and did not have any of the charm that
Pooh or Peter Pan has.
What gives with this ride?

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-16-2014, 04:29 PM
too bad:(

Basket Mommy
05-16-2014, 07:18 PM
To each his or her own. It's one of my new favorites, because TLM is my favorite Disney movie.

mechanic
05-16-2014, 07:45 PM
I thought it was cute. Same with pooh. (Never done peter pan).I wouldn't stand in line long to ride it again, But I think the young target audience likes ut .

d_m_n_n
05-16-2014, 09:28 PM
To each his or her own. It's one of my new favorites, because TLM is my favorite Disney movie.

I love this and always break out in song when I ride it :cloud9:

Pirate Granny
05-16-2014, 09:29 PM
I agreed I was disappointed. I know they used the same ride from California, but could've improved on a few things.

1DisneyNut
05-16-2014, 10:34 PM
I agree, it was a complete disappointment. Then again, all the newer rides with the animation screens have been a disappointment. It is on the list of rides I could care less if I ever ride again.

Mickey'sGirl
05-16-2014, 11:35 PM
We rode it very late at night (no wait) in December. I agree with the OP, and I was really glad that we hadn't waited in a long hot line for it.

mamatedd
05-17-2014, 12:14 AM
I love it!!!! But, TLM is one of my very favorites and the music totally makes it for me! I'm sorry you were disappointed. :(

PirateLover
05-17-2014, 06:42 AM
One problem for me is that it ends rather abruptly. After taking the time to tell the story, the end feels rushed. Another problem might be that the rooms are TOO large. With the classic dark rides, you get a really cozy feel. Still, overall, I enjoy the ride for what it is-- and I LOVE the queue at WDW. Really adds an extra element (even though it's way too long when there's no line).

yankeesfan123
05-17-2014, 07:49 AM
I think part of the problem is that they tried to make a "classic dark ride", except it is missing the "classic" part.

It's kind of like the Old Yankee Stadium vs the New Yankee Stadium. The new one is awesome, and they incorporated a lot of "classic" features from the old one, but it's just not the same...

azcavalier
05-17-2014, 10:53 AM
One problem for me is that it ends rather abruptly. After taking the time to tell the story, the end feels rushed. Another problem might be that the rooms are TOO large. With the classic dark rides, you get a really cozy feel. Still, overall, I enjoy the ride for what it is-- and I LOVE the queue at WDW. Really adds an extra element (even though it's way too long when there's no line).

Yes, this. I was trying to put my finger on what about it I didn't like, and that's it. The rooms are huge, and even though it's dark you can see a lot of the other riders. I don't know...it just doesn't capture that "dark ride" feel for me. I also thought it ended too abruptly.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-17-2014, 12:33 PM
So I shouldn't waste one of my FP+ on this if I'm reading you correctly. I would still like to see it at least once, does it tend to have long lines?

ANG
05-17-2014, 12:35 PM
I felt the same until we came upon Ursela. I had no other words but WOW

PirateLover
05-17-2014, 02:10 PM
So I shouldn't waste one of my FP+ on this if I'm reading you correctly. I would still like to see it at least once, does it tend to have long lines?

I would say no need for FP+ on this. If you get to the park at or just after it opens, it should be a walk on. I've never seen the line more than 30 minutes, though.

MississippiDisneyFreak
05-17-2014, 03:58 PM
I would say no need for FP+ on this. If you get to the park at or just after it opens, it should be a walk on. I've never seen the line more than 30 minutes, though.

Thanks

mechanic
05-17-2014, 04:14 PM
Or get an extra fp once first three are done.
If you need it. The line seems to move fast.

LittleDreamer
05-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Most of my group was disappointed with Under the Sea. It just didn't click with any of us and many elements felt unfinished or rushed. Which I know is not the case since it has been in California for year. The internet says California's Under the Sea got some improvements this year.

The observation about the rooms being too big is a good one. The Under the Sea scene is definitely the least impressive to me. Ursula is the best. I compare it against The Seas with Nemo. Nemo's compact nature does a great job of enhancing the under the water feel. Except for some bubbles on the ceiling I didn't get that from UtS. It also brings you close to the characters and makes you feel like your alone with them. I wish they would of made some minor improvements before it was completed.

1DisneyNut
05-17-2014, 08:10 PM

We were there last summer on July 5 which was the first peak summer season it was open and we never saw the wait times over 30 minutes. When we rode it, the wait time said 30 minutes and we walked straight on without stopping. It appears to be a one time and done attraction for most people. I don't think many are coming back for multiple rides on the same day so the line keeps moving quickly.

I wouldn't waste a fastpass on it.

buzznwoodysmom
05-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Even tho Little Mermaid has been my favorite Disney princess movie since it came out, I have to agree with the majority here.....it didn't impress me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but nothing wowed me. And I love the classic dark rides. We still love Peter Pan, even tho my kids have long outgrown their love for the movie. We also still love Pirates. I guess I have to agree with whoever said "it's missing the classic feel".

2Epcot
05-17-2014, 10:35 PM
Yes, the Little Mermaid ride at Disney California Adventure just reopened with many improvements and additions. The biggest being they repainted all the characters in the main room, and now use blacklights to make the room darker, and have more of an under the sea feel. Disneyland guests (Annual Passholders) have been complaining about the lighting not being what it should be since the attraction first opened. Disney apparently responded to the complaints to make it better.

I haven't been over to the park since it has reopened, but look forward to seeing it for myself. Also, more characters have been added throughout the ride to fill in some "dead" spots. As well as some adjustments to the look of many of the main characters at the end. No telling if Team Disney Orlando (know to be cheaper) will spend the money to do this in Florida.

texas211
05-17-2014, 11:10 PM
I think part of the problem is that they tried to make a "classic dark ride", except it is missing the "classic" part.

It's kind of like the Old Yankee Stadium vs the New Yankee Stadium. The new one is awesome, and they incorporated a lot of "classic" features from the old one, but it's just not the same...

That is the perfect description. However, we do enjoy it. Over time, the crowds will die down and it'll be a fun, quicker dark ride (like Small World). Did see the Cali version just lack week. The wait was 5 minutes. But then again, everyone is waiting 2 hrs for Cars, there.

I do feel the ride is too short, and hard to enjoy the music, and the ending is wrapped up real quickly...

TheVBs
05-18-2014, 08:51 AM
We really enjoy it. Rode it a couple of times this last trip and each time we passed it there was a 30 min. wait or more. However, I never expected it to be anything more than a cute dark ride. If I had expected it to be something different, I would have been disappointed.

AmandaChan
05-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Shame to hear it was a disappointment. I remember watching the concept video for it on the original DVD and how it was supposed to be a ride but they never made it. It looked amazing. But I was new to the idea of WDW rides at the time. TLM is undoubtedly my favorite movie (I have a huge little mermaid tattoo on my arm). I think the music alone, the atmosphere of the queue will be enough to make me wanna cry though. That movie defines my childhood for me (I have a lot of special memories of it with my mom who is deceased so it's very special).

I did wonder how it was though. It looks neat, and I thought the Nemo ride was neat with the technology and detail but they blast people through those rides to speed up wait times and I think it minimizes the experience. Perhaps that is a part of it?

disneynarula
05-19-2014, 10:24 AM
My DD(3) loved it. We rode it during a soft opening in 2012. We also rode it in Disneyland. I think it was a pretty great ride considering that almost all the other newer rides from Disney have height restrictions.

Terra
05-19-2014, 01:30 PM
We really enjoy it. Rode it a couple of times this last trip and each time we passed it there was a 30 min. wait or more. However, I never expected it to be anything more than a cute dark ride. If I had expected it to be something different, I would have been disappointed.

Yes to this. Myself and my kiddos love it. We love the music and sing along.

Now I DO have the same disappointed feelings towards TSM. I just don't like that attraction. But I'm not really an arcade game person so....

Lakin
05-20-2014, 01:15 PM

This is how I felt about it as well. It was an okay ride, but I just don't think it was as cohesive as it could have been.

minnie04
05-20-2014, 03:30 PM
Not fans (of the ride) love the movie, but I guess if you have small children they will love it. My niece loved it, but again she is 5... We rode it once or twice and I would never wait in a line for it. I think they missed on this one. It could have been more like you were actually in the water or something. My DH said it the first time we rode it, they are missing something here… and I have to agree :( it's 2014 with all the technology they could have done so much more to make you feel the "under the sea" part..

LoveofEVERYTHINGDisney
05-21-2014, 07:48 AM
Not fans (of the ride) love the movie, but I guess if you have small children they will love it. My niece loved it, but again she is 5... We rode it once or twice and I would never wait in a line for it. I think they missed on this one. It could have been more like you were actually in the water or something. My DH said it the first time we rode it, they are missing something here… and I have to agree :( it's 2014 with all the technology they could have done so much more to make you feel the "under the sea" part..

Just rode this yesterday for the first time and we were completely disappointed. While their target audience is 5 yr. olds I think it even missed the mark for that age group. A lot of what Disney does is for that age group but adults always enjoy it too. It was beyond "cheesy" and the detail was just not there. It did feel uncompleted. If you looked up at the ceiling in some of the rooms you can see the roof structure and air conditioning ductwork. I was also disappointed with the fountains that looked like giant Christmas light holders. Can't describe that any better unless you've seen it you might get what I'm talking about. Why couldn't they incorporate real water?! I do love the movie as does my DD but we were completely underwhelmed "under the sea".

lightyearfan
05-21-2014, 03:43 PM
wow really? well everyone is entitled to their own
opinion i guess , the 1st time me and dw rode this ride we liked it allot, the 2nd time we liked it even more, can't please everyone i guess. i always feel that no matter what Disney does your gonna have half the masses not liking it to half liking it. As an example you know how many times that we hear that people don't like the Fantasmic show at DHS, now to me and dw this is 1 of if not the best show on Disney property, again falls into the can't please everyone department. look at it like this we can be at more miserable places like work, so you know what i'll take anything bad at Disney to my best day at work, and this is imho

Victor:mickey:

Arielfan98
05-21-2014, 07:10 PM
It wasn't as great as I expected it to be but then again I'm not 5 years old. I wish they had an Ariel ride when I was a kid, but the grotto sufficed. I will say their attention to detail is impeccable, particularly in the que line. The line moved pretty quickly but the ride itself was not spectacular. It's ok and I'm glad it exists, but I agree something is missing.

lindique
05-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Most of the Little Mermaid Ride is very well done. However, I really think the ending leaves much to be desired - it doesn't really end - it just abruptly stops! There is a whole chunk of the story that is missing.

DonaldDuckUSA
05-25-2014, 06:05 PM
DBF and I were a little let down too.

Ursala is his favorite villain and we were a little let down that she was in a short segment at the end of the ride. The story line was a mere reflection of the movie and not very creative.

I liked Ariel though. I was pretty impressed by her dancing scene. The motions were really smooth. We probably won't do it again until we have kids.

Kenny1113
05-25-2014, 10:15 PM
I agree with most here as well. Which is a shame because I really like the little mermaid movie.

It didn't help that the Ursula room scared the heck out of my niece (almost 3). :(