PDA

View Full Version : GoToMyPC

Goofy4TheWorld
06-07-2014, 10:34 PM
I was wondering if any Intercot folks have experience using GoToMyPC to access a remote computer. I am trying it out with the 30-day free trial, but I wondering if anyone has anything better that they use? I sometimes think that the host computer has become a little sluggish ever since I installed the GoToMyPC program, but it could just be a coincidence.

I don't mind paying for a service (it's on the company's dime), I just want it to be super secure and not in any way strain the resources of the host computer when not being used. I would appreciate any tips anyone has!

DizneyRox
06-08-2014, 08:08 AM
I use either a VPN or SSH tunnel and then just VNC from there.

Most of the services you are basically punching a hole from inside out that's used to communicate. For computer support I use TeamViewer and then they give me their connection info.

This has worked incredibly well, been doing it for probably 10+ years now.

For a company, I wouldn't suggest anything but a VPN. No way would I allow GoToMyPC, etc on a corporate network.

1DisneyNut
06-08-2014, 09:53 AM
GoToMyPC, as DisneyRox stated, punches a hole through your security from the inside. You are effectively giving an access point through your firewall. Anyone at GoToMyPC or anyone that has had access to their information basically has the keys to your system. All of your data is supposed to be encrypted as it passes through their servers but what if someone gets your access information? I haven't heard of many problems with systems being compromised but that means one of two things either 1) There hasn't been much if any systems compromised or 2) There is a problem with systems and data being compromised but it has not been detected or there has not been a link between the compromises connected to GoToMyPC yet.

Most people use services like GoToMyPC because it is quick and simple to set up and they lack the knowledge to do it any other way and do not want to take the time to learn.

Using a VPN client/SSH tunneling is a much more secure way of accessing remote computers and is how almost all companies provide remote access.

Goofy4TheWorld
06-09-2014, 09:48 AM
We are a just a small company involving just 2 computers with 3 users, me being the only one who uses a computer often, the other 2 users just tolerate its use when they have to.

I have the know-how to configure open ports, we already have ports open to the surveillance DVR and some VeriFone equipment, but I just assumed that direct connections via open ports was always more vulnerable than a software solution that hides behind the firewall (yet still works).

I experimented with opening port 3389 to see if I could connect using Windows RDP, but my one attempt at it didn't work, plus I didn't really trust the simplicity of it, so I closed that port back down and decided to try GoToMyPC. While I knew what a VPN connections was, I had no experience with it and every time I Google it I feel like it may be above my pay grade.

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-09-2014, 11:50 AM
I use to work from home sometimes. I'm happy with it. My entire law IP law firm uses it.

DizneyRox
06-09-2014, 07:02 PM
... I just assumed that direct connections via open ports was always more vulnerable than a software solution that hides behind the firewall (yet still works).
VPNs and SSH tunnels also have authentication. I use public/private keys, so while the port is technically open, nothing can happen without the proper keys and sign-on.

I can revoke keys and sign-ons at will, so if a device is lost, it's taken out of the allowed list.

Another thing to consider though is not all networks even allow VPN, etc. Depends on how much their admins locked everything down.

Goofy4TheWorld
06-09-2014, 08:42 PM
Another thing to consider though is not all networks even allow VPN, etc. Depends on how much their admins locked everything down.

Among my many other talents, I am the network administrator! :D

DizneyRox
06-09-2014, 09:56 PM
Among my many other talents, I am the network administrator! :D
I meant outside networks. Places like McDonalds, Starbucks, Disney, etc. They may or may not allow VPNs, etc. They can block by port, protocol, etc. So, depending on the network you may not even be able to reach your corporate network.

I can't remember if I was able to connect to my VPN on my last Disney cruise. Their Internet was awful slow, so I may have given up due to that.

jamesroger
08-29-2014, 01:26 AM
We use RHUB remote support server for all our remote access needs. It is fortknox.