PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Fast Pass+ ?

Lodger
08-20-2014, 08:57 AM
I do not like this new Fast Pass system. I'm trying to set up passes for an upcoming trip and all the times seem so inconvenient, but worst is the addition of Fast Passes we don't want. In Animal Kingdom we only want Fast Passes for Expedition Everest and Dinosaur. The new system automatically includes the Kilimanjaro Rapids or PrimaWhirl, two rides we'll never go on again. Is there some way to delete the third option so it is not wasted? And if so, would that third Fast Pass be able to be used in another park? Thank You.

1DisneyNut
08-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Unless something has changed very recently, you are stuck with the third non-desirable FP+. Furthermore, you have to use it before you would be eligible to get a fourth. You could change it once you are there to something you could use to get rid of it.

I don't like the FP+ system either. It is sort of irritating to be locked into a time months in advance when you have no idea what the crowd levels or weather will be but for now we are stuck with it. Unfortunately, you almost have to use it because it has resulted in long standby waits earlier in the day and also longer waits for rides that typically didn't even require a fastpass in the past.

Fangorn
08-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Is there some way to delete the third option so it is not wasted? And if so, would that third Fast Pass be able to be used in another park? Thank You.

Simple answer: No and No

The system (for now, at least) requires that you have 3 FP+ initially. While it does initially seem to give you only 4 sets of choices, once you've picked one of those sets, you can change the times of any or all of the FP+ individually in separate transactions. Pretty sure the system is selecting things that help to even out the crowds, not for your convenience.

All three FP+s must be in the same park. So no, you can't use the third one at a different park. You can get a 4th FP+ in a different park, but ONLY after you have USED all of your previous three. Just letting them expire doesn't allow you to get a 4th one. That 4th one can only be reserved via a kiosk in the park of the ride you want, and only on that particular day.

Steve

joonyer
08-20-2014, 12:49 PM
I thought you could try for a 4th FP after the time for your 3rd had expired, and that you didn't necessarily have to have actually used the 3rd FP. I know I've seen comments to that effect online, am I wrong?

merciantinkerbell
08-20-2014, 02:43 PM
I made my Fastpasses today and just went back in after I made them and cancelled what I didn't want. For example for one of our Epcot days it gave us Soarin which we did want with Turtle Talk and Mission Space which we didn't. I cancelled the latter two so now my plans only show Soarin that day.

1DisneyNut
08-20-2014, 04:45 PM
I thought you could try for a 4th FP after the time for your 3rd had expired, and that you didn't necessarily have to have actually used the 3rd FP. I know I've seen comments to that effect online, am I wrong?

I believe that is correct. I forgot you could just allow the time to lapse. Either way though, you are stuck until that final FP+ time elapses whether you use it or not.

DizneyRox
08-21-2014, 07:39 AM
You are right, you just need to wait until after your third lapses. Meaning after the end of the window of the third.

In this case, I'd get a FP for something early in the AM at AK, and the third would be as early as you care to ride that third attraction, then you can jet to the new park and see if there's anything left for rides you want to ride.

Melanie
08-21-2014, 08:01 AM
I believe that is correct. I forgot you could just allow the time to lapse. Either way though, you are stuck until that final FP+ time elapses whether you use it or not.

There is so much confusion with this. Have you personally done this? Early on, you had to actually USE all of your FP in order to get the fourth (and so on), so I'm unsure if this has changed. Just hoping for someone with personal experience on this.

FutureCorpsFan
08-21-2014, 08:36 AM
There is so much confusion with this. Have you personally done this? Early on, you had to actually USE all of your FP in order to get the fourth (and so on), so I'm unsure if this has changed. Just hoping for someone with personal experience on this.

I would hope that to be the case. If not, it would render the park hopper option useless. If you can’t expire unused FPs and hop to another park and schedule for a FP there, then there’s really no need to pay the option any more. I’ll be able to check it out on my next trip in a few weeks. My FP options were terrible based on the dining schedule. The website is good enough to tell you that you have a conflict but it’s not smart enough to offer options around that. None of the other “offered” FP options were viable due to our reservation schedule.

1DisneyNut
08-21-2014, 12:33 PM

I do not have personal experience with that situation. I have just read it in multiple threads. Surely there is someone that will pop in that has been through it lately.

VWL Mom
08-21-2014, 02:49 PM
The website is good enough to tell you that you have a conflict but it’s not smart enough to offer options around that. None of the other “offered” FP options were viable due to our reservation schedule.

Have you tried going in and manually adjusting the times? I've been able to pretty much move things around and get the schedule I want.

Lodger
08-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies, even though I don't like the answer. At this point in time I think this new Fast Pass is a failure, if it is causing me so much irritation weeks before my trip...I suppose to be on the safe side and not lose a fourth Fast Pass, I'll scan my Magic Band at the third ride, but not actually get on it. All rides have chicken doors don't they?

yankeesfan123
08-21-2014, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the replies, even though I don't like the answer. At this point in time I think this new Fast Pass is a failure, if it is causing me so much irritation weeks before my trip...I suppose to be on the safe side and not lose a fourth Fast Pass, I'll scan my Magic Band at the third ride, but not actually get on it. All rides have chicken doors don't they?

You're right. It's a complete failure if it's irritating you.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-21-2014, 10:50 PM

How about just scanning (if you must) and then just NOT going into the line? Move on with your day . . .:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
08-22-2014, 06:48 AM
How about just scanning (if you must) and then just NOT going into the line? Move on with your day . . .:thumbsup:

There are two scans, one to get into the line, the other before boarding. It's one used after the second one.

It doesn't matter, as stated, you don't need to use them, you just need to wait until they expire.

Melanie
08-22-2014, 07:52 AM
It doesn't matter, as stated, you don't need to use them, you just need to wait until they expire.

You've done this? I'm just trying to get a definite answer. This is really confusing!

DizneyRox
08-22-2014, 08:31 AM
There are two scans, one to get into the line, the other before boarding. It's one used after the second one.

Man spell check is killing me lately. There are two scans, one to get into line, the other before boarding. It's not used until after the second one.

There have been no reports of being denied a fouth+ FP (because of this) since the initial rollout that I have seen. I think it was an oversight on Disney's part. There are too many what ifs that would cause lines at guest relations. What if my son decided he didn't want to ride last minute, what if my daughter had to go back to the hotel, what if the bus got in an accident on the way to the park, what if the monorail broke down...

It would be a nightmare.

Have you been denied a fouth FP without actually using your previous three?

Melanie
08-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Have you been denied a fouth FP without actually using your previous three?

I have not tried, but there have indeed been reports on here that it has happened. But that was very early on when they first introduced getting FP beyond the initial three. That's why I'm trying to clarify.

Fangorn
08-22-2014, 09:38 AM
I'll be there in 39 days.

I'll conduct a test during that trip.

Hopefully, we'll have some first-hand experience to go on before that.

I agree on the one hand that having to actually use the third one to get a forth could cause a line at Guest Relations, but on the other hand, I'm pretty sure (based on comments from TDO and the way MDE works) that the primary purpose of the whole system is for Disney's benefit not the guests'. With this system, Disney is able to better control the flow of guests in the parks. If they can "encourage" you into riding at least 3 things (whether you want to or not) in DHS before you hop to MK, it helps them control the overall flow.

But I will test it out in October.

Steve

DizneyRox
08-22-2014, 11:48 AM
Yes, it's not for the guests, however they also don't want to have to staff guest relations.

Polynesian Dweller
08-22-2014, 01:00 PM
You DO NOT have to use the third FP+ it just has to lapse. If I don't like the FP I just ignore it. By the time I get to the new park it's lapsed any way. No big deal to me.

For us, FP+ is not a failure. It works great. It's like the original FP when it came out in 1999. It changed the way we toured and the first time we tried it it was a mess. But then we learned how to make it work for us and it was great. Eventually everyone knew how to make it work for them and loved it.

Same thing here. First time we used it things didn't work out well. But we learned from it and it works fine and we will get better at it. One can fight change in which case it won't work or learn from it and it will.

Melanie
08-22-2014, 06:22 PM
You DO NOT have to use the third FP+ it just has to lapse. If I don't like the FP I just ignore it. By the time I get to the new park it's lapsed any way. No big deal to me.

For us, FP+ is not a failure. It works great. It's like the original FP when it came out in 1999. It changed the way we toured and the first time we tried it it was a mess. But then we learned how to make it work for us and it was great. Eventually everyone knew how to make it work for them and loved it.

Same thing here. First time we used it things didn't work out well. But we learned from it and it works fine and we will get better at it. One can fight change in which case it won't work or learn from it and it will.

Thanks for the first hand verification.

Regarding it working, IF it worked as it should, all would be well. But you can't fight faulty technology. And if the touring style doesn't suit you, too bad. But no doubt, as we've seen this summer, this new system has made standby lines longer. That didn't happen with FP 1.0.

yankeesfan123
08-22-2014, 08:06 PM
I definitely did not have the "standby lines" longer experience.

I typically go in January. For example, a usual experience would be HM, POC, JC at about 15-20 mins, Space 30-45, Buzz 15-25, TT and Soarin about an hour, Maelstrom 15-20, Nemo, Land, and Figment walk on... You get the idea.

When I went three weeks ago, HM, POC, JC were 20-35, Space was 50, Buzz 30, TT and Soarin 75, Maelstrom 25, Nemo, Land, and Figment still walk ons...

I had never been in August before.

That being said, I would totally expect attractions to have lines 10-20 minutes longer that what I was used to in January, and that is exactly what I encountered.

Melanie
08-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I definitely did not have the "standby lines" longer experience.

I typically go in January. For example, a usual experience would be HM, POC, JC at about 15-20 mins, Space 30-45, Buzz 15-25, TT and Soarin about an hour, Maelstrom 15-20, Nemo, Land, and Figment walk on... You get the idea.

When I went three weeks ago, HM, POC, JC were 20-35, Space was 50, Buzz 30, TT and Soarin 75, Maelstrom 25, Nemo, Land, and Figment still walk ons...

I had never been in August before.

That being said, I would totally expect attractions to have lines 10-20 minutes longer that what I was used to in January, and that is exactly what I encountered.

You've seemed to have had awesome experiences with the new system. Good for you!

yankeesfan123
08-22-2014, 10:14 PM
You've seemed to have had awesome experiences with the new system. Good for you!

Maybe the heat scared some people away?