PDA

View Full Version : tuition for piano lessons

ThePlanner
05-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Any piano teachers or students out there?
What do you charge/pay for lessons? Do you have other fees [enrollment fee]?

We are currently paying month to month at $65/hour.

Got a packet from the instructor for a change in the upcoming year [starting this summer]. It's $70/hour with $120 enrollment fee.

Just curious what others are chargin/paying.
Thanks in advance!

d_m_n_n
05-22-2014, 06:59 PM
This is why I'm so thankful for where I live. Lol...we paid $11/hour for violin and piano lessons from our school music teacher :blush:

SBETigg
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
This is why I'm so thankful for where I live. Lol...we paid $11/hour for violin and piano lessons from our school music teacher :blush:

Wow, that's amazing. I'm not sure it's just where you live, or a teacher doing it all for love.

My daughter's violin instructor, a professional in orchestras who also taught, was $50 an hour five years ago. I think it might depend on what you're looking for out of classes, also. Learning to simply play vs professional instruction with higher goals. You could shop around, but sometimes it's so hard to find just the right situation. A professional who is teaching serious musical skills and habits can certainly charge more and end up getting it. If the interest in piano is working toward professional quality, career interest level, then it's probably worth it.

VWL Mom
05-22-2014, 07:37 PM
If your daughter likes her and you're satisfied $5 is probably worth it. Since you are already a customer I would ask her to waive the enrollment fee. It's one thing to charge it to new students but not current ones IMO.

DebK
05-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Wow! I've been paying only $15 for 1/2 hour....

kakn7294
05-22-2014, 10:58 PM
Gee, I paid $20 a week (total) for summer lessons for my daughters to have piano and trumpet lessons. I got a bargain!

SBETigg
05-23-2014, 11:31 AM
Again, I think it really depends on the interest and goals. My daughter was already in an orchestra and performing at a professional level. For this, $50 an hour was really a bargain. She wasn't simply learning to play, she was mastering technique and the art of it and she needed to study with someone who was at a certain level of mastery, too.

If the piano instruction is for professional development, concert quality, the cost of quality training might be well worth it. But if it's just a matter of wanting to learn to play without a further professional interest in the instrument, you can probably find much less expensive instruction.

dnickels
05-23-2014, 11:58 AM
Again, I think it really depends on the interest and goals. My daughter was already in an orchestra and performing at a professional level. For this, $50 an hour was really a bargain. She wasn't simply learning to play, she was mastering technique and the art of it and she needed to study with someone who was at a certain level of mastery, too.

If the piano instruction is for professional development, concert quality, the cost of quality training might be well worth it. But if it's just a matter of wanting to learn to play without a further professional interest in the instrument, you can probably find much less expensive instruction.

Exactly, I think people are comparing very different things. Getting lessons from a professionally trained musician who has a job with a paid orchestra is far different from getting them from a high school music teacher or someone who plays at local restaurants or weddings. It's like the difference between getting lessons for a young quarterback from an NFL QB or a guy who played in high school. Either may be appropriate depending upon the skill level and ultimate goals of the student but the two really aren't comparable.

ThePlanner
05-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Thank you all for your input!

I think the hourly rate is worth it. But we do have a bit of a drive and with the new $120 enrollment fee, I'm just feeling the scale of pros and cons tipping every so slightly.

Again, thank you!!