to it, lol. Really, he is a scary/creepy dude.

Have to admit that I'm glad the blondes are out early--they were totally clueless. I don't understand why TAR seems to think that they have to have a Barbie team in every race. Tradition?? :confused:

PirateLover
10-05-2014, 11:47 PM
Ok, after this week's episode I'm definitely on board the dentist hater train ;) They certainly come off as quite an arrogant duo.
Not too much to say about this episode for me, otherwise. I would've laughed in the guard's face out of sheer nervousness in the about face task.

Still don't have a favorite. Adam and Bethany are nice-maybe a bit too awww shucks mushy gushy for me- but I have to respect how she is kicking booty with one arm.

Ian
10-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry but that dentist dude is just flat out creepy looking. I can't fathom who would go to that guy for their dental work. I'd be afraid he'd gas me and I'd wind up chained in his basement dungeon or something. He has the eyes of a serial killer.

TheDuckRocks
10-06-2014, 10:22 AM
I'm sorry but that dentist dude is just flat out creepy looking. I can't fathom who would go to that guy for their dental work. I'd be afraid he'd gas me and I'd wind up chained in his basement dungeon or something. He has the eyes of a serial killer.

That nails it exactly!

PirateLover
10-06-2014, 02:22 PM

I'm glad someone else said it! I was starting to say something along those lines but then I thought I was being mean. His eyes are really really really creepy. :blush:

MNNHFLTX
10-06-2014, 02:26 PM
So, is anyone else doing what we are here--recording TAR on Friday but watching it on Sunday, just like we used to? It just doesn't feel right watching the show on any other night but Sunday!

I just have to say, right off the bat, that Nici's "moment" in the punt was, hmm--surprising? Not so much that she did it, but that they actually filmed it. Wow. Although I guess it shouldn't have surprised me given that they showed Flight Time's similar incident some years back.

It was a fun episode to watch, as we have been to many of the sites featured, including Christ Church College in Oxford and Blenheim Palace too. I was surprised how many teams chose to do the "changing of the guard" detour in London; I think flipping pancakes definitely sounded less daunting.

I know it's only the second leg, but there's been very little bickering between team members (yet). And based on what they said before the race, I expected Robbie and Brooke to be louder and more abrasive than they've been.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-06-2014, 04:04 PM
So, is anyone else doing what we are here--recording TAR on Friday but watching it on Sunday, just like we used to?

That's us. Friday night is usually our family night. Kids don't have school the next day, we pop a bowl of popcorn and let the kids pick out a movie or one that we've recorded in advance. So far we've ended up watching the first two episodes on Sunday night.

Even when it was on Sunday's we still did the dvr and watched it later that evening.

Ian
10-06-2014, 05:04 PM
I was pretty surprised at the number of people who chose the guard challenge, as well. I would have gone with the pancake flipping, I think.

tinkwest
10-06-2014, 05:55 PM
I just have to say, right off the bat, that Nici's "moment" in the punt was, hmm--surprising? Not so much that she did it, but that they actually filmed it. Wow.

I was expecting her to jump in the water and make the moment more "private", not hang over the side as she did. She was certainly drawing attention to herself in that position.

TheDuckRocks
10-07-2014, 09:56 AM
I was expecting her to jump in the water and make the moment more "private", not hang over the side as she did. She was certainly drawing attention to herself in that position.

I was thinking that if it were me I would have had a slight accident and fallen in the water and never have mentioned the fact that I was in great need of a potty stop.

2Epcot
10-10-2014, 10:16 PM
So, is anyone else doing what we are here--recording TAR on Friday but watching it on Sunday, just like we used to? It just doesn't feel right watching the show on any other night but Sunday!

I didn't even realize it had changed to Sunday. My DVR finds the show whenever its on, and I watch whenever I can.

Seems like a lot of Super Fans racing this year. I'm used to a lot of Super Fans on Big Brother. Not sure how much advantage they get on Amazing Race, since it's all about how well they execute the challenges without mistakes.

PirateLover
10-14-2014, 11:28 PM
The sheep herding challenge was probably my favorite challenge in recent memory. I was cracking up when Tim and Te Jay started baaahing like the sheep.

TheDuckRocks
10-15-2014, 09:57 AM
The sheep herding challenge was probably my favorite challenge in recent memory. I was cracking up when Tim and Te Jay started baaahing like the sheep.

No, better than that was when their clothes line didn't work. :D

Kenny1113
10-15-2014, 04:00 PM

Yes! DS10 loved the sheep. The boys and I were creaking up at how they jumped and the teams trying to heard them.

PirateLover
10-18-2014, 07:50 AM
So the Dentists avoid elimination AND get to hang on to the save? Boooo. I think part of the save should be that if you use it prematurely you lose it. Makes it a little more interesting. Loved the dogs with Phil at the check in mat.

TheDuckRocks
10-18-2014, 11:36 AM
So the Dentists avoid elimination AND get to hang on to the save? Boooo. I think part of the save should be that if you use it prematurely you lose it. Makes it a little more interesting. Loved the dogs with Phil at the check in mat.

I agree completely Marianne. I loved the doggies.

Carol
10-18-2014, 01:34 PM
I agree. It would be like getting your idol back on Survivor if you didnt get the votes. If you use it - done!

MNNHFLTX
10-20-2014, 12:21 AM
So the Dentists avoid elimination AND get to hang on to the save? Boooo. I think part of the save should be that if you use it prematurely you lose it. Makes it a little more interesting.

Totally agree, Maryanne. There was no risk in using the save if they were allowed to keep It because of a non-elimination leg.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-24-2014, 02:26 PM
First thing, the Save is only to be used when a team faces elimination. As has been the case on many of the last several seasons, leg #4 was non-elimination. The dentists were never eliminated and then forced to produce the save. What should have happened would have been for Phil to do his usual "I'm sorry to tell you, you are the last team to arrive....pause........however, this is a non-elimination leg and you are still in the Race." There would have been no need for the Dentists to produce the save. It wasn't an elimination leg, hence no need for them to use it or for Phil to keep it. Honestly, it felt like they may have prompted Jim to hand over the Save for effect when the reached the mat. I mean, they barely had their feet on the mat, and they were handing it over.

Second, TAR isn't Survivor, so to compare the Save to Hidden Immunity Idol doesn't make sense. In Survivor the rules are quite specific, and declared up front, you must play the idol after the votes are cast and prior to them being read. Those are established rules. We don't know exactly what the rules are for the Save, but its apparent that you only need it if eliminated. If Phil had said "you are the last team to arrive, I'm sorry to say, you have been eliminated from the Race" that's when they pull out the Save. There is no reason to pull it out until Phil says those words "you have been eliminated". Again, that's why I think there might have been some prompting going on for dramatic effect.

Regardless, the Save was handled properly as it wasn't an elimination leg.

I would assume one team would try to u-turn them next week to try and get them to burn it.

I did notice that Phil made no mention of a Speed Bump for the next leg. Usually his non-elimination speech has something like "you know of course, that at some point on the next leg you will have to perform a task that no other team has to". If he did say it, it was edited out.

Tonights episode looks to be pretty good.

PirateLover
10-24-2014, 10:44 PM
I understand the rules. I'm just saying it would be more interesting if the team had to weigh the odds and decide whether to risk it being a non-elimination leg and burning the save ar hanging on to it. I'm not a fan of the save to begin with so I'm just throwing out an idea that in my opinion would make for better TV.

Kenny1113
10-27-2014, 07:43 PM

DH gave me a hard time about calling the dentist creepy. I got to throw the "I'm right" card when I saw Joel called him creepy on the soup last week. :)

The Hitchhiking Ghost
10-28-2014, 10:59 AM
I thought this last episode was really another good one.

Two things that they are doing this season that I really like are:

-Phil injecting himself "live" into the Race
-More add'l tasks (like the vendor cart set-up)

As if we really needed any more proof, the Mother/Daughter team is not the brightest bulb on the tree. A complete waste of their one and only u-turn, simply to spite another team. Especially on the first u-turn of the Race, most teams not in danger of elimination will choose not to use it, basically understanding that its more important to save their one use for the time they may actually need it. So it was no surprise to see the first 3 teams choose to not use it. But for Shelley and Nici to use it, when not one but two teams were still attempting to complete their same detour, was idiotic. They didn't do it eliminate a strong team (Keith & Whitney have already quit on roadblock, and have basically finished at the back of the pack on all but one leg) and they didn't do it to protect themselves from elimination. They did it simply out of spite, and the best thing is, it didn't matter. By the time K&W switched detour tasks, completed the one and then went to the u-turn, all the teams had already checked in. So u-turning them was a complete and utter waste of their one and only u-turn opportunity.

Those two clowns can't be eliminated soon enough for me.

The Cyclists are the only ones I find myself cheering for at this point. Teejay/Tim and the Scientists are just kind of blah, whatever, and the Soul Surfers are nice and all, but just seem like "Kris & Jon lite". The wrestlers are kind of a guilty pleasure, and surprisingly despite the stupid comments, they have actually been quite entertaining. Jim and Misty, I can get over the uber competitiveness, but they (Misty in particular) are consistently missing clues and making mistakes where they shouldn't, and eventually that has to come back and bite them. As for mom-daughter, hopefully next to go.

MNNHFLTX
10-29-2014, 06:43 PM
I understand the rules. I'm just saying it would be more interesting if the team had to weigh the odds and decide whether to risk it being a non-elimination leg and burning the save ar hanging on to it. I'm not a fan of the save to begin with so I'm just throwing out an idea that in my opinion would make for better TV.Still in 100% agreement of this.

PirateLover
11-30-2014, 10:01 AM
Wow it's been a month since anyone posted in this thread! I have to say I like some of the challenges this season but I guess I'm just not latching onto a specific team to root for, so it makes it a little less fun.
This weeks episode was interesting. I really don't understand the cyclists' logic in going for the Fast Forward. They were at the head of the pack, and have been on quite a roll. I would've just kept moving through the leg, knowing that you had a team of SURFERS behind you that would likely attempt the Fast Forward!!

The wrestlers really come off as dopes.

Also the rule change was interesting-once you book a flight you cannot change it. I wonder why they instituted this?

MNNHFLTX
11-30-2014, 12:21 PM
The wrestlers really come off as dopes.
I never thought that I would say this, but I would rather the wrestlers go first before the dentists at this point. Over the course of the race they have continued to wear on me--Brooke's constant "I can't do this!" and the snide remarks about other teams (Brooke mocking Amy's gait related to her ankle injury stands out). That, combined with the fact that they have not impressed me at all with their racing skills, including this past leg, where they were rude and clueless about strategy. At least the dentists run a fairly good race.

PirateLover
11-30-2014, 03:10 PM
I never thought that I would say this, but I would rather the wrestlers go first before the dentists at this point. Over the course of the race they have continued to wear on me--Brooke's constant "I can't do this!" and the snide remarks about other teams (Brooke mocking Amy's gait related to her ankle injury stands out). That, combined with the fact that they have not impressed me at all with their racing skills, including this past leg, where they were rude and clueless about strategy. At least the dentists run a fairly good race.

Totally agree. Jim still creeps me out sometimes but I don't dislike the dentists as much as I did at first. Brooke is always complaining about something- not being able to find a cab, not being able to find a clue. And I really don't understand why they didn't u-turn the cyclists and threw candy girls off the scent of the final clue on purpose. The cyclists were a strong team-wouldn't you want to ensure that they would be eliminated?

Kenny1113
12-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I was dissappointed to see the cyclists go. They weren't my favs but I would have like to see the wrestlers or dentists go before them. I felt bad for them on camera with their make up smeared all over their face during the wave practice and watching the surfers, realizing they were done. :(

I agree the dentists still creep me out but I can appreciate them as good racers

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-02-2014, 02:06 PM
My choice for final 3 was the Cyclists, Surfers and Dentists, which I think would have been far and away the strongest F3 in a long time, and I would have been fine with any of them winning.

The Cyclists made a big mistake letting the Candy girls know which flight they were on. They may still have figured it out, and I understand wanting to keep a weak team with you, but with the u-turn, and the fact that the wrestlers tagged along, it put 3 teams ahead and not just the one or two. Had it been just the two teams, even had the candy girls u-turned them, the cyclists could have u-turned a team behind them. I think they were worried that if they didn't finish first out of the detour, they might get ganged up on (like Abbie/Ryan) and be forced to be the only team to do the u-turn. The problem with the detour, the massage side of it was basically timed, whatever order you went in, that's the order you left it, so if Kym/Alli got there 3rd, they'd leave 3rd. I think the thought of the u-turn spooked them into the bad decision of going for the FF, but I'd contend the first bad decision was sharing the flight info.

The wrestlers, not sure there are any words to adequately describe what a pair of morons these two are. I confess in the early goings, I kind of liked them, but by about the 4th leg, Brooke's incessant whining and the whole grunting schtick just really wore off fast. They spent two legs convincing other teams to u-turn the cyclists, then when they have the clear opportunity they don't? Idiots. I thought Robbie's head was going to explode when one of the scientists tried to explain how stupid their decision was. Then they thought they were so smart by lying to the candy girls. Again, idiots, you are trying to keep a stronger team in the Race? These two may top Dan and Andrew as TAR's dumbest couple.

I have to also confess that the "Bethany is a God" edit is also getting a bit tiresome. Yes she is overcoming a lot, yada yada yada, we get it already, especially after 9 legs. They show the dentists, and they put that little glint on their teeth, surprised they don't put halos and angel wings on Adam and Bethany. Wasn't crazy either that the FF (granted I assume this was set up before the season started) fit so well into one team's wheelhouse.

At this point I guess I'm cheering for either Dentists or Surfers to win, both have run for the most part solid, non-bickering races and would be good winners.

I did like the rule change about not being able to switch tickets. Should have been done years ago. I don't think it was set up to save production money, but instead is a hedge against team working together. This was if a team (like Dentists) just take another teams flight, they are penalized if a better flight is revealed, they just can't buy new tickets. Its a good addition to the Race.

Overall I'm liking the season, more so for the locations (A+) and since the last all-star was a let down, this seems much better in comparison. Challenges are hit and miss, but I love that they are throwing in add'l tasks almost each leg (that are not detours/roadblocks) and I love that Phil is getting "in game" camera face time, love it.

Next week is most likely non-elim. Since the dentists didn't need to use the Save, they have two legs (10 & 11) to eliminate one team, so one of the next two should be non-elim, most likely 10.

Finale is 12/19 (3 episodes left).

PirateLover
12-06-2014, 03:38 PM
HHG I agree about the locations being great this season. Even though we knew last night would likely be a non-elim, it was still frustrating to see Brooke and Robbie get saved. Brooke was really over the top with her "Ewww it stinks" comments. Very annoying.
Angry eyes Jim came out again during that detour. :thedolls:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-08-2014, 11:17 AM
HHG I agree about the locations being great this season. Even though we knew last night would likely be a non-elim, it was still frustrating to see Brooke and Robbie get saved. Brooke was really over the top with her "Ewww it stinks" comments. Very annoying.
Angry eyes Jim came out again during that detour. :thedolls:

I think had the Dentists used the save, then this leg would have been elimination and the switchback, which was basically just a task, would have reverted to a roadblock, which they didn't have last night. It looked evident just watching as the four teams checked in that they all thought it was non-elim, which with a needle in the haystack kind of challenge, I don't mind so much.

Wrestlers need to go though, they aren't nearly as funny as they think they are, and every time I think they've hit rock bottom on the stupidity/annoyance level, they seem to find a way to dig just a little deeper.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
12-24-2014, 10:18 AM
No comments about the finale yet.

I have to say, I'm really disappointed in the 11th leg twist. I know a lot of people will by happy with Amy and Maya's win, but I can't, for me, it was totally tainted. Yes if you win the final leg, you deserve it, I know, but in my mind it comes with a huge asterisk.

I still don't get it. In 24 seasons of the TAR they have NEVER not eliminated a team (when there has been 4 teams) in the penultimate leg. There is only one time this entire race that I agreed with Brooke, and that's when she said "we ran this leg (11th) for nothing". A very true statement. They've never had a continuation leg at the 11th leg, so not only didn't the scientists not get eliminated as they should have, they also avoided any kind of speedbump penalty. They received the biggest gift in TAR history.

For the record, I would have felt this way regardless of which team finished 4th (even the Cyclists) and got saved. To make matters worse, the final leg was a terrible set up. Yes, the finale challenge was great, maybe a bit boring to watch, but difficulty level, equalizer level, great challenge. But I'm talking about simply, leave airport, drive to city hall, drive to studio lot, eliminate last team to arrive? Really, elimination based soley on self navigation for a small part of the beginning of the leg? Terrible idea. The idea of a team (even one I don't like) finishing 1st in the penultimate leg and not being able to race to the final mat is just wrong. If they were going to do something historic they should have let all 4 teams race to the final mat (not that the outcome would have changed), that would have at least been fair. How they eliminated the 4th team was, imho, extremely lame in design. If each team navigated properly, there was really no way to pass another team.

Anyhow, it was a season of great locations, I think most people agree on that. Casting was ok and the season as a whole was probably average, certainly not bad.

The upcoming blind date season, where 5 of 11 teams have never met. Not liking that. Putting Mark and Mallory together was a disaster, not sure why they are abandoning their core concept of "11 teams with a preexisting relationship will Race around the world". I can only think that its a ratings ploy, hoping that more than 1 of these 5 teams will severely implode. I guess we'll find out in February.

Melanie
12-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Yep. I'm with you THG. Didn't like the 'non-elimination' and didn't like Amy and Maya winning. Very disappointing, although I was 'scolded' on another board for having this view and apparently not realizing that there are no 'regular' seasons of TAR. UGH.

And yeah, not too thrilled on the blind date aspect of next season. To me, TAR is so much about the relationships. The pairing of Mark and Mallory was a huge fail, but I have a feeling this is where the idea took flight. I am looking forward to seeing Jon from NKOTB though. He was my favorite New Kid. :D

TheDuckRocks
12-25-2014, 11:05 PM
I also feel that the 4th team going through was not quite right. Overall I'm always disappointed when a team wins and they have not run the best race and this team wasn't even close to either of the other 2 teams remaining. When I saw what the final challenge was I knew the girls would win as they deal with remembering numbers daily in their work.
I think AR might not make it for me for a whole season with the new twist.