PDA

View Full Version : 1700 Post

ransam
08-11-2014, 05:59 PM
This is my 1700 post, so I wanted to make it a little special.
I have been a Disney fan since I was a little boy and my mom and dad use to take my sister and myself every year and it's become my second home.
I'm soon to be 51, I'm a guy, and some may think it's strange for me to still love Disney so much, but I do. I'm a complete Disney geek and proud of it.

So since it's my 1700 post I wanted to throw out a few questions and I was hoping to get some fun stuff go share.

1. What made you fall in love with Disney?

2. One ride/event in the entire WDW park you would do right now? It could be a ride, show, dining? You can only pick one, not one from each park.

3. Favorite Disney Movie.

4. how many times have you been to Disneyworld, Disneyland?

5. share a funny story that happened to you during a visit.

thanks.

VWL Mom
08-11-2014, 07:59 PM
Congratulations on #1700, here's to 1700 more :marg:
1. What made you fall in love with Disney? See the joy it brought tom my boys

2. One ride/event in the entire WDW park you would do right now? It could be a ride, show, dining? You can only pick one, not one from each park. Small World, it was the last ride my mom ever went on and holds a special place in my heart

3. Favorite Disney Movie. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

4. how many times have you been to Disneyworld, Disneyland? many times to WDW, 3 to DL

Janmac
08-11-2014, 11:59 PM

2. One ride/event in the entire WDW park you would do right now? It could be a ride, show, dining? You can only pick one, not one from each park.

thanks.

1. Well, I grew up with Uncle Walt visiting every Sunday evening when the Wonderful World of Color would come on the tv. We had Disney books, with Disney 45s to play along while we read the books. My first "Disney ride" was at the New York World's Fair and I clearly remember how impressed the adults were. I remember being scared to death at the movie theater when the wicked witch is running through the storm trying to get away from the dwarves. I remember how awful it was when Walt died. Disney has just always been there. Every time we have a magical moment at WDW or I read about a CM going out of their way for someone, it just reaffirms Disney all over again.

2. Probably a fireworks show. My favorite is Hallowishes.

3. ack. As a kid, probably In Search of the Castaways. Now, gosh. That's almost like asking which is your favorite kid . . .

4. WDW - maybe 18? idk. DL - I think 3 or maybe 4 times.

5. Funny story - we were just talking about one of our favorites this weekend. It was January 1998 and we were at the character breakfast at Wilderness Lodge. Governor Ratcliff was not happy with middle grandson's lack of bicep and was making him pretend to dig to build up his muscles. Youngest grandson, six at the time, refused to leave his chair to dig with his brother. So Governor Ratcliff pulled his chair, backwards, around the table and out the door onto the terrace and came back in, locking the door behind him. We were all laughing so hard. Our server came in right then, scolded Governor Ratcliff, unlocked the door and brought our youngest grandson and his chair back inside. He was grinning from ear to ear. Later that night, after spending the morning at MK and the evening at Epcot, we were reliving that breakfast episode. Youngest grandson said, "That was the best ride of the day!"

Thanks! Good way to celebrate your 1700th.
Jan

PETE FROM NYC
08-12-2014, 01:19 AM
I have been a Disney fan since I was a little boy and my mom and dad use to take my sister and myself every year and it's become my second home.
I'm soon to be 51, I'm a guy, and some may think it's strange for me to still love Disney so much, but I do. I'm a complete Disney geek and proud of it.

So since it's my 1700 post I wanted to throw out a few questions and I was hoping to get some fun stuff go share.

thanks.

1. Nothing in particular, loved the whole thing

2. Haunted Mansion

3.Peter Pan

4.Never to DL. WDW: trip #18 is next month

5. In Epcot, around 20 years ago, we were sitting and waiting for someone to come out of the restroom, along comes Mickey, Donald, and Goofy. They took turns dancing with my sister, darn it, no camera that day b/c of bad weather

ransam
08-12-2014, 02:14 AM
realized I never put in my answers.

as I mentioned my mom and dad use to take us all the time, but the one time it sealed it for me was when I was about 10. We were walking down mainstreet for the last time on our way home. I was sad, and my dad put his arm around me and said Disney wasn't going anywhere and I have already gone more than most people have and I would go back many more times. In 41 years it hasn't gone anywhere and I have been back many times. I would love to take my mom and dad back, but they are just not healthy enough to go. I wish they would.

Boy, asking this was easy, but answering it is harder than I thought.
I would say the peter pan ride. it always gives me tingles

3. Favorite Disney Movie. I am not sure if UP is considered a Disney movie, but my questions, my rules, so i'm going to say yes. Now for a classic Disney movie it would be Song Of The South. it was the first movie I ever say at the theatre. saw it everytime it was released up until 1988 when it was vaulted. I am lucky enough to have found it on DVD from overseas and I still love watching it.

4. how many times have you been to Disneyworld, Disneyland? Disneyland-12 Disneyworld-28

there have been lots of funny stories but i'll go with this one.
I use an evc and my best friend, sister and I were in line for soarin. there were two lines and it was our turn, my sister and friend went through and the castmember moved over to open up the handicapped door. as she did a little girl in the other line started going through and the castmember sweetly said "hold on princess". my friend and sister jerked around thinking she was talking to me and calling me princess and started laughing. That night as we got in bed I told my sister and friend night and they returned the night. It got quiet and then my friend said "night princess". My sister literally fell out or her bed laughing...TO this day sometimes if i'm mopping or down they tell me to buck up princess or something along those lines.

One last thing. I have 1700 post. I wanted to thank all of you for sharing your Disney stories and Disney knowledge.
Have a magical day

etibbetts
08-12-2014, 08:18 AM

thanks.

1) Everything! It's the overall magic. I went for my first trip at age 6 and fell in love. 30 years later, I'm still head over heels for Disney!

2) Toy Story Mania - that ride just makes me so happy

3) Cinderella

4) Never been to Disneyland, WDW about 20 times (I've lost count)

5) My first trip in 1984, we had to go on Pirates multiple times because my Mom thought the pirate sitting on the bridge was real. She didn't think they would put hair on the legs of a dummy. Just goes to show that imagineering really does get every little detail right!

Mrs Bus Driver
08-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I might need a room full of psychiatrists to explain it. I grew up near DL was born in 57 so went from time I was a baby. I also watched Wonderful World of Disney on TV. When things went wrong for my family DL was like a refuge where all our problems were forgotten.

This is a tough one but I'm going to go with HH. While POC is my all time favorite I prefer it at DL. However I like HH better at WDW

Another tough one but I'm gonna go with a clasic. Old Yeller seconded by 101 Dalmatians (original). Notice a trend yes I like dogs.

Could not count the number of times I've been to DL we sometimes went 3/4 times a year. WDW 3 times

Not sure if this is funny more like an amazing memory. For a treat my mom kept me home from school one day and took me to DL just me and her. The amazing part was we were first through the gate it wasn't crowded being a school day. All the vehicles that went up and down Main Street were parked waiting. It was like they were waiting for us. So my mom went up to the horse and carriage and asked him if he could take us to Aunt Jamima's Pancake house. I don't remember if he took us all the way there or not but do remember the Mickey pancakes. That has always stuck with me as one of my favorite memories.:mickey:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-12-2014, 12:31 PM
this is my 1700 post, so i wanted to make it a little special.
I have been a disney fan since i was a little boy and my mom and dad use to take my sister and myself every year and it's become my second home.
I'm soon to be 51, i'm a guy, and some may think it's strange for me to still love disney so much, but i do. I'm a complete disney geek and proud of it.

So since it's my 1700 post i wanted to throw out a few questions and i was hoping to get some fun stuff go share.

1. What made you fall in love with disney?

Riding that first ride at dw which for me was the great movie ride-i was hooked. It is still my favorite ride in dhs, although not my top favorite

2. One ride/event in the entire wdw park you would do right now? It could be a ride, show, dining? You can only pick one, not one from each park.

The haunted mansion-it is my favorite ride

3. Favorite disney movie.

Tough one-i'd have to say beauty and the beast

4. How many times have you been to disneyworld, disneyland?

Four trips to dw-one coming up in october

5. Share a funny story that happened to you during a visit.

We went to eat breakfast at 1900 park fare-when the mad hatter came around my son was up at the buffet getting food so i asked the mad hatter if he could wait for him. He sat down and asked what his name was, i told him it was brett. All of a sudden in a loud booming voice the mad hatter started saying, brett, brett, where are you brett? Are you still in the bathroom brett? My son realizing he was calling him came running to the table to the applause of everyone in the restaurant. It was hilarious.

Thanks.

:d

Melanie
08-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Happy 1700!! :joy:

Instead of Daytona or whatever, my girlfriends and I spent every college spring break at WDW. This was back in the late 80s, early 90s. They used to have spring break specials for students and it was cheap to go. Although I'd been before, those four trips are what really made me start drinking the Kool-Aid. My poor hubby, he had no choice on our honeymoon destination. ;)

Soarin'

Aladdin

Disney World - too many to count
Disneyland - 9-10 times
Tokyo Disney - 3 times
Hong Kong Disneyland - 1 times

Our very first visit to Disneyland, we did the Goofy's Kitchen character breakfast. What a great experience, as we were there at the end of breakfast session, and had the characters practically to ourselves. Belle and Snow White paid particular attention to my youngest son, who was around 3 at the time. Snow White kissed him on the cheek and we teased him endlessly about those red lip marks. Well, that then totally turned him off of Princesses for awhile. On our next trip, he even hid under the table at Cinderella's breakfast at the Castle when they came around. LOL It took a few more trips to WDW for him to warm back up to them.

ransam
08-12-2014, 06:43 PM
These stories are great. Thanks to everyone for replying.

I have another funny story.
My sister and I were in line for pirates. there was a couple in front of us, probably college age, and they were talking and the young man was saying how much he loved Disney and loved the fact that one of the reasons Walt Disney created his parks so he could put in rides to keep his movies alive. the girl asked how old pirates of the Caribbean was, and the guy said "well it can't be that old, the movie has only been out a few years". my sister and I just looked at each others and smiled.

Melanie
08-12-2014, 06:46 PM
I have another funny story.
My sister and I were in line for pirates. there was a couple in front of us, probably college age, and they were talking and the young man was saying how much he loved Disney and loved the fact that one of the reasons Walt Disney created his parks so he could put in rides to keep his movies alive. the girl asked how old pirates of the Caribbean was, and the guy said "well it can't be that old, the movie has only been out a few years". my sister and I just looked at each others and smiled.

Oh my. :shake:

I have to zip my lips so much when we're there. My kids just look at me and beg me to keep quiet when they hear something like that.

baldburke
08-12-2014, 10:29 PM
1. What made you fall in love with Disney? It was like being totally transported to a different world back in '81. It was very quiet back then in September. It's hard to believe we spent a whole week there with just one park, but there was still plenty to do between the Hoopty Doo Review, River Country, Discovery Island and Downtown Disney. It was a great trip. I hope my kids find their special memories that keep them coming back.

2. One ride/event in the entire WDW park you would do right now? It could be a ride, show, dining? You can only pick one, not one from each park. Rockin' Roller Coaster for sure! It's by far the family fave!

3. Favorite Disney Movie. Jungle Book (classic) or Toy Story 3 (modern).

4. how many times have you been to Disneyworld, Disneyland? 11, with 2 cruises on top of that. Trip #12 is on deck for 04/15.

5. share a funny story that happened to you during a visit. Not being a guy that funny thing happen to often, I would say the best memories are those of cast members who've gone above and beyond the call of duty to make it a magic experience. It seems like there's at least one per visit. Whether it's the ride attendant that gives a child an ice cream coupon because they're too short or people at the desk who juggle rooms to make everyone fit. There are still lots of people at Disney that love their work!

Great post idea! Happy 1700!

wdwfansince75
08-13-2014, 09:44 AM
1. Back in '71, I had just turned in my thesis for the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, and DW and I decided to take the kids (DS#1, 6, DD#1, 3, and DD#2, 1, to DL. The great time we had, and the joy shown by each of them, captured us, and as held us captive since.

2. Toughest question...but because of many enjoyable rides, with each and all of my DK's and DGK's, Splash Mountain.

3. Mary Poppins...DW and I enjoyed it as a Date Night, the first night out after DS#1 was born, back in '65...saw it in Brunswick, GA, and I flash back to that very special occasion as we pass Brunswick on our way to DW.

4. DW: 20...all too few! DL: 4; that first special trip, and three others, solo, on business trips to the left coast.

5. Many special laughs...and many at character meals...but a special one...DGD#3 was very shy...and really first came out of her shell while we were enjoying breakfast at 1900 Park Faire. She saw, and embraced, the characters, especially Pooh. After a delightful (and extended) visit to our table, Pooh started for the next table. DGD#3, as only she could, (and still can, and does) stamped her foot, and shouted, "You get back here, right now!" And Pooh complied!

hauntedmansiongirl
08-14-2014, 12:47 AM

My Mom ordered us a series of books that had all kinds of stories with all kinds of Disney characters. I grew up reading them every day and now get to read them to my nieces!

The Haunted Mansion of course!

The Little Mermaid!

I think we're on 15 visits to WDW with one visit to DL! I would love to go back to DL!

We were riding a bus back to Riverside and it was really late- about 2am after evening EMH. Most people were exhausted and trying to rest. One loud family near the back was super hyper and kept going back and forth with "my favourite was this, what's your favourite?" The whole ride back- really loudly. We were all patient but after the 20th favourite, we were all getting annoyed. Well, they finally got off at French Quarter- to which my husband replied "my favourite was when THEY got off the bus!" The whole bus cheered and started laughing. It was a priceless moment and we enjoyed the peace and quiet the rest of the way home!

thanks. :mickey:

DisneyLovinFool
08-14-2014, 01:59 PM
This is a fun post, I enjoy reading everyones answers!

1. What made you fall in love with Disney? My family, we always went when I was a child. We grew up with the movies and books also.

2. One ride/event in the entire WDW park you would do right now? It could be a ride, show, dining? You can only pick one, not one from each park. I love Sorin, its an amazing feeling when I ride!

3. Favorite Disney Movie. Sooo hard to choose, Beauty and the Beast!

4. How many times have you been to Disneyworld, Disneyland? At least 10 times but not sure, Disneyland only once.

5. share a funny story that happened to you during a visit. I remember pulling up to Magic Kingdom on the boat and it was raining so hard. We had no umberellas or anything (I think we were rookies then) So we decided to make a run for it to the entrance! We were all so soaked and just laughing to hard!

indytraveler
08-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Going there for the first time in '71 at Christmas. Seeing Mickey Mouse in PERSON! Had to go back to visit Mickey, again, again...

Toy Story Mania

Tough One, but I like Cars

WDW - Too many times
DL - 0 (I need to fix that)

Early morning at rope drop in 1999 or 2000, The Winnie the Pooh Gang is over by Mad Tea Party. We were first to see them and Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore. I have camera and DW takes DD6, DD4, and DS2 to meet them. As they get lined up for a group shot Tigger decides to get playful. He wants to play leap frog with my girls. He hops over DD6 but as he tries to hop over DD4 she stands up. and scolds him for being naughty and not cooperative. The mean time my DS2 joins in with the scolding and talks like any 2 yr old to Tigger and he reacts just perfectly. Well they get all lined up take group shot and move on. When we got done my DW looks at me and says you cost us $10k for not having the video camera with us.
Whenever we walk by that spot after that, we all just look at each other and say remember when...

ransam
08-15-2014, 04:02 AM
DGD#3, as only she could, (and still can, and does) stamped her foot, and shouted, "You get back here, right now!" And Pooh complied!

oh I can so picture my sister doing something like that. of course she is 48 so it's not quite as cute. LOL