PDA

View Full Version : Is DHS a 2 day park?

savafan
07-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Here's our current plans for our upcoming trip in November.

11/1 - Arrival, Magic Kingdom
11/2 - Hollywood Studios
11/3 - Animal Kingdom
11/4 - Hollywood Studios
11/5 - Epcot
11/6 - Magic Kingdom
11/7 - Epcot
11/8 - Magic Kingdom, Departure

I am wondering though if Hollywood Studios is truly a 2 day park, or if one day there will be sufficient, and perhaps take the 2nd for an additional day at Magic Kingdom. What are your thoughts? Is there enough at DHS to spend 2 days there with 2 kids, ages 6 (boy) and 5 (girl)?

IloveJack
07-14-2014, 12:31 AM
We like DHS for all it's exclusive characters, and it houses better thrill rides for the older ones; but I don't think DHS is a two day park. In fact, we were there in June, with 4 adults and 3 kids (5 and under) and had finished everything we wanted to do in the park by 7pm. We didn't watch a lot of shows, but we did a few. With kids that age, I would do one day at DHS and spend the extra day at MK.

Side note: DHS is definitely a two day park if something special is going on, such as the holiday lights spectacular, Star Wars weekend, or the new Frozen stuff. Those things take up a good bit of time, and aren't to be missed.

1stGoofysGirl
07-14-2014, 02:19 AM
DHS can be a 2-day park if you want to see all the shows, enjoy the various street performers and meet the characters, without rushing; or if there is a special event also happening while you're there. During normal times, one day should be enough time.

AK can be a 2-day park, particular for kids. There is a lot to see and do. There are several shows, as well as "street performers" who involve the audience, especially kids, in the show, and also many opportunities to explore and visit many animal exhibits.

Have a great time

DKA041177
07-14-2014, 08:23 AM
I am a big fan of DHS, and think there is a lot to do there (and sometimes we do spend a second day there). However, given the age of your kids, I would side with an additional MK day.

eandrsmom
07-14-2014, 08:46 AM
I would agree that one day should be enough. Keep in mind that some of the shows may be too intense for young children. When my daughter was 5, she was frightened by the noise in the stunt show. She was also scared by the pyrotechnics in the Indiana Jones show. Depending on your children, you may need to skip some of the shows which would make one day sufficient.

ibelieveindisneymagic
07-14-2014, 08:58 AM
I think you have enough MK time (is there every really "enough" MK time?), but we usually spend two 3/4 days at DHS. One in the morning, and into the afternoon, and then the second arriving just after lunch and staying until close.

We find this gives us the best "spread" of shows and activities, and it is a beautiful park at night.

RBrooksC
07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
I think it all depends on what you want to do. It is a half-day park if you don't do all the shows and watch the parades. That is the same for Animal Kingdom.

If we go for a longer trip, we will do AK with two 1/2 days and the same with DHS.

But then again, I can't remember the last time we went and saw a show.

azcavalier
07-14-2014, 09:55 AM
We usually take two half-days, and that suits us well. But we rarely see the shows anymore, as we've done all of them multiple times. Except for American Idol. But i'm OK skipping that.

joonyer
07-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Even if you can do everything in one day, we always visit more than once during our week long trips, simply because we like repeating our favorite attractions (ToT, RnRC, TSM, Star Tours, etc) over and over again several times during our vacations.

disneymom15
07-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Even if you can do everything in one day, we always visit more than once during our week long trips, simply because we like repeating our favorite attractions (ToT, RnRC, TSM, Star Tours, etc) over and over again several times during our vacations.

Same here, but we rarely spend an entire day there ( we park hop ). That said, if we only had base tickets, we probably would spend that day in another park.

#1donaldfan
07-14-2014, 11:57 AM
I would say the HS is a one day park. We typically do rope drop there one day, then another day we go back for nightime fun. The rope drop day we are done by noon, and that's riding, RRC, ToT, Star Tours, seeing muppets, great movie ride, Indy, and getting a pizza at Planet Hollywood before rolling out. The nighttime fun is usually just walking around and maybe standing in a line or two for rides, if it's not a two hour wait, then Fantasmic !!:cool:

savafan
07-14-2014, 12:07 PM
(is there every really "enough" MK time?)

Ha, that's just it, there isn't. It's the one park we always wish we'd spent more time in.

CaptSmee
07-14-2014, 02:13 PM
Its all up to you on how you tour the parks. We are going next trip to DHS for dinner & Fantasmic a night (after water park), spending a full day there mid-week (leaving at dinnertime for the boardwalk), then going one morning early to re-ride the biggies before hopping to Epcot the rest of the day. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2014, 02:28 PM
My opinion, DHS isn't even a 1 day park, let alone a 2 day park... Half day park is more like it...

RBrooksC
07-14-2014, 03:44 PM
My opinion, DHS isn't even a 1 day park, let alone a 2 day park... Half day park is more like it...

When we were there last year, we were able to use an employee ticket to visit the park.

It was a one day park hopper. We went to the MK first to see some of the new rides there and it just felt right going there to start the day.

We finished with Star Wars Weekends at DHS. We got there mid-afternoon and did what we needed to do.

At 6 PM, my wife and I were exhausted and decided to leave. With the exception of TSM, we got to see everything we wanted to see. I still don't feel like we left "early" that day. I think we spent 3 hours in the DHS that day with about five hours in MK.

1DisneyNut
07-14-2014, 03:53 PM

My thoughts exactly. In addition, if it wasn't so poorly designed and laid out, it would be easy to do in a half day. You spend a significant amount of time backtracking and crossing the same paths.

With small children, I don't see how it could take all day if you were only doing what they can do. Now if you are ride swapping for the adults to ride the big rides, it would add maybe a couple of hours.

KAJUNKING
07-14-2014, 05:30 PM
if you plan to see all the shows i could see spending 2 days there especially if you take the time to check out all the streetmosphere people and such

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2014, 06:50 PM
if you plan to see all the shows i could see spending 2 days there especially if you take the time to check out all the streetmosphere people and such

Sorry, even doing that, DHS is only a half day park.. MAYBE you can spread it out to a full day... But 2 days? No way... That's a waste of a day...

They only have one park worthy of 2 days in WDW, and that's MK... Even Epcot is only worth one day... MAYBE a day and a half for Epcot..

DAK is half day as well...

yankeesfan123
07-14-2014, 06:58 PM
Sorry, even doing that, DHS is only a half day park.. MAYBE you can spread it out to a full day... But 2 days? No way... That's a waste of a day...

They only have one park worthy of 2 days in WDW, and that's MK... Even Epcot is only worth one day... MAYBE a day and a half for Epcot..

Well, a lot of show times overlap. LMA is only shown twice a day sometimes. So, if you want to see all the shows, you might have to go back a second day.

1stGoofysGirl
07-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Many guests enjoy more than just the "hot and most in demand rides"; as a result, they, myself and my family included, have no problem spending multiple days in any of the parks, and don't feel as though we are wasting our time.

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Well, a lot of show times overlap. LMA is only shown twice a day sometimes. So, if you want to see all the shows, you might have to go back a second day.

I did it last year: saw all the shows, got on all the rides (some multiple times), ate lunch, had a frozen lemonade and still had the park done by 3:30ish... That was arriving around 9:30/10:00 in the morning...

My brother and I were trying to stay interested from 3:30 on... We had a FP for RnRC, which the ride broke down... Switched times to later in the day (7:00)... Wound up hitting ToT a few times, Star Tours a few times... And then dinner... And even then, we had to kill 2 more hours (5:00 to 7:00) before our RnRC FP, and then to line up for Fantasmic...

texas211
07-14-2014, 07:52 PM
I'd say DHS is 1 or 1.5 tops. I'd certainly do more full days at the MK. I'd swap out and get more MK time. There is more to see, and to soak in.

yankeesfan123
07-14-2014, 08:13 PM
I did it last year: saw all the shows, got on all the rides (some multiple times), ate lunch, had a frozen lemonade and still had the park done by 3:30ish... That was arriving around 9:30/10:00 in the morning...

My brother and I were trying to stay interested from 3:30 on... We had a FP for RnRC, which the ride broke down... Switched times to later in the day (7:00)... Wound up hitting ToT a few times, Star Tours a few times... And then dinner... And even then, we had to kill 2 more hours (5:00 to 7:00) before our RnRC FP, and then to line up for Fantasmic...

Well, it's not always possible.

For example, for the entirety of my upcoming trip (6 days), LMA only has two showings each day.

Each show overlaps with either Beauty and the Beast or Indiana Jones. If I wanted to see all three, I'd have to go a second day.

Edit: I realize that it would be possible to see Indiana Jones or Beauty and the Beast at a different time, but dining ressies, parade plans, and a TSM FP+ get in the way.

DizneyRox
07-14-2014, 09:32 PM
At best it's a half day Park. It needs more help than AK at this point.

DizneyFreak2002
07-14-2014, 11:33 PM
Well, it's not always possible.

For example, for the entirety of my upcoming trip (6 days), LMA only has two showings each day.

Each show overlaps with either Beauty and the Beast or Indiana Jones. If I wanted to see all three, I'd have to go a second day.

Edit: I realize that it would be possible to see Indiana Jones or Beauty and the Beast at a different time, but dining ressies, parade plans, and a TSM FP+ get in the way.

No parade in DHS remember that... I used FP for TSMM as well... If anything, FP helps makes DHS a half day park more than any other park...

yankeesfan123
07-15-2014, 07:02 AM
No parade in DHS remember that... I used FP for TSMM as well... If anything, FP helps makes DHS a half day park more than any other park...

Frozen parade. Sing along. Extra fireworks.

I'm going this summer. Lots of extra stuff going on.

MississippiDisneyFreak
07-15-2014, 08:00 AM
For us its only a half day park, so I think one day would probably be enough for you. We find sometimes that two days isn't even enough time for Mk so I would spend the extra day there or perhaps a down day relaxing at the resort swimming in the pool and shopping at DTD.

Cheshire_Girl
07-15-2014, 09:40 AM
I think you have enough MK time (is there every really "enough" MK time?), but we usually spend two 3/4 days at DHS. One in the morning, and into the afternoon, and then the second arriving just after lunch and staying until close.

We find this gives us the best "spread" of shows and activities, and it is a beautiful park at night.

I agree...If you want to enter DHS 2 days-split it up -A morning/Afternoon Trip and an Afternoon/Evening trip...For me, no way I could spend 2 whole days in this park-but it's awesome at night ! I usually have great character encounters here at night...Last time I ran into the Tweedles, I think I was more excited to see them than anything else that night.

DizneyFreak2002
07-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Frozen parade. Sing along. Extra fireworks.

I'm going this summer. Lots of extra stuff going on.

Still not a two day park.. That "parade" is what, 5 minutes maybe? And you can add in the Frozen stuff and still have the park done in a day... There really isn't THAT much more being done this summer...

yankeesfan123
07-15-2014, 03:25 PM
Still not a two day park.. That "parade" is what, 5 minutes maybe? And you can add in the Frozen stuff and still have the park done in a day... There really isn't THAT much more being done this summer...

There is enough to interrupt the possibility of seeing at least 1 of the 3 big shows on a day when they only show LMA twice a day.

The frozen parade being 5 minutes means I won't make it to an entire Beauty and the Beast show.

I'll also have to wait standby for either RNRR or TSM.

I'm only saying that I will have to stop by the park for a second day to see LMA if I want to. That's all.

Giggy
07-20-2014, 07:14 AM
Last time we went I think we did Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom as 1.5 day parks each. I'm sure I could spend more time in ANY of the parks without running out of things to do but I think if I were to get to do a full two days in one of those it would be Animal Kingdom, that is the one where we felt a bit pushed for time getting everything done we wanted, possibly because it closes earlier.

As you say though, there is no such thing as too much Magic Kingdom time, for me that is a 3 day park (given unlimited time I'd probably spend even more there!) and with young children that will have a big appeal. Then again I also see Epcot as a 2 day park. I think sometimes people understate how good Epcot can be for the youngest age group.

In short it's down to personal preference, from our perspective although we enjoy it we perhaps spend the least time at Hollywood Studios. If we were to do any of them as a 1 day park it would probably be Hollywood Studios but that isn't to say you couldn't enjoy more than 1 day there. I'm sure you will enjoy your day whichever park you choose though. :mickey:

TheVBs
07-21-2014, 09:00 AM
I think it's purely a personal decision. When our girls were younger we didn't even do a full day in this park. But, on our last two trips, we've easily done a full day and almost two full days on the last one! There was a time we'd be happy to skip this park, but we found lots of things to do to fill a couple of days at a leisurely pace. Until you explore the park and figure out what works for your family, it's hard to say how much time you'd enjoy there. Map out what you'd like to do, take a day and try it. If you walk away wanting more, then you know it's more than a 1 day park for you. At least, for the time being.

And yes! There is never enough MK time! :mickey:

waymickey
07-21-2014, 05:06 PM
DHS is a half day park for us. We have stayed for the fireworks just once in all the years we have been going. That one night we got smoked out and couldn't even see what Mickey was doing. We just find this park boring. We hit the big rides and maybe the backlot tour, (which is blah now) and then jump on a boat over to the boardwalk for lunch and then head to Epcot.

MK and EPCOT are multiple day parks for us and AK and DHS half day parks. We have found lots to do at the resorts and tours.

VacationDisney
07-23-2014, 11:37 AM
I am so glad to hear that people don't spend more time at DHS:thumbsup:

That leaves me with fewer people in the park so I can enjoy it:number1:

The Hitchhiking Ghost
07-23-2014, 01:18 PM
Our circumstances usually allow us to make this a two day park. Our recent visits in 2010 & 12 were at least 9 full days which gave us a lot of flexibility in scheduling our park days. We were also on free dining and it was the holidays, so Osborne Family Lights were going on.

So for us, DHS became the perfect 2 day split-stay park. We'd go around rope drop, get our TSM FP and do several rides, maybe a show, have lunch at Starring Rolls and turkey leg for DD and then head back to POR for pool time with the kids. Then we'd come back 4-5 hours later and hit our ADR at Momma Melrose or 50's Prime Time, then go see Osborne or Fantasmic and do a few more rides. We'd do this again 4 or 5 days later.

So for us, we were easily able to make this a 2 day park, but I can certainly see (especially if you are not doing character interaction) being able to knock this park out in a 1/2 to 3/4 day. But its also possible to make it a 2 day park without getting bored.

RBrooksC
07-25-2014, 07:54 AM
To be honest, I don't see a problem with "half-day" parks.

And I don't think Disney has a problem with it either. If there wouldn't be so many ways to spend money and time at the resort.

At one time I think they did whatever they could to funnel people into the parks.

Now, I think they have designed the resort that there are many ways for them to take our money when not in the parks.

And, I found the last time we were there, that not going to the parks was just as enjoyable and tiring as being in them all day.

Roger's #1 Fan
07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
I think it really depends on your length of stay as others have alluded to.
When we did a 10 day trip, We spent two -1/2 days+ at DHS going to AK in the morning and swinging over there in the afternoon. On our 6 day trip, I think we only did 3/4 of a day, but were able to see and do just about everything, although we did have to hustle to get it all in.

ransam
07-25-2014, 03:55 PM
I really love Hollywood Studios.
There are so many cool, unnoticed things in the park.
If I had to do only one park, I would say that depending on my mood any of Epcot, MK, or HS would be my choice. ( I like AK, but to me besides Everest and a couple shows, the best part is the vibe, and beauty of the park.)
I love Epcot cause of the beauty, there are cool attractions and I could spend a few days just exploring the countries.
MK is special because of its magic and that it's just buried in Disney.
HS is the fun park. Great attractions, wonderful shows, and so much going on just in the streets with their performers.

Now whether or not it's a two day park, I don't know because I have never limited my time to one park in a day. I usually hit at least two, sometimes three or all four parks in a day. But I would imagine that since it has probably 3 of the most popular attractions in R&R Coaster, Tower or Terror, and Toy Story mania, not to mention all the shows, that if you wanted to see it all, no way you could do it in a day, so yes, I would say that by the time you waited in the lines for the big 3, saw all the great shows, a couple street performers, and actually took a few moments to soak in atmosphere, it would be at least two days.
my suggestion though is don't limit yourself to any one park in a day, get a park hopper, do what you feel like and take your time and soak in the magic.

ANG
07-26-2014, 07:17 PM
I prefer to do HS in two days but it could be done in one long day. My kids are young so we usually have to skip some of the thrill rides. But it's hard to get all the shows in one day due to timing.

DonaldDuckUSA
08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
I noticed you don't have a day to just relax at the resort or go to Downtown Disney. Maybe your second HS day could be spent just exploring and relaxing?

Either way, HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!:mickey:

Gator
08-15-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm all for spending two days at each park. With kids at 6 and below, obviously MK has more attractions for them. But spending a third day there at the expense of getting back to DHS - It would be hard for me to make that call. They're probably over 40 inches, so they'll be able to do Star Tours quite easily. And if they're brave like my kids, they could Tower of Terror as well. I admit that DHS doesn't have what MK has, but I personally would go back to the Studios.

tinkx2
08-15-2014, 01:50 PM
DH is my favorite park... love the rides... love the shows, love love love the parade and show the street performers, but I truly don't think it is a 2 day park. I agree it is a park that you can spend the whole day in and not get bored, but even though it's my favorite i can't see spending 2 days there on a 5 day trip.