PDA

View Full Version : The Jimmy Thick reviews!!!

Jimmy Thick
07-06-2014, 12:34 PM
I get asked quite a bit through the PM function just what my favorite rides/attractions/restaurants are that I thought it would be a splendorous decision to just make one big mega-thread containing all this information for the public to enjoy. I also encourage others to display their preference towards the current review I may formulate.

But remember, these are my opinions towards anything theme park related, my opinion may differ from you, but while I will love to debate compelling arguments, chances are I and most others are set in their ways on how they feel and just because you may not agree with what is written does not mean an opinion is wrong.

That being said, we will use the Jimmy Thick grading scale.

5.0 A perfect attraction, a must see, a show stopper.

4.0-4.9 Attractions that should be planned around and experienced

3.0-3.9 Worth your time, but could be skipped for a better one.

2.0-2.9 If there is no wait you should see them, anything above a 10 minute wait is not worth it.

1.0-1.9 Not really interesting unless you're a diehard. Consider the resort pool instead.

0.0-0.9 Bottom of the barrel attractions. Not worthy of vacation time or dollars.

Ok lets start off with quite possibly the best attraction in the Orlando area.

Splash Mountain review.

Youtube is terrible for theme park attractions.

There, I said it. Why? Simple, people go out of their way to film things on their vacation and its become popular to film rides and attractions and post them on Youtube. On of the worst rides you can possibly ever film is Splash Mountain, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your camera possibly getting wet...

Splash Mountain is an experience, its beyond the normal "ride" people go on. This is simply put, what Disney does better than everyone in the theme park world, I have never seen it touched in terms of quality or involvement.

My recent ride confirmed that no matter how many times I have ridden Splash, I always see something new, and this ride never gets old. Could it be just the simple thought of the thrill of getting wet at the end? I doubt it, I feel its the whole package this marvelous attraction brings to the forefront, and makes waiting worth it.

I cannot recommend this attraction highly enough and for those who are reading these words and planning to go to Walt Disney World for the first time, I can only express my most extreme envy that you will be able to be a Splash Mountain virgin, because once you experience this, you'll never be the same.

People close to me consider me a theme park junkie, and like a meth addict chasing that first high, rides like this proves them that yeah, I probably am.

Grade 5.0

Jimmy Thick- Hooked.

yankeesfan123
07-06-2014, 02:19 PM
I get asked quite a bit through the PM function just what my favorite rides/attractions/restaurants are that I thought it would be a splendorous decision to just make one big mega-thread containing all this information for the public to enjoy. I also encourage others to display their preference towards the current review I may formulate.

But remember, these are my opinions towards anything theme park related, my opinion may differ from you, but while I will love to debate compelling arguments, chances are I and most others are set in their ways on how they feel and just because you may not agree with what is written does not mean an opinion is wrong.

That being said, we will use the Jimmy Thick grading scale.

5.0 A perfect attraction, a must see, a show stopper.

4.0-4.9 Attractions that should be planned around and experienced

3.0-3.9 Worth your time, but could be skipped for a better one.

2.0-2.9 If there is no wait you should see them, anything above a 10 minute wait is not worth it.

1.0-1.9 Not really interesting unless you're a diehard. Consider the resort pool instead.

0.0-0.9 Bottom of the barrel attractions. Not worthy of vacation time or dollars.

Ok lets start off with quite possibly the best attraction in the Orlando area.

Splash Mountain review.

Youtube is terrible for theme park attractions.

There, I said it. Why? Simple, people go out of their way to film things on their vacation and its become popular to film rides and attractions and post them on Youtube. On of the worst rides you can possibly ever film is Splash Mountain, and it has absolutely nothing to do with your camera possibly getting wet...

Splash Mountain is an experience, its beyond the normal "ride" people go on. This is simply put, what Disney does better than everyone in the theme park world, I have never seen it touched in terms of quality or involvement.

My recent ride confirmed that no matter how many times I have ridden Splash, I always see something new, and this ride never gets old. Could it be just the simple thought of the thrill of getting wet at the end? I doubt it, I feel its the whole package this marvelous attraction brings to the forefront, and makes waiting worth it.

I cannot recommend this attraction highly enough and for those who are reading these words and planning to go to Walt Disney World for the first time, I can only express my most extreme envy that you will be able to be a Splash Mountain virgin, because once you experience this, you'll never be the same.

People close to me consider me a theme park junkie, and like a meth addict chasing that first high, rides like this proves them that yeah, I probably am.

Grade 5.0

Jimmy Thick- Hooked.

You get asked that often what your favorite attractions are via PM? After posting (on this forum, at least) ONLY 12 times?!

I've never been asked even once! Man, I'm depressed now.

(Haven't seen you on the other forum lately, where'd you go?!)

RunDMV
07-07-2014, 07:21 AM
You get asked that often what your favorite attractions are via PM? After posting (on this forum, at least) ONLY 12 times?!

Maybe he PMs himself?:confused:

Jimmy Thick
07-07-2014, 11:42 AM

My PM box on the "other forum" was completely full, and still is, even though I no longer post there. I lurk, but until they clean up the place, and some of the things they do to members, I have no desire to post there ever again, its rather disgusting.

Plus that site is dying a slow death, a lot of fantastic posters want absolutely nothing to do with it anymore. And I don't blame them.

Jimmy Thick-Making fun of people's children is not my idea of a good time.

Jimmy Thick
07-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Lets get back to some more reviews, this time I'll do a restaurant and a Universal attraction.

O'hana review.

I make absolutely no bones about the fact O'Hana is my favorite place to eat on Disney property. This is the one place I have to tell every and anyone is a must place to eat.

Why is it so special?

I don't know. Its an all you can eat Hawaiian style barbecue with fantastic views, especially at night, of the Magic Kingdom. If Wishes is happening that night, they will lower the lights and pipe in the music, if you have a window seat facing MK, its a perfect view.

The food? Everything is good, somethings are great, but there is something for everyone.

The bad? Only thing that comes to mind is the restaurant, along with the resort, in my opinion still looks like it was built in the 70's. The recent refurb of California Grill proves Disney can do something cutting edge, and O'Hana does need a make over.

Just not when I visit.

Grade 4.8.

Now, lets do a Universal Orlando attraction.

Dragon Challenge-Islands of Adventure.

Iam really starting to hate the fact I have become a theme park veteran, because now I can recall the "old" days at will...

Back in the day when Universal Orlando first opened I remember Dueling Dragons, a rather lackluster coaster with one side being fire and the other side being ice. It was ok, but I vividly remember once you started the ride you got a strong slap in the face of what I call the "Six Flags Effect", meaning you got wonderful views of parking lots and backstage areas. Not what Iam looking for in my theme park experience personally. But Dueling Dragons had, one of the best queues in any modern theme park attraction ever. It was so long getting to the end was quite an accomplishment, its was like a Legend of Zelda quest come to life and your reward was not the hand of a princess but a ride on a mediocre coaster...

Fast forward to the new Potter expansion and Universal advertising a whole new land featuring the boy magician.

The minute I saw Dragon Challenge, I new Universal creative pulled a fast one on the general public.

See, its the exact same ride as Dueling Dragons without the awesome queue. They dismantled the best part, put a few little Potter touches in the queue now, and basically just repackaged a lack luster ride of old into new lack luster ride. They couldn't even spend the money to hide the parking lot you see right after launch, couldn't they have put up a few screens Universal relies on to tell stories?

This ride is a complete and utter disappointment, and the wait times it has, usually under 10 minutes proves the general public knows its a turkey. Universal went on the cheap with this one. Value engineering at its finest.

Grade 1.4

TheVBs
07-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Very fun idea! I agree with your comment about experiencing something instead of filming or photographing it. I'm often at war with my desire to just enjoy something, with my desire to get photographs of it. I rarely do a video though, and have never done one on a ride. Agree with your rating on Splash Mtn. too.

After seeing so many wonderful posts here about O'hana, I wanted us to experience it on our last trip. I was very pleased when an opening came up! I have to say, we weren't horribly impressed. The food was good, the service was good, but the atmosphere wasn't at all what we were expecting. We thought we'd really be wowed by everything and we weren't. I guess if I picked a rating from your scale, it would be about a 3.0 for us.

yankeesfan123
07-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Lets get back to some more reviews, this time I'll do a restaurant and a Universal attraction.

O'hana review.

I make absolutely no bones about the fact O'Hana is my favorite place to eat on Disney property. This is the one place I have to tell every and anyone is a must place to eat.

Why is it so special?

I don't know. Its an all you can eat Hawaiian style barbecue with fantastic views, especially at night, of the Magic Kingdom. If Wishes is happening that night, they will lower the lights and pipe in the music, if you have a window seat facing MK, its a perfect view.

The food? Everything is good, somethings are great, but there is something for everyone.

The bad? Only thing that comes to mind is the restaurant, along with the resort, in my opinion still looks like it was built in the 70's. The recent refurb of California Grill proves Disney can do something cutting edge, and O'Hana does need a make over.

Just not when I visit.

Grade 4.8.

Now, lets do a Universal Orlando attraction.

Dragon Challenge-Islands of Adventure.

Iam really starting to hate the fact I have become a theme park veteran, because now I can recall the "old" days at will...

Back in the day when Universal Orlando first opened I remember Dueling Dragons, a rather lackluster coaster with one side being fire and the other side being ice. It was ok, but I vividly remember once you started the ride you got a strong slap in the face of what I call the "Six Flags Effect", meaning you got wonderful views of parking lots and backstage areas. Not what Iam looking for in my theme park experience personally. But Dueling Dragons had, one of the best queues in any modern theme park attraction ever. It was so long getting to the end was quite an accomplishment, its was like a Legend of Zelda quest come to life and your reward was not the hand of a princess but a ride on a mediocre coaster...

Fast forward to the new Potter expansion and Universal advertising a whole new land featuring the boy magician.

The minute I saw Dragon Challenge, I new Universal creative pulled a fast one on the general public.

See, its the exact same ride as Dueling Dragons without the awesome queue. They dismantled the best part, put a few little Potter touches in the queue now, and basically just repackaged a lack luster ride of old into new lack luster ride. They couldn't even spend the money to hide the parking lot you see right after launch, couldn't they have put up a few screens Universal relies on to tell stories?

This ride is a complete and utter disappointment, and the wait times it has, usually under 10 minutes proves the general public knows its a turkey. Universal went on the cheap with this one. Value engineering at its finest.

Grade 1.4

There is a separate forum for Universal!

DonaldDuck1117
07-07-2014, 06:10 PM
The Dueling Dragon inverted coasters are great at what they are-Roller Coasters. Just because it doesn't tell a story doesn't mean it is a bad ride. You want to ride fun inverted coasters? Ride Dueling Dragons.

TheHD
07-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Splash Mountain review.

Grade 5.0

I completely agree. My favorite attraction at MK.

Sci Fi Dine In Fan
07-07-2014, 11:02 PM
This is a parody of something, right?

Jimmy Thick
07-08-2014, 03:13 AM
My son is among those in Orlando for the Potter opening tomorrow and he has sent me several videos of DA that are pretty impressive.

I would love to post them up but for some reason I can't get videos from my phone onto my PC, in other words, my Windows PC is not detecting my USB connection from my Galaxy S3. If anyone has had a issue like this and knows a solution, please post it, I would love to share the videos.

Jimmy Thick- Scouring the web for help...

yankeesfan123
07-08-2014, 06:53 AM
My son is among those in Orlando for the Potter opening tomorrow and he has sent me several videos of DA that are pretty impressive.

I would love to post them up but for some reason I can't get videos from my phone onto my PC, in other words, my Windows PC is not detecting my USB connection from my Galaxy S3. If anyone has had a issue like this and knows a solution, please post it, I would love to share the videos.

Jimmy Thick- Scouring the web for help...

Google or Samsung tech support may be better help than a Disney fan board.

dnickels
07-08-2014, 07:41 AM
This is a parody of something, right?

It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where a character of the same first name constantly refers to himself in the third person.

No, it's the old Attention-Victim "Beware the poster who puts an extra witty comment after his name" rule that dates back to Usenet. ;)

Or when they self proclaim themselves a 'Legend' in their sig line.

TheHD
07-08-2014, 09:24 PM
It reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where a character of the same first name constantly refers to himself in the third person.

His name was Jimmy. I believe it was the one where he slipped and fell on Kramer's drool, causing himself and George to lose their stock in basketball training shoes due to George having to carry-on the presentation with no "ups" whatsoever.

TheHD
07-08-2014, 09:30 PM
the same first name

I just realized you knew the name. Oh well, at least I provided more context.

baldburke
07-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Oh, it's a scene man!

buzznwoodysmom
07-12-2014, 12:24 PM

My thoughts exactly!!!!

And so far, other than Ohana (which is really a love or it hate place it seems) I personally haven't agreed with a single one of his "ranks".

baldburke
08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Is this guy still reviewing? He was the best!

ransam
08-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Keep going I like the reviews.

I agree with O'hana. It's so good.

yankeesfan123
08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Maybe we should all PM him again to ask his opinions?

Yankees fan - Forum Legend

kbean
08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Hey Yannkeesfan, I thought there could be only one Forum Legend!!!

Mrs Bus Driver
08-10-2014, 01:54 PM
JimmyThick welcom to intercot. I am sorry if things didn't work out for you on another board. Your reviews/opinions are very welcome here. I agree Splash is a 5, I also enjoy Ohana's though DD did not. Don't have an opinion on Dueling Dragons as I have only been to Universal in Ca and its been a few years. Would like to read your opinions on other WDW rides. :mickey:

Terra
08-10-2014, 04:00 PM
Welcome! :pixie:

This thread is highly entertaining! :)

Makes me excited that in 19 days we have our WDW vacation!

And O'Hana.....YUM....fav breakfast place every!

Goes4FastPass
08-11-2014, 02:17 PM
The Jimmy Thick Reviews remind us, once again, that opinions are like belly buttons: Everyone has one and they serve no useful purpose, except perhaps gathering lint.

MNNHFLTX
08-11-2014, 02:30 PM
The Jimmy Thick Reviews remind us, once again, that opinions are like belly buttons: Everyone has one and they serve no useful purpose, except perhaps gathering lint.I have to disagree with this. Why else would we all be on INTERCOT, sharing our opinions? Discussion (and opinions) are at the heart of the boards, as long as it is done in a civil manner.

Gator
08-11-2014, 03:19 PM
My thoughts exactly!!!!

And so far, other than Ohana (which is really a love or it hate place it seems) I personally haven't agreed with a single one of his "ranks".

The Gravitron at our Stanislaus County fair is a lot of fun, but it's been done before. If they queue were a little more than dead grass, it would be the best fair attraction ever! 4.5

Gator - Legendary Forum Legend in this Forum:cool:

Jimmy Thick
08-28-2014, 03:55 AM
The crowd gathers for the main attraction to appear...

Suddenly a large, muscular bronzed man struts upon the forum with a glistening body while holding a microphone...

The crowd erupts, yes, its him...

" So, who has missed me?"

The crowd roars like hungry, caged lions..

"Ok, lets get this started my little Jimmy Fans, when I say Jimmy, you say Thick..."

The crowd braces itself in anticipation...

" Jimmy!!!"

THICK

"JIMMY!!!"

THICK!!!

"JIMMY!!!"

THICK!!!

And with that, I shall return for a bit, albeit a small sample size. As Iam finishing up a novel, my time is indeed precious, but I do have some time to entertain the masses of this forum once again.

Reviews?

You betcha.

Now, I have been know to be a true Disney homer. I don't hide this fact. But I have been asked if there are some things about WDW I really don't like. When, one day I sat down like a stone and Christian Pondered that question...

I said to myself, and now imagine a young David Bowie saying this...

James, do you really dislike anything at Disney World?

Well Ziggy, I do have a few things I don't really care for, and I promise to explore and pursue these realms of thought, but when asked, the first thing that comes to mind is...

San Angel Inn at Epcot.

Now first off, the margaritas they sell outside the Mexican pavilion are absolute garbage. I would rather drink Florida water. But the food inside the pavilion, at San Angel, is the worst food on property.

I have eaten there three times, I have a sense of duty to my theme park experience and yes indeed, sometimes a restaurant can have a bad day and you can have a bad meal.

It happens.

Three times though, and I have safely crossed off the San Angel Inn of my permanent " I gotta eat there" checklist.

I vividly remember eating a beef tip dish that was so disgusting I took one bite and almost lost the remnants of a forgetful Disney breakfast consumed several hours earlier. Maybe I was sick, I dunno, but I do know never again, not for me.

I can safely assure the masses here, you will not be fighting with me for a ADR for the place.

Grade 0.5

Jimmy Thick- More of the bad coming...

Mrs Bus Driver
08-28-2014, 07:18 AM
Good morning Jimmy. I have to ask, how long has that tongue been stuck in your cheek? :mickey:

#1donaldfan
08-28-2014, 12:28 PM
I have to disagree with this. Why else would we all be on INTERCOT, sharing our opinions? Discussion (and opinions) are at the heart of the boards, as long as it is done in a civil manner.

That's why I'm here, to get opinions and advice to help me formulate my next trip. Like mentioned, the only useless thing ever found within these boards is negativity......:thumbsup:

yankeesfan123
08-28-2014, 02:14 PM
That's why I'm here, to get opinions and advice to help me formulate my next trip. Like mentioned, the only useless thing ever found within these boards is negativity......:thumbsup:

Because, unfortunately, some people only try to stir up trouble.

And some are very good at it.

Punchdrunk
09-09-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure I understand what's going on with this thread. Is it an opinion thread or creative writing thread?:bolt::bolt:

Jimmy Thick
09-19-2014, 04:24 AM
Quick update.

Jimmy will be heading to WDW on November 9-23. Still up for Kimono's Evan?

:secret:

Jimmy Thick- Contemporary for me and mine!!!

baldburke
10-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Go Jimmy! Go Jimmy! It's your birthday...go Jimmy!

Can't wait to get the updates Jimmy! :number1:

Jimmy Thick
10-02-2014, 03:50 AM
Time...Time...Time...See what's become of me...

Greetings and salutations my fellow Disney fanatics as once again I return to attempt to inform, enlighten and perhaps have a laugh or two with what is know as the Jimmy Thick Reviews.

Without further fanfare and pageantry, lets get a rollin'.

Space Mountain
Magic Kingdom.

Ah, for the days of my youth where I was made of steel and knew no pain...

Unfortunately, as I get older, now in my 40's, rides like Space Mountain no longer appeal to me. Don't get me wrong, for what it is, a dark indoor coaster with some awesome, yet dated, effects, the ride is still a marvel of Disney old school Imagineering.

Its just so rough now, I feel like I could get whiplash.

I admit, I haven't rode the ride in over a year, could they have tightened it up? I don't know to be honest, so maybe another member here can set me straight, but the last time I did, I really said to myself, I don't think I need this in my mental vacation queue.

When I was young, not only did see the place where I used to live, I also loved this ride, love the waiting and anticipation.

Now?

Buzz Lightyear for me baby.

How about a dining review?

Teppan Edo
Epcot/ World Showcase

I live close to a Grade A hibachi restaurant. I usually eat there a few times every month to curb my desire for succulent Japanese offerings, or I really should say American style Japanese offering...

Teppan Edo is basically a hibachi restaurant, and its a good one. If you have been to a Benihana's, you should know the show, the routine.

But...

What makes Teppan special is the Disney magic we all know and love so well.

If, and this is a big if, you get the right chef to cook your meal, you can have a little comedy show right in front of you. One time we had this guy who was doing crazy knife stunts, every time he put something on the grill he threw a lemon in the air and cut it. He wasted like 10 lemons, but the whole act was unforgettable. Another chef came to "help" him and they then started cutting shrimp and as one would cut the other would toss the shrimp onto peoples plates, and when he tossed it, the shrimps were not all over the plates, they all bunched with the other shrimp. It was hilarious and impressive. I admit, I have not seen those guys since at Teppan, but they left me a life long memory.

How is the food?

Its good. I find the portions to be a little on the small side compared to other hibachi establishments I frequent, but I can honestly say I have never had a bad meal. To this day, I eat there once every trip.

If you have never experienced a hibachi style meal, give this place a try.

And with that, this is Jimmy Thick, signing off for a spell.

Jimmy Thick- Hopefully not that long...

Jimmy Thick
11-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Quick update.

Leaving tomorrow for WDW and Iam getting that, "Its hard to sleep syndrome". For the first time ever, I think Iam going to do some videos from the resort and post them in this thread as time allows. I do remember WDW wifi upload rates are pretty terrible so bear with me if I don't find them acceptable and just wait until I get back. But I promise to give them old college try.

First thing Iam hitting is the final days of Food and Wine.

Everything will be posted in this thread.

Till we meet again my friends...

baldburke
11-12-2014, 12:41 PM
Jimmy will be heading to WDW on November 9-23.

Two weeks...that's an awesome stay! Can't wait for the updates!

SBETigg
11-12-2014, 03:20 PM
I have to agree with you, Jimmy Thick. Space Mountain is harder on me now that I'm older. I always ride it anyway, but it's a little less fun and a little more painful every year. Darn!

Enjoy your trip!

MissMaryPoppins
11-23-2014, 04:07 AM
The Jimmy Thick Reviews remind us, once again, that opinions are like belly buttons: Everyone has one and they serve no useful purpose, except perhaps gathering lint.

I just have to tell you, you're comments really crack me up!

Jimmy Thick
12-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to everyone here at Intercot.

Now that my second novel is finished, I should have a little more time to be a more active contributor to this site. Someone has been reading this thread...

And discuss my last trip to WDW/Universal...