PDA

View Full Version : Pirate Rooms?

KAT1811
08-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Can anyone give me feedback on Caribbean Beach Pirate Rooms? We booked a last minute trip to the World and since we need two rooms the only thing left with free dining were the pirate rooms at the Caribbean Beach Resort. There will be 7 of us (Me, DH, :princess: 17, :princess: 17, :princess: 9, :princess: 7, and :prince: 5). I haven't stayed at the Caribbean Beach in about 12 years and do not remember all that much about it. In our most recent stays we have stayed at Coronado Springs, Old Key, West and the Yacht Club. I'm not sure how the resort compares in transportation or size to these resorts. Are all the pirate rooms located in one building? Thank you in advance!

Melanie
08-07-2014, 01:46 PM
We just stayed in a Pirate room last month. They are indeed all located in the Trinidad South section of Caribbean Beach. The rooms themselves are very cool. Love all the little touches and I'm sure your 5 year old will love it! Heck, I love it and I'm 44. :secret: :pirate:

That said, Trinidad South is waaaaaay far away from Old Port Royale, the main building with dining, gift shop, main pool, etc. TS is the furthest section away, and remodeling that section to Pirate rooms helped to quiet some of the displeasure I'm sure they heard from some guests about how far away that section is. I get it, it's a big resort, and I'm not against big resorts at all (I LOVE Coronado Springs), but that location is just far out. Period. But it may not even bother you, I just think you should be aware. The resort does have an internal shuttle system if you don't want to walk every time.

There is a nice quiet pool in the Trinidad South section, and the main pool is great. It was redone in the past 5 or so years. Two slides, great fort feeling.

We enjoy the food court as well, and never found it too crowded.

Hope I didn't scare you with the distance, because like I said, it may not even bother you, but I do think folks should be aware. Hope you guys have a great trip!

AgentC
08-07-2014, 01:51 PM
We stayed in the pirate rooms a year or two ago.

The worst thing about the pirate rooms is they were the furthest rooms from everything. I can't remember if it is one or two buildings.

However the rooms are adorable. The beds are ships and the room has great pirate detailing through out. The beds are full so they will be a little smaller than you are used to at the other resorts.

Size wise it is similar to Coronado. There is an internal bus you can take if you don't want to walk. They do have an unusual check in set up. The check in building is a separate building at the front entrance. The main facilities- pool, restaurants, store, etc. are in a different building in the middle of the resort.

The pool is very nice and has two slide. The kids water are is awesome. :)

KAT1811
08-07-2014, 02:45 PM
I get it, it's a big resort, and I'm not against big resorts at all (I LOVE Coronado Springs), but that location is just far out. Period.

We stayed in the pirate rooms a year or two ago.

The worst thing about the pirate rooms is they were the furthest rooms from everything. . .

Size wise it is similar to Coronado.

Thank you very much for the feedback. So size wise it is similar to Coronado. When we last stayed at Coronado we had rooms in the Ranchos section on the back side which was far out. We didn't mind the walk at all it actually gave me some time to get everything packed up and ready to go while DH took the kids for a walk to pick up coffee and breakfast. I was afraid by reading some of the reviews that it was much larger than Coronado and we would be vey unhappy with the location. But, that being said, if it is similar to Coronado in size I think we will be fine no matter where we are located. Truth be told we loved being so far out at Coronado, it was so quiet it was almost like we had the building to ourselves.

Melanie
08-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh, it's definitely quiet out there. I personally feel it's a little larger than Coronado, but I could be wrong on that. The thing that may make it seem a bit further for me is that you actually cross a main road used by the busses.

MrPeetrie
08-07-2014, 08:19 PM
May

MrPeetrie
08-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Kat1811, we stayed there two trips ago and if I didn't have children, I'd probably love the seclusion. It's almost like having your own island. And for the kids, the Pirate theming is very cute.

That said, it really is a disconnect from the rest of the resort. The bus system really affects that area. Those that know the layout and bus route know there's a bridge just before S. Trinidad that leads to the exit. On busy mornings (and find one in WDW that isn't anymore,) buses would fill to capacity prior to reaching our stop, turn and go over the bridge (bypassing us completely,) and leaving. We always had a CM at our stop, monitoring. One morning, waiting for a bus to the Magic Kingdom, we saw bus after bus exiting without stopping. 40 minutes and no bus to Magic Kingdom. I saw one empty bus drive past (to a designated holding area.) After enough protests, the CM radioed to the empty bus and he came to our stop only. We essentially received a chartered ride to the Magic Kingdom.

The other negative was at night's end. We (DW) likes to shop. Lots of packages shipped to our resort. Stopping at Centertowne to pick up packages at 10:00 or later, then making that long trek to our room was too arduous for kids. I exited there myself. My wife exited at S. Trinidad with two kids and made their way to the room themselves. And since we were on the second floor (AND THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS,) she had to climb the stairs, pulling a stroller, carrying a sleeping 2YO, and diaper bag. It was difficult.

I love the resort, but with young kids, this would not be an option for us again.

Tigerinvestigator
08-08-2014, 01:58 PM
I agree with most that has been said here. Very comparable to CSR. The pirate theming is great and I'm glad we did it once. The walk is long but actually we kinda enjoy walking around the resort so it wasn't that big a deal. In fact we probably preferred the location to other rooms we've had closer. The one deal breaker for me at CBR is the bus service. Like Mr. Peetrie said, the bus is almost always at capacity when it reaches your stop. We would always have to stand or wait for another bus. Many times after waiting ridiculous amounts of time, we would just take the first bus that had any room at all on it and make do. Other than the bus service I would have no problem staying in these rooms again.:thumbsup: