PDA

View Full Version : Wild Africa Trek

MrPeetrie
05-29-2014, 11:24 PM
We just watched a promotional video on Disney Parks web site regarding Animal Kingdom's Wild Africa Trek. I have a few questions:

1.) is there a minimum age requirement. I have a 4YO who would LOVE to see this. We think he may be too young though.
2.) How much does it cost? Follow up question. Is it worth it? It looked really amazing.
3.) Approximately how long is the trek?
4.) Do you need to be staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge to book it?

Thanks, gang.
:thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
05-30-2014, 06:32 AM
I went with a friend a few years ago. I didn't find it very physical taxing, normal walking. The bridge is scary for people who are afraid of heights. There is a strict age of 8+, so your lad will have to wait 4 years. It's pricey, but I hope to take both grandchildren next year, when they are both 8.

MargaretMessler
05-30-2014, 09:17 AM
I haven't experienced this yet, but worthy to mention in regards to the cost question...

1) If you happen to have a Disney Visa, you can receive a 20% discount, which amounts to something in the $50 range per person. Make sure you mention it when you book.

2) I have sometimes seen discounts for specific time slots during the day, so if you aren't picky on time of day, that's a good deal.

Zawadi
05-30-2014, 01:54 PM
Crossing the "rope" bridges is MANDATORY. No traverse = no further participation and no refund.

Before FotLK moved to its new home, the base camp area had a training bridge but this has gone.

The bridges have missing slats resulting in gaps of varying widths. You must wear a full harness with a "monkey tail" that is attached to a safety line. Crossing the bridges is a case of mind over matter.

We've been on the trek twice and really enjoy it.

ChipDale2708
05-30-2014, 04:15 PM
I just did the trek two weeks ago and loved it. Would I do it again, if I had the money to spare and someone in the party wanted to go, maybe. I'm not afraid of heights and the bridges were cool, but it startled me when the person behind me started across and the bridge started to move. I did an early morning tour since the animals are more active then and it isn't quite as hot. It was still pretty warm, but tolerable.

We had done the private concierge level safari that was open several years ago and much preferred that. I wish they would bring that back for all resorts, not just the AKL guests.

MrPeetrie
05-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Thank you for all the replies. Is the general consensus: "It's worth the money."

mrte62
05-31-2014, 03:33 PM
It was worth the money and having lunch in the middle of the savannah in a peaceful setting with the animals all around is priceless.

The CD with stock pictures and some with your group is nice too. :mickey:

mouseketeer mom
06-02-2014, 07:24 AM
This was terrific. I did it last year with my three teens. The walking is not taxing at all, and you stop frequently for pics, and for the tour guide to teach you things. The walk over the bridge is fun, not scary at all, but not for a four year old. You walk single file, and pretty much one at a time. We loved our snack on the savannah. The whole experience was lovely. I would repeat this tour for sure!