PDA

View Full Version : Magic Bands and an Infant

cspenc28
07-03-2014, 08:02 AM
So, first off, I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, if not, I'm sorry. Second, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it when I searched...
My question: DH and I are taking DS for his first birthday. When we made the reservations, obviously I included him, and on all our ADRs I've included him.
He gets a Magic Band, but I'm curious as to why? There is no ticket linked to it, as he doesn't need a ticket, he won't have any FP+, because he doesn't have a ticket. He's not going to charge anything back to the room, nor will he need to use it as a room key...so what exactly is the purpose?
I honestly can't see him keeping it on. I've read about putting it on an infant's ankle, but he plays with his feet all the time.
We will have the Memory Maker, so I'm assuming they could scan his band when a picture is taken, but other than that I can't figure out why he needs one.
Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!:mickey:

LVT
07-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Can you get fast passes for him, for baby swap?

cspenc28
07-03-2014, 08:52 AM
From what I understand, he can't get a fastpass because there is no ticket associated with his magic band. I could be completely wrong, if so, someone please correct me. The baby swap is more for my husband and I, since DS can't ride certain rides.

amberb78
07-03-2014, 10:11 AM
We just got back from a trip with our 2 year old. She got a magic band, but wasn't required to do anything with it. I'm not even sure it would have worked for photos. I think it was mostly so she wouldn't feel left out. She liked wearing it (and wore it for a few days after our trip). There were quite a few times that she "scanned" hers too, just to be like her big brothers. There were also several days that she didn't wear hers at all. I'm not sure I'd even offer it to a 1 year old since he doesn't need it.

cspenc28
07-03-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks! We'll probably bring it along, just for fun, but I'm glad it really doesn't matter if he doesn't wear it. Because honestly, he refuses to wear sunglasses or hats, so I doubt the magic band will be much of a hit for him.

Butters
07-03-2014, 11:12 PM
Not that you would "lose" a 1 year old, but I'm sure they would come in handy for a 2 year old who wandered away, the CM would scan the bracelet and the child would be back with mom and dad in no time.

Jeri
07-05-2014, 05:02 PM
When we took my 2 yr old last fall she got a Magic Band. I asked them about it and they said it was basically so she would not feel left out. The resort staff told us it would open our room door as well, and it did. She would not leave it on, but I carried it with us anyway.
So, no he doesn't have to wear it, it really is just a souvenir from your trip.

Eric87
07-06-2014, 11:15 AM
Just got back with a 3 week old, and even he had his first magic band. Never wore it, just a souvenir.