PDA

View Full Version : Putting your pet down

Tiggerlovr9000
06-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Has anyone else had to do this. Our cat boots was 17 and we put her down today. She was suffering and there wasn't nothing we could do for her. I have never done this before. We had her the longest of any of our other cats.. Just not sure how to feel about what we did. I miss her so much.

tinkwest
06-13-2014, 10:47 PM
As an adult, have done it with two of our dogs and one cat. Didn't feel bad, due to the circumstances, but certainly felt sad. It's a hard decision to make because you so want to cling to the ones you love.

Mrs Bus Driver
06-13-2014, 11:24 PM
I am in my 50's, in my life time I've had 4 pets put down. First was Debbie a Lassie look alike, I must have been about 7 or 8. She was 12 and had severe arthritis. It had reached a point where she could no longer walk with out help. So my parents put her down explaining that this was a kindness. We all cried, my older sister took it the hardest as she and the dog were about the same age. I believe my parents did the right thing. To this day I still remember Debbie. I had a 20 year old cat that was no longer digesting food and was going to starve to death, not the kind of thing I was willing to put her through. A small dog that was attracted by 2 boxers and injured to badly to recover. And a couple of years ago a 17 year old cat with tumors. I loved all these pets and remember them they have enriched my life. I understand how you feel but there are times when you just can't stand by and let your pet friend suffer. Just like my parents said sometimes its the kindest thing you can do.

Tiggerlovr9000
06-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Thank you for your replies. I know it was the right thing to do, but it's just so fresh right now. Part of loving is also sadness.

Katzateer
06-14-2014, 07:59 AM
We have had many cats and dogs over the years. Normally I have had to make the decision and do this on my own. It is SO hard. When I take them in, most vets will let you sit with them and give them medicine to get them to sleep. I don't stay for the final injection since they aren't aware of you even being there. I have had them cremated. One time I buried my Sheltie and that was sooo hard.

Pets bring so much into our lives. It is hard when they are gone but I can't imagine life without them.

Reedy Creek Buccaneer
06-14-2014, 08:19 AM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

SBETigg
06-14-2014, 12:53 PM
It's a very hard thing to do, but compassionate when you know they're suffering. I'm sorry that you had to do it and that you're missing your cat now. I still miss my pug. They're always in our hearts and memories.

Mickey'sGirl
06-14-2014, 01:17 PM
I am so sorry for your loss. I hope your happy memories help you to feel better!

TheVBs
06-14-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm so sorry. :( We had to do this with our kitty last summer. Even when you know it's the best choice you can make, it's still very painful. Just go ahead and feel sad for as long as you need to. The happy memories will come back.

MNNHFLTX
06-15-2014, 02:02 AM
It's the most selfless, loving thing we do as pet parents. We see these innocent creatures suffering and know we have to say goodbye, no matter how painful it is for us.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I've had to go through this six times and it never gets easier. They might just be our pets but we see them every day. It's okay to feel sad sad. :(

MississippiDisneyFreak
06-15-2014, 10:55 AM
Yes we have and it is so hard even Shen you know you're doing the right thing. Sorry for your loss

PirateLover
06-15-2014, 01:48 PM
I was very, very young when my childhood dog was put down, and didn't really understand the gravity of the situation. She was very old for a dog- 16 or 17 years I believe. The only pet I've ever had to put down was my rabbit. I had her for 6 years and she started taking seizures and nothing could be done. My dad made her a padded box and for a few days we tried giving her medicine but it didn't work. I didn't go with them when she was euthanized. Now I have a 4 year old cockapoo who has bought so much joy and love into our lives that I can't imagine life without him. But the fact of the matter is, if you are lucky, you will always outlive your pet, sad as it is. I love this quote about dogs, but I think it can really be applied to any pet:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."

Tiggerlovr9000
06-15-2014, 06:49 PM
To everyone that has posted here, you have made me feel a lot better. Thank you so much...

Kenny1113
06-16-2014, 03:06 PM
We had to put down our 11yo yellow lab earlier this year. It was very hard. I cried for days. I had lost several pets as a child this was my first as an adult. Time passes and it does get better.

princessgirls
06-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Hard, awful, sad, empty...
Pets are part of our family. We love them and care for them, and love us back unconditionally.

Our girls were little when we had to put down our first dog, Spencer, and I knew I'd be getting another dog, but we waited, as we sold our house, moved, and got settled into another house. Then I got a call, from my friend Kathy, who rescues animals who are on their last days in the pound before they are euthanized. A few shelters call her when they have a dog or cat, that they really think will do great with a family. She had a dog, who was on it's last day, but the police officer who brought her there, felt she was special, she was someone's dog, and yet no one claimed her. He was trying to keep her from being killed. She was a sweet girl, and could we give her a home.
Now we have our sweet Minnie. 12 pounds, full of life and attitude who has blessed us more than we could have imagined.
Losing a pet is very hard. It's a loss, but after you grieve, consider adopting or getting another pet to share your love and family with!
Julie:mickey:

Disney4us2
06-17-2014, 11:04 AM
Tracey, I am so sorry for your loss. Take care my friend.

Puppy Mom
06-17-2014, 12:22 PM
I am sorry that you had to do this, but you did the most loving thing.

I waited too long to put down my first dog and vowed that I would never keep another alive when they were unable to enjoy their life. I have since had to put down two more beloved dogs and did not wait too long.

I believe that in return for the complete devotion our animals give us, we must promise to do what is best for them and that is what you did. You performed the ultimate act of love

SurferStitch
06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
DH and I just put our 16 year old cat, Cleopatra, down a week ago today. It was very, very difficult, but she was very near the end and suffering from kidney failure. She had stopped eating that Sunday, and stopped drinking water the day before. She was so skinny, and terribly weak the last couple days.

Sadly, there is no cure for it (other than kidney transplants), so you just have to know when it's time to let them go. The vet said we were doing the right thing, and that she had seen this many times with older cats.

I'm sure you did the right thing for your kitty, and any guilt you may feel will pass once you accept that. I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it's hard not having them around. I keep finding myself looking for her when I get home after work. :(

Dulcee
06-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Late to this post but having been there and done that with both a beloved cat and a dog its never an easy decision but in the end its most often the right one.

You made their last moments peaceful, dignified and pain free. Its really the very best we can do for anyone we love. I hope you've come to peace with your decision.

Tiggerlovr9000
07-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Late to this post but having been there and done that with both a beloved cat and a dog its never an easy decision but in the end its most often the right one.

You made their last moments peaceful, dignified and pain free. Its really the very best we can do for anyone we love. I hope you've come to peace with your decision..

Thank you. I have, my post was right after I got back from the vets office. Really appreciate everyone's stories and support.

NJGIRL
08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
I know that I am really late to this conversation but I thought I might have something to add here.

I have had to euthanize between 50- 75 animals in my adult life. I started out at 17 volunteering for my local shelter and have adopted many dogs and cats...more than the usually person. From there I ran a small animal rescue for many years (Hamsters, Rats, Guinea Pigs, Mice etc.). Then I got into TNR and now maintain a successful feral cat colony. My point is that I have been involved in the "pet business" full time for over 30 years now and I have seen it all and have had to do it all.

It is never easy no matter how many times you have to do it. I have spent thousands of dollars trying to save an animal and some have died in their sleep without me knowing that there was a problem. Many have been 17, 18, 19 years old but some have been 7, 8, 9 years old. No matter the dollar amount spent, time taking them back and forth to the vet, or age, I always feel the same when they are gone. I always feel guilty. Maybe I didn't do enough, maybe I waited too long, maybe I didn't see the signs soon enough. I always beat myself up and second guess my decisions.

I follow a formula now that follows common sense when emotions are not playing a part of the scenario, but this does not make me feel any less guilty in the long run either.

Long story short: In June my 7 year old beagle mix fell down 3 steps and burst a disc in his neck. We thought he just hurt his leg but within hours he couldn't move any of his legs. We took him to the University of Penn and had surgery done and expected a three day stay in the hospital and a long 2 month recovery at home. Well after 9 days in the hospital and a $17,000.00 bill they couldn't get him off the ventilator for more than an hour at a time. On father's day we made the heart wrenching decision to remove him from the vent because they couldn't tell us when or if he would be able to breathe on his own again and we just couldn't afford an unlimited bill. I still cry everyday for that dog.

I'm telling this story because sometimes no matter what you do you will always feel guilty. If we didn't OK the initial surgery we would have felt guilty, if we didn't give him 6 additional days in the hospital we would have felt guilty....guess what we did all of those things and still feel guilty.

I am going to be hypocritical here, but please don't second guess yourself. If you know deep down in your heart that there was nothing else you could do for your pet, then you made the right choice. Unfortunately it is all part of owning a pet. :(

emerzmom
09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I feel for you. I have had to do this a few times and it is never easy. My thoughts are with you. Pets are family!
:tink:
Julie