PDA

View Full Version : Into The Woods

DizneyFreak2002
07-31-2014, 06:47 PM
Today, The Walt Disney Company released the teaser trailer for "Into the Woods"...

Take a minute and check it out... Based on fairy tales yes... But yet, it seems like it may be my kind of movie...

Into the Woods comes to theaters on December 25... Looks like a possible winner following Maleficent's success...

Mickey'sGirl
07-31-2014, 07:52 PM
It sure looks great!! Hope to see it on the Fantasy Christmas day!

Mickey'sGirl
07-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Yep. Saw the original cast in NYC back in the day.

Katzateer
07-31-2014, 09:45 PM
Have never heard of this - can't wait to see it based on the trailer. How long ago was this on Broadway? Guess I know where I will be Christmas Day.:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
07-31-2014, 10:20 PM
Netflix used to have a streaming version of it... Now only available for DVD rental... I remember watching it one time on the streaming service... Bernadette Peters starred in it...

Mickey'sGirl
07-31-2014, 10:27 PM
Have never heard of this - can't wait to see it based on the trailer. How long ago was this on Broadway? Guess I know where I will be Christmas Day.:thumbsup:

I was still in high school, so late '80s - ish.

badkitty
07-31-2014, 10:31 PM

Into the Woods debuted on Broadway in 1987. :D It is a mash up of several favorite fairytales with a dark twist (not unlike the newer TV show OUAT). The music is great but then again I love Sondheim.

TheDuckRocks
08-01-2014, 11:37 AM
I loved it on the stage and can't wait to see the movie. We saw the stage version in about '88/'89 in Los Angeles. Chaka Khan played the witch as Bernadette Peters was out sick.

PirateLover
08-02-2014, 11:24 AM
"Careful the things you say, children will listen.
Careful the things you do, children will see and learn. Children may not obey, but children will listen. Children will look to you for which way to turn, to learn what to be. Careful before you say 'Listen to me.' Children will listen."

I am very excited for this adaptation, although I will probably have to wait until I can watch at home since my first child is due about a week before the movie premieres. :thumbsup:

Katzateer
08-02-2014, 03:19 PM
"Careful the things you say, children will listen.
Careful the things you do, children will see and learn. Children may not obey, but children will listen. Children will look to you for which way to turn, to learn what to be. Careful before you say 'Listen to me.' Children will listen."

I am very excited for this adaptation, although I will probably have to wait until I can watch at home since my first child is due about a week before the movie premieres. :thumbsup:

:congrats::congrats:

JanetMegan
08-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I LOVE LOVE this show and the tv version played on PBS quite a good bit. A little more info for anyone as obsessed as I am...

The songs from the original stage musical that did not make it into the film adaptation are "Cinderella At the Grave", "I Guess This is Goodbye", "Maybe They're Magic", "Our Little World", "First Midnight", "Second Midnight", "Act I Finale: Ever After", "Act II Prologue: So Happy" and "No More". Stephen Sondheim also wrote two original songs specially for the film: "Rainbows", which is a duet for Baker and his Wife and another one for the Witch.

Overall, the screen adaptation by James Lapine is fairly close to his original stage musical. The only large change is the replacement of the Narrator using the Baker's voiceover for the narration. Another noticeable change is the cut of the Mysterious Man. The role played by Meryl Streep is a combination of both the Witch role and the Mysterious Man, but ultimately the witch.

(from imdb)

TheDuckRocks
08-05-2014, 10:33 AM
OK, Janet, let me get this straight..........they have cut 8 songs out of the movie? :confused:
Good grief! What's left???
The stage version should be arriving today from Netflix, it will be interesting to see again and see what won't be in the movie.

BriarRose0708
08-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Into the Woods debuted on Broadway in 1987. :D It is a mash up of several favorite fairytales with a dark twist (not unlike the newer TV show OUAT). The music is great but then again I love Sondheim.

It's so much more than fairytales with a twist. The show is a mash up of the original Grimm's tales that are very, very dark and some are quite violent. While I know no one will ever be completely satisfied with a screen adaptation of a favorite musical or book, I think the fact Sondheim has been involved with the project is a very good sign.

TheDuckRocks
08-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you. Silly me I remember those little ditties getting us from one scene to the next, but I guess I didn't realize they were named songs. :blush: