PDA

View Full Version : Am I Alone in Thinking Frozen was Just OK?

merciantinkerbell
06-18-2014, 07:45 AM
I'm reading of 3 to 4 hour waits to meet Anna and Elsa, Frozen merchandise being limited to how much one customer can buy and yet I thought it was Ok but not one I'd watch again. For me there are far better animated films. Lilo and Stitch my favourite followed by ( in no particular order) Wreck-It Ralph, Tangled, Princess and the Frog and the Toy Story trilogy amongst others. I just don't get why Frozen is so popular or is it just me? :confused:

andypooh
06-18-2014, 08:32 AM
It's just you :)

Seriously, I really enjoyed it and my kids continue to be obsessed with the movie, songs, sticker books (even one we just got in France that they don't even understand)

Of course 100% of people won't love every movie so I am sure you will find some others who agree with you

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Nah, I might get disowned for saying this, but I thought it was good and I enjoyed it, but I'm surprised that it has become the HUGE DEAL that it is.

A good Disney movie, yep. My favourite? Nah. But then, I also really disliked Tangled, so not everything will appeal to everyone.

TheDuckRocks
06-18-2014, 09:55 AM
I enjoyed Frozen but it is not by far one of my favorite Disney movies. I doubt that I will ever want to see it again. I know for sure I won't be buying the DVD. Some of my favorite, not so popular, ones have been; The Princess and The Frog, Up, Wall-E and Meet The Robinsons.

i'm grumpy
06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
I thought it was good, but don’t understand the obsession. Only saw it once in the theatre. I bought the dvd and only have only half watched it once. Tangled, UP and others to me are so much better. And it drives me crazy the lack of merchandise after any movie is released. It’s in the Disney Store months before the movie is out and by the time you see the movie, it's all gone. And the closest store is over 100 miles. Don’t get me started on the limited pins and vinylmations, etc. :mad:

PirateLover
06-18-2014, 11:41 AM
You are not alone. Plenty of people out there don't get it, and I think that's fine. But get used to it cause it ain't going anywhere anytime soon! Personally, I like it, I own it. Is it my favorite? No. Does it have plot flaws? Yes. But the music is great, and the characters are pretty cool. One thing I have read about the abnormally long meet and greet lines is that since Anna and Elsa meet together, and they are really interactive, each meeting takes double the time of a regular meeting. As to why kids flock to it, I think it's a combo of media saturation and accessibility. Almost every parent I knew was playing an illegal stream of the movie for their kids daily while it was still in theaters. Here we are half a year later and their kids are watching their official copies almost daily still. They have the costumes, toys, bedspreads etc. I grew up in the second golden age of Disney- late 80s/early 90s. For The Little Mermaid in particular I remember having all the toys and merchandise. I don't think it's a new phenomena, just one we haven't seen in a long time because the quality of the movies/songs haven't been up to par. :twocents:

PirateLover
06-18-2014, 11:45 AM
Tangled, UP and others to me are so much better.

It took me a while to finally see Tangled, and while it certainly is a solid movie, I didn't enjoy it as much as Frozen. I found the songs forgettable for the most part. For me, the songs really make or break the movie when we are talking Disney. As for Up, yes it's a great film but it's a totally different kind of film, and better appreciated by adults than children.

Kenny1113
06-18-2014, 12:11 PM
I agree I thought it was just ok as well. I agree the songs are great, I love Idina's (?) voice!!!!! Always have.
My DSs 10 and 13 thought it was just ok too, really don't want to see it again. (We've seen it twice at home)
On the other hand my 3 yo niece loves it and knows the words to the songs and most of the movie.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-18-2014, 12:22 PM
No I thought it was a cute movie but I don't get the hype either, it's not a little mermaid or beauty in the Beast not same league at all

Mickey'sGirl
06-18-2014, 12:46 PM
It was fine, but not a wowzer for me ..... and honesty that Let it Go song makes me cringe. I did enjoy Olaf.

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2014, 02:03 PM
You are not alone... Trust me... Frozen was OK, but not great... Not great like people are trying to make it out to be... I can name 15 animated movies which are much better than Frozen, and 10 which blow Frozen out of the water...

SBETigg
06-18-2014, 02:22 PM
You are not alone... Trust me... Frozen was OK, but not great... Not great like people are trying to make it out to be... I can name 15 animated movies which are much better than Frozen, and 10 which blow Frozen out of the water...

Of course. What becomes the most popular break-out hit is usually not the best in the genre. There's just something about it that strikes the right chord and gets the buzz going and the hype building.

Like 50 Shades in the book world. It's poorly written and not great storytelling, but it has wildly surpassed almost every other book in sales. So many really well-written, lovely books get ignored and that one's a phenomenal sales hit. No disrespect to the book. Some people really loved it and that's great. Not for everyone.

At least Frozen is actually good, if not the best of animated movies. I enjoyed it and I could watch it again, though I'm not over the moon about it.

Arielfan98
06-18-2014, 03:05 PM
If you like musicals then Frozen is a step up from Tangled. Frozen is a unique story, not your typical movie and it's AMAZING :D I promise I won't hate you for thinking it's just "ok", though. :p

I love the soundtrack and all the characters and the female empowerment. Great music, great characters, great story. What more could you want?

DizneyFreak2002
06-18-2014, 03:28 PM
Of course. What becomes the most popular break-out hit is usually not the best in the genre. There's just something about it that strikes the right chord and gets the buzz going and the hype building.

Like 50 Shades in the book world. It's poorly written and not great storytelling, but it has wildly surpassed almost every other book in sales. So many really well-written, lovely books get ignored and that one's a phenomenal sales hit. No disrespect to the book. Some people really loved it and that's great. Not for everyone.

At least Frozen is actually good, if not the best of animated movies. I enjoyed it and I could watch it again, though I'm not over the moon about it.

I think you hit the nail perfectly on the head... it was like a perfect storm for Disney.... Mediocre animated movie becomes the all time highest grossing animated movie ever... Everything just went right for Disney with Frozen...

I don't take anything away from people who loved it... That's great for them... And I'm glad Disney has a smash hit (finally after so long with their animated movies)... I just fail to see what's so over the top great about it that drives people looney LOL... But, hey, it has its fans, it is wildly popular, and in the end, Disney is making a ton of money off it... And really, that's all they care about...

And hey, people feel the same way about Harry Potter, Star Wars, Star Trek, and Twilight right? Though I will never understand the hype and fascination with Twilight... Horrible story, horrible acting, horrible movies...

BrerGnat
06-18-2014, 06:23 PM
I recall being absolutely FANATICAL at both Little Mermaid and Aladdin. I was a young teenager then and NOTHING was bigger than these two movies when they were released. I fully admit to singing the songs with my friends in an obnoxious fashion everywhere we went. Everywhere. Now, as a 35 year old woman, I find that kind of behavior unwarranted and obnoxious. ;) And, with the success of Frozen, I am thrilled beyond belief that I have two sons. :D Now, Little Mermaid and Aladdin were pretty great movies, but when I watch them now, it's almost embarrassing how much time I spent obsessing over them. I will say, I thought Frozen was very good; it was tons better than any of the recent animated features. I liked Rapunzel well enough but didn't think it was great. I also felt that Frozen was a little too "Broadway" for my liking. The songs didn't feel organic, but rather forced and shoehorned into strange places in the story. That said, I do see how the SONGS, in particular, have become so popular and I truly think songs can make or break a Disney film. This one was a hit, even though Disney didn't even have faith that it would be. It's hard to figure out exactly why society at large latches onto something, but it happens and when it does, whomever is responsible gets to sit back and ride the wave.

MNNHFLTX
06-18-2014, 11:27 PM
No I thought it was a cute movie but I don't get the hype either, it's not a little mermaid or beauty in the Beast not same league at allHate to admit it, but I'm not a big Disney animated film fan. That said I loved Beauty and the Beast and did not favor Little Mermaid. I guess everyone has their personal preferences! As far as Frozen, the plot is not exceptional but the music is. That in and of itself makes it a movie worth re-watching.

merciantinkerbell
06-19-2014, 08:02 AM
If you like musicals then Frozen is a step up from Tangled. Frozen is a unique story, not your typical movie and it's AMAZING :D I promise I won't hate you for thinking it's just "ok", though. :p

I love the soundtrack and all the characters and the female empowerment. Great music, great characters, great story. What more could you want?

I'm afraid I disagree on great music, great characters. I can't remember the songs AT ALL and I watched it about 6 weeks ago and didn't think any of the characters were particularly memorable. Maybe that's why I don't like Frozen, I have to like at least one character to watch a film or show otherwise I can't get interested and care about them or what happens to them.

Arielfan98
06-21-2014, 12:08 PM
Well, that's the problem, most people DO like one character--Elsa. She's the only character allowed to show any emotional complexity or pathos.
Anna is forced to be the female screenwriter's parody of "Happy eternal-optimist girl who's just asking to find Mr. Wrong", and babbles away with Kristoff and Hans like she's in a Melissa McCarthy comedy. Kristoff has to be the handsome but romantically unthreatening slob-emasculated parody of What Lonely Single Males Do (yeah, we all never ask directions and sing to our reindeer), and Olaf is basically Josh Gad From Book of Mormon, and might have been able to steal more of the picture, if he'd been in the story more. (Or at least been more over-the-top cheery-annoying like BEN from Treasure Planet. :D )
That's probably why the Snowman song has as much of a girl-following as that Other Song, because it's the story's only single emotionally poignant moment you expect to get in a good Disney movie. Walt would have insisted on at least one.

Like I said, I don't know if there are any Anna fans out there (at least, beyond girls just singing the Snowman song). I know there must be some, I just...never...y'know...see any.

THAT'S MEEEEE :D Anna all the way! Elsa is ok, but "For the First Time in Forever" and "Love is an Open Door" are my favorite songs, not "Let it Go". While I do enjoy Elsa, I consider the song from a musical perspective. I can only sing in an alto range of voice, not soprano like Elsa (or Idina Menzel). Plus I can relate to Anna more because I have an older sister and I am way more awkward. I also happen to think Anna is one of the most beautiful princesses next to Ariel.
Your opinion is your opinion and I respect it, but as I said coming from a theater/musical background, Frozen is new and exciting. It's not like "The Sound of Music" or "Bye Bye Birdie"....it's a brand new, refreshing musical. Hopefully this clears the air for people wondering why some people love Frozen.

Arielfan98
06-22-2014, 06:43 PM
Yes. I live amongst a theater community, not too far from NYC. Artistry is everywhere and musical people love the music in Frozen and are thrilled with the plans to have Frozen on Broadway. So basically I'm saying some people like Frozen from a performing arts perspective.

ransam
08-25-2014, 01:51 AM
I'll add my thoughts. I loved this movie and it is my 2nd favorite Disney movie.
UP is my favorite.

But I thought Frozen was so beautifully animated, they were able to really show emotion in the characters faces, especially in Anna during her song Let it go. You can see her gathering strength as she goes along.

I loved the songs and I love the side characters and how emotional it was.

To me it is a great movie. Now I do agree with those that say maybe they are surprised at the response it's getting. me too.