PDA

View Full Version : Moments of dread for parents

Katzateer
05-30-2014, 03:30 PM
What did you, as a parent, dread going through with your children? My youngest went through #3 today and I am so glad to get that behind us.

1. Getting learner's permit and drivers license. I hate that feeling of staying calm (on the outside) and being a passenger with a teen driver!

2. Leaving after moving a freshman into a dorm. That first semester away from home is such a learning experience.

3. Getting wisdom teeth removed. Seems to be something no one forgets.

4. Letting your 5 year old get on a school bus for the first time ( I admit, I followed the bus to the school the first few days, to watch my girls get off and go into the building:blush:)

cer
05-30-2014, 03:46 PM
We are living #1 right now. It is sooooo hard.

VWL Mom
05-31-2014, 06:46 AM
Survived #1 with both boys, wasn't as bad as expected but the younger still has to text me when he arrives at his destination.

#2 cried when I left the older one, will experience the second in September. Dreading it because now they'll both be gone. :(

Haven't experienced #3 yet.

Wasn't bad with #4.

Adding #5 to the list: Prom Weekend at Seaside Heights. Hate it!! Counting the hours until it's done.

Kenny1113
05-31-2014, 06:57 AM
#6 that moment when your sweet cuddly baby turns into a teenager.

One day this week I had left the house before the kids got up and didn't see my oldest DS (13 today!) until my DH had brought him that evening to my youngest's baseball game. When I saw him from afar he stopped and waved and proceded to go see if any of his friends were at the park. :(

Eta- I know this is not that bad. Thank goodness we haven't hit the stage with nasty attitude.

RedSoxFan
05-31-2014, 07:12 AM
Adding #5 to the list: Prom Weekend at Seaside Heights. Hate it!! Counting the hours until it's done.

Agree with the Prom. My boys have been to prom and have all graduated college so I've experienced all of the above and then some.

However, Kourtney (17) is going to her first prom tonight and I'll be glad when it's over and she's safe at home. But it's also exciting as she can't wait and all the girls are coming over later this afternoon to get ready. And it's also bittersweet; as we are moving to Georgia in July and she will be doing her senior year in a new school (she's excited about moving) and leaving her friends.

MNNHFLTX
05-31-2014, 12:15 PM
#2 for sure. Driving away from the university that first time without my kid just felt so wrong and yet we knew it was time. Four years later I still get that moment of dread every time he heads back to school after a weekend at home. You're glad that they're becoming independent, productive adults, but there is always that bittersweet moment as you wave goodbye.

As far as prom, my moment of dread came not from my son's attendance of it, but the fact that the girl he invited (a junior in high school when my son was a senior) got grounded a week before prom and was not allowed to attend. To my son's credit he went off with his friends anyway, but it was all I could do not to call that girl's parents up and give them a piece of my mind for choosing that particular punishment that ended up disappointing my kid. I still shake my head thinking about it today.

Melanie
05-31-2014, 12:21 PM
We're going through #1 with my oldest right now. I'm not loving the experience. :unsure:

I've dreaded the middle school years the entire time we've been experiencing them. Happy to say that in a couple of weeks, we'll be done with them forever, AND we got through them relatively unscathed. :joy:

CanadianWDWFan
05-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Just started with #1 today, my oldest just got his permit about an hour ago. Surprised he didn't ask me to let him drive home from the test centre.

disney obsessed
05-31-2014, 10:35 PM
Just finished the proms last night! DD1 prom in 9 th, ring dance and prom 10,11, and 12; DD2 ring dance 10, prom and ring dance 11 and 12; DD3 ring dance and prom 11 and 12. Sooo, thats 16 formal dances!

With my first two daughters in florida, i will come back to an empty house after dropping DD3 off at her dorm. DREADING that!!!

RedSoxFan
06-01-2014, 09:34 AM
I've dreaded the middle school years the entire time we've been experiencing them. Happy to say that in a couple of weeks, we'll be done with them forever, AND we got through them relatively unscathed. :joy:

I hear you on middle school. It was an awful experience for Kourtney (not that HS is much better). No problems when the boys were in school; but there is so much drama with girls.

princessgirls
06-02-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm in midst of middle school angst.

Oldest is finishing 7th grade...THE WORST YEAR EVER...:thedolls:

Youngest is going into 7th grade in September....:thedolls:

I hope I can keep my sanity before it is all over!

Julie:mickey::thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
06-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Most of those are not that bad, been through all of them.

My worst time ever was when my oldest told me she was old enough to tuck herself into bed and say her prayers on her own. That was a kick in the face night for me !!! :(

Belle of the Ball 051411
06-02-2014, 03:26 PM
I just returned to work from maternity leave (3 months off). It has been soooo hard sending my son to daycare. I cried every day for the first 2 weeks. On week 3 now; it's getting a little easier but I do have my moments.

JanetMegan
06-03-2014, 02:40 PM

My worst time ever was when my oldest told me she was old enough to tuck herself into bed and say her prayers on her own. That was a kick in the face night for me !!! :(

I'm 36, my mom will be in town tonight for the first time in months-I always let her tuck me in now when I am with her ;)

RedSoxFan
06-03-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm in midst of middle school angst.

Oldest is finishing 7th grade...THE WORST YEAR EVER...:thedolls:

Youngest is going into 7th grade in September....:thedolls:

I hope I can keep my sanity before it is all over!

Julie:mickey::thumbsup:

I found 7th grade the worst for my daughter (no grades were bad for the boys). And every parent I talk to says the same thing. And what's worse is that they go through the same **** as 10th graders.

Kenny1113
06-03-2014, 07:50 PM

Aww that would be hard. :(

magicofdisney
06-03-2014, 07:51 PM
My oldest is in his learner's permit stage. He seems to have zero motivation. I'd read that with today's instant connections via technology, kids may not care so much to drive. :confused: I'm now experiencing that first hand. It sure was different for me when I was his age. :unsure:

Melanie
06-03-2014, 08:15 PM
My oldest is in his learner's permit stage. He seems to have zero motivation. I'd read that with today's instant connections via technology, kids may not care so much to drive. :confused: I'm now experiencing that first hand. It sure was different for me when I was his age. :unsure:

I could have written this. So weird!!! We're having to force our son. Like I said before, not loving this experience.

joonyer
06-03-2014, 08:23 PM
For us it would be #2. Coming up this August. But mostly because of the empty nest we will be facing. I'm actually excited for for him to leave the nest, but life will be changing for us just as much. DW is not looking forward to a home without kids for the first time in 21 years.

The good news is both our college aged sons have said they want to go back to WDW with us one more time before they are done with college, so we are heading back to the World this Christmas for a trip to relive all those childhood memories. This will be our first Christmas trip to WDW, so we are excited about that.