PDA

View Full Version : The joys of home ownership

Disney4us2
07-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Been kind of MIA..

Well I closed on our house the middle of June. Slowly getting things in order. My lease is not up until Sept and I now have 2 places to call home.

It's amazing that once the previous owners things are out of the house, you can really see all the flaws.

The kitchen cabinets are a mess and will have to be replaced. I didn't even want to just re-do them. Painting is in order for the whole inside. All new appliances have been ordered.

I know some really dislike (hate) Best Buy, but I got a fantastic deal there on a fridge, dishwasher and range. Everything was on sale and then I had a 10% coupon from Lowes. They honored that 10% to keep my business. I saved over $1000.00 total in sales/discounts. They didn't have to honor that coupon, but I am glad they did.

Tomorrow, I finalize the cabinets and get a few other items that I want to replace. Hopefully I will get a nice chunk off my purchase.

Hopefully we can move in by the end of the month. School starts on Aug 18th for my DD and I want to be in the house before she starts.

Moving in before the cabinets are in means living through a 2-3 week period that I won't have a sink and counter tops. UGH...not looking forward to that. The cabinets are custom and take about 4 weeks to be delivered. After the cabinets are in I can order the counter top, and that takes about 2 weeks.

Any ideas how to function without a sink and counter tops?

DizneyRox
07-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Sorry to hear about Worst Buy, I'm one of those people who would have rather paid the extra $1000 the give them business. Hopefully you don't need support, that's my issue with them..

If you didn't alter the layout there should be a good reason to not be able to reuse the old sink on top of the new cabinets. They should be able to save a section the temporarily place on top. Doesn't need to be pretty, just be able to drain... No garbage disposal, etc. Should also be able to lay a piece of plywood on an area for prep work, again just to make do.

Pirate Granny
07-11-2014, 07:02 AM
We used the basement wash tubs while kitchen was being remodeled. Bath tub will work in a pinch also.

BrerGnat
07-11-2014, 09:01 AM
We had to live through a kitchen rebuild in our old apartment. We used the bathroom sink and tub for washing stuff but mostly made do with eating take out and using disposable plates, cups, and flatware. It is do able for a couple weeks. Luckily you have another place to live. Is your apartment near the house at all? Maybe you can have meals over there?

buzznwoodysmom
07-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Glad you got such a great deal at Best Buy Marci, but I have to agree with DisneyRox, our issues have been with service and support after our purchases. Hopefully your appliances hold up and you won't need to bother with them later.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I bet it'll be so worth it in the end. Hope you enjoy your new home once you move in.