View Full Version : Avatar Land

tiggerbuddy
05-26-2014, 08:27 AM
HI Everybody,

I think Disney is making a major blunder on this one:

Avatar was not that great of a movie.
It came out years ago.
It was a violent movie.
It didn't have widespread appeal (Like ET for example)
Everyone I discussed this with had an attitude of "meh"...Not that excited.

Would Beastly Kingdom have been a better choice ?

yankeesfan123
05-26-2014, 08:48 AM
This has been a big discussion multiple times.

I don't think many of your points are correct.

Highest grossing film of all time.

There are two sequels coming out, so it's irrelevant how old it is.

James Cameron is one of the most successful storytellers in the history of film.

All that being said, not everyone liked the movie.

I think the most important thing to remember is that this land will be imaginative and beautiful, giving new life and attractions to a park and finally making it a "full day park".

Would Beastly Kingdom have been better? Who knows. But whether it not you liked Avatar, this is going to be an awesome addition.

tiggerbuddy
05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
The "full day park"is a definite plus..
Just think the $$$ could have been spent wiser..

Star Wars Land , perhaps?
Fix the mess Epcot has become ?

Strmchsr
05-26-2014, 11:16 AM
Star Wars Land , perhaps? Fix the mess Epcot has become ?

Both of those things are in progress. Not sure how soon they'll be green-lit, but they're in the works and should be coming before too long. A Star Wars area is a definite and they've just brought in a new VP for Epcot to try and fix the mess. We'll have to wait and see what the vision becomes, but I'm at least hearing some positive rumblings from my friends in management at Disney.

wellsm
05-26-2014, 11:59 AM
I suspect that if the Star Wars buyout had happened before the announcement of Avatar land, the plans may have been different.

Of course, getting both Avatar land and Star Wars land would be the best of all worlds. Oh, and bringing Cars land to DHS. :)

WDWdriver
05-26-2014, 12:09 PM
I don't believe it matters much whether people have seen or liked/disliked the Avatar movie. The point is that there will be a new and much needed themed area at AK which will offer new attractions, experiences and visuals. AK after dark is beautiful, and the promised night shows will be spectacular.

TheHD
05-26-2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah, even if you did not/do not like the Avatar movie(s), the conceptual drawings I've seen of Avatar Land in the Disney Files magazine look amazing and beautiful. Just walking through the land will be something special.

yankeesfan123
05-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Star Wars/Lucas will happen. Either in a land or a 5th gate.

It would not have fit in AK.

As others have mentioned, the new management changes at Epcot also spell new life for that park.

So, luckily your two suggestions look like they're coming :)

Just hopefully you can wait 10-15 years.

Then again, Disney is always changing. There's a big change every ten years or so.. There's always something on the horizon.

tiggerbuddy
05-26-2014, 04:41 PM
There's always something on the horizon.

Now that's something I really miss!!! (Horizons) :mickey:

2Epcot
05-26-2014, 05:20 PM
There is also reason to believe with the popularity of Avatar in China, something will be used there. One of most popular national parks, Zhangjiajie National Forest in China's Hunan province, was used as inspiration by the filmmakers. Later the Chinese renamed the Southern Sky Column in the park, "Avatar Hallelujah Mountain". I think it would be a safe bet that one or more attractions being developed for Avatar Land, will also appear in Shanghai Disneyland.

DKA041177
05-27-2014, 09:05 AM
I actually loved the movie. It is interesting that it was the highest grossing movie of all time, but so many people have come out on the forums afterwards and say they didn't like it. I think maybe I need to go back and re-watch the movie to make sure I am remembering it correctly! But my thought is, whether you liked the movie or not, an addition to AK was needed. And whether or not Beastly Kingdom would have been better, I am just glad AK is getting a new area.

Disneylovescompany
05-27-2014, 09:12 AM
I think the refurb of Fantasyland and the impending refurb to parts of tomorrowland at MK and the addition of Avatar to AK signify WDW is continuing to invest some serious bucks in all the parks over the next few years. Star Wars land and a move to bring more of the Pixar feel to the DS is going to dramatically change that park. And new management at Epcot should build on the success of Food & Wine and upgrade some of the WS pavillions and possibly add one or two, plus they have GOT to fix Future World. The Old Wonders of Life pavillion is a waste, Energy needs a serious upgrade, and Imagination needs an overhaul while keeping Figment in place. The people in charge of Epcot have the biggest job as they try to reimagine things while keeping Walts vision of the future in their minds.

#1donaldfan
05-27-2014, 11:21 AM
I thought the movie was great and to see it come alive at AK will be incredible. :mickey:

Goes4FastPass
05-27-2014, 11:39 AM
IF there are Avatar sequels and IF they are popular that will propel this project,

And an after the animals are in for the night aspect added to AK would be a welcome addition.

polarbear72834
05-27-2014, 12:20 PM
I loved the movie Avatar .. I can't wait till its all complete...Going to be fun...

yankeesfan123
05-27-2014, 07:41 PM
IF there are Avatar sequels and IF they are popular that will propel this project,

And an after the animals are in for the night aspect added to AK would be a welcome addition.

There are sequels. No if.

LittleDreamer
05-27-2014, 08:20 PM
There are sequels. No if.

While it is James Cameron and the sequels will probably get made eventually, he likes to take his time. Avatar was 4-15 years in developments. Until the filming starts we can't say anything with certainty. I believe the last update was fall 2014 for filming.

yankeesfan123
05-28-2014, 05:56 AM
Scripts are finished. In pre-production. Yes, it takes a while, but there are going to be sequels.

mcjaco
05-28-2014, 09:10 AM
While it is James Cameron and the sequels will probably get made eventually, he likes to take his time. Avatar was 4-15 years in developments. Until the filming starts we can't say anything with certainty. I believe the last update was fall 2014 for filming.

The biggest issue was that the technology wasn't there yet to make Avatar.

PopPhan
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
Just a slight aside.......

Avatar must be more popular than a lot of people think, as I have just seen that Cirque du Soleil has teamed with Cameron to create a new traveling Cirque show based on the movie(s)........

From the article..

We're delighted to announce our creative partnership with James Cameron! Together, we'll develop an arena-touring show inspired by the world of AVATAR! This live production is expected to debut in 2015 for what will become a global touring schedule!

DizneyFreak2002
05-29-2014, 04:42 PM
Just a slight aside.......

Avatar must be more popular than a lot of people think, as I have just seen that Cirque du Soleil has teamed with Cameron to create a new traveling Cirque show based on the movie(s)........

From the article..

Avatar is more popular than you are led to believe on WDW fan sites... The only people trying to discount the popularity are WDW fans who didn't like the movie themselves and don't want it in the theme parks... Of course, when you look at their arguments, you have to laugh at how desperate they sound trying to prove no one likes or liked the movie...

WiltonJohn
05-31-2014, 07:47 PM
Loved the movie... looking forward to the sequels (as much as sequels ever are good)... and also eventually Avatar-Land.

It will be all about the visuals. Particularly in the evening and at night. Imagine!!!!!!!

And above it all... the floating mountains!

Can't wait.

best,

................john

LVT
06-06-2014, 11:01 AM
I also loved the movie. I think it has real potential in WDW. :mickey:

wdwfansince75
06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Most of WDW's iconic attractions are not based on movies...POTC, HM, SM, BTMRR, IASW, Soaring, Test Track, etc. had no predecessor movie to make them popular....so I see no reason why the attractions can't be popular just on their own merits.

Strmchsr
06-06-2014, 03:16 PM
so I see no reason why the attractions can't be popular just on their own merits.

That's kind of where I am on this. I was pretty "meh" about the movie and didn't see what all the fuss was about, but I am excited about the potential for what's coming to DAK. Regardless of the movie I think it has potential to be a great addition to DAK.

yankeesfan123
06-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Most of WDW's iconic attractions are not based on movies...POTC, HM, SM, BTMRR, IASW, Soaring, Test Track, etc. had no predecessor movie to make them popular....so I see no reason why the attractions can't be popular just on their own merits.

Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Mine Train, Pooh, Festival of the Lion King, Nemo Musical, Buzz Lightyear, Toy Story Midway Mania, Beauty and the Beast, Tower of Terror...

Look at "the other" two parks down the street...

It's 50/50. Attractions can be popular on their own, or based on attractions.

DizneyFreak2002
06-07-2014, 07:24 PM
Built a great attraction, and IP matters not...

angua85
06-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Loved Avatar once I finally saw it. I did not see it in the theater as I was luke warm on the concept. I cant wait to see the new area in AK. AK is at most a 1/2 park for my family. Pretty much it's a walk to "Dinosaur," one ride on "Expedition Everest" and "It's Tough to be a Bug" on our way out.

AVATAR (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2013/10/avatar-at-disneys-animal-kingdom-will-transport-transform-guests/?CMP=SOC-DPFY12Q1TwitterYT3.7-3.13DisneyParks03-10-130001)
Has everyone seen this video? Probably :) but just in case they havent and it is topical!

TheVBs
06-09-2014, 08:41 PM
I've never seen it. Just have never been interested for some reason. But I agree with the comments that what really matters is what they do with it in the park.

wdwfan47
06-09-2014, 09:24 PM
HI Everybody,

I think Disney is making a major blunder on this one:

Avatar was not that great of a movie.
It came out years ago.
It was a violent movie.
It didn't have widespread appeal (Like ET for example)
Everyone I discussed this with had an attitude of "meh"...Not that excited.

Would Beastly Kingdom have been a better choice ?
wromg wrong wrong.

It's the #1 biggest grossing movie ever... was very very popular... and James Cameron is making two more Avatar movies scheduled for release in 2017 and 2018 Vilolent is not quite correct... It was more of a love story... IMO

DisneyGiant
06-10-2014, 01:12 PM
wromg wrong wrong.

It's the #1 biggest grossing movie ever... was very very popular... and James Cameron is making two more Avatar movies scheduled for release in 2017 and 2018 Vilolent is not quite correct... It was more of a love story... IMO

It also has a serious environmental message.

I thought the movie was beautiful - saw it in 3D

wdwfan47
06-10-2014, 03:46 PM
It also has a serious environmental message.

I thought the movie was beautiful - saw it in 3D

Ditto on that.. it was amazing!! can't wait for 2 and 3 to come out and Avatar Land at Disney :mickey:

Hog
06-10-2014, 04:04 PM
I liked Avatar, I saw it on Blu-Ray at home. I don't think it was as amazing as everyone made it out to be. I think the reason it is the highest grossing movie is because of the 3D aspect. It was one of the first movies to do 3D to that scale and everyone was talking about the 3D. I know atleast everyone I talked to said "Have you seen Avatar? The 3D is amazing!!" Also they were charging more for the 3D screenings which helps with the gross profit.

PopPhan
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
wromg wrong wrong.

Actually, there will be 3 sequels, starting in December 2016....See quote below.....

The release of the next Avatar movie will be in December 2016, with the second to follow in December 2017, and the third a year later.

I think the timing of AvatarLand/Pandora/whatever the final name will be is just about perfect.

yankeesfan123
06-11-2014, 08:10 PM
(They ALL think that--Shrek thought they'd have five, and the 90's Godzilla thought it would be a trilogy... :funny: )

According to Cameron, he's been referring at conventions to "Pandora: the Land of Avatar".
(You'll notice the movie itself gets second billing.)

Please. The Avatar sequels ARE happening. As long as James Cameron is alive, they will happen.

wellsm
06-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I really hope that Disney has not drastically overestimated the draw of Avatar.

Yes, it is the #1 movie, but how much of that was because it was more of a 3d effects demo? A cool spectacle that everyone had to see. Once. After I saw it in the theater I never had the desire to see it again.

On the positive side, it does seem to be a good fit. It is all about Eco-friendly (a friend of mine called it "Ferngully in Space") and lots of cool alien plant and wildlife to fabricate. I have no doubt that this part of the park will be high on the "spectacle" meter.

I also expect AvatarLand to be a very good place to visit at night. I bet we see lots of cool lighting and environment effects after dark. Disney would love to pull visitors to AC after dark (which we've already seen happening with Harambe) and for people to start considering AC an all-day park. This will do it.

It wouldn't be my pick of themes, and I don't think it was really a counter to "Harry Potter," but I'll still go see it.

jclightchasr
06-14-2014, 10:49 AM
I for one am excited about Avatarland. I hope that the imagineers can work with James Cameron to develop concepts that will be in the films sequels in addition to what we have seen with ideas from the first film.

RE Star Wars, I would suggest a major expansion be done at Hollywood Studios to include a Star Wars theme land. A fifth park is not merited. This would allow imagineers to expand on what is already there, keeping costs down, meeting fan demands, and driving more to Hollywood Studios. Not to mention providing a major competition to Universal.

wellsm
06-16-2014, 11:09 AM
But... do they have room for both Star Wars Land and Cars Land at DHS? :)

tiggerbuddy
06-16-2014, 02:20 PM
My thoughts exactly...

I really hope that Disney has not drastically overestimated the draw of Avatar.:mickey:

yankeesfan123
06-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I really hope that Disney has not drastically overestimated the draw of Avatar.

Yes, it is the #1 movie, but how much of that was because it was more of a 3d effects demo? A cool spectacle that everyone had to see. Once. After I saw it in the theater I never had the desire to see it again.

On the positive side, it does seem to be a good fit. It is all about Eco-friendly (a friend of mine called it "Ferngully in Space") and lots of cool alien plant and wildlife to fabricate. I have no doubt that this part of the park will be high on the "spectacle" meter.

I also expect AvatarLand to be a very good place to visit at night. I bet we see lots of cool lighting and environment effects after dark. Disney would love to pull visitors to AC after dark (which we've already seen happening with Harambe) and for people to start considering AC an all-day park. This will do it.

It wouldn't be my pick of themes, and I don't think it was really a counter to "Harry Potter," but I'll still go see it.

In my opinion, it does not appear to be as much about the movie as it is about the experience.

Jimmy Thick
06-18-2014, 04:21 AM
Avatar, based on what Carsland at DL brought to the table, will redefine the theme park experience.

Don't believe what the doom and gloom love to type around the net, Avatar will be amazing.

Jimmy Thick- I knew a girl named Ava once, she made great spaghetti...

LittleDreamer
01-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Just read the article that the Avatar sequel release date got pushed back a year and thought of this post. Also the article has given the impression that no filming has started yet and since he is planning to film all 3 at once we might see further delays.

Stu29573
01-16-2015, 02:27 PM
You know, with Avitarland you've got two camps; the lovers and the haters...and they seem to be about equal. I'm not sure if that's a good position to be playing from if you're Disney. I'd think maybe you might want "lovers" and "mehs." Or "lovers" and "don't cares." But there are a lot of actual HATERS out there. Personally I have become more of a "don't care" (although I still think its pretty "un-Disney" the whole AK park isn't particularly "Disney" anyway) The problem is that if the movies keep getting pushed back, this "land's" place in the social zeitgeist diminishes. I'm not sure I'd want to spend that kind of coin on a place that just doesn't resonate any more.
Still, not my circus, not my monkeys.

Gator
01-16-2015, 03:04 PM
Definitely agree that this is not a Family Friendly movie. How can I immerse my kids in a land from a movie I won't let them watch? What AvatarLand does fit in with is the environmentalist causes embraced by those leading TDO. It certainly makes sense from that standpoint. From a family park-relating-to-movie standpoint, I don't get it. It isn't Disney. It's not even remotely Disney. I will always feel that this move was a knee-jerk reaction to Harry Potter at Universal.

Stu29573
01-16-2015, 06:04 PM
Definitely agree that this is not a Family Friendly movie. How can I immerse my kids in a land from a movie I won't let them watch? What AvatarLand does fit in with is the environmentalist causes embraced by those leading TDO. It certainly makes sense from that standpoint. From a family park-relating-to-movie standpoint, I don't get it. It isn't Disney. It's not even remotely Disney. I will always feel that this move was a knee-jerk reaction to Harry Potter at Universal.

Agreed.

MyDisneyworld
01-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Now that they own Star Wars it would be better to make the Ewok planet of Endor at Animal Kingdom or something like that.

finaldynasty
01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
Now that they own Star Wars it would be better to make the Ewok planet of Endor at Animal Kingdom or something like that.

I wish there was a triple like button for this comment!!!

tiggerbuddy
01-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by MyDisneyworld View Post

I also agree with that !!!:thumbsup:

WiltonJohn
01-18-2015, 11:52 AM
Definitely agree that this is not a Family Friendly movie. How can I immerse my kids in a land from a movie I won't let them watch?

What makes ... let's say "Star Wars" OK as a "family friendly" movie... and "Avatar" not?

best,

................john

Stu29573
01-18-2015, 09:49 PM
What makes ... let's say "Star Wars" OK as a "family friendly" movie... and "Avatar" not?

best,

................john

Star Wars movies rated lower than PG 13= 84%
Avatar movies rated lower than PG 13= 0%

DonaldDuck1117
01-19-2015, 01:33 PM
While I agree I wish Disney would of chosen one of their own IPs to expand AK I am extremely happy they have decided to finally expand. AK needed something like this. There are hardly any rides at the park, this will add at least 2 major rides and it will eat up more time in the park. Clearly Disney thinks people will be spending more time at AK with the addition of the River of Light night time show coming.

Maddie
01-20-2015, 04:21 PM
Im with the majority i'd say, big Disney fan..not a big Avatar fan. However, it seems its gonna happen so I am thinking positively, I am sure it will be cool and hopefully some great attractions come from it.

Gator
01-23-2015, 06:33 PM

best,

................john

Stu made a good point about the rating systems. But for me, it's the constant foul language of Avatar. Star Wars has a few language issues with Han Solo, but it's all cleaned up in the 3 prequels. For me, foul language fouls it all up. I'd like to show the kids the Avengers films, but the language is the tipping point for me. I don't allow it spoken in my house, so I try to keep what the TV blares to as small amount of cursing as is humanly possible and still keep it entertaining. It's just a preference of mine. I'll watch Pirates OTC, Lord of the Rings, and other films that may have excessive violence for some, but I'm OK with showing them because the language is clean. Call me weird :thumbsup: