PDA

View Full Version : So glad I asked to speak to a CM Manager.

Terra
07-08-2014, 10:35 AM
A couple of weeks ago I made reservations to eat at Rainforest in DTD for lunch with my oldest son.

Well the morning arrives and we have a minor emergency of my son being sick with croup and needing a breathing treatment at the doctor. So before we left about 8:30 am I called to cancel the reservation.

The CM on the phone saidthey would have to charge my card for canelling the day of. $20 for both of us.

I understand the credit card holding spot. I really do. And I am always great about cancelling ahead of time. This is the first time I've had something come up where I had to cancel the day of.

I did explain but to no avail. I finally said, I did call to give the curteosy of letting you all know and I know the space will be filled easily.

But nope, they were still charging. I asked to speak with a manger at that point and had a short conversation about the situation. And I told them I understood but at the same time if I do call to actually cancel as oppose to just not showing up, especially in the event of something I couldn't control, that I should not be charged.

She agreed. I'm glad I wasn't charged!

But it did get me to thinking that of course if you just don't show up, I understand being charged. But if you do give them the curteosy call, I find it sad that they still want to charge.

What are your thoughts on the whole credit card holding?
I do it a lot, I don't mind. It's the first negative encounter I've had with it.

dnickels
07-08-2014, 11:50 AM
I can only speak to my experience and those of family/friends, but it seems much easier to get a reservation on short-medium notice now than it did before they implemented the charge so it seems to have achieved that desired outcome and I like that.

Frustrating I'm sure that you had to speak to a manager to get the charge removed, but the original employee might not have the authority to remove the charge or may be told in training to say they can't do it. In the end it was resolved properly and in all instances where I've heard of a sudden sickness coming up the party wasn't charged (provided they called and explained the situation of course).

I guess in summary it's doing what it was intended to do and I'm still 100% in favor of it.

SBETigg
07-08-2014, 12:34 PM
There's a grace period in which you will not be charged if you cancel but you were probably beyond that time. I totally understand them charging even if you cancel once you're past that period because otherwise, it would negate the benefits of having that system in place. People would be sure to cancel and not just fail to show up, yes, but at a certain point, it is too late for them to reopen that time slot to other diners.

I understand that stuff happens and sometimes you can't make it, and great that you had the courtesy to call. But at the same time, I think of all the people who really wanted to eat there at that time and maybe couldn't get a spot because it was booked. This system is working. And, it's the Rainforest Cafe. If you don't like the idea of being charged, it's a spot that you probably could have taken your chances, showed up, and still have been seated without an ADR. For places you don't really need the ADR, maybe you're better off not planning too far ahead instead of risking being charged in case you can't make it.

BrerGnat
07-08-2014, 12:44 PM
Glad it was resolved and you weren't charged. However, that is kind of the risk you take when you make any kind of advanced plans with young kids. I pretty much count on something happening that will mess with our plans. Seems to be the way of the universe for us. I probablu wouldn't make any ADRs thay require a CC hold if my kids were part of the party.

Terra
07-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Glad it was resolved and you weren't charged. However, that is kind of the risk you take when you make any kind of advanced plans with young kids. I pretty much count on something happening that will mess with our plans. Seems to be the way of the universe for us. I probablu wouldn't make any ADRs thay require a CC hold if my kids were part of the party.

Very true! Thankfully living in Florida I generally make ADR's 2-4 days ahead of time.

Oh yes I agree that the first CM was following protocol. I had not issue with her personally. I just knew asking for a manager would bring resolution either way.

I don't know I still have mixed thoughts. Perhaps even doing a within X amount of hours instead of 24 hours. Being so busy, the slot is easily filled.
I just *personally* think it's a bit crazy to still charge when someone did the right thing by calling. No call no shows, now that does tick me! lol

Terra
07-08-2014, 12:57 PM
There's a grace period in which you will not be charged if you cancel but you were probably beyond that time. I totally understand them charging even if you cancel once you're past that period because otherwise, it would negate the benefits of having that system in place. People would be sure to cancel and not just fail to show up, yes, but at a certain point, it is too late for them to reopen that time slot to other diners.

I understand that stuff happens and sometimes you can't make it, and great that you had the courtesy to call. But at the same time, I think of all the people who really wanted to eat there at that time and maybe couldn't get a spot because it was booked. This system is working. And, it's the Rainforest Cafe. If you don't like the idea of being charged, it's a spot that you probably could have taken your chances, showed up, and still have been seated without an ADR. For places you don't really need the ADR, maybe you're better off not planning too far ahead instead of risking being charged in case you can't make it.
I meant to mult-quote.

I only book 2-4 days out. But I do agree generally on places that you can still get into. I do that a lot with EPCOT. Rarely do I make ADRs there.
We show up, look at the board at GR and then make ADRs the day of. I've had great luck with that.