PDA

View Full Version : Mods at Christmas

Jen1984
07-25-2014, 10:31 AM
So with 2015 prices just about to be released, we're trying to nail down which Moderate to stay at Christmas next year! Nothing like thinking ahead!:blush:

We've narrowed our choices down to Coronado Springs or Port Orleans Riverside. CBR just doesn't appeal for some reason and whilst I loved POFQ on our last trip, DBF felt it was too quiet in the evenings.

Walking around isn't a problem, I know that they're both large resorts. I'm leaning toward POR, but would probably want a room in the mansions rather than Alligator Bayou and I'm not sure if you can guarantee that without booking a preferred room? We'll have 5 adults and one child (who will be 14 by then) split between 3 rooms.

Also, which do you think is best has a better Christmas theme? We'll be there for Christmas week so want it as christmassy as possible!

Thanks in advance!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-25-2014, 11:27 AM
First, with moderates, I would describe the Christmas decorations as "lite theming". I think the values have little to none, the deluxes quite a bit, and as you'd expect, the moderates, some but not a lot. From what I recall with POR is that there is a rotunda when you walk into lobby. Fulton's Store, the check-in, the food court and an exit towards Old Man Island are all off of this rotunda. The lobby/check-in area is decorated, garland mostly as I recall, and the rotunda had I believe a poinsettia Christmas Tree, a santa chair and some oversized wrapped Christmas presents. Nothing major, but enough of a touch that you knew what season it was. There was no Christmas theming in and around the grounds. I would expect CSR to be the same or less.

If I understand the mansions correctly, two of the four (Oak/Paterre) are Royal rooms, which means preferred upcharge. But I believe the other two mansions (Magnolia & Acadian) are regular rooms. If you use a TA, simply have them request the mansions as your room choice. I don't see why you wouldn't be accomodated since you wouldn't be requesting a preferred building (those would be buildings 14-15-18-27 over in the AB section).

I love POR and all that it has to offer and have stayed there 3 times, plus once at POFQ and once at CBR. Have only walked thru CSR. POR by far our favorite with a probably best moderate pool, River Roost Lounge with YeeHaw Bob and of course the boats to DTD.

No secret as to which resort I would pick.

Good luck with your choice and planning.

Jen1984
07-25-2014, 12:08 PM
First, with moderates, I would describe the Christmas decorations as "lite theming". I think the values have little to none, the deluxes quite a bit, and as you'd expect, the moderates, some but not a lot. From what I recall with POR is that there is a rotunda when you walk into lobby. Fulton's Store, the check-in, the food court and an exit towards Old Man Island are all off of this rotunda. The lobby/check-in area is decorated, garland mostly as I recall, and the rotunda had I believe a poinsettia Christmas Tree, a santa chair and some oversized wrapped Christmas presents. Nothing major, but enough of a touch that you knew what season it was. There was no Christmas theming in and around the grounds. I would expect CSR to be the same or less.

If I understand the mansions correctly, two of the four (Oak/Paterre) are Royal rooms, which means preferred upcharge. But I believe the other two mansions (Magnolia & Acadian) are regular rooms. If you use a TA, simply have them request the mansions as your room choice. I don't see why you wouldn't be accomodated since you wouldn't be requesting a preferred building (those would be buildings 14-15-18-27 over in the AB section).

I love POR and all that it has to offer and have stayed there 3 times, plus once at POFQ and once at CBR. Have only walked thru CSR. POR by far our favorite with a probably best moderate pool, River Roost Lounge with YeeHaw Bob and of course the boats to DTD.

No secret as to which resort I would pick.

Good luck with your choice and planning.

Thanks, this really helps! I loved Yeehaw Bob when we stayed at POFQ and that's half the reason I want to stay at POR! I think the rest of my family would love him too. I think my mind is made up, just have to convince everyone else!

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-25-2014, 01:49 PM
We stayed at Coronado Springs around Christmas one year and I remember it had a beautiful tree and was decorated....

Angelgirl65
07-28-2014, 07:49 AM
Coronado is great at Christmas. They have a huge tree and decorated the lobby and surrounding area very well.

Jen1984
07-28-2014, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the responses! Think I'm going to need to start googling Christmas pictures to see which my family will prefer as both sound great!

Katzateer
07-28-2014, 09:59 PM
We have stayed at POR a few times during December. The decorations are pretty . I really thought they did an outstanding job at FQ. More than I expected at the smaller part of the resort.

The mansion area is more to my liking - a very pretty walk to food court.

Have fun!