PDA

View Full Version : Sun block for feet

PETE FROM NYC
08-11-2014, 12:57 AM
As a NYer, we don't have as strong a sun as WDW. Up here I usually wear sandals starting around Easter. What sunblock should I use for foot protection?
I hope this question is not too stupid sounding.

44 days and counting.

Capt_redshirt
08-11-2014, 01:37 AM
I dont think there is any special kind that you should use. I use a spf 50 (my fair skin burns easy) that is water proof and sweat proof

kakn7294
08-11-2014, 04:02 AM
Whatever you typically use for your body should work just fine for your feet. If you don't use a sunblock at all, I'd go with an SPF 30 in a less greasy formula.

Pirate Granny
08-11-2014, 08:04 AM
This is the first year I got a sun allergy rash on the top of my feet. :( I had to wear socks and sandals that covered my feet more fully. Thankfully it didn't itch. I did cover with sun screen before our waterpark day...wondering if that actually made it worse?

AgentC
08-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Since I live in Florida and wear sandals on most days, I use sunscreen every day from head to toe. I usually use a basic spray on sun screen with a 30-50 SPF. I tend to vary brands depending on what's on sale. I'd go with something you already like but nothing really heavy or goopy.

MNNHFLTX
08-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Since I live in Florida and wear sandals on most days, I use sunscreen every day from head to toe. I usually use a basic spray on sun screen with a 30-50 SPF. I tend to vary brands depending on what's on sale. I'd go with something you already like but nothing really heavy or goopy.We also use the spray-on sunblock pretty much exclusively now; we find it goes on quicker, less sticky and lasts a long time. And it is especially easy to use on the tops of the feet (or in the part of the hair, where I have a tendency to get sunburned).

Keep in mind that there is a skin problem that can crop up at Disney World or any other place with lots of concrete on hot summer days--ankle dermatitis. That's a rash that often shows up around the ankles and lower calves at the end of the day of walking. As far as I know there is nothing that you can do to prevent it (it appears to be a type of heat rash caused by the heat reflected from the pavement). But hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl for really bad cases helps.

AgentC
08-11-2014, 02:09 PM
And it is especially easy to use on the tops of the feet (or in the part of the hair, where I have a tendency to get sunburned).

I had a sun burn on my part once and it was horrible. I couldn't brush my hair without pain. I always move my part during the day now, don't do a part or wear a hat if I know I am going to be out all day.

MNNHFLTX
08-11-2014, 02:36 PM
I had a sun burn on my part once and it was horrible. I couldn't brush my hair without pain. I always move my part during the day now, don't do a part or wear a hat if I know I am going to be out all day.I'm with you there, Cindy. That is a very painful area to get a burn, not to mention unattractive when you peel! :unsure:

brownie
08-11-2014, 10:55 PM
Keep in mind that there is a skin problem that can crop up at Disney World or any other place with lots of concrete on hot summer days--ankle dermatitis. That's a rash that often shows up around the ankles and lower calves at the end of the day of walking. As far as I know there is nothing that you can do to prevent it (it appears to be a type of heat rash caused by the heat reflected from the pavement). But hydrocortisone cream and Benadryl for really bad cases helps.

I've only had a problem with that when I've used a spray-on sunscreen. Never have an issue using sunscreen lotion.

kakn7294
08-12-2014, 04:24 PM
And it is especially easy to use on the tops of the feet (or in the part of the hair, where I have a tendency to get sunburned).

I had a sun burn on my part once and it was horrible. I couldn't brush my hair without pain. I always move my part during the day now, don't do a part or wear a hat if I know I am going to be out all day.

I'm with you guys on the sunburned part! I wear sunblock and a hat. I can turn fire engine red in just 20 minutes in the sun, just in the part. I also put sunblock on my ears - many people forget them when applying sunblock and they have a tendency to easily burn as well.