PDA

View Full Version : Yeti health watch....

Jack Skellington
05-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Has anyone been to AK recently (this week maybe)? Can you give us a diagnosis on the health of the Yeti at EE?

Also, while you're at it, how are the lights and the animatronics doing in Dinosaur?

Thanks,

JS:mickey:

yankeesfan123
05-22-2014, 06:38 AM
As far as EE goes, you likely won't see a change in the yeti unless the entire attraction goes down for a lengthy refurb (which I highly doubt, but if it does, probably wouldn't be until Pandora opened).

Melanie
05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
The Yeti is down....the Yeti is down....

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
:yeti:

LandFan
05-22-2014, 09:39 AM
FYI, I bought my husband one of the Icot Yeti is Down T-shirts for his birthday a few weeks ago and he LOVES it:thumbsup: I practically can't get it off of him long enough to wash it, lol.

Melanie
05-22-2014, 09:48 AM
FYI, I bought my husband one of the Icot Yeti is Down T-shirts for his birthday a few weeks ago and he LOVES it:thumbsup: I practically can't get it off of him long enough to wash it, lol.

They are great shirts!!! :yeti:

DizneyFreak2002
05-22-2014, 10:41 AM
He's dead Jim....

Jack Skellington
05-22-2014, 11:57 AM
OK. I have only been on the ride when the Yeti is working. What is the difference? Where will we notice the difference?

Thanks!

DizneyRox
05-22-2014, 12:26 PM
OK. I have only been on the ride when the Yeti is working. What is the difference? Where will we notice the difference?

Thanks!

I think he was only working the first few months after it opened. The "working" you see now is a strobe light. If that's all you have seen, there is no difference. He used to lunge at the cars and his arm would move as well. Not he just stands there.

PirateLover
05-22-2014, 06:35 PM
Your lucky if you even get strobe light Disco Yeti these days. :yeti:

LittleDreamer
05-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Did we ever get a reason as to why he broke? I always assumed he was just putting unintended stress on the structure so they stopped him moving.

Fangorn
05-22-2014, 09:15 PM
Did we ever get a reason as to why he broke? I always assumed he was just putting unintended stress on the structure so they stopped him moving.

(Mostly) from the Orlando Sentinel:

The yeti is the largest and most complex audio-animatronic figure ever built by Walt Disney Imagineering. It is 22 feet (6.7 m) tall. Its "skin" measures 1,000 square feet (93 m2), and is held in place by 1,000 snaps and 250 zippers. Its movement is controlled by 19 actuators (when functioning in "A-mode", its full mode of operation). It can move 5 ft (1.5 m) horizontally and 2 ft (0.61 m) vertically when functioning in "A-mode".

The yeti has not been in full "A-mode" operation since a few months after the ride's opening, when its framing split, causing significant risk of catastrophic malfunction if it were operated. It currently only operates in the alternative "B-mode", which is limited to a strobe-light effect designed to give the appearance of movement, earning it the nickname "Disco Yeti". The problem was caused by damage to the yeti's concrete base structure, which is unlikely to be repaired until a major refurbishment in the distant future, because the design limits access to the yeti without major disassembly of the superstructure.

To reiterate: "He's dead Jim"

Steve

MrPeetrie
05-23-2014, 06:47 AM
I've never been lucky enough to ride Expedition: Everest with Yeti in "A" mode. I would have loved to see that.

It kind of upsets me that all Disney promotional videos still show Yeti in "A" mode when clearly it's not. It's kind of misleading.

JMTStone
05-23-2014, 10:11 AM
I've never been lucky enough to ride Expedition: Everest with Yeti in "A" mode. I would have loved to see that.

It kind of upsets me that all Disney promotional videos still show Yeti in "A" mode when clearly it's not. It's kind of misleading.

We still watch those shows and my husband likes to scream "LIAR" at the TV while I sing "The Yeti is DOWN". Anyway, we've never seen him move either.

I've worn my INTERCOT Yeti shirt on the ride and had a cast member comment on it. We chuckled.

Jack Skellington
05-23-2014, 12:03 PM
We still watch those shows and my husband likes to scream "LIAR" at the TV while I sing "The Yeti is DOWN". Anyway, we've never seen him move either.

I've worn my INTERCOT Yeti shirt on the ride and had a cast member comment on it. We chuckled.

Is "The Yeti is DOWN" sung to the same tune and beat as StrongBad's "the System is Down"?

yankeesfan123
05-23-2014, 01:35 PM
To be honest, a lot of people *think* they have seen the yeti moving but actually never have.

JMTStone
05-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Is "The Yeti is DOWN" sung to the same tune and beat as StrongBad's "the System is Down"?

"The Yeti is Down" is an INTERCOT song by Capt'n Tom. Its quite catchy. You can find it in the podcast links! http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=193924&page=3

:yeti:

Jack Skellington
05-23-2014, 04:50 PM
I rode EE in July 2006 and I believe at that time the Yeti was still moving, since it only opened 3 months earlier in April.

I suppose I am among the lucky few who knew the Yeti when it was alive.... RIP Yeti.

Jack Skellington
05-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Interesting article from the Orlando Sentinel in 2010:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-01/business/os-disney-expedition-everest-yeti-080110_1_expedition-everest-real-yeti-walt-disney-world-spokeswoman

"Disco Yeti" :yeti:

2Epcot
05-23-2014, 05:19 PM
I rode EE in July 2006 and I believe at that time the Yeti was still moving, since it only opened 3 months earlier in April.

I suppose I am among the lucky few who knew the Yeti when it was alive.... RIP Yeti.

I also rode it in 2006 and was able to see the Yeti in full operation.

BrerGnat
05-23-2014, 05:37 PM
I saw him in his A mode glory JUST TWICE. He was magnificent. It is so pathetic that they have not fixed him yet.

yankeesfan123
05-23-2014, 07:03 PM
AK would be dealt a huge blow if EE was closed for an extended period of time. Maybe once Pandora is open the park can handle it.

Giggy
05-24-2014, 03:38 PM
AK would be dealt a huge blow if EE was closed for an extended period of time. Maybe once Pandora is open the park can handle it.

That sounds most likely, if they were to close AK's most popular attraction by far there would be an uproar by guests, much worse than there is for Disco Yeti.

As you say I think if it does happen it will be after Pandora opens as that will take the heat off.

I think there is also further complication that the engineering firm who were subcontracted the Yeti project went out of business so there is no expert to consult should they decide to do it in-house or call in a 3rd party.

PirateLover
05-24-2014, 03:50 PM
You know, I was one of those who could've sworn I saw it in A mode... but I didn't ride it until a year after it opened, so I guess I didn't. :yeti:

DizneyRox
05-24-2014, 05:07 PM
You know, I was one of those who could've sworn I saw it in A mode... but I didn't ride it until a year after it opened, so I guess I didn't. :yeti:

I heard it was intermittent, not sure if that was true. When big wigs were around, it would be in A mode, kind of a don't look behind the curtain...

Again, no idea if that's true or not...

JDisney
05-25-2014, 04:10 AM
Hmm I'm trying to remember if I rode it in A-mode I'm pretty sure I did I'll have to ask my dad, I think we were there maybe January 2006 it wasn't really opened but they were letting people test it or have a sneak peak.

Jack Skellington
05-26-2014, 02:12 AM
According to the Orlando Sentinel article I posted, the last confirmed A mode run was in 2009. So, maybe you did see the living Yeti?

WDWdriver
05-26-2014, 07:37 AM
When I worked at EE during its first year of operation we sometimes had unexpected encounters with the fully operational yeti. A few of the ride CMs were required to walk the entire track during the morning startup procedures. At about the same time, our maintenance guys would be checking out the functions of the yeti. One particular technician would wait until the unsuspecting CM was walking through the quiet ride directly beneath the yeti. Then he would activate the entire sequence with the yeti bending, leaning out, swiping with the paw and roaring. We knew it wasn't real, but it still sometimes required a change of underwear!

Mendelson
05-27-2014, 08:11 AM
The undiscussed issues here are the larger health problems.

Yeti has been on Lipitor for several months now, after registering a staggering 260 cholesterol level (largely to be blamed on his diet of yaks and US midwesterners) and also is scheduled for a colonoscopy this summer after doctors saw some things "that are probably nothing but that we just want to take a closer look at."

His blood pressure could be lower, too.

Giggy
05-31-2014, 11:13 AM
The undiscussed issues here are the larger health problems.

Yeti has been on Lipitor for several months now, after registering a staggering 260 cholesterol level (largely to be blamed on his diet of yaks and US midwesterners) and also is scheduled for a colonoscopy this summer after doctors saw some things "that are probably nothing but that we just want to take a closer look at."

His blood pressure could be lower, too.

Haha! To make matters worse a small proportion of people complain of muscle pains on lipitor so then he'll definitely not want to move! :D