PDA

View Full Version : August 2014 Dining Review - Pt. 2

Mickey'sGirl
08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
There are four of us; me, my DH, our DS16 and our DS10.
We used our Tables in Wonderland Card, which continues to be the best deal for our eating habits.

Via Napoli - Dinner
We ate at Tutto Italia in December and really enjoyed it. We decided to give Via Napoli a try since it gets such rave reviews here on INTERCOT.
Food: 4 out of 5
Harry and I shared a pizza, Brian had the Veal and Euan had spaghetti and meatballs. We shared some arancini to start. The arancini were very very good, as was Euan’s spaghetti and meatballs (especially the meatballs … they were fantastico!) Brian’s veal was fine, but a little dry. Harry and I liked our pizza well enough and the sauce was very very good, but we both thought it did not live up to the hype.
Atmosphere: 1 out of 5
I have been all over Italy, on several different vacations, and I never, ever sat in such an acoustically accosting venue, nor was there anything outstanding or particularly authentic about the look or feel of the place. Both of my sons became overwhelmed by the din from the tables around us (both boys are autistic and sensitive to sound), and I was not able to hear my tablemates when they spoke (I have hearing issues when there is extreme ambient noise).
Service: 3 out of 5
Our server was fine, but she was far more concerned with the tables around us who were ordering liquor in addition to their food. We had to flag down another server to get some water.
Overall: 2 out of 5
Honestly, we were not impressed. Not by the food and not by the restaurant itself. The fact that my kids, especially my older son, became so overwhelmed probably didn’t help my opinion any. We will not return.

San Angel Inn – Lunchtime
We had planned a dinner at San Angel Inn, but cancelled it earlier in the week. We decided on an ad-hoc lunch after doing an Agent P adventure in Mexico.
The boys both had Steak Tacos and Brian and I had Chicken Enchiladas. It was very good food, especially the black beans. Euan was hesitant to try anything new, but was very happy to learn that Steak and cheese in tortillas is a good thing. So much so that he requested them at home the day after we arrived! Servings were a good size.
Atmosphere: 3 out of 5
The setting of the restaurant is BEAUTIFUL. Unfortunately, they have rejigged the seating since we ate there last (about a decade ago), and the small tables are placed almost one on top of the other. I do not like being squished into a table.
Service: 3 out of 5
Again, the service was fine but not noteworthy.
Overall: 3 out of 5
The food was good, but we are not in a rush to go back.

Sci-Fi Dine In Theater - Lunchtime
The Sci-Fi was another unplanned meal, which we booked on the fly while standing in line at The Great Movie Ride.
The key to the food at the Sci-Fi is to get food that you would get at a Drive In. We all shared some onion rings to start (great big well fried onion rings with horseradish dipping sauce), then the boys had burgers and vanilla cokes. Brian had the Turkey sandwich and I had the Salmon BLT. My salmon was a bit overcooked, but it was still very tasty. The boys finished their meals with some chocolate sundaes (hold the cherries, which our server did not forget to do.). Brian and I drank gallons of iced tea.
Atmosphere: 5 out of 5
Nothing compares with the kitschy fabulousness that is the Sci-Fi Drive-In. We were seated in a great little blue four-seater (Euan was driving), and we saw the whole movie reel.
Service: 5 out of 5
We have always had great service at the Sci-Fi. Our server kept the cold drinks flowing (it was unbearably hot outside on this day) and made sure that the boys’ chocolate sundaes were cherry-less. He was friendly and efficient and our food was hot.
Overall: 5 out of 5
I know the food is much maligned at the Sci-Fi, but if you order what they are good at, it is very good. It was such a welcome oasis on the day we were there … we were hungry and hot, and it was just fabulous.

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks for sharing I've got a craving for a burger and shake now:)

stephicakes
08-29-2014, 12:19 PM
I agree with you about the noise level in Via Napoli, Jennifer! It seems very loud and busy in there and hard to hear each other. The food was really good, but the staff was less attentive than we would have liked.

Thanks for your reviews! :D

NJGIRL
08-30-2014, 12:10 AM
Totally agree with you about the atmosphere of Via Napoli. It is very bland and nothing like restaurants in Italy. We have not tried the pizza there but the other dishes we have ordered have been very good.

And yes, I too think the tables in San Angels are way too close and crowded to really enjoy your meal.

Sci Fi is a must do every trip. We always enjoy their food and I don't think I have ever been in a better themed restaurant anywhere.

hauntedmansiongirl
08-30-2014, 01:05 PM
Wag had forgotten about Sci-Fi until 2 trips ago when we rediscovered this gem! Oh my goodness... The Oreo shakes are unbelievable! My DH was trying to be healthier and ordered some kind of wrap. It was terrible! He ate most of my burger and fries! Never again- I agree on your tip of diner food only!:mickey:

TheVBs
09-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Good to know about Via Napoli. We've been half interested in trying it, but will probably bump it further down the list.

We've eaten at Sci Fi twice and both times I have made the mistake of not choosing what they seem to do well off the menu. We love the atmosphere, especially DH. I know he'd like to go back.