PDA

View Full Version : Epcot Mysterious location on Google Earth

jclightchasr
07-01-2014, 04:40 PM
I was looking at Epcot on Google Earth and came across a Mystery that maybe someone will have an answer to: Centered between the French and Moroccan Pavilions and just outside the perimeter of guest accessibility, appears to a be a grouping of small houses closely packed together. There is even a picture located slightly to the right of this area entitled "Disney Glamour" which depicts a Small European style dwelling with some people in the background, one of which seems to be in "Cast Member" attire for one of the WS countries. Is this area "housing" for Cast Members from other Nations? If not what is it?

BrerGnat
07-01-2014, 04:56 PM
I think those are the Food and Wine (and Flower and Garden) Festival booths, judging by the size of them and the colorful roofs. They have to store them somewhere when they are not being used. They are definitely NOT CM "housing."

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2014, 05:09 PM
I believe Nat is right... They appear to be the booths for the Food and Wine Festival... Not housing for CMs...

Really want an Epcot mystery? Try to find what some people believe is the mystery monorail footer...

Main Street Jim
07-01-2014, 05:24 PM
I believe Nat is right... They appear to be the booths for the Food and Wine Festival... Not housing for CMs...

Really want an Epcot mystery? Try to find what some people believe is the mystery monorail footer......and the PeopleMover pylons in Future World...and the 20K sub....and the Jungle Cruise boat...and why they *really* closed and tore down Horizons...

TheHD
07-01-2014, 08:09 PM
...and the PeopleMover pylons in Future World...and the 20K sub....and the Jungle Cruise boat...and why they *really* closed and tore down Horizons...

Is there a book on this stuff somewhere? Sounds interesting to say the least...

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2014, 10:10 PM
...and the PeopleMover pylons in Future World...and the 20K sub....and the Jungle Cruise boat...and why they *really* closed and tore down Horizons...

Well, the 20K sub was seen in aerial photos, not sure if it can still be seen anymore... Why they torn down Horizons? Well, it wasn't cause of a sink hole.. That is internet lore, not based on reality... Where was the Jungle Cruise boat? And PeopleMover pylons in Future World? First I heard of that one... :)

yankeesfan123
07-01-2014, 10:32 PM
Well, the 20K sub was seen in aerial photos, not sure if it can still be seen anymore... Why they torn down Horizons? Well, it wasn't cause of a sink hole.. That is internet lore, not based on reality... Where was the Jungle Cruise boat? And PeopleMover pylons in Future World? First I heard of that one... :)

Wasn't a peoplemover supposed to go through the top floor of communicore initially?

DizneyFreak2002
07-01-2014, 10:55 PM
Wasn't a peoplemover supposed to go through the top floor of communicore initially?
Honestly, I don't know... And I have a book on the history of Epcot... Maybe I need to check it out again and see if they mention anything in there....

yankeesfan123
07-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Well it's all over reputable sites online.. I'm gonna go with "true" on that one.

It would be awesome if that little village was not actual good and wine trucks but instead housing for the elderly IASW dolls.

DizneyFreak2002
07-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Well it's all over reputable sites online.. I'm gonna go with "true" on that one.

It would be awesome if that little village was not actual good and wine trucks but instead housing for the elderly IASW dolls.

Guess I really do need to look into that... Honestly, first I heard about it... I'll check it out, thanks...

vallerii
07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
No kidding, the sinkhole was just a made up story?

That was REALLY a stupid tear-down then. The sink hole theory always made me feel better about Horizons being gone.

yankeesfan123
07-07-2014, 06:51 PM
No kidding, the sinkhole was just a made up story?

That was REALLY a stupid tear-down then. The sink hole theory always made me feel better about Horizons being gone.

Sinkhole story I heard on a reputable podcast, and have read on a popular and reputable fan site as well, over 5 years ago:

The Odyssey was supposed to be built in between The Living Seas and Communicore (attached to Communicore?). A sinkhole occurred, so they had to come up with alternative plans so they moved the restaurant to its current, out of the way location.

Apparently, old concept art work shows this.

DizneyFreak2002
07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
That lake by Odyssey: sinkhole... Sinkhole over by Horizons? Not so much... At least not the real reason Horizons was torn down...

Main Street Jim
07-07-2014, 07:12 PM
The story I got on Horizons was the fact the heavy ride vehicles, after so many years hanging from the track in the ceiling of the nearly wide-open structure, were actually weighing down the track, pulling it out of its support structure. With nearly forty feet of open space between the actual top level of the ride and the floor plan, the ride vehicles could have had a tendency to literally fall off of their ride track, or take the track out of the ceiling with it.

This was the story that I got.

As for the PeopleMover pylons, they're *there* - in the breezeways between the two Innoventions East and West (like you're going toward Mission: Space or The Land). The PeopleMover was to have transported guests around Future World, much like in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom.

DizneyFreak2002
07-07-2014, 07:19 PM
The story I got on Horizons was the fact the heavy ride vehicles, after so many years hanging from the track in the ceiling of the nearly wide-open structure, were actually weighing down the track, pulling it out of its support structure. With nearly forty feet of open space between the actual top level of the ride and the floor plan, the ride vehicles could have had a tendency to literally fall off of their ride track, or take the track out of the ceiling with it.

That is my understanding... or at least something close... More building structure than sinkhole issue...

As for the PeopleMover pylons, they're *there* - in the breezeways between the two Innoventions East and West (like you're going toward Mission: Space or The Land). The PeopleMover was to have transported guests around Future World, much like in Tomorrowland in the Magic Kingdom.

Interesting... Have to take note next time... Are they out in the open or under the covering?