PDA

View Full Version : My gripe about IllumiNations After-Hours Wind Down event

stephicakes
05-14-2014, 06:09 AM
Let me just preface this by saying we didn’t do the actual party. However, it is what we experienced BEFORE the reserved event that had us shaking our heads. We were in EPCOT this past Saturday evening to nibble, sip, and shop and had made our way to Mexico around 8pm. We were looking forward to having a drink and some chips & salsa at La Cava del Tequila, but when we made our way into the pavilion at 8:15pm, La Cava was roped off and they were no longer letting people enter. We were told it was for a reserved event. We decided to see if there was a table available at San Angel Inn Restaurant since we saw quite a few empty tables, and were told the same thing. No biggie since there are a ton of places to eat, but here’s my main gripe…

If Illuminations is advertised to begin at 9:20pm after Illuminations, why would this venue close an ENTIRE HOUR beforehand to the general public? If Disney is holding a special ‘reservation only event’, it should not affect others up until the event begins. We were a party of 4 and we easily spend $50 a round on drinks alone. A party of 5 was turned away at La Cava sixty seconds after we were – that’s another $50+. Why would they be turning this much money away for an hour before the event in order to prepare some small snacks? Are all the wind-down venues doing this? If so, it would be disappointing. Please post if you have also experienced this, or if this was a fluke?!

Thanks!

spoiledraf
05-14-2014, 07:53 AM
My thought would be they need to have guaranteed empty space available for those who have already paid for a table. I dont think they want to start telling people they have to leave when the event time nears.

VWL Mom
05-14-2014, 09:16 AM
When this was announced my thoughts were how they would handle this. I guess they decided on a cutoff time to allow new guests in to so they can set up and so people don't try to come in and then stay through the event. Out of curiosity does anyone know what time they stopped serving before the event was announced?

#1donaldfan
05-14-2014, 12:38 PM
My thoughts are Disney will seldom ever ask you to leave and if they let you enter then "some" would likely remain longer for the preferred viewing. So, they must figure shutting down entry an hour before would curtail this ?!! just a guess.:confused:

Susan A
05-14-2014, 09:04 PM
It is ironic that those who want to dine before the park closes cannot b/c the tables are reserved for those who are staying late...

VWL Mom
05-14-2014, 09:33 PM
It is ironic that those who want to dine before the park closes cannot b/c the tables are reserved for those who are staying late...

For those looking to have dinner before park closing you can still make ADR's at the Epcot restaurants with seatings until 9P. The Wind Down seating starts at 920P and is offered in the lounges and not the restaurants, so it looks like that is the section closing earlier.

Hammer
05-15-2014, 10:04 AM
When this was announced my thoughts were how they would handle this. I guess they decided on a cutoff time to allow new guests in to so they can set up and so people don't try to come in and then stay through the event. Out of curiosity does anyone know what time they stopped serving before the event was announced?

I believe before this event was announced, you could get seated up until 9:00. I think San Angel Inn is in unique position as this restaurant and Cava share a building. I think they have to cut off San Angel to prevent people from sitting at San Angel Inn at 8:30, have a drink, and then slipping into Cava once the event starts without paying for it.

BrerGnat
05-15-2014, 10:36 AM
I believe before this event was announced, you could get seated up until 9:00. I think San Angel Inn is in unique position as this restaurant and Cava share a building. I think they have to cut off San Angel to prevent people from sitting at San Angel Inn at 8:30, have a drink, and then slipping into Cava once the event starts without paying for it.

My understanding is that colored wristbands are issued to those who have purchased access to the after hours event. There is no way to "slip into" the event. You need a wristband to be in the lounge and to order drinks/food after the event starts. It would be just as easy for them to post a sign stating that "This area is reserved for a special event starting at 9:20. Patrons without wristbands will be asked to leave."

I would have no issue with that. If I showed up at 8:30 to have a drink at one of these venues and was turned away for an event starting almost an hour later, I WOULD have a problem with that. I can have a drink or two in 50 minutes, pay my bill, and leave.

faline
05-15-2014, 12:19 PM
My understanding is that colored wristbands are issued to those who have purchased access to the after hours event.

Yes, when we went to the door, wristbands were placed on our wrists as part of the check-in process.

Hammer
05-15-2014, 01:42 PM
My understanding is that colored wristbands are issued to those who have purchased access to the after hours event. There is no way to "slip into" the event. You need a wristband to be in the lounge and to order drinks/food after the event starts. It would be just as easy for them to post a sign stating that "This area is reserved for a special event starting at 9:20. Patrons without wristbands will be asked to leave."

I would have no issue with that. If I showed up at 8:30 to have a drink at one of these venues and was turned away for an event starting almost an hour later, I WOULD have a problem with that. I can have a drink or two in 50 minutes, pay my bill, and leave.

Natalie, I agree with you, I think it would be better to have a note posted as well as someone at the door reminding people that they will need to be done prior to 9:20. As there are wristbands, it isn't difficult to see who is not a part of the event and tell them they need to leave once it is 9:20.

This event just started and it seems to be well received from the reviews I've read. I'm sure they will work these things out.

stephicakes
05-15-2014, 06:44 PM
If I showed up at 8:30 to have a drink at one of these venues and was turned away for an event starting almost an hour later, I WOULD have a problem with that. I can have a drink or two in 50 minutes, pay my bill, and leave.

That was exactly our thoughts too, Natalie! As Christine mentioned, they could easily have reminded us of a "cutoff" time when we needed to leave. We'd have no problem with that! To turn money down for an hour before the event seemed a little off to me. So I guess it's a reminder that if you want to enjoy La Cava for an hour on those event nights... be there by 7pm since they seemed to close doors by 8:15 :(

Hammer
05-16-2014, 10:18 AM
That was exactly our thoughts too, Natalie! As Christine mentioned, they could easily have reminded us of a "cutoff" time when we needed to leave. We'd have no problem with that! To turn money down for an hour before the event seemed a little off to me. So I guess it's a reminder that if you want to enjoy La Cava for an hour on those event nights... be there by 7pm since they seemed to close doors by 8:15 :(

So, I was thinking about this last night. The three of us sound like reasonable people and would not have any problem leaving prior to 9:20, but I'm sure we have all seen, though, people who harass the CM's when told they can't do something. The "I've paid good money to come here and I should get to do what I darn well feel like" people who refuse to leave. With these venues, add alcohol to the equation and it could really detract from the enjoyment of the people who paid to go to the event. This policy doesn't eliminate the possibility of this still happening, but it does lessen the chance.

The actions of a few takes away from the many :(.

ibelieveindisneymagic
05-16-2014, 10:26 AM
That's what I was thinking ... that no matter how much signage there is, how many times they are told, some people will outrightly refuse to leave, causing issues and a big scene. I wonder if this already happened ...

It is too bad though ...

faline
05-16-2014, 10:31 AM
The refusal to leave could be an issue. We did the After Hours Wind Down last weekend. We had fastpasses for Illuminations so watched it from the designated area between the two stores at the entry to World Showcase. Our venue for the After Hours Wind Down was at Tutto Gusto. I believe we were literally the last to arrive at this location (which isn't very large to begin with) and we were seated at the last possible seating location available within Tutto Gusto - had someone been there earlier and not left - there would have been no place to sit.