PDA

View Full Version : Good spots to rest?

masondoggy
08-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Working on planning trip #2. :mickey:

My biggest gripe about the Magic Kingdom is that there just was nowhere comfortable to sit down and rest for a bit. We were EXHAUSTED because we rarely sat all day. Not because we didn't want to but because the benches they provided were sooooo uninviting and uncomfortable.

Anybody have any good spots they like to take a good rest in the park or maybe even at one of the monorail resorts? I'm thinking about taking a few hours out of the hot part of the afternoon to hop on the monorail and check out the resorts and get a little break from the park (as an alternative to heading back to our resort)

Cheshire_Girl
08-01-2014, 11:39 AM
When you exit Big Thunder Mtn there is a rest area that has shade rocking chairs and a chess board... Always a nice spot if you can grab a seat!

Katzateer
08-01-2014, 12:05 PM
I rest for awhile before the afternoon parade. Find a good place to sit and people watch. My favorite is balcony at train station. In order to get a seat and front row viewing be there about 90 minutes before parade.

Can't do any better than relaxing at the GF lobby. And if you time it right, live music.:cloud9: We used to go to poly but not sure about seating with all the remodeling going on.

MizMissy
08-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Hall of Presidents is a very nice rest.

There used to be rocking chairs on Tom Sawyer's Island, but I don't know if they are still there.

i'm grumpy
08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
There's a shady spot outside the Adventureland shops.

SBETigg
08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
I love to rest at the Grand Floridian, sitting and soaking up the lobby ambiance, doing some shopping, grab a drink at Mizner's later in the day. It's just a relaxing boat ride away.

awaggett
08-01-2014, 01:33 PM
During my last two trips I've taken a break at the Grand Floridian--on the 2nd floor near Mizner's there is a great balcony outside in the shade with ceiling fans overlooking the pool. We had it to ourselves both visits; and stayed for about 1.5 hours.

masondoggy
08-01-2014, 02:21 PM
During my last two trips I've taken a break at the Grand Floridian--on the 2nd floor near Mizner's there is a great balcony outside in the shade with ceiling fans overlooking the pool. We had it to ourselves both visits; and stayed for about 1.5 hours.

DD and I discovered that cool little spot when we snuck away on our last trip to tour the GF. I had that in mind. :thumbsup:

masondoggy
08-01-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks all, I'm definitely taking notes.

kbean
08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Take the boat to Fort Wilderness Resort. I love their lobby! Great place to relax. Also you can walk around and find nice chairs and shade around the pool and that whole back area.

But, the GF does have nice places on the second level to relax. As far as MK, good luck on that. That old food court in Tomorrowland that is never used except for dessert tparties has awesome shade. Terrace Noodle Station. Not great for people watching but there are some views of mainstreet and the castle.

Fangorn
08-01-2014, 02:33 PM
A couple of our favorites:

We've been known to hop on the PeopleMover and ride and ride and ride... Just stay on and go around again. Our personal best is 8 times. We were shooting for 10, but the ride broke down and we had to walk off. :thumbsup: Seats are reasonably comfy and you can put your feet up.

Over at the GF, there is a bench outside of Narcoossee's that looks out over the lake, toward MK. The view is stunning and it's generally uninhabited up until Narcoossee's opens at 5:30pm. It's just a standard Disney bench, but the location and quiet are just the thing to recharge a bit.

Steve

Steve

Tigerinvestigator
08-01-2014, 02:34 PM
Even with construction, the Great Ceremonial House at the Poly has really comfortable chairs and lounge area near the bar and Ohana. Great view of the MK as well.:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Hall of Presidents

wdwfansince75
08-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Carousel of Progress....almost as peaceful and comfortable (and even more un-crowded) as HOP.

ANG
08-02-2014, 09:06 AM
In the park, we like outside city hall in the rockers (if you can snatch a free one). The rides are nice to rest on but you still have to get up when it's done and you can't eat there!

If you have the time, take a boat to WL and enjoy the leather chairs in their lobby,

baldburke
08-02-2014, 12:03 PM
The rockers out in front of Tony's and the Town Square Theater on Main Street. That's a definite stop every trip!

TheHD
08-02-2014, 06:27 PM
That old food court in Tomorrowland that is never used except for dessert tparties has awesome shade. Terrace Noodle Station. Not great for people watching but there are some views of mainstreet and the castle.

That is now Tomorrowland Terrace and they have some good pasta dishes for a QS restaurant. It's usually pretty crowded during peak eating times, but it is a good place to rest. Not too warm with the ceiling fans going.

I think the best place to cool down and rest during my recent visit to MK was definitely upstairs in Columbia Harbour House. Other than that, not too many options.

ransam
08-04-2014, 03:02 AM
even though it is in front of the park, I love to get a soft drink and a snack, usually a dole whip, and sit on a bench right under the railroad station. It's usually easy to get a seat, nice shade, lots of activity, but you're not in the middle of it, and the view is great looking directly at the castle, watching people come and go with smiles on their face is a really nice feeling.

princessgirls
08-07-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm a big fan of the Hall of Presidents to cool down and rest!!

The seats are comfy, and it's cool and dark!

Julie

ransam
08-08-2014, 04:58 PM
get on the ferry infont of the MK and take a round trip. It's very calming to be on the water an quiet.

mcjaco
08-12-2014, 10:28 AM
We typically rest either in the old Terrace between Main Street and Tomorrowland. There's bathrooms, and it's usually empty, so the kids can run around if they still have energy to burn. And it's under a roof.

At Epcot we rest on the benches under the monorail by Imagination. Good people watching, and the kids sit and wait for the next monorail to come.

Late afternoon, a stop at the Rose & Crown beer garden is nice too. :)

azcavalier
08-12-2014, 03:38 PM
A few thoughts:

1. Ride the railroad around as long as you would like.

2. Carousel of Progress. Long show.

3. Have you seen the new Rapunzel themed area? Lots of seating and even places to charge your phones. Plus you can look for all of Pascal's friends.

4. Someone mentioned taking the boat to Fort Wilderness. I would suggest the boat to Wilderness Lodge. Their lobby is stunning, and there is a lot of soft seating to enjoy.

5. We like to go to New Fantasyland, over to the Big Top Souvenirs and get snacks and sit on the wall outside of the shop to enjoy them. Underrated snack bar there.

Janmac
08-12-2014, 03:42 PM
DH used to know all the MK benches - before he got his knees replaced. One of his favorites is around to the side of Space Mtn, overlooking the Speedway. His version of this bench couldn't have been relaxing but he liked it. He'd heckle the parents, asking them why weren't they letting the kids drive, etc. He's got a way of saying the most amazing things and people crack up instead of getting upset.

If it's one of those times you just have to get away from the park, a boat ride to Fort Wilderness and the rocking chairs on Crockett's Tavern porch while you sip a cool beverage is a good choice. And if you've got kids in the group who ready to relax, there's a great playground right beside the Tavern.

If a quiet meal is in order, try Manginos at Shades of Green. Take the boat or monorail to the Poly, walk through and across the drive and up the walkway to the resort.

Jan