PDA

View Full Version : my parking lot tram pet peeve

Pat Ryan
08-29-2014, 12:10 PM
Just got back and found this happening over and over again...

1) call for no more boarding
2) play the 45 second long disclaimer/warning
3) someone boards while it's being played
4) go back up to #1 above and repeat

I'm sure some Disney attorney said that the tram can't move until you're sure that everyone had a chance to hear the warning to "keep your arms and legs inside" in both English and Spanish and then what to do if you drop an item.

A few times I felt we would never leave, had to hear it 3x on a few occasions.

Main Street Jim
08-29-2014, 04:53 PM

2) play the 45 second long disclaimer/warning

I'm sure some Disney attorney said that the tram can't move until you're sure that everyone had a chance to hear the warning to "keep your arms and legs inside" in both English and Spanish and then what to do if you drop an item.

A few times I felt we would never leave, had to hear it 3x on a few occasions.Well, maybe not an attorney, but, the Safety "team". EVERY attraction/transportation with moving ride vehicles has some sort of safety spiel.

And it's "not until everyone has a chance to hear the warning", but, until everyone is safely seated and inside. It's the same way with attractions like the Walt Disney World Railroad; the conductor can't clear the train for movement until he/she's absolutely certain that all guests are seated and safely inside the train.

Pat Ryan
08-29-2014, 09:46 PM
It was just that they had to keep restarting the safety pitch... often twice and sometimes 3x.

Main Street Jim
08-29-2014, 11:23 PM
It was just that they had to keep restarting the safety pitch... often twice and sometimes 3x....because the tram can't move until all guests are seated safely. You have to keep in mind that a lot of WDW guests don't speak English as a first or even a second language, let alone Spanish. The Cast cannot take a chance on moving the vehicle until it's safe to do so.

ransam
08-30-2014, 03:20 AM
It makes sense. Disney doesn't want anyone to get hurt, number one it's bad publicity, and two, opens them up for law suits.

Pat Ryan
08-30-2014, 09:02 AM
For those that work there, I'm sure there are countless stories of people doing stupid stuff (like jumping from a moving tram)...

It's a false choice though (like removing our shoes at the airport due to 1 failed "shoe bomber". Every single person hearing the warning from beginning to end probably doesn't have much of an effect on whether someone would get hurt or not (only a further defense in a case of negligence if someone did something stupid and got hurt). How many people aren't paying attention as well? They could play it in the Ferry/monorail for those exiting if they wanted more coverage. Even playing it on the ride would probably keep them covered (it does take 45 seconds and the pitch is really in 3 parts so they are pretty covered in the first 15 seconds)

If they really thought it was a huge liability they'd have it in more languages... plus, how would you put your feet outside the tram now with the doors on them?

There were a few occasions where there was a tram waiting that couldn't pull in because the previous one couldn't leave.

The real issue is (and through no fault of the staff members) people boarding after the "no further boarding". It's obviously a common problem since many of the tram conductors referenced on mic how people were still boarding even though there was "no further boarding" and he was announcing it (in a funny way).

The solution would be for a cast member to to enforce the no further boarding from partway down the tram (vs. being all the way at the back in preparation for departure). I know in the old days there was a cast member in the queues supervising the loading.

DizneyRox
08-30-2014, 09:32 AM

2) ???

A few times I felt we would never leave, had to hear it 3x on a few occasions.
The problem is #3. I've heard tram drivers kick people off the team that boarded after the final boarding call and not move the tram until they got off. Sadly something tells me they didn't last long, it's a shame, most people won't listen unless they are made an example of.

I stopped taking the tram as they aren't that convenient. It's usually faster to walk anyway. Then I stopped taking a car altogether...

Pat Ryan
08-30-2014, 12:59 PM
I just wanted to say... we are huge Disney fans and loved the trip. Got some great cast members on day (HM especially, one of the girls was staring me down pretty good and didn't break character at all).

The tram thing only bothered me once because they had to repeat it 3x (I didn't think we'd ever leave because of the steady stream of people walking up) and it would have been faster to walk (although it was 98 degrees out and my wife/kids wouldn't have enjoyed it). The other times I was just mildly amused by it.

texas211
09-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Well, big part of it is that people have become a bigger pain over the years. Must feel they can hold everyone else up, take up all the space, etc...

It's the same folks who don't turn off their phones, talk when they arent suppose to, bring stuff they aren't, etc..

tiggerbuddy
09-11-2014, 06:14 AM
Very well said..Just lack of common courtesy...

Well, big part of it is that people have become a bigger pain over the years. Must feel they can hold everyone else up, take up all the space, etc...

It's the same folks who don't turn off their phones, talk when they arent suppose to, bring stuff they aren't, etc..

Melanie
09-11-2014, 11:10 AM
This is absolutely annoying and you have a right to be annoyed...period. And a CM should have the right to call for no more boarding and be able to enforce that, without consequences from guests or their supervisors. Amazing how soft we've become.