PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else still order prints?

TheVBs
06-02-2014, 12:31 PM
I sometimes think I'm the only person who still orders prints of photos to put in photo albums. Everyone else I know just keeps them on their PC, and/or shares them on social sites. I know we'd never look through them as much as we do if we had to sit in front of a screen to do it. Finding space for all the albums has become a challenge though, I have to admit. When my father in law was last over, they looked through our photo album from the Yellowstone trip and he actually thanked me for still getting prints you can put in an album and look through! What about everyone else? Do you buy prints?

PirateLover
06-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I share most of my pics via social media, but we do still get prints made of some of the more important moments, like vacations, holidays, and special events. I agree--it's so nice to be able to hold an album and physically page through. :thumbsup:

kakn7294
06-02-2014, 02:42 PM
Sometimes but not often. I really should more than I do but it's not something I think about.

RedSoxFan
06-02-2014, 03:03 PM
You're not the only one. I order prints all the time and put them in photo albums.

TheVBs
06-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Good to know I'm not alone!:mickey:

You know what's getting challenging though? The sheer number of photos we take now, and how hard it is to weed that down to a reasonable number of prints. I love so many of them! But when we take a couple thousand, :blush:, and PhotoPass has a couple hundred, what's a reasonable number of prints? How many do you guys typically order?

And, no digital camera takes a 4x6 format, so if you don't go in and adjust each one, you could end up with a horribly cropped picture. A couple of photo sites used to have the option to have the full image printed with white borders, but the feature seems to be gone now.:confused: Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

Thanks for listening!:blush:

rjmdds
06-02-2014, 04:44 PM
I do as well. I look at digital copies of photos as backups. I need to see the photos in an album. I like the idea of pulling a photo album off of the shelf and thumbing through it. As long as I keep up with the albums, I will always order prints.

missymouseworld
06-02-2014, 06:59 PM
I order prints still......just received an orange envelope in the mail today with pictures from my daughter's prom and both kids birthdays. I keep them stored online and also keep them in albums....

Altair
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Yes, I still print copies of my better shots or photos that have sentimental value. All photos not saved as a hard copy will someday be on a useless format and gone forever.
By the way, the best photo album I've found is at Walgreens. It holds 500 photos in slip-in pockets with pages that can be moved to other albums. I think they are around $12. :thumbsup:

PirateLover
06-03-2014, 12:24 AM
By the way, the best photo album I've found is at Walgreens. It holds 500 photos in slip-in pockets with pages that can be moved to other albums. I think they are around $12. :thumbsup:
Sounds similar to what we do. We buy binders and separate photo pages so that we can add/move as we please.

TheVBs
06-03-2014, 07:17 AM
I will definitely check out the Walgreens album, thanks for the tip! That's especially helpful because I've whittled the photos down to "only" about 950. :blush: See what I mean?

We do have two digital frames that we put pictures on. We always turn them on when guests are over. People might glance at a few of the pictures, but it seems to quickly turn into visual white noise. But when we have an album sitting on the coffee table, people always pick it up and we sit looking through it and talking about it.

I like to do the photobooks as well, for when we'd just like to look through a distilled version of our trip. Plus, one of my favorite things about a photobook is that it's easy to add what I wrote in our trip journal.

I just got so discouraged trying to go through all these photos and weed them down to a "reasonable" number, not to mention facing going through them all on the photo site to make sure there's no weird cropping, that I started to question whether it was worth it. Talking it out here has helped me decide it is! Thanks. :mickey:

DebK
06-07-2014, 07:50 PM
I still order prints! :thumbsup:

2Epcot
06-07-2014, 09:06 PM
Photobooks are the way to go. That is all I do now. I still like physical prints. My feeling, if you can't see them, they don't exist. I just finished a photo book from my son's first trip to China, and I've done two others before that and have about 4 more I'm working on, or planning to do. I even made one for one of the International college students we hosted from Japan. It made for a great memory for her to take back home. They are so easy to do, and unlike photo albums, they take up FAR less space. Plus, they allow you to have many more photos in a book since they print on both side and each page is only the width of a piece of paper. There are my places to make them, but I love Shutterfly.

BrerGnat
06-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Photobooks are the way to go. That is all I do now. I still like physical prints. My feeling, if you can't see them, they don't exist. I just finished a photo book from my son's first trip to China, and I've done two others before that and have about 4 more I'm working on, or planning to do. I even made one for one of the International college students we hosted from Japan. It made for a great memory for her to take back home. They are so easy to do, and unlike photo albums, they take up FAR less space. Plus, they allow you to have many more photos in a book since they print on both side and each page is only the width of a piece of paper. There are my places to make them, but I love Shutterfly.

That is what we do too. We make a photo book for each vacation and then one large one each year for "everything else". We use Shutterfly as well. Great looking books! I find the photo quality to be better in the books vs. prints.

TheVBs
06-09-2014, 08:58 PM
OK. Looking at 950 prints in my shopping cart.... I've decided I'm going to do the photobook first and see how I feel about the prints then. I was going to put them in shorter albums that only hold 200 each, so we're talking about a whole shelf full of albums for one trip. I don't know if I'll feel satisfied with just the photobook, but maybe at least if I make it first, I'll feel better about cutting that print order down a whole lot more. I can't ignore the space issue. What I'm really trying to figure out is if I would be happy with converting completely over to photobooks. Eeek! :blush: I use Shutterfly too and really like their books.

2Epcot
06-09-2014, 10:12 PM
. I don't know if I'll feel satisfied with just the photobook, but maybe at least if I make it first, I'll feel better about cutting that print order down a whole lot more. I can't ignore the space issue. What I'm really trying to figure out is if I would be happy with converting completely over to photobooks. Eeek! :blush: I use Shutterfly too and really like their books.

I think you'll like the photo books. I look back at some of my old photo albums and how big and bulky they are, compared to the sleekness of the photbooks and won't ever go back. Though I still have boxes and boxes of several thousands of photos in my garage.

We LOVE Disney
06-10-2014, 08:18 AM
I get so many point-reward offers from companies giving free offers to let Shutterfly turn my digital photos into a professional album book, mouse pad, coffee mug or Christmas cards--
And I never do, because A) I don't like print photos, and B) my iMac can already do the book thing.

I just go for digital (to put on my desktop and iPad), and invest in a little Digital Picture Frame if I want to display the good ones.
Sad news for Kodak, I know, but such is progress.

I'll take your Shutterfly points :). I make albums from that site a LOT!!!

BrerGnat
06-10-2014, 08:18 AM
The other good thing about photo books is that is a book gets ruined/damaged, you can just go online and re order! They save all your projects. That is nice peace of mind.

SBETigg
06-10-2014, 09:31 AM
I do, but not enough. There are lots of pictures I have only on my phone or laptop. I love looking at old family photographs and I shudder to think there might be a whole generation or more without physical photographs and so many pictures gone or lost when technology changes. Photographs don't last forever either, but they can last quite a while and I think it's important to document things.

TheVBs
06-12-2014, 08:37 AM
I love looking through albums too, and I'm not sure I can completely give them up. I'm working on the photobook right now. DH mentioned not only doing photobooks from now forward, but also going back and doing books for old vacations. Don't know if I'm up for that!