PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Advice Appreciated!

mickeys_princess_mom
06-30-2014, 10:04 PM
I've asked here before I bought this car, and now I'm asking again. It's neat that out of all the places I could seek answers, I feel like I trust the opinions of my Disney people. :mickey:
Short version: Wreck, hit hard from behind in Equinox, thankful beyond measure that my grandbabies were perfect, but I continue to have neck and back pain. Vehicle had considerable damage, and was 'fixed', but still has some quirks. Want to trade it in for several reasons. Was offered good deal, surprisingly. Only a year old. New Equinox? Maybe. Would love a little more room for my babies. Up for anything. Outside the Chevy box is fine. Came to conclusion today those seats are not comfy shape for my back and shoulders. Sort of caves around, little support. Need gas mileage to be decent--I'm retired. Thoughts, please?....Considering driving for next Disney trip. Would love to make a move before then.
:drive: :wave:

SBETigg
07-01-2014, 09:38 AM
When I was shopping around, I was looking for comfort. I found Nissans to be very comfortable for me. The seats fit me right and you don't feel like you're sitting on a slab (as I do in Hondas). I have a Nissan Rogue and I love it. Very comfortable front and back seats. When my adult kids are in the back seats, they feel like they have a lot of room, though it isn't a huge vehicle, and I have decent space in back for groceries and other things. If you need even more space, maybe a Murano. And it's great on gas! I've had my Rogue since 2011 and I love it.

If you need more space for kids and things inside, though, I hate to say it... you might want to look at some minivans. They usually get good mileage and have lots of room for carting people around.

Good luck with the shopping! I hope you find something that fits you well.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Thank you so much! I will check these out! Yes, sigh, I've even thought about the minivan thing. :secret: Actually looked at some online. I haven't seen one that had an appeal more than an SUV, pricewise or gaswise, so I'm not sure about that.
I am only interested in going bigger if it offers more room for my babies. And today my DH and I discussed I may just need to go with something that drinks a little gas in order to make everybody comfy. We don't often take long driving trips, so I think it might be the thing to do.
Seat comfort is def going to be a big issue. I've been in the car running here and there the last two days, and neck is killing me. This is just not the right vehicle for me now. Apparently there is some disc degeneration that has been going on, and I can expect to have some dealings with that in the future.
I appreciate your input very much!
:thanks: :wave:

disney obsessed
07-01-2014, 10:46 PM
Hi. I drive a bmw x1. It is their smallest suv. Smaller than a van and bigger than a station wagon. Good gas milage and FUN to drive. I never thought a four cylinder could move so quickly! They are also reasonably priced, starting around 32,000 and up.
Love mine.

magicofdisney
07-02-2014, 09:39 AM
I haven't test driven it yet, but my newest obsession is the Ford Explorer. Depending on the model, it will seat up to 7. If you test drive for some reason, let me know how you like it. In general I love Fords. It's the most common make we've had in our family.

I don't know about your budget, but Volvo's ROCK. With 4 kids, Volvo is outside our price range right now. That may be an empty nest vehicle for me. :)

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Hi. I drive a bmw x1. It is their smallest suv. Smaller than a van and bigger than a station wagon. Good gas milage and FUN to drive. I never thought a four cylinder could move so quickly! They are also reasonably priced, starting around 32,000 and up.
Love mine.

Thanks! I am fine with a four cylinder. Just looking for lots of room now.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2014, 10:00 AM
I haven't test driven it yet, but my newest obsession is the Ford Explorer. Depending on the model, it will seat up to 7. If you test drive for some reason, let me know how you like it. In general I love Fords. It's the most common make we've had in our family.

I don't know about your budget, but Volvo's ROCK. With 4 kids, Volvo is outside our price range right now. That may be an empty nest vehicle for me. :)

Will definitely check into this one! Have been looking at them online. I'll let you know if we test it soon. My nest is quite full again! ;) Glad to have my grandbabies with me during the days. Sweet times!

buzznwoodysmom
07-02-2014, 10:13 AM
A few years ago I went from a Ford Expedition to a GMC Acadia. I wanted to downsize a bit, but was worried it would feel cramped inside. The Acadia is actually much more comfortable than the Expedition. There is obvious less headroom, but leg room is the same or better. The seats are also much more comfortable.

My Expedition seated 8, and my Acadia only seats 7. I went with bucket seats in the middle row to give my kids each their own comfy seat. We travel often, and as the kids get older they want more personal space and comfort. Otherwise, you can get a bench seat in the middle row and still seat 8 in the Acadia. I will say this, the back row bench seems to be much smaller than the Expedition, but my kids claim its the same.

I do have much more storage room behind the back row than I did in the Expedition, which makes packing for vacation so much easier.

I was looking into the Acadia and the Explorer when I purchased this vehicle. We have had two Ford SUVs that lasted us till almost 200,000 miles so I was leaning towards the Explorer. However, the Acadia felt so much more roomy inside. The Explorer felt small and cramped compared to my Expedition. The interior of the Acadia was just nicer overall.

I will caution tho, I have had several problems with my Acadia that we never had with our Fords. My SIL has the same model and year Acadia that I have and she hasn't had any issues at all, so maybe it's just my car.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2014, 02:07 PM
A few years ago I went from a Ford Expedition to a GMC Acadia. I wanted to downsize a bit, but was worried it would feel cramped inside. The Acadia is actually much more comfortable than the Expedition. There is obvious less headroom, but leg room is the same or better. The seats are also much more comfortable.

My Expedition seated 8, and my Acadia only seats 7. I went with bucket seats in the middle row to give my kids each their own comfy seat. We travel often, and as the kids get older they want more personal space and comfort. Otherwise, you can get a bench seat in the middle row and still seat 8 in the Acadia. I will say this, the back row bench seems to be much smaller than the Expedition, but my kids claim its the same.

I do have much more storage room behind the back row than I did in the Expedition, which makes packing for vacation so much easier.

I was looking into the Acadia and the Explorer when I purchased this vehicle. We have had two Ford SUVs that lasted us till almost 200,000 miles so I was leaning towards the Explorer. However, the Acadia felt so much more roomy inside. The Explorer felt small and cramped compared to my Expedition. The interior of the Acadia was just nicer overall.

I will caution tho, I have had several problems with my Acadia that we never had with our Fords. My SIL has the same model and year Acadia that I have and she hasn't had any issues at all, so maybe it's just my car.

I sure appreciate all these posts! You're helping me refine this search! My DH is 6'8", so I wonder if the reduced headroom in the Acadia would be an issue....I will be the main driver, but he will be driving with us some...

:thanks:

CanadianWDWFan
07-02-2014, 03:44 PM
We just recently bought the Chevy Traverse to replace a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. The Traverse is same model type as the Acadia just with the Chevy badge. My D16 who is 6'5" fits comfortably in the middle row. We find that the Traverse has a lot more room than the Trailblazer or any other vehicle we looked at out there. We checked most of the makers from Toyota to Nissan through Ford and found for us the Traverse has the room and comfort we needed. We have the bench in the middle so we can seat 8 but the back row would need to be "normal" :) sized folk. We are all tall so head room for us is a plus. Since the mileage is better than our old Trailblazer we are happy with fuel consumption.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2014, 06:09 PM
We just recently bought the Chevy Traverse to replace a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer. The Traverse is same model type as the Acadia just with the Chevy badge. My D16 who is 6'5" fits comfortably in the middle row. We find that the Traverse has a lot more room than the Trailblazer or any other vehicle we looked at out there. We checked most of the makers from Toyota to Nissan through Ford and found for us the Traverse has the room and comfort we needed. We have the bench in the middle so we can seat 8 but the back row would need to be "normal" :) sized folk. We are all tall so head room for us is a plus. Since the mileage is better than our old Trailblazer we are happy with fuel consumption.

This is a HUGE help!!!!! Thank you so much!!! Looking hard at the Traverse! Good to know how it compares. Can the middle seat be moved back? Both of these grandbabies will need the leg room, too, it looks like! How about seat comfort? Mostly concerned with upper back area...

CanadianWDWFan
07-02-2014, 07:25 PM
The middle seat does move back, we have it in the rear most position right now. With our son in the back he really appreciates the leg room. Even our DS10 loves the leg room he has. He is taller than his older brother at the same age! My DW LOVED her Trailblazer and was upset when we needed to replace it, but she has said that the Traverse is an acceptable replacement. We tried a bunch of others like I said but we came back to the Traverse for leg/head room, cargo space and comfort. I should also mention that we have two large dogs and they have lots of room to lounge about in the back (with the rear seat down). With my DW and I both being tall upper back comfort is a must. She likes how her back and shoulders are supported as well as headrest placement .

BraddyB
07-02-2014, 07:57 PM
Since you don't have your location, I am not sure if you need AWD or not. I am very happy with my Subaru Forester, but its just my wife and I, at the moment, down the road hoping it's atleast one more.

A couple of my friends have Subaru Outbacks and love them. Two of them have two kids each (4 - 6ish), and one has one child (2.5 year old range) They have no problem loading it with everything they need for vacation. They have AWD, sit higher than a car, and told they get pretty good gas mileage on the highway.

mickeys_princess_mom
07-02-2014, 09:30 PM
The middle seat does move back, we have it in the rear most position right now. With our son in the back he really appreciates the leg room. Even our DS10 loves the leg room he has. He is taller than his older brother at the same age! My DW LOVED her Trailblazer and was upset when we needed to replace it, but she has said that the Traverse is an acceptable replacement. We tried a bunch of others like I said but we came back to the Traverse for leg/head room, cargo space and comfort. I should also mention that we have two large dogs and they have lots of room to lounge about in the back (with the rear seat down). With my DW and I both being tall upper back comfort is a must. She likes how her back and shoulders are supported as well as headrest placement .

This one is really starting to sound like it would be just perfect! I appreciate your very helpful comments!!!
:thanks:

mickeys_princess_mom
08-03-2014, 10:53 PM
And we bought a Traverse last night!!! After much thought, research and looking we felt like it was the best choice, and I love it!!!!! Going to break it in right this week, and take it to the Magic!!!! Have dubbed it the Mermaid, since it's Atlantis Blue. Gonna be our Magical Express!
:clappy: :dolphin:

SBETigg
08-04-2014, 10:00 AM
And we bought a Traverse last night!!! After much thought, research and looking we felt like it was the best choice, and I love it!!!!! Going to break it in right this week, and take it to the Magic!!!! Have dubbed it the Mermaid, since it's Atlantis Blue. Gonna be our Magical Express!
:clappy: :dolphin:

Congratulations! Enjoy. :)