PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Please

motherhamv
06-16-2014, 08:31 AM
:mickey: We are going to MK the beginning of August. I think I will do fine walking all day, and do not want to rent a wheelchair. It's the standing in line that will make my feet hurt so bad I can hardly stand.

I don't want to disappoint DD, do you have suggestions to help??

ibelieveindisneymagic
06-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Rent a wheelchair! We've had to do it a on a couple of trips for a variety of reasons and it has always made the trip better. Just because you've rented one, it doesn't mean you need to use it all of the time, but it will be there when you do need it. Especially in lines, you can choose to sit when needed, lean on it when needed or just push it when you don't need it.

Otherwise, I recommend getting an early start each day, planning/using FP+ for mid-morning and early afternoon when the lines are long and maybe taking a break (could be in any form, a TS lunch, some time sitting and people-watching, etc.) Sometimes you can leave a bit of space in line so you can take a step or two too. I agree though ... the standing is way worse than the walking!

Mrs Bus Driver
06-16-2014, 01:33 PM
Don't know if this will help but how about a walker. I going to be using mine when I go. It has 4 wheels and easy to push, carries all my things and when I lock up the brakes I can sit on it. :mickey:

minnie04
06-16-2014, 02:12 PM
The fact that you are going in AUGUST one of the hottest month of our year. I would recommend getting the wheelchair or scooter. Just to be on the safe side. The parks are so hot and crowded that you are going to be standing a lot longer than usual and moving slowly (crowds). So make yourself as comfortable as possible. I would even say to take breaks during the day and hit the pool to relax and help with the pain you might have in your feet. and then go back in the evening :mickey:

thejens
06-19-2014, 12:46 AM
I would also recommend the walker if not the wheelchair. A walker (or wheelchair) is great for toting all your shopping, backpack etc, items, and can work as a seat while you are waiting in lines. Or rent a scooter. No need to miss out on fun. I hated it when my kids out grew the stroller (ie. bag and souvenir carriers) and was kind of glad when my mom joined us with her scooter.

If you don't want the walker or wheelchair, maybe a special needs pass would help? Forgot what it is called, but WDW is great about accommodating folks with health concerns or other limitations.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-19-2014, 10:11 AM
Rent a scooter, if you go through Apple Scooters instead of going through the park you will save a lot of money. Just go online to their site select the scooter you want and they will deliver to your hotel. You have to give them a credit card three days before check in. They are very dependable and the scooter helped my mom tremendously. She has feet issues and didn't want to have to use one last trip, I got her one anyway and she had a blast. Better be comfortable than miserable on your vacation and with a scooter nobody has to push you.

BrerGnat
06-19-2014, 04:44 PM
I've been thinking of using one of two good scooter sites, but how DO they deliver to the hotel (if you don't know your room ahead of time)?
At the desk, like some purchase deliveries?

They leave them either in the lobby or right outside. I've seen them being delivered at the Contemporary. They affix name tags to them so when you check in, Bell Services retrieves the one in your name. This is why Disney moved to a system where only companies who have a contract with Disney can provide mobility devices. Disney assumes a fair amount of responsibility during the hand off phase.

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-20-2014, 08:35 AM
I've been thinking of using one of two good scooter sites, but how DO they deliver to the hotel (if you don't know your room ahead of time)?
At the desk, like some purchase deliveries?

They will leave it with the bell hop or concierge. That's how we got mom's last time, when I checked in they told me to go to the bell hop station and give them our name and sure enough our scooter was waiting. Just a side note, somehow her scooter got unplugged one night so the battery died in the park. One call to Apple and they had us a new battery within 20 minutes. We definitely are using them again this trip.

Eric87
06-21-2014, 09:58 AM
I definitely agree with the majority here. We went this past November and my in laws decided to join us. Both were too stubborn to listen to me beforehand. I suggested my mil possibly rent a scooter because she has a history of back problems, and was told she did the Hawaii off road hikes fine and she'd be fine for the trip. She ended up staying at the hotel all day in the middle of the trip because she was too embarrassed to rent a scooter and the rest of the trip we took a lot of sit down breaks. My father in law was also hurting pretty bad and kept commenting that it's not the walking, but the standing in waiting. Long story short, don't be embarrassed, and do whatever it takes to be comfortable during your trip.

Briansmom
06-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Not sure what resort you are staying in, and this answer won't help you while you are in the parks, BUT if you are staying MOD or DELUXE, when you come back to the hotel from the parks, go straight to the hot tub, take off your shoes and socks and put your feet in for about 15 minutes. It is amazing the difference this makes in your time at the resort. Like a darn cure-all for those tired feet! :cloud9: Good luck in your decision...we are having to think about that for my husband this trip as he is starting to have the beginning stages of arthritis in his hips and knees. It's the :thedolls: to get old.