PDA

View Full Version : Is there a standby policy for BOG

Itchy
08-12-2014, 09:25 PM
Is there any information on the standby policy for BOG. I think I saw something but not sure.

Thanks in advance...:mickey:

DizneyRox
08-13-2014, 12:08 AM
For lunch there is a line.

For dinner, they will most likely tell you there's nothing, however I've heard when there's bad weather, there's often enough people cancelling to have availability

If you need to dine for dinner, the only guarantee is to make a reservation.

Melanie
08-13-2014, 07:54 AM
I saw a tidbit the other day (although not confirmed) that BoG for lunch is going the way of the Anna & Elsa Meet and Soarin' in that they are giving out passes to come back for the standby line, aka "Fastpass for Standby."

It's no secret I don't like the way this is going. :down:

I've never had an issue getting into BoG for lunch going standby. I've eaten there 4 times now, at different times throughout the year, and the most I waited is maybe 20 minutes. Now, I'll have to rush over first thing in the morning and grab a 'pass' if I want to eat there. Isn't that what FP+ was supposed to eliminate? :confused:

Strmchsr
08-13-2014, 07:56 AM
BOG has now gone to a paper "fastpass" for standby. It's first come, first serve. Walk up and you're given a return time to get in the standby line. Once they run out of those spots no more people will be allowed in the standby line. This policy was started in the last couple of weeks.

Melanie
08-13-2014, 08:01 AM
BOG has now gone to a paper "fastpass" for standby. It's first come, first serve. Walk up and you're given a return time to get in the standby line. Once they run out of those spots no more people will be allowed in the standby line. This policy was started in the last couple of weeks.

Awful, awful, awful!

BrerGnat
08-13-2014, 08:09 AM
What is this recent aversion Disney seems to have with people waiting in line?

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-13-2014, 08:59 AM
I wonder why they just don't go to FP+ only (OK, I know why, but this whole "stand-by ticket" thing is just crazy!)

I agree - why is waiting in line all of a sudden against the rules at Disney? At some point, lines are going to happen, and people expect them to happen. Geesh!

Kenny1113
08-13-2014, 10:26 AM

Then they are not spending $$$$ Haha!!!!!

BrerGnat
08-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Then they are not spending $$$$ Haha!!!!!

But at BOG, they are in line TRYING to spend money. I don't get it.

Melanie
08-13-2014, 10:37 AM
I'm getting sick of this whole "we have to get these folks out of line and get them spending money!" trend.

BrerGnat
08-13-2014, 11:15 AM
I'm getting sick of this whole "we have to get these folks out of line and get them spending money!" trend.

I will vomit if Disneyland jumps onto this sinking ship...

mickeys_princess_mom
08-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Just got back from the Magic, and had no trouble at all with our previously booked online (thanks to Intercot!)Fastpasses. Enjoyed a wonderful lunch! I thought it was weird when we saw NO line in Standby, but there was a cast member standing there telling everyone there were no more openings for BOG that day. Heard later in day about the FPs being handed out, and then I understood.......

mickeys_princess_mom
08-13-2014, 01:28 PM

I just got back, and people are definitely still standing in line! Will post more soon, but on Monday, unless you had a FP there were no opportunities by afternoon to ride at MK without standing in ridiculous lines! :( Didn't like. Sooooo I'm not sure how well all this preplanning stuff is working. And we'd used our FPs at Epcot in the morning, but scoring a new one meant--you guessed it--standing in MORE looooong lines, with very few choices!

yankeesfan123
08-13-2014, 02:30 PM
Awful, awful, awful!

This actually makes sense for this type of "attractions".

There are a limited number of seats for lunch. Lunch ends at a certain time.

If lunch ends at 4:00pm, you don't want people getting in line at 2:30 only to be told an hour later they won't get in.

I think this standby plus type thing works well for shows, meet and greets, and restaurants (if necessary) because they have limited capacity.

For an attraction, if someone wants to get in line for Soarin at 8:59 they should be allowed to.

But for a restaurant that is serving lunch only up to a certain time when dinner reservations then begin, it make sense.

Melanie
08-13-2014, 02:49 PM

If lunch ends at 4:00pm, you don't want people getting in line at 2:30 only to be told an hour later they won't get in.

I think this standby plus type thing works well for shows, meet and greets, and restaurants (if necessary) because they have limited capacity.

For an attraction, if someone wants to get in line for Soarin at 8:59 they should be allowed to.

But for a restaurant that is serving lunch only up to a certain time when dinner reservations then begin, it make sense.

Like I've said before, it's not that hard to get into BoG for lunch. Well.....it wasn't. I just don't like the precedent this is setting. If you want to eat somewhere (or whatever the activity may be) that bad, get there early and get it done.

It all boils down to even more micro planning. Some folks like it, some don't. I've resigned myself to the FP+ stuff, as there really is no other choice. But now, if I'm staying offsite with my in-laws at their timeshare, and therefore we're not eligible for FP+ for BoG, we'll have to be up and out the door early to get to MK for the special return pass if we want to eat there. And I sure hope the time they give us to return doesn't interfere with those FP+ times we had to reserve 30 days before. Because then we'll have to take some more of our park time out, pull up the old MDE and make some changes. Hope there is something good still available! :sad:

Kenny1113
08-13-2014, 03:33 PM

I guess the same logic could therefore be applied to Soarin as well...

The ride only holds so many guests if we let too many people get in line at x time, the ride will be open well beyond park close....

yankeesfan123
08-13-2014, 06:25 PM
I guess the same logic could therefore be applied to Soarin as well...

The ride only holds so many guests if we let too many people get in line at x time, the ride will be open well beyond park close....

No. It couldn't be used for Soarin. They keep rides open after park hours to accommodate people standing in line, or they close the line a little before park closing.

They do not continue to seat people for lunch once dinner hours begin because ADRs are taken instead.

All this adds up to is that it is a reservation for lunch that you need to get when you get to the park. That's all.

Melanie
08-13-2014, 07:23 PM
All this adds up to is that it is a reservation for lunch that you need to get when you get to the park. That's all.

And why don't they just go ahead and change the classification to 'table service'? Because that's what it is.

yankeesfan123
08-13-2014, 07:46 PM
And why don't they just go ahead and change the classification to 'table service'? Because that's what it is.

I agree with that sentiment.

Strmchsr
08-13-2014, 08:31 PM
No. It couldn't be used for Soarin. They keep rides open after park hours to accommodate people standing in line, or they close the line a little before park closing.

Actually, there is serious discussion about using this same system for Soarin. Some of my friends in management have said the idea is picking up steam because of the long standby lines that always exist at Soarin, so don't be surprised if you see this same thing in the not too distant future. It's not definite, but it's looking more likely.

Kairi_7378
08-13-2014, 09:35 PM

I think it may have something to do with the fact that there has been so much press about standing in lines, most recently for Anna and Elsa. People are posting pictures online of the loooong wait times. Nothing is going to discourage a potential first-time visitor like seeing a 5-hour wait in line. If Disney reverts to the paper fast pass, the problem is somewhat hidden.

Capt_redshirt
08-13-2014, 10:26 PM
But at BOG, they are in line TRYING to spend money. I don't get it.

I think its more an instant gratification mentality that we as a society have gain. you have no idea how many times i've heard in the park "oh im not gonna ride (insert ride here) the wait is 45 mins i can remember during the infancy of fast pass that lines were just as long and we were fine i can remember before the introduction of an interactive queue and we were fine. personally i go to disney to slow down and enjoy my time. while money might have something to do with it. i think the reality is they dont want to hear i hate it here the lines are too long.

Itchy
08-13-2014, 11:23 PM
This whole question started because my daughter and I were not sure if they had changed the standby rules for dinner at BOG. When we had dinner there this past December we heard others in a standby line that the wait would be an hour or so.

I would not wait an hour just to find out I could not get in. I would go to a good counter service first.

But that is just me. I like the idea of a fast pass for some eateries but not all, and I may be wrong on that thought.

Well either way I will still go to WDW and have a lot of fun...:mickey:

Melanie
08-14-2014, 07:44 AM
This whole question started because my daughter and I were not sure if they had changed the standby rules for dinner at BOG. When we had dinner there this past December we heard others in a standby line that the wait would be an hour or so.

I would not wait an hour just to find out I could not get in. I would go to a good counter service first.

But that is just me. I like the idea of a fast pass for some eateries but not all, and I may be wrong on that thought.

Well either way I will still go to WDW and have a lot of fun...:mickey:

Oh, I apologize! I had no idea you were speaking to dinner standby. I didn't even realize they allowed that. I thought it was always booked via ADRs. :shrug:

Strmchsr
08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Oh, I apologize! I had no idea you were speaking to dinner standby. I didn't even realize they allowed that. I thought it was always booked via ADRs. :shrug:

Dinner standby is pretty rare but it does happen. I've hit one or two nights where they had availability because of cancellations, but most nights walk-ups are told no.