PDA

View Full Version : line etiquette/line jumping?

mechanic
07-13-2014, 09:51 PM
Was in line at new mine ride tuesday night near closing time. line was moving reasonably well. As we approached the interactive area of the line, there was a gap in the crowd control roping that let people cut through and move ahead of the people that were playing in the interactive area. it didn't look like anyone had tampered with the rope, nothing laying on ground, or anything like that. some people were going through the gap, so we did too.

A row or two ahead a gentleman in line started yelling and threatening to call security. I honestly thought it was a interactive bypass for people who didn't want to go that way. The cast members never said anything to any of the "cutters".

So I am wondering, was it a legitimate cut through, or just a roping mistake?

If we were cutting, I offer my apologies to anyone who we got in front of unjustly.

baldburke
07-13-2014, 10:46 PM
In my mind line cutting is hard at Disney. People are grouped and regrouped often. Queues are also wide. If a family or two accidentally get ahead of you is it the end of the world? Probably not. Will you still be on the ride or attraction in essentially the same amount of time? Probably. Yes, there are a few people trying to skirt the line from time to time, but are they really getting that much more than you? I doubt it. Just enjoy the day!

VWL Mom
07-14-2014, 06:30 AM
I've often wondered about line etiquette for those with interactive features since we tend to bypass the interactive elements on most rides after we've tried them once. JMO but if I'm involved with the interactive elements and there is a gap ahead of me it's okay for those behind me to move ahead and it's not considered one jumping in my book. In your case it sounds like you followed the roping similar to the old queue at HM.

LVT
07-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Oh, I bypass. I thought that was the point of 2 lines there.

RBrooksC
07-14-2014, 09:07 AM
The last time we were there, the option was interactive queue or old queue. The old queue had nobody in it, so we went that way because we had seen the interactive queue and just wanted to ride the HM.

I don't consider that line cutting since the people in the interactive line are making the choice to play with those neat line distractions as opposed to going right to the ride.

To me, line cutting is ANYBODY who decided to walk past people waiting in the same line for the same ride.

mechanic
07-14-2014, 02:24 PM
. Then the question becomes ; does the open chain constitute a legitimate alternate pathway?

cer
07-14-2014, 03:07 PM
They should post a sign or a cast member there.

This way to play with the toys, that way to continue to the ride.

I like how the haunted mansion does it, once you choose the interactive queue, you don't have to merge with the direct entry line...isn't that right, or you merge right at the big holding area where you fill in all available space.

This whole interactive queue thing is getting out of hand.

VWL Mom
07-14-2014, 04:16 PM
. Then the question becomes ; does the open chain constitute a legitimate alternate pathway?

I would think so.

mechanic
07-14-2014, 04:22 PM
Well nothing to do about it now anyways. Just second guessing myself after the man started yelling. I'm not a pushy me first person.

EJS-Houston
07-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Well nothing to do about it now anyways. Just second guessing myself after the man started yelling. I'm not a pushy me first person.

It doesn't sound to me as if you did anything wrong at all. You just had the misfortune of encountering someone who chooses to go through the world regarding it in a very negative, self-centered light. Encountering that at a Disney park can be especially jarring when most of us are in a very positive mind-set. Best just to, to quote "Frozen," let it go. Don't let it bother you.

SBETigg
07-14-2014, 04:39 PM
In this case, my opinion is that you were not cutting and I would stop second guessing. If people are playing with interactive features, I think it's okay to go through. That, to me, is a sign that they are not in a hurry. They would rather stop and explore. And it would put more pressure on them for you to stand there waiting and expecting to catch up to the line. I think you did the right thing.

Some people are so willing to let little things upset them at Disney, even when it's none of their business really. Unfortunately.

KAJUNKING
07-14-2014, 04:47 PM
i would not worry about it. It doesnt sound like you did anything wrong

Main Street Jim
07-14-2014, 06:19 PM
It's the same situation in the stand-by queue at Space Mountain. if there's people playing the games, but a huge gap ahead of them while they're playing, I'm going around 'em. :/

texas211
07-14-2014, 07:57 PM
I liken line cutting to the rules of golf. Intent is a big part. So if I walk past or cut past those that are otherwise holding up the line b/c they are entertaining themselves, I do not consider this an issue b/c the intent was they were given the opportunity to advance but are declining.

You shouldn't cut in front of those who intend to advance, if given the opportunity.

Mendelson
07-15-2014, 08:43 AM
Whenever there is a single line with interactive elements (say, Winnie the Pooh) and we stop, I always tell people to go around me. Same goes for Space Ranger Spin, when we stop for a picture in front of the big Buzz. I don't want people to have the awkwardness of not knowing whether or not to pass and I don't want to feel rushed to keep the line moving.

But the psychology of being in a line a funny thing.

Unless you're about to get on the ride it makes no difference (again, in a single-queue situation) if you pass those people stopping for a picture or not. A gap opens in front of them, sure. Maybe the gap gets pretty big, as they take selfie after selfie. But then eventually they finish and then close the gap and you move up.

So you waited behind them in spot A for three minutes as they took a picture and then moved up all at once over the distance you would have slowly covered over that same three minutes if they hadn't stopped. It doesn't matter where you wait, but we all feel like we have to keep constantly moving while in a line, or else we're being stymied.

Cheshire_Girl
07-15-2014, 09:05 AM
This whole interactive queue thing is getting out of hand.

I completely agree with this. I understand that they are attempting to give people something to do during long wait times, however it also contributes to those long wait times in some cases...Some of the ques that have interactive elements are cool-you check it out, move on...others are just big time wasters and act as "shiny" distractions to people who should be moving along!
It's either win/win or lose/lose :) Me, if there is a gap and they are playing, I will nicely point out the line is moving, and if they don't move along, I go around them :)

joonyer
07-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Whenever there is a single line with interactive elements (say, Winnie the Pooh) and we stop, I always tell people to go around me. Same goes for Space Ranger Spin, when we stop for a picture in front of the big Buzz. I don't want people to have the awkwardness of not knowing whether or not to pass and I don't want to feel rushed to keep the line moving.

Unless you're about to get on the ride it makes no difference (again, in a single-queue situation) if you pass those people stopping for a picture or not. A gap opens in front of them, sure. Maybe the gap gets pretty big, as they take selfie after selfie. But then eventually they finish and then close the gap and you move up.

So you waited behind them in spot A for three minutes as they took a picture and then moved up all at once over the distance you would have slowly covered over that same three minutes if they hadn't stopped. It doesn't matter where you wait, but we all feel like we have to keep constantly moving while in a line, or else we're being stymied.

This same psychology applies to traffic jams, too. So many people feel they have to be bumper to bumper, even when traffic is barely moving, rather than leave a gap in between cars. Of course the big difference is that in a traffic jam, it's a safety issue, this leads to collisions and damage, which is not a problem in a pedestrian theme park attraction queues.

Terra
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
It's the same situation in the stand-by queue at Space Mountain. if there's people playing the games, but a huge gap ahead of them while they're playing, I'm going around 'em. :/

Yes this! If you want to stop and play then IMO you forfeit your spot "being held".

GoBlueLacheta
07-15-2014, 01:22 PM
One of those situations where you just have to utilize common sense. Usually there is a distinct choice that has to be made to be involved with an interactive queue, Pooh, HM, etc. as opposed to SM where I do give a brief benefit of the doubt if the people are just jamming buttons on each station and intend on moving forward.

Also, I will probably incorrectly blow by anyone on RNRC who likes to jam their hand up and down the beaded door and make a ridiculous amount of noise for no reason :thumbsup:

Capt_redshirt
07-16-2014, 12:11 PM

Im with you, If im taking pictures or playing with the interactive I dont care if someone cuts in front of me as long as they don't get into my shot.

As for the original post... sounds more like the guy was having a bad day and decided to take it out on you. if the CMs dont say anything then its not something to be concerned about

Jimmy Thick
07-16-2014, 12:55 PM
If people stop to use the interactive elements, I feel you should have the right to bypass them as you just don't know how long they will take amusing themselves.

Disney needs to iron this out, there should not be situations where people have to wonder if they did the right thing.

steamboat willy
07-16-2014, 03:19 PM
It doesn't sound to me as if you did anything wrong at all. You just had the misfortune of encountering someone who chooses to go through the world regarding it in a very negative, self-centered light. Encountering that at a Disney park can be especially jarring when most of us are in a very positive mind-set. Best just to, to quote "Frozen," let it go. Don't let it bother you.

:thumbsup:

texas211
07-16-2014, 04:56 PM
What's there to discuss or to know. Draw light sabers and dual it out.. Winner takes all.

May the force be with you.

Mendelson
07-17-2014, 09:16 AM
it's a safety issue, this leads to collisions and damage, which is not a problem in a pedestrian theme park attraction queues.

You clearly haven't been :bump: by the same people I have at Disney World.

Nut4DW
07-17-2014, 08:03 PM
I always feel like you should consider those behind you.....if you stop to do something and the line moves on, and you don't, then the people behind you should be able to go around. Once, I had a lady in front of me while waiting for RRC sit down on the floor and empty out her backpack. I waited to see if she was going to scoop it up and move forward but when she kept reorganizing her stuff, I went around her. She was mad but I felt she was being rude to expect everyone to wait on her.

Terra
07-18-2014, 08:53 AM
What's there to discuss or to know. Draw light sabers and dual it out.. Winner takes all.

May the force be with you.

:haha:

TheVBs
07-21-2014, 09:01 AM
I fully agree that if someone stops to use the interactive elements, people are right to go around them.