PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice (or maybe just encouragement)

DisneyKim22
07-13-2014, 09:50 PM
I really, really want to do the Princess 10K in Feb 2015. The problem is, I'm not a runner. I've seen posts here that say it is walkable, but you still have to keep the 16 minute pace. The last time I timed myself I was at about 17.5 minutes (down from 20 minutes). I've never been an athlete and struggled with my weight for my entire life. Over the last 2 years, I've lost 80 pounds. Although I have about 50 more to go, I have set my mind to do this in February. I just started one of those Couch to 5K training plans today.

Has anyone gone from zero athletic ability to a 5 or 10K? Do you think it can be done in 7 months? I can walk a 10K with no problem. I love to walk. I'm just worried about not meeting that 16 minute pace. I'm afraid of paying all that money only to then be picked up by the pace people and brought to the finish line. :blush:

BrerGnat
07-13-2014, 10:33 PM
7 months? Absolutely possible. C25K is a great tool. I will also highly recommend the Galloway method. In fact, I prefer that one. It is way easier on your body amd carries less chance of injury. You can mamage a 16 min mile VERY easily with a walk/run/walk program. Just take it SLOW, get some good running shoes, and listen to your body. Don't overdo it. You can do this! There is plenty of good advice here!

I do recommend starting with a 5k goal. It is too much pressure to go from zero to 10k. In addition, your ability to walk a 10k puts you well above "zero athletic ability" so now you just need to work on your timing/pace.

kneedle
07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
I was in your place a few years ago. I did the Half Marathon during Marathon Weekend and the Tower of Terror 10 miler (both in 2012) by trying to only walk. I barely kept ahead of the sweeper van and was stressed the whole time. After doing the 10 mile race in 2012 I decided I wouldn't do another race again until I was in better shape. I lost 65 pounds, started running and did the Princess Weekend 5k and 10k earlier this year and finished both races well ahead of the pace timing and was able to walk through the parks both days feeling great.

The 10K is definitely doable, but I would caution trying to only walk it. For me a 16 minute walk pace is a very brisk walk (I have a short stride).

When you train you might want to incorporate short amounts of running or jogging mixed with walking. I also agree that the Galloway Method is a great way to go. The couch to 5k is a good app, but the goal is to run the whole distance. I downloaded an interval timer on my iPhone and use that for my run / walk training.

Don't get discouraged when you start trying to run, I was only able to run 15 seconds at a time and now I can run a 5k with no walk breaks.

You might also want to consider investing in a FitBit. It can become additive making sure you reach your step goal for the day.

Hope my experience helps you and gives you the encouragement to go for it.

Strmchsr
07-14-2014, 09:19 AM
You can totally do it. 7 months is plenty of time to train to be able to keep under a 16 min pace. Just get on your training plan and stick with it and you'll be crossing the finish line in no time! :number1:

GMRO
07-14-2014, 11:07 AM
YES in the time you have you can do this. As others said be sure to not over do it and get some good shoes. And by GOOD I don't meant high $$$. Just be sure they are good quality and made for running/jogging. Some form of a monitor will be nice too so you can plot your improvements. I love the NIKE stuff...but there are PLENTY of types of armbands and waist hung monitors available that can track your workouts. If your "apple" you can use the Nike apps...they are very good.

I've not used the Couch to 5K app. I've been using Jeff Galloway's app since I began running a while back. Mixing the walk breaks in with your running I think is super. This app allows you to SET your ratio so you can set the walk duration and run duration and he tells you when to do each so you don't have to keep track. You can also set your music/playlist thru the app and it will play them while he coaches you and gives you the alerts of when to begin runs and walks.

KEY is to stay injury free. AND to start slow/conservative and don't push and over do it. I do think JG's app is very good. I use it to this day and I log between 100 and 130 miles a month. I still use his app for his cues of when to run and walk. I started at Run 2:30 & Walk 1 Min. Now I'm up to Run 4:00 & Walk 1 Min. I've played with higher ratios but for me its no fun to run if I'm huffing and puffing. The app will let you set your min/mile ratio so you can try to set under 16 min mile and it will pick or you can pick the run/walk time ratio. AND you don't start up hard run a full 5K. He has different days where you run different run lengths so you BUILD up to your first 5K event. It's 7 week with a few run days a week program. You just follow his program - its pretty simple.

NOTE - to me running the WHOLE run is not what I want to do. Funny - when I ran my first 5K which was all run - less JG's app - I did good at 28 mins 45 seconds. I was happy. Then I used his app with WALK breaks in for his program. At the end I did the same 5K with walk breaks and I CRUSHED my time to just over 24 mins. So to me it proved that it works.

YES - you can condition yourself and get your endurance UP to do this.

GOOD LUCK and let us know how it's going. NOW GET OUT THERE! ;) And be sure to ENJOY IT!

AgentC
07-14-2014, 12:17 PM
I think it is definitely doable. I did my first 5K at the WDW Marathon this past January. I used the C25K app. I started in September.

Previous to that I weight trained but really didn't do much cardio and I was a good 40 pounds overweight (and still am). I normally could only fit in 2 runs a week instead of the recommended 3 so the program took me longer than the planned timed but I was still running a 5K by December. I did my first 5K run/walking at a 15.18 pace and did the Princess 5K a month later at a 11.56. If I can do it, anyone can.

As other have said be careful not to push so hard that you get injured. At the beginning running even 30 seconds was a struggle for me. If anyone had told me I would be able to run 3 miles, I'd have laughed. :) Also don't stress about running the whole thing versus run/walk. You can be successful at both. However I do advise you set your eventual pace goal to 14. You can get by on the 5K with 16 because it is very hard to get swept, but it is possible to get swept on the 10K. Better to train for a faster pace and give your self some breathing room so you are not stressed.

So go for it! I signed up for my first 10K for marathon weekend. I just started my training too. :)

GMRO
07-14-2014, 12:33 PM
Good for you AgentC!!! Glad to hear your gonna train for a 10K. AWESOME-O!:number1:

cer
07-14-2014, 02:01 PM
I think that it is completely do-able.

What is critical is that you decide today.

Make sure you know when registration is (I believe it is tomorrow July 15 at noon EST) but don't take my word for it - make sure you confirm that.

It is imperative that you be online, with your credit card in hand immediately when registration opens up. This is no joke. I cannot stress this enough.

The 10K's are wildly popular and if you delay, it could be a matter of being locked out within the first hour of registration opening.

For the last race I registered for, (we were registering my kids for the 2014 Disneyland 10K and my husband and myself for the 2014 Dumbo Dare) - no joke, my husband brought home his work laptop so we would have two computers to use and both of us took off from work so we could be online as soon as it opened up.

You will need to know your shirt size, your anticipated time to complete the 10K, also if you want to purchase a commemorative pin or necklace, also you will be asked for an emergency contact. Just have the information ready.

(When I did my first 10K, I ran my first mile exactly one month prior. - My heart/cardio, was in excellent shape due to working out on the elliptical, but as far as mechanics go, I started running one month before my first 10K - it was not a Disney Race, but my time would have been just fine for Disney.)

Be encouraged!

I look forward to hearing your success story!

DisneyKim22
07-14-2014, 09:19 PM
WOW! Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate all the great advice, information, kind words and encouragement that you each offered! You're all amazing! I started using the C25K app on my phone yesterday, and there is another one I had been using called Map My Walk (they also have Map My Run). I may check out the Galloway one to see how it compares. While MMW doesn't really help with 5K or 10K training, it does keep track of how far you walk/run as well as split times. It allows me to go back and see timing improvements --which is how I know I started at 20 min and am currently at 17.5 min per mile. I can use both C25K and MMW together.

I do tend to beat myself up when I can't do something I want to do right away, so I'll keep coming back to re-read your posts often, and I'll try to keep in mind that the only thing keeping me from getting there is ... well... me! :)

Registration starts at noon tomorrow (Tuesday), and since I work from home on Tuesdays, I'll be in the right place to register.

Thanks again everyone!!!! You have NO idea how much your posts have helped me solidify my decision! :number1:

PirateLover
07-16-2014, 07:34 PM
My husband went from 0 to 10K in about 6-7 months, totally doable! He did the galloway run-walk method with me but he probably could've ran the whole thing too. As long as you believe in yourself and keep up with the training, anything is possible. There is nothing like a runDisney event. It's a great motivator. Just picture yourself at that finish line whenever you get down. Good luck! :mickey::thumbsup: