PDA

View Full Version : Remember when...

disney obsessed
07-25-2014, 07:36 PM
You could show up at the World and walk up to any restaurant and get in for a meal?

eam
07-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Yes, I do - and it was wonderful!

joonyer
07-25-2014, 08:30 PM
I also remember when there was no FPs and standby lines for most of the e-tickets were 60-90 minutes during busy seasons. Waiting on line was the only option.

DizneyRox
07-25-2014, 08:42 PM
You didn't have to pay extra for park hopping and tickets didn't expire?

chefmickey3
07-25-2014, 08:54 PM
E-ride nights meant very limited number of people and walk on rides for the entire night.

DizneyRox
07-26-2014, 07:46 AM
I remember, even if I had MK for the day, taking the monorail over to Epcot and getting same-day reservations for any of the World Showcase restaurants...
By videophone, just part of the future AT&T was bringing to us, in the Spaceship Earth attraction! :D
Ahhhhh... Communicore...

1DisneyNut
07-26-2014, 07:56 AM
I remember all those things. WDW used to be such a more enjoyable place.

Although they once didn't have fastpasses of any fashion, I still got all the rides done in the same amount of time. The only ones that fastpasses truly benefit are those that mostly only want to ride the most popular rides. The rides only have a certain amount of throughput and if you stand in fastpass for only 10 minutes at space mountain, you are just going to turn around and go stand in standby elsewhere assuming you are doing most of the attractions. All fastpass does is stroke your need for instant gratification every now and then.

The ADR's for restaurants have resulted in us very rarely ever eating at table service on site. We despise being tied to ADR's and having to work our fun time around them.

Now we have FP+ and I am actually dreading even going and having to use it. I still don't have a trip planned because I am dreading it so much.

VacationDisney
07-26-2014, 12:40 PM
It is LOTS more work planning a WDW vacation these days, EVEN using MJ.

This upcoming trip we planned the resort 7 months out. ADR's 3 months out. FP+ 2 months out:mad:

I DO remember, and my husband talk about this ALL the time, how we would get up in the morning, decide what park we wanted to go to. Get to the park and walk up to the kiosk in Hollywood Studios and make reservation THAT VERY MORNING for dinner that night, AND we got reasonable dinner times:cloud9:

Our last trip to WDW, December 2013, was our least favorite visit EVER. My Magic Band was not so "magical" as my band did NOT allow us to use the FP+ option. We called IT, twice, but after spending over 30 minutes on the phone for 2 days in a row, we gave up trying to get the bands fixed and tried to enjoy our time at the parks without the bands working.

Our upcoming trip in about a month:thumbsup: has our FP+ rides chosen already and hope all works out well.

Going to WDW was more relaxing in the past. I don't think there are any less crowded times to visit WDW anymore.

We DO love going and plan on going in the future, but maybe not so often as we used to go (doubt that will be the case:blush:)

BIGDOG
07-30-2014, 01:42 PM
The Polynesian Village Resort, with its Great Ceremonial House, which was modeled after a Tahitian royal assembly lodge, opened with 492 guest rooms in eight longhouse buildings: Bali Hai, Bora Bora, Hawaii, Fiji, Samoa, Tahiti, Tonga, and Maui. Resort rates in 1971 were $29, $36 and $44, depending on the floor, view and location.

I don't remember that but wish I did.

kbean
07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
When wdw actually gave a care about returning customers.

Terra
07-30-2014, 02:10 PM
When wdw actually gave a rats patootie about returning customers.

That might be a little strongly worded ;) I think they care it's just not always what we think they should care about. The good news is, that if Disney is getting that bad for people, there are certainly other Orlando and world wide options ;)

For me, remember when I could walk through FW to Wonders of Life Pavilion and catch the Anacomical Players [LOVED them.] Shop, learn about the Birds and Bees, and ride Body Wars which always gave me a throw back to my youth and the movie I loved so much about that subject, Fantastic Voyage ;)

dpamac
07-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Just a reminder about Intercot's five year old rule. Meaning: If you're using a word a five year old would get in trouble for using at breakfast then choose another word.

PETE FROM NYC
08-02-2014, 07:08 PM
We have been going since 75, so I remember when things were a lot less hectic, and you didn't have to pre-plan everything so far in advance.
We are heading down 9/16 . Do I have to make toilet ADRs too?

RunDMV
08-03-2014, 07:36 AM
When wdw actually gave a care about returning customers.

This^. 1,000 times this.

RunDMV
08-03-2014, 07:38 AM
Breakfast at Tony's.....and the cinimon roll breakfast appetizer.