PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Colleges?

Jeri
07-05-2014, 06:33 PM
My oldest son is going to be a senior in high school this fall, and he wants to be an Electrical Engineer.
He has his sights set on only 3 schools.
1. Florida Institute of Technology
2. Embry- Riddle
3. Rose-Hulman

We did a walking tour last fall of FIT, and he really liked the small campus. He is looking at just these 3 because, They are smaller schools.
A few things about my son he has Aspergers & sever anxiety, so a smaller school is exactly what he needs. He has looked at other schools, but he just doesn't want the big schools.

Does anyone have a child that has gone to any of these 3 schools?
Can you offer any advice, good or bad about them?
From a parents prospective what did you think of them?
We will be doing tours at all 3, Rose-Hulman in 2 weeks, and the other 2 in November.

Thanks for any help.

HollyB
07-07-2014, 10:43 PM
A very good friend is a Rose-Hulman graduate and the daughter of a friend applied, was accepted, but chose U of I. The graduate is still active with Rose and speaks highly of it. When he attended it was still all men (the school is now co-ed), but he made lifelong friendships and feels like he got an excellent education. He has worked in engineering jobs for more than 30 years now. The daughter of a friend visited the school in 2013 and liked it well enough, but felt the campus was too small for her tastes. She thought the curriculum would be good for what she wanted, but ultimately the U of I was a better fit. Part of her reasoning is that neither engineering school has many females, but at least there are females in other areas at the U of I.

Hope that helps.

Holly

Arielfan98
07-08-2014, 01:21 AM
I don't have any advice but would like to wish your son best of luck with the college process. I myself will be a senior and am going through it too. Good luck :thumbsup:

Beach Club Babe
07-08-2014, 09:46 AM
My daughter graduated from FIT in 2012. Imalismom, Gale, has a daughter at FIT right now. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Scott C
07-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Both of my sons are Rose Hulman Graduates. My youngest just graduated in May. They wanted a smaller school size. Rose really seems to work with the kids to succeed, where many engineering schools seem to just try to weed out the weaker students. I can't say enough good things about the school, and yes they both had multiple job offers prior to graduation.

Any questions -- just ask

Scott C

Jeri
07-21-2014, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the answers. We toured Rose-Hulman last Friday, and are very impressed. Right now we are making a list of questions for you Scott C & may have some for your friend Holly if that would be OK?
We will tour FIT & Embry-Riddle in November. So we will have questions before & after for the ones with experience there as well.

Scott C
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
I will be glad to help. Email sent to you.

Thanks
Scott C

AZ Disney
07-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I do not have anything to share from a parent perspective, but I do have experience with ER students/graduates professionally. They are highly sought after in the Phoenix Avionics Industry. My company gives a 5K scholarship to a senior each year. We have about 5 interns from ER currently working here.

The Prescott area of AZ is also a very nice part of AZ. It's in the high country with a bit more of a four season climate. It's also a small town.