PDA

View Full Version : Monitoring Ride Quality

LittleDreamer
05-18-2014, 09:48 AM
We were up at Disney this past weekend and I noticed what seem to be small problems with the rides. One of the most noticeable was Splash Mountain, the background music was too loud and it was drowning out the dialogue of the characters. Another was Dinosaurs at AK, it was much darker then I remember you couldn't see most of featured parts of the ride. I.E. the pterodactyl that's over the car didn't see it. You keep hearing dino and "look out" cues but saw nothing. It could of been my eyes didn't have enough time to adjust or maybe they do this to make it less scary.

I wonder how often they are tweaked to ensure ride quality?

TheHD
05-18-2014, 12:52 PM
We were up at Disney this past weekend and I noticed what seem to be small problems with the rides. One of the most noticeable was Splash Mountain, the background music was too loud and it was drowning out the dialogue of the characters. Another was Dinosaurs at AK, it was much darker then I remember you couldn't see most of featured parts of the ride. I.E. the pterodactyl that's over the car didn't see it. You keep hearing dino and "look out" cues but saw nothing. It could of been my eyes didn't have enough time to adjust or maybe they do this to make it less scary.

I wonder how often they are tweaked to ensure ride quality?

I've noticed the ride quality of Dinosaur diminish over time as well. I thought I remember the pterodactyl actually moving before, but now it simply just lights up with a scream, similar to the Yeti. I think the reason why it is or seems darker is because of the increase of failing robotics causing them to actually decrease the light in order for us not to notice it as much. At least, that is what it seems to me throughout the years.

Ian
05-18-2014, 01:36 PM
We noticed similar issues on many attractions on our trip last month, especially the audio quality issues.

In Carousel of Progress the music audio was drowning out the Dad so badly you could hardly hear what he was saying. The worst by far though was Philharmagic ... it was BAD. The film was very dark and dirty looking. It was so worn you could hardly enjoy the 3D effects and the sound was very muddy and unclear. I felt bad for the poor thing.

GoldenDreams
05-18-2014, 02:32 PM
One year it was the fluorescent paint that was bothering me everywhere. I noticed it on Haunted Mansion and on Peter Pan. Peter Pan isn't so bad because it's a children's book and the colors can be strangely bright, but I don't want to notice the paint in the Haunted Mansion -- It should just have a faint other-worldly glow.

I wish they would tone down the Mary Poppins section of the Great Movie ride. It may be accurate, but it's louder than other parts of the ride so the high pitch of it hurts my ears. It always has, so I guess this isn't really a quality issue.

texas211
05-18-2014, 02:36 PM
I think all the films need to be cleaned up. Everything from Soarin, to Muppets, to World Showcase and more. Since we all have HD TV's at home or on our phones, everything just looks that much older.

Bruegge
05-18-2014, 05:20 PM
Since we all have HD TV's at home or on our phones, everything just looks that much older.

Wow, what a great point... it's been seven years since our last trip, heard stories about the Soarin' tape and other lack of upgrades. But since 2007 I have MUCH better video, phone and audio at home, in the car and at work.

Sort of sets me up for a potential disappointment.

Ian
05-18-2014, 08:28 PM
I think all the films need to be cleaned up. Everything from Soarin, to Muppets, to World Showcase and more. Since we all have HD TV's at home or on our phones, everything just looks that much older.I made this point during our trip ... all their films look very, very dated when compared to modern projection techniques.

MrPeetrie
05-19-2014, 06:37 AM
When we last rode Dinosaur (2012), I thought it was exceptionally dark almost to the point of unenjoyable. My thought then was they were masking malfunctioning attractions.

When you see promotional videos, everything is so clear. I would love to see it return to its original state.

TheVBs
05-19-2014, 07:00 AM
Interesting! We went on Dinosaur and it was darker than I remembered, but I thought it was just me misremembering. Good to know it wasn't!

SandmanGStefani24
05-21-2014, 07:02 AM
In Carousel of Progress the music audio was drowning out the Dad so badly you could hardly hear what he was saying. The worst by far though was Philharmagic ... it was BAD. The film was very dark and dirty looking. It was so worn you could hardly enjoy the 3D effects and the sound was very muddy and unclear. I felt bad for the poor thing.

Kinda makes me think of the Norway Malestrom movie. Anyone actually look at it lately? Last time passing through, I saw a computer running DOS (when they are mentioning Modern Technology) and a very grainy filmstrip.

On the plus side, anyone look at Star Tours' revamp? Outstanding!

:darth::trooper::chewy::yoda::ewok:

MrPeetrie
05-21-2014, 07:10 AM
On the plus side, anyone look at Star Tours' revamp? Outstanding!

:darth::trooper::chewy::yoda::ewok:

I totally agree. On our last trip (2012), that was DD9's and my favorite attraction.

MNDisney Dad
05-21-2014, 07:09 PM
All of the projection based rides should take a clue from the new Star Tours and go with digital projection.:thumbsup:

2Epcot
05-21-2014, 07:24 PM
All of the projection based rides should take a clue from the new Star Tours and go with digital projection.:thumbsup:

I'm sure its coming, but it's expensive. Not counting the cost of the projectors. I talked to one of the longtime maintenance engineers at Disneyland when the new Star Tours was going in. He told me replacing the bulbs on the digital projectors is actually more expensive than replacing the 70mm film prints they used to use. I forgot how long he said the bulbs last, but not so long considering how many hours are put on them.

DonaldDuckUSA
05-25-2014, 06:09 PM
I have to agree. I thought Dinosaur was AWESOME when it first opened (as Countdown to Extincting). I even bought a ride Tshirt (which I never do)! But now it is just a let down. I agree about the music being too loud on most rides. I thought I was simply getting old, but maybe not?

I thought Disney was about the details?

MNNHFLTX
05-25-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm sure its coming, but it's expensive. Not counting the cost of the projectors. I talked to one of the longtime maintenance engineers at Disneyland when the new Star Tours was going in. He told me replacing the bulbs on the digital projectors is actually more expensive than replacing the 70mm film prints they used to use. I forgot how long he said the bulbs last, but not so long considering how many hours are put on them.That's what they're supposed to do with the revenue they make from tickets, hotels, souvenirs and special events. ;)

I agree that certain attractions are suffering from lack of quality control and updates. It seems particularly ironic in light of all the technology they are using with the MDE stuff.

Speedy1998
05-27-2014, 12:38 PM
In Carousel of Progress the music audio was drowning out the Dad so badly you could hardly hear what he was saying.

That actually has alot to do with what row you sit in. From experince I have noticed the music track is coming from speakers above the second to last row, but the voice track is coming from the stage. Sitting closer to the front really helps that problem.