PDA

View Full Version : Are there any "slow times" anymore?

jclightchasr
06-26-2014, 05:43 PM
With year round schools and international holidays are there really any times that still have significantly low attendance during which "walking on" most rides would occur?

Fangorn
06-26-2014, 06:47 PM
Not really.

There are slow-ER times, and you may still find a few days here and there when things are generally walk-on, but the days when you could generally say January and September were "slow" are pretty much gone.

That said, the first couple of weeks of January (after the Holidays) are pretty light, as are the first couple of weeks of December. At least that's been our experience. Can't say everything was a walk-on, but a 5 minute wait for Splash Mountain is dang close!

Steve

savafan
06-26-2014, 07:03 PM
We've been the 2nd week of November for the last 2 years (going 1st week this year) and the wait times haven't been terrible. The longest wait we had in line between both years was around 45 minutes.

MargaretMessler
06-26-2014, 08:11 PM
All depends on how loosely you define "walk on". Personally, if I can get on everything in the park with a 15 minutes wait or less (outside of FP) then that's good as walk on to me.

Like others said, slow-ER...

yankeesfan123
06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Still love early January.

January 4th until the Thursday before marathon weekend.

eandrsmom
06-26-2014, 09:11 PM
We were there in early December a few years back, and it was really crowded. They weren't filming the Christmas parade, but there were lots of folks there. I think Pop Warner was going on at that time.

AgentC
06-27-2014, 10:11 AM
I find early September (after Labor Day) to still be a lower attendance period but not busy doesn't exist anymore. We went then last year and many rides were 5-15 minute waits.

Other times that can be good are early Jan, and early Feb but it varies a lot. I've had trips where I've said it was light but others though it was very busy. Sometimes it is choosing the right park on a day. Sometimes itis the time of day you pick. Sometimes its perspective. If you haven't been in years, September, January or any slower time of year is much busier than it used to be.

mcjaco
06-27-2014, 10:24 AM
We used to go the third week in November as kids. It was dead. And I mean dead. If we waited more than ten minutes for anything, that was long. I almost got myself to accustomed to that, and was beside myself the first time we went during Spring Break!

I've been there in February, which was bad, March...slightly bad, second week of August - which wasn't as bad as I expected, but the weather was atrocious, End of August, which was pretty light as schools were back in session - temps were still pretty bad, September has been pretty nice, and October is about the same. Anytime I can get there in the early fall I'm pretty pleased with crowds. I've been there so many times, if I miss something it doesn't bother me that much.

PirateLover
06-27-2014, 02:44 PM
I was shocked at how much the crowds cleared out after Marathon weekend last year. That Monday, we went to MK at opening and pretty much had Fantasyland to ourselves! We were the only ones on either Dumbo ride, and everything was walk-on- meaning no stops whatsoever, just walk right on the ride. Now, as Cindy mentioned, this might've just been a case of the right park on the right day, but it sure was nice!

azcavalier
06-28-2014, 09:00 PM
We used to go in late September/Early October thinking that since school had started, it would be light. And we were right. Then they started offering free dining.

We still usually go in the fall, and it's been OK, but definitely busier than it used to be. We are going in early January for the first time, and are looking forward to it. I just hope it's not too cold.

EJS-Houston
06-30-2014, 04:29 PM
I've been going, for some years now, the first week of November, and while it's not just walk on everything, I don't find the crowds too daunting. Plus, the weather has consistently been absolutely perfect. Cool temps and no rain.

TheHD
07-01-2014, 08:20 PM
I really enjoyed the beginning of November. Plus, we got to see the Christmas decorations go up near the end of our trip. Weather was great.

TheVBs
07-01-2014, 08:31 PM
We've been in early May, early Sept., late Sept./early Oct. and once in November just for the MVMCP. Those were all times that we thought the crowd levels were good, but we found the early Oct. and late Nov. trips to be too cold for our liking. Next time we might be doing a late Aug. trip.

Maybe the upside of no slow time is that it lightens up the crowds for the traditionally busier times? We've never been during those times though, so I have no idea. Is there anyone here who usually goes in the summer? Have you noticed any lighter crowds?

TheHD
07-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Is there anyone here who usually goes in the summer? Have you noticed any lighter crowds?

Not last year.

kohlby
07-06-2014, 09:23 PM
The end of Jan was super quiet in 2010. However, that was a record cold winter so that may have added into it being even slower than usual. We've been several times in Nov/Dec and as long as you avoid holiday times, it's manageable, but I wouldn't say low. More low-to-moderate. We're doing Sept this time and I've heard it's lower than Nov/Dec. It would be pretty much impossible for it to be lower than when we went in at the end of Jan, but crowd calendars have the days 1-4's for during out trip, while our Nov/Dec trips are mostly 3-5's. (Out of 10, with 10 being the highest).

DKA041177
07-07-2014, 08:48 AM
I agree with what everyone has said in that it really depends on what "slow" means. Early December has always been good for us..but even that has gotten busier the last few years. We are trying for late Setpember this year, but of course you have free dining, food and wine, etc.

TheVBs
07-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Not last year.

Good to know. Thanks!

VWL Mom
07-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Next time we might be doing a late Aug. trip.

We've done the last week of June and the last week of August for the past few years. End of June isn't too bad but come July 1 the crowds start to grow. We like the last week of August starting on Monday, the southern schools are back in session and the parks are manageable. It is hurricane season though but so far we've been lucky.